This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SGU and Defying Gravity

Seemed like a good a time as any to start my first thread and I haven't seen anyone else mention this before. SGU and comparisons to other shows like BSG are an every day occurence but, aside from a general darkness, I never really saw that. One show that I did see comparisons to was "Defying Gravity".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defying...28TV_series%29

I'm curious if anyone else feels the same way?
    sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Originally posted by xxxevilgrinxxx View Post
    Seemed like a good a time as any to start my first thread and I haven't seen anyone else mention this before. SGU and comparisons to other shows like BSG are an every day occurence but, aside from a general darkness, I never really saw that. One show that I did see comparisons to was "Defying Gravity".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defying...28TV_series%29

I'm curious if anyone else feels the same way?
    i dont see it really apart from them being on a ship.i did think some of the flasbacks in the first few episodes reminded me of lost though.
    sigpic
    The best written female character on trek ever.

Comment

It's the delving into interpersonal relations and the big "faith" questions that do it for me. Just one of those things, I guess. People would keep saying "BSG", and I kept thinking "Defying Gravity". Guess I'm weird that way
      sigpic

Comment

Umm similar. IDK though. I think SGU is less soapy than defying gravity. But they both are character driven shows about a bunch of people cut off from earth in Space.

Perhaps the fact that the shows are shot next door from each other is the reason the comparison is being made(Defying gravity shoots on Atlantis' old village set)?
        sigpic

Comment

LOL! Everything shot in Vancouver has that feel to me
          sigpic

Comment

They have been compared before, and not positively.
            ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

that's okay, I'm positive enough even for that *cheesy grin*
              sigpic

Comment

In both, space is cold, and empty, and oppressive, and very dangerous place. They are similar with this attempt to be realistic.
                Everything will be okay in the end.
                If it's not okay, it's not the end.

Comment

There are similarities, in terms of how they both try to be character-focused shows. I think Defying Gravity was more of a character show though. All the flashbacks were meant to slowly unravel the types of personalities each character had. SGU has some character drama but also a lot more Stargate-like aspects like aliens, space battles, etc.
                  sigpic

Comment

I know what you mean. I love both shows to death, and I think it's such a shame that Defying Gravity was cancelled. But I do think that they have more differences that similarities.

Defying Gravity is a lot deeper than SGU, it deals with a lot more mature themes and delves right into the heart of what it is to be human, and the relationships between the characters.

SGU is about the kind of hope that ordinary people find in themselves or each other when thrust into a life and death situation, and how external forces (e.g. the blue aliens, the planet in "Faith" etc.) affect these characters and how they get themselves out of these situations.

That is how I interpret each show however, and other people may of different interpretations. Defying Gravity is about the characters and what it means to be human, whereas SGU is about how these external sci-fi elements effect the characters.

Similar, I agree, but also different. I love both though

Comment

In my opinion, comparing SGU to Defying Gravity is an insult to SGU. But then again I'm bitter towards prime time driven networks in general...and them trying to make women cry with every show they come out with. It didn't have the proper aspects to be classified a good show to me. The fact that it was canceled so quickly seems to mean a lot of others felt the same way. But you never know, if Stargate didn't have such a huge following to begin with, maybe SGU wouldn't have made it? I would certainly hope it would have as I enjoy the show, but it's along the same lines in that sense I guess.
                      sigpic
                      Originally posted by dacooker
                      The ships named Destiny for a reason....three years my friend, three years....

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Evil 37 View Post
                        I know what you mean. I love both shows to death, and I think it's such a shame that Defying Gravity was cancelled. But I do think that they have more differences that similarities.

Defying Gravity is a lot deeper than SGU, it deals with a lot more mature themes and delves right into the heart of what it is to be human, and the relationships between the characters.

SGU is about the kind of hope that ordinary people find in themselves or each other when thrust into a life and death situation, and how external forces (e.g. the blue aliens, the planet in "Faith" etc.) affect these characters and how they get themselves out of these situations.

That is how I interpret each show however, and other people may of different interpretations. Defying Gravity is about the characters and what it means to be human, whereas SGU is about how these external sci-fi elements effect the characters.

Similar, I agree, but also different. I love both though
                        yes, there are differences, no doubt, but in this (in bold) I saw so many of the similarities (far more than to BSG, IMO)

Originally posted by Brian View Post
                        In my opinion, comparing SGU to Defying Gravity is an insult to SGU. But then again I'm bitter towards prime time driven networks in general...and them trying to make women cry with every show they come out with. It didn't have the proper aspects to be classified a good show to me. The fact that it was canceled so quickly seems to mean a lot of others felt the same way. But you never know, if Stargate didn't have such a huge following to begin with, maybe SGU wouldn't have made it? I would certainly hope it would have as I enjoy the show, but it's along the same lines in that sense I guess.
                        well, I wouldn't say that. Firefly, probably one of the best series ever made, got cancelled too, so I think taking too much from what will get cancelled and what won't is saying a bit much. If anything, shows seem to get cancelled that push an envelope, brain wise.
                        sigpic

Comment

well, I wouldn't say that. Firefly, probably one of the best series ever made, got cancelled too, so I think taking too much from what will get cancelled and what won't is saying a bit much. If anything, shows seem to get cancelled that push an envelope, brain wise.
                          Yea there are quite a few shows that aren't given a fair chance. And its mostly on the major networks, where anything out of the ordinary gets cancelled too quickly in order to make room for a 100th version of CSI or Law and Order.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MattSilver 3k View Post
                            They have been compared before, and not positively.
                            I enjoyed Defying Gravity. But..yeah combining your favorite show with Defying Gravity is a borderline insult.

Comment

If anything, shows seem to get cancelled that push an envelope, brain wise.
                              I'd say these are shows who just can't find some already existing fanbase's attention- like Jericho (post apocalyptic drama), Day Break (crime show with sci-fi/Groundhog Day elements), Moonlight (vampire show, only for mature people and before Twilight phenomenon), Firefly (a combination of sci-fi and western).

SGU is certainly not your typical sci-fi show, even if compared to Firefly or BSG... I'd say that SGU is the most original thing in Stargate franchize... therefore, it also struggles a bit. Of course, it helps that it's a Stargate show. If it were just called "Universe", I doubt it would be picked up for the 2nd season... not because it's a bad show but simply because it's an odd one. In what way? The same things that people don't like about it- contemporary music and (mostly on imdb) Eli Wallace character.

In your typical sci-fi show (even in BSG) there is no such thing a "Brand New" song and a character in stupid t-shirt who, in the middle of serious discussion of how some planet was created somewhere in some distant galaxy, would drop "Genesis Device!" line... There are simply no other sci-fi shows that would be set in 2010 and would feature human characters on space ships. There was "Farscape" but the main guy was tyhe only human in that galaxy, not that the show was all about humans.

It's not like it is something new. We all know that Stargate is about this and that. But previous two shows didn't really look that different from Trek or other shows (except somewhere in the middle of SG-1, it's golden years) and there wasn't really so many things that would remind us that these are real modern day people.
                              - the guest member of SGU book club

Comment

Working...
                              X