Destiny's Fuel, Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Destiny's Fuel, Question

Hi guys, got a though that I am curious about in regards to Destiny's Fuel/power supply.

We know that Destiny needs a Star to refuel. Now what does a Star have specifically, that it can't obtain from another planet body?

The Star is a natural Fusion reactor, what does this output that Destiny needs to stay powered up? Heat? Heavy metals?

Side Question, How the heck does the seed ship collect raw materials to build stargates?

To both those question: We don't know.

No one does and anyone who offers an explanation doesnt know. They can speculate though.

Comment

Super-heated plasma. Pretty much the basic ingredient for a fusion reaction. So assuming that's what Destiny uses for power, you can only find that inside a sun's corona.

As to your second question, I have no idea, but the gates themselves are probably not made of naquada, which explains why each gate has a limited range due to the lack of the unique super-conductive properties found in naquada to sustain a stable wormhole across the entire galaxy.
      "Yo, you wanna join SG-1?"

sigpic

Comment

all you need to do is search http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...-for-the-gates
        sigpic
        Stargate Mods List

I am webxro , google me .SG,ST,SW,B5 Fan since forever.
        StarTrek Excalibur enthusiast and Pardus player .
        GW member infractions : 1

Comment

Well I guess to figure out what makes up both the class K, M and O stars and see what they all have in common. Because we know that Destiny can fly into all 3 of these stars and collect what it needs so the thing all stars have in common is your fuel source. I don’t really have time to look into it further but I would be very interested in the results of such a search. But as the above posts say the results would be purely speculative.
          sigpic

Comment

Let's try and think for a little while , what about Hydrogen ?
            sigpic
            Stargate Mods List

I am webxro , google me .SG,ST,SW,B5 Fan since forever.
            StarTrek Excalibur enthusiast and Pardus player .
            GW member infractions : 1

Comment

Originally posted by webxro View Post
              Yes but class O stars don’t contain much Hydrogen at all, they’re mostly Helium. Destiny filled its reserves from the star and therefore does not run on hydrogen, Well not entirely anyway.
              sigpic

Comment

It is using stellar matter (plasma in star) or is tapping the power flux of the star itself (like a current transformer) and simply "plugs-in" with those collectors. I would go with the latter since it seems compatible with stuff other than mainly hydrogen suns.

Comment

Originally posted by webxro View Post
                  Not enough power from simple hydrogen even if destiny is using fusion. It may be possible that destiny is collecting hydrogen, condensing it into metal for use as some crazy fusion battery but it is probably something subatomic (quarks or smaller) or simply tapping the power of the sun for storage in some sort of capacitor.

Comment

Well .. how about Destiny uses something completely else .. something unseen. da-da-da-damm - what about dark matter?
                    We, kinda, know that it doesn't interact with matter much at all, but does produce a gravitational pull and itself does accelerate due to gravitational pull. Falls. So it makes sense that it would be at highest concentrations near (well, their centers, actually) large, heavy, gravitating objects .. something like stars.
                    It could just fly by .. somehow collect some of the black gold ( hehe ) and use it for energy generation later.
                    This would mean that the star itself is just a .. side effect, so to say.

Now, yes - there a problem in this theory - Destiny could just fly around "normal" space and collect that dark matter. It would take longer, but - no danger of being fried ..
                    But then again - i like to defend myself by saying that it is possible that dark matter could only be collected when it is at high concentrations and that in interstellar space just wont work.
                    .. or the nuclear furnace of the star somehow effects space time and quantum foam and what not to somehow make it possible to collect Dark Matter..

You know - just throwing some ideas here.
                    sigpic

Comment

Destiny doesn’t drop collectors until it’s fully inside the star. If it were powered by dark matter the collectors would have been active well before it flew into the star. I think maybe a plasma engine or something else but the dark matter theory just doesn’t seem to fit.
                      sigpic

Comment

Theres an idea called a 'bussard Ram scoop' where by which a space craft will fly along with either a very large physical or electromagnetic 'net' and capture hydrogen as it flies along which it will then use as fuel. This idea seems to have fallen out of favour with theorists due to the 'drag' negating a significant amount of any aceleration.

Maybe its an evolution of that whereby the Destiny will dip into a star and top up its hydrogen (or some other substance that ancient techology can convert into the relevant fuel) quickly and then shut its collectors and it will no longer have that drag factor.

By that token it should well be able to dip into a gas giant such as a Jovian (jupiter like) and refuel which obviously hasnt been seen so the best answer would be 'star stuff' Theres always the fact that odd things happen to elements when under significant pressures/temps and presumably gravity so Destiny could well be dipping for something quite exotic in terms of elements.

Comment

If Destiny drew power from hydrogen wouldn’t it just be easier to fly into a Gas planet like Jupiter? After all Jupiter is something like 80% hydrogen and you wouldn’t put the ship at risk of (extreme) tidal stresses, extreme heat/UV or if the shields fail temporal distortion. I still maintain that Destiny is not Hydrogen powered. I think that there has to be something that we’re missing, maybe Destiny uses the magnetic fields or somehow taps the EM that comes off stars. I love the alternatives people are coming up with though; hopefully we can find something common to all stars that is capable of power generation.
                          sigpic

Comment

How about Argon gas? Is there any on those stars?

The best guess is an ion engine...

Comment

Hmm doesn't seem like anybody's accepting the super-heated plasma theory...ah well, when the obvious stares you in the face, it gets ignored just as easily it seems...
                              "Yo, you wanna join SG-1?"

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X