Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Easy for me

1. No more than 0% Wil Wheaton
    2. Ways to introduce dialogue scenes that isn't "Character A is doing something and Character B interrupts them" and the famous walk and talk.
    3. Replace the writing staff with people who can go beyond making each character a Sci-Fi stereotype
    4. Don't go down the inevitable road where the Robot begins to develop feelings
    5. Obliterate almost all the character backstories, in particular the discount Han Solo.
    7. Either kill off One or completely write out his character with no explanation at all.
    8. If you can't obliterate the backstories, find better ways to explore it than "Dude you have to go inside his brain, just be careful, there might be exposition inside"
    Tst

Comment

Originally posted by spinny magee View Post
      Easy for me

1. No more than 0% Wil Wheaton
      2. Ways to introduce dialogue scenes that isn't "Character A is doing something and Character B interrupts them" and the famous walk and talk.
      3. Replace the writing staff with people who can go beyond making each character a Sci-Fi stereotype
      4. Don't go down the inevitable road where the Robot begins to develop feelings
      5. Obliterate almost all the character backstories, in particular the discount Han Solo.
      7. Either kill off One or completely write out his character with no explanation at all.
      8. If you can't obliterate the backstories, find better ways to explore it than "Dude you have to go inside his brain, just be careful, there might be exposition inside"
      Which one is the "discount" Han Solo?

Comment

Originally posted by pakar View Post
        I don't know who are these people who according to the moderator are haters who allways are complaining etc. If someone wants to ignore my posts no problem with me. If some people can't tolerate different opinions then you are wellcome to do a "discussion" where everyone will say "what a great show". Have fun.
        My problem is you don't actually say WHY you don't like it. You just say, repeatedly, that you hate it, or that you think it should be cancelled, without any sort of reason. That's not much basis for a discussion, but more of a speedbump in the middle of the legitimate discussion. I don't like a lot of shows either but you don't see me going into their sections of the site and saying "this deserves to be cancelled", as there is no point in such discourse.

---

Anyway, if at least Dominion gets renewed next year on top of these two, I'll be happy for next summer. If Defiance doesn't get renewed it would be disappointing but at least it ended on somewhat of a high note. And I could see the three other series carrying on summer Fridays for Syfy.

Hopefully next season they explain a bit more of the universe in the series, as unlike Killjoys I feel like we don't know much about anything outside the ship.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
          Which one is the "discount" Han Solo?
          Both actually, I forgot One's name is also literally a discount Han.
          Tst

Comment

Originally posted by spinny magee View Post
            Both actually, I forgot One's name is also literally a discount Han.
            No. Just no.
            Last edited by Britta; 04 September 2015, 02:28 AM.

"BRITTA? WHAT KIND OF LAME NAME IS THAT?"

Comment

I think my biggest issue with any of these shows, Defiance, Dark Matter, Killjoys, Dominion, is that the network/show runners think that to be 'edgy' they need to include gratuitous gore and the S word as much as possible.

I noticed on an episode of Dominion that an 8 ball got ran over and we get to see his head explode in a big red splash, and it's certainly laughably obvious that show writers are gleefully inserting the now allowed S word into their shows at every opportunity.

Edgy is the plot, not gore or language. It's almost to the point of making up a drinking game for gore or S (and I'm noticing that to be 'edgy' shows much think they need to be full of S)
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                I think my biggest issue with any of these shows, Defiance, Dark Matter, Killjoys, Dominion, is that the network/show runners think that to be 'edgy' they need to include gratuitous gore and the S word as much as possible.
                I noticed that, too, although I'm not sure it's limited to sci-fi. It's probably just a more realistic way that people talk today. (I mean, that depends on who you ask, but it seems normal to me.)

There wasn't much language in Stargate for all of the violence and terror that the characters experienced, which I found understandable given the audience and general upbeat atmosphere of the show but kind of unrealistic at the same time.
                rest easy now

sigpic

everything will be all right

// tumblr //

Comment

I would have to say that #3 is the discount Han Solo.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
                    I would have to say that #3 is the discount Han Solo.
                    Feels more like Jayne from Firefly to me.
                    sigpic

Comment

It seems like a pretty simplistic comparison to me
                      Originally posted by aretood2
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

Han Solo is a pretty straightforward character archetype. You're probably going to find an endless series of characters similar to him in some respect in fiction, especially fiction set in space.
                        "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

One could argue that Jack O'Neill is a lot like Han Solo. The 'hero with a dark or at least with dark gray bits of a past' that joins the fight.

Now he wasn't a mercenary like Han, but her certainly got into Daniel's stopping of the goa'uld.

Mr Reese in Person of Interest would also fit.

The action hero, the jaded warrior, the 'seen it before' person who gets behind someone else's cause and becomes a part of it.
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I always thought Vala was kind of a female Han Solo but I digress. I would like to find out more about 1 2 5 6 and I enjoy the Android I was a kinda shipper of 1 and 2 but now not sure 3 is more likable to me then Jayne from Firefly who most people say he was like I hated Jayne but I don't hate 3 not my favorite but don't hate him 4 not wild about him but don't hate him still little too cold for me
                            Last edited by poundpuppy29; 09 September 2015, 07:01 PM.
                            sigpic
                            My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
                            poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

Yeah for renewal!!!

It took me half the season to warm up to DM. Though I usually watch at least the first season of a sci-fi show to see if I'll like since I'm more likely to watch sci-fi than anything else.

I want to see more of Wil Wheaton, David Hewlett, and Torri Higginson! I like the short season and hope it stays that way. And well, I'm glad to see Canadian made sci-fi shows getting enough money from other resources to make them in the first place. And since I have never had the um pleasure of watching SyFy channel itself, I thank them for helping out the Space station in Canada. And also with Killjoys.
                              Orphan Black: Join the Clone Club Dance Party!

Comment

So because I found the press release for Killjoys numbers in Canada, I thought I'd check out Dark Matter also.

I could not find a Bell Media press release for after the finale of DM though.
                                Season high was episode 7 @534,000. and yes this is huge for Space. Since I found that Killjoys was the number one show and this one was counted as a big hit also, I'm assuming it was number 2 for the Space station.

Bell Media isn't always forthcoming with numbers for Space shows. So I'm a bit surprised I even found the finale number for Killjoys. Though it seems both shows are a bit hit here in Canada. So I'm hoping we get awesome second seasons! I'm saying Goodbye to Canada's Lost Girl and Continuum this fall so I am glad I will have these shows to fill those voids.
                                Orphan Black: Join the Clone Club Dance Party!

Comment

Working...
                                X