Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone think the CGI has gone worse, not better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Dragon was awful, but space stuff in SG-1 is usually pretty good. I think stuff like the dragon, if they can't do it well they shouldn't do it at all.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
      The Dragon was awful, but space stuff in SG-1 is usually pretty good. I think stuff like the dragon, if they can't do it well they shouldn't do it at all.
      You have to realize that doing Ships is easier than dragons. It's tough and while it was obviously CG I thought that it looked really good and enjoyed it.
      Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
      "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
      Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
        You have to realize that doing Ships is easier than dragons. It's tough and while it was obviously CG I thought that it looked really good and enjoyed it.
        That's exactly my point, it was obviously (in my opinion and quite a few others it seems) too much for them, if they can't make a good job of it I personally would rather they didn't bother at all...

Comment

I think its definatly better.

But factors play a big role like:

1/The story

2/The context of the CGI

3/How your viewing the ep (HR, HD, or pal)
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by metabog View Post
            Does anybody else think the special effects and editing in general have become more and more... cheap?

I mean they keep using more and more CGI explosions, that just look like crap, especially the fire the dragon was breathing in the quest, and many others. And not just that, but the sets are starting to look fake, apparently it's the lighting, the camera work... everything.

Looking back at the earlier seasons, the effects look WAY better.

Not to mention the opening credits, it looks like some Fox Kids transformers thing, the CGI looks aweful, and so does the turning gate.

What's going on?
            Yes, the gate in the credits looks horribly cheap. Barely above some Babylon 5 rendering level.

That said, the first time I saw the opening credits from a season 3 SGA episode I downloaded, I thought it was made by an amateur.

That said, the rest of the effects are particularily good, but it always boils down to ships or super powers.

It gets worse when they start making animals or natural sceneries.
            The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

That's exactly my point, it was obviously (in my opinion and quite a few others it seems) too much for them, if they can't make a good job of it I personally would rather they didn't bother at all...
              Well you miss my point. All dragons are obviously CG. Look at Eragon, D&D, Narnia or any other movie you can tell. It is noticable yes but I still think it looked fine.

Comment

The CGI is better and better in every season. I wish they had more money to make every episode as a season opener. Nowadays only the story (and the budget) can hold them back, because everything is possible with the computer. We never saw soo many CGI alien in SG show (10x05, 10x10, 10x11, Atlantis 3x12, 3x19). I hope they will show as different ecosystems, forests on the planets soon. I think that Stargate : Worlds game will be a big help to get new fans and show new direction to the TV shows.
                Last edited by Platschu; 07 February 2007, 09:40 AM.
                "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                  The CGI is better and better in every season. I wish they had more money to make every episode as a season opener. Nowadays only the story (and the budget) can hold them back, because everything is possible with the computer. We never saw soo many CGI alien in SG show (10x05, 10x10, 10x11, Atlantis 3x12, 3x19). I hope they will show as different ecosystems, forests on the planets soon. I think that Stargate : Worlds game will be a big help to get new fans and show new direction to the TV shows.
                  Yeah they do get better. They are never held back IMO as each ep has great effects and some better than others ie season openers and finale's always have better effects.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
                    Well you miss my point. All dragons are obviously CG. Look at Eragon, D&D, Narnia or any other movie you can tell. It is noticable yes but I still think it looked fine.
                    Yeah but it those movies they had enough skill/time/money to do a good job of it, the dragon in SG-1 was terrible, made a mockery of the episode imo it was so bad...

Comment

Yeah but it those movies they had enough skill/time/money to do a good job of it, the dragon in SG-1 was terrible, made a mockery of the episode imo it was so bad...
                      They have enough skill to do a great job IMO and I'll concede that the dragon was not the best but it was still fine IMO.

Comment

Universe got the best in my opinion. Btw, just LOOK at the first Stargate activation(in the original movie) and compare it to nowadays(when they even bother to show it to us). Btw, Devlin may one day make a movie based on the original which would make all three TV series alternate realities(I'd love to see it).
                        "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Originally posted by rushy View Post
                          Universe got the best in my opinion. Btw, just LOOK at the first Stargate activation(in the original movie) and compare it to nowadays(when they even bother to show it to us). Btw, Devlin may one day make a movie based on the original which would make all three TV series alternate realities(I'd love to see it).
                          SGU had a larger budget than SG-1 or SGA did. I think read that in an article before it (Air) premiered.
                          sigpic

Comment

Thread revived after five years of inactivity.

Originally posted by talyn2k1 View Post
                            When you start using cg more regularly the $$ spent soon mount up and it becomes more and more difficult to maintain the same quality.
                            Is this true? I was under the impression that CG visual effects have become cheaper than physical special effects in many cases. I read, for example, that Sanctuary is financially viable because it is filmed almost entirely on green screen. I suppose the cost varies by what's produced. Can anyone clarify?

Comment

Universe got the best in my opinion.
                              Boring soap opera. meh Regardless, the original question about CGI going down hill is not directed towards the franchise. Look at where this thread is. The question is about SG-1's tenth season, suggesting that earlier seasons had better CGI. Context, Rushy.

Btw, just LOOK at the first Stargate activation(in the original movie) and compare it to nowadays(when they even bother to show it to us).
                              The stargate, as depicted in the original film, remains my favorite. Yeah, the SG-1 stargates are suppose to be the same, and I liked the glowing chevrons. However, I liked how they were depicted in the films. Each chevron open and closed instead of just the one at the top. The top chevron was also unique, being the point of origin. Additionally, both stargates had a different set of symbols, constellations as seen from that planet. This meant that the stargate wouldn't work if transplanted to another world. Granted, not exactly TV friendly with SG-1 and Atlantis transplanting stargates now and then. Still, great concept as originally presented.

Btw, Devlin may one day make a movie based on the original which would make all three TV series alternate realities(I'd love to see it).
                              They won't be treated as an alternate reality. If Emmerich and Devlin ever make their Stargate sequels, they will ignore everything but the original film. However, the original film ended with "The End." I don't believe there were ever plans for a sequel. Have Emmerich and Devlin ever done a sequel to one of their movies? They're just jealous they didn't capitalize on the TV saga as Brad Wright and friends did.

Comment

Some things are better, some things are worse. But thank god that CGI is never as bad as the CGI used in "Stephen King's The Langoliers" for the Langoliers.
                                "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Working...
                                X