No announcement yet.

Big Finish Audio Dramas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That certainly bodes well for my wallet. Or at least, better...
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
      That certainly bodes well for my wallet. Or at least, better...

Also - if you subscribe you usually get things cheaper. Doctor Who Unbound, for example, (which I've not had the pleasure of yet), costs £5 each (total of 8) but about £30 for the lot in a oner...

EDIT:

I've just purchased S1-3 of Jago & Litefoot. That's THIS months purchases.... next month it's going to be the next 12 monthly audios (after Army of Darkness) and the 4th Doctor S1-2 subscription...

I'm loving it so far, but am finding every other Main Range drama to be a bit substandard, alas. It seems to me like with the increasing range of spin offs and side dramas, the main range may have suffered a little more... "Nocturne" and "Year of the Pig" were both dismal...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Have either of you had any problems receiving CDs?

I placed a large order on 8th January, which I still haven't received. Nor have I had any response to e-mails sent. This seems odd to me, as I've always found Big Finish to be very helpful in the past. I don't know whether to be worried or not.

Incidentally I know I can download the audios from my account page on Big Finish but I prefer to have CDs.

Edit - I'm now trying to get a response via their Forum. Let's see if that works.

Edit edit - Reading other peoples comments, it seems there is a large backlog of orders waiting to be sent out. Some people are waiting for CDs ordered before Christmas.
        Last edited by Blencathra; 07 February 2014, 01:26 AM.

Comment

Hmm so I'll be waiting a long time for my order then? Poo. Oh well, I guess that kind of karmically balances out my earlier need for NOWNOWNOW...
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

You may get them Digi. I also ordered a Blake's 7 CD on 22nd January and that arrived promptly (bloody good it was too! ). I don't know why some orders are being sent and others are not. I wonder if the increase in their popularity has caught Big Finish off guard.

BTW you will be able to download your CDs from your account page. I could do that with my order if I wanted to, but my preferred method of listening is on my CD player.

Edit - Got a response on the Big Finish Forum. My order should have arrived by now, so they are re-sending it.
            Last edited by Blencathra; 07 February 2014, 04:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Blencathra View Post
              You may get them Digi. I also ordered a Blake's 7 CD on 22nd January and that arrived promptly (bloody good it was too! ).
              Hmmmm...I guess I will just have to see then! I also have the transit time (and oh lord, the customs duties) of international shipping to contend with. They gave me a rather broad delivery estimate (28 days), so I have some time to just wait and see.

I don't know why some orders are being sent and others are not. I wonder if the increase in their popularity has caught Big Finish off guard.
              Yeah and damn you and FOB both for that, thank you very much

BTW you will be able to download your CDs from your account page. I could do that with my order if I wanted to, but my preferred method of listening is on my CD player.
              I noticed that yes...I guess it isn't available for everything, but it is for most things. At any rate, I did order physical CDs and will continue to do so.

I've got almost all of the classic DW DVDs (I think I'm down to about 4 I'm still missing), which ended up being a lot more shelf space than I wanted to give up for all those DVD cases. So what I ended up doing was buying one of those binders with disc pages, which holds something like 250-300 discs, and migrated all the DVDs over to that and just boxed up the cases.

So getting the BF audios on CD is going to be nice; I can add them into my Who binder about where I figure they fit into the chronology of it all. Plus, Paul McGann is finally going to have more than one entry

On another note, I almost made myself late for work this morning, listening to the Seventh Doctor story Flip-Flop. Of all the audios I've listened to so far, this one definitely ranks very close to the top. Just could not stop listening (to time being twisted into a pretzel), and my brain is still broken by the ending--I'm still trying to wrap my head around how it all resolved.

If you've not heard it, or not listened to much of the Seventh range, I highly highly recommend it. Because, wow.

Alternatively, Bang-Bang-A-Boom was absolutely cringe-inducingly bad. I don't know how (or why) I even managed to finish the thing!

Comment

So last night, I discovered that the Big Finish website is AGONIZINGLY slow. I ponied up and bought the CD bundle of Dark Eyes 2-4, but given their shipping cycle I decided to download it from their site in the interim.

No faster than 30 kb/s the whole time I was keeping an eye on it. I had to leave the thing running overnight!

Comment

Yeah and damn you and FOB both for that, thank you very much
                  You're welcome

I've got almost all of the classic DW DVDs (I think I'm down to about 4 I'm still missing), which ended up being a lot more shelf space than I wanted to give up for all those DVD cases. So what I ended up doing was buying one of those binders with disc pages, which holds something like 250-300 discs, and migrated all the DVDs over to that and just boxed up the cases.

So getting the BF audios on CD is going to be nice; I can add them into my Who binder about where I figure they fit into the chronology of it all. Plus, Paul McGann is finally going to have more than one entry
                  ooo.... see, I have my DW DVDs in a similar folder... you've now tempted me to do just the same with the audios and the DW DVDs in one... *plots*

On another note, I almost made myself late for work this morning, listening to the Seventh Doctor story Flip-Flop. Of all the audios I've listened to so far, this one definitely ranks very close to the top. Just could not stop listening (to time being twisted into a pretzel), and my brain is still broken by the ending--I'm still trying to wrap my head around how it all resolved.

If you've not heard it, or not listened to much of the Seventh range, I highly highly recommend it. Because, wow.

Alternatively, Bang-Bang-A-Boom was absolutely cringe-inducingly bad. I don't know how (or why) I even managed to finish the thing!
                  Flip-Flop is excellent!!! But SO timey-wimey, and I think a LITTLE against the laws of physics (Captain!), even Who's 'laws'...

Bang-bang-a-boom?

Well... yes. It's *meant* to be cringe-worthy.... that's why it's great! It was a parody of US television sci-fi and the Eurovision song contest at the same time... I suspect it was Brit humour, but everyone in it was meant to be a a cliche! And Logon was a take on good ol' Terry Wogan...

So last night, I discovered that the Big Finish website is AGONIZINGLY slow. I ponied up and bought the CD bundle of Dark Eyes 2-4, but given their shipping cycle I decided to download it from their site in the interim.

No faster than 30 kb/s the whole time I was keeping an eye on it. I had to leave the thing running overnight!
                  Hm, odd, I've NEVER had probs with their site...

I've been listening to some great ones recently...

Frozen Time is an all time favourite 7th Doctor story now, highly recommend - great new approach to a certain reptilianesque species in Who... (spoilers!). Also been re-listening to NEDA again, as part of my 'marathon'. Really DO love 'Human Resources' and the Cybermen... in fact, they've rapidly climbed to be one of my favourite villains of all time...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I'm absolutely kicking myself that I didn't start to listen to Big Finish stuff earlier. There are so many excellent plays to listen to. I do wish I'd started years ago.

At the moment I'm very slowly making my way through the Main Range. Though last night I took a slight detour & listened to Blake's 7 Battlefield, which was fantastic and left me on such a cliffhanger!! Arrgghhh! I can't wait for the next one! [BTW It amused me that Dan "Strax" Starkey was in it and the planet they visited was called Straxis.]

I think tonight I really need to refresh my memory of Dark Eyes before (hopefully) starting Dark Eyes 2 tomorrow.

Comment

Big Finish are having a sale on Companion Chronicles series 1-4 - £5 each CD or download.

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/doct...l-offer-now-on
                      Last edited by Blencathra; 14 February 2014, 08:07 AM.

Comment

Wheeeee! Dark Eyes 2 has just come in the post! But unfortunately my daughter wants me to take her shopping so I can't listen to it just yet.

Comment

Wheeeee! Dark Eyes 2 has just come in the post! But unfortunately my daughter wants me to take her shopping so I can't listen to it just yet.
                          I'm delaying listening to it until my marathon reaches it... Which is *kinda* frustrating....

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Listened to LIVE 34 the other day. Ooh that was a fun one!

In BF news, apparently there's a new Seventh Doctor trilogy of stories on the way.

SAMUEL WEST JOINS THE SEVENTH DOCTOR
                            The next Doctor Who trilogy starring Sylvester McCoy as the Doctor was completed in studio today, with special guest Samuel West in attendance, playing Aristophanes!

It turns out that the Seventh Doctor (Sylvester McCoy) has quite a bit invested in famed Greek playwright Aristophanes (Samuel West - son of acting legends Timothy West and Prunella Scales, star of Any Human Heart, Mr Selfridge and currently on TV screens in Fleming). The Doctor, Ace (Sophie Aldred) and Hex (Philip Olivier) drop by for a visit in one of our two main range September releases, Doctor Who: Mask of Tragedy.

Written by James Goss with a beautiful blend of the tragic and comic, there's romance, drama on an epic scale and a spot of feminism thrown in. But to say more would be to give too much away!

Doctor Who: Mask of Tragedy is the second story in this year's main range Seventh Doctor trilogy. Already recorded is Jonathan Morris's Revenge of the Swarm, featuring the return of the monster last seen in TV story The Invisible Enemy, and Signs & Wonders by Matt Fitton, which wraps the trilogy up and is also already in the can.

Now I have to figure out when these stories occur!

Comment

Well since I last posted I've listened to a ton, and spent a ridiculous amount of money at the BF website. And still I want MORE!

Related: Listened to the Seventh Doctor (sorta) story "Protect and Survive" last night. Holy freaking grim, Batman. Loved it. While there are a few misses here and there, I'm blown away by how much I'm enjoying the Seventh Doctor's stories. Makes me think that maybe I ought to check out Fifth's & Sixth's stories too, even though they were far from my favourite Doctors.

Comment

Aren't they fantastic!

I haven't listened to anywhere near as many as I would like to. I have them lined up ready & waiting but no time to listen to them.

Though last night I did get chance to listen to The Scorchies, a companion chronicle with Katy Manning. It might not be everyone's cup of tea but I thought it was absolutely brilliant. It reminded me very much of the kiddies programmes I used to watch when I was little (many moons ago )

Comment

Working...
                                X