The "no YES or NO" Spn Q&A game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starg8fans View Post
    Okay, no way I can phrase this as "yes or no' - who do you think takes more after their father, Sam or Dean?
    What happened to Salamas? This has turned into a Stars/Crichiel private game!! That's all right though, I'm still having fun!

In hunting, I would say Dean is more like John. But as the whole person package, absolutely Sam is way more of a John-clone. The passion, the way they are both willing to put a hunt before family. When Dean made the comment about how alike Sam and John were in Jump the Shark, I totally agreed with that.

Which of the boys do you think is more like their mother (from the little we've seen of her.)?

Comment

Originally posted by Crichiel View Post
      What happened to Salamas? This has turned into a Stars/Crichiel private game!! That's all right though, I'm still having fun!

In hunting, I would say Dean is more like John. But as the whole person package, absolutely Sam is way more of a John-clone. The passion, the way they are both willing to put a hunt before family. When Dean made the comment about how alike Sam and John were in Jump the Shark, I totally agreed with that.

Which of the boys do you think is more like their mother (from the little we've seen of her.)?
      I am also still lurking, because this is one of the most interesting threads around!

Here I'd go for Sam as the one who was a hunter but decides against it, at least until he was more or less forced to go hunting again. There is also the he believes and prays, which (as stated by his brother) was also something their mother did. For more we just don't know Mary good enough.

Do you think that it is evident, that Kripke knew from the start what he had in mind for the brothers, or are the changes he made during the run big enough that some things from the earlier seasons are wrong now?
      The cake is a lie!

Comment

Originally posted by iolanda View Post
        I am also still lurking, because this is one of the most interesting threads around!
        Glad you decided to join in again!

Do you think that it is evident, that Kripke knew from the start what he had in mind for the brothers, or are the changes he made during the run big enough that some things from the earlier seasons are wrong now?
        I know for a fact that Kripke made a lot of important decisions while the show was already airing, such as bringing in the angels. That was not planned from the start. But as yet I have not found any major plot holes or inconsistencies. I'm planning an A-Z re-watch soon, though, so I'll look be looking out for anything that doesn't gel based on what I know is to come.

Would you watch a spin-off of the show that didn't have Sam and Dean in it? And if so, what secondary character would you like it to center around?

sigpic
        Check out my SGA and Fringe fanfics on fanfiction.net

Comment

Hi, iolanda! I am so glad you find us entertaining, I find myself rather dull! Didn't mean to make you come out of lurking, but it's so nice to have another voice join in!

Would you watch a spin-off of the show that didn't have Sam and Dean in it? And if so, what secondary character would you like it to center around?
          This wouldn't be a 'yes/no' question for me anyhow, it is more complicated than that. It would totally depend on what the show is about, not who was in it. I don't watch spin-offs JUST because it is a spin-off of a show I like. I have written other posts about this in the Stargate threads. Let's see if I can condense them and just hit a couple of my main points.

I will give a proven creator (Joss Whedon, J.J. Abrams, Brad Wright) and a handful of favourite actors, a little bit more leeway than others when choosing a new show to watch. But for the most part I really pick which shows to watch by how much the premise appeals to me. I've learned not to trust implicitly that because I liked one show, I will like the other.

Examples: I loved SG-1, liked SGA, have no interest in the whole premise of SGU. I loved Buffy, loved Angel, loved Firefly, but can't get myself to care about the story going on the The Dollhouse. Liked Alias, love Lost, am 'meh' about Fringe. This is true of actors, too. I gave Sanctuary more of a shot than most shows I try, but I just couldn't get into it no matter how much I love Amanda.

On the other hand, I didn't know anyone involved in Chuck (outside a familiarity with Adam Baldwin), but the idea of the show grabbed my attention and I loved it first time I saw it. I didn't think much of Castle the first couple of episodes I saw, but I gave it a little more time because I like Nathan Fillion so much and I learned to like it. Not love it, but I do enjoy it.

Hmm. Guess I COULDN'T condense it very well! Sorry, trying to get to the point here which is...If a Supernatural spin-off were announced, it would first of all depend on if Kripke were involved. Then I would want to know which writers were retained. Then I would want to know the premise. THEN I would want to know who the characters were, and THEN I would probably give it a shot (4-6 episodes) to see how well the idea is executed and judge it like I would any new show. If it holds my interest, I'd keep watching. If not, I wouldn't spend my precious little free time watching a show I don't like out of a feeling of loyalty!

Ok, I'll try and ask a simple one! (bet you thought yours was when you asked it, didn't you starg8fans! )

Do you think Supernatural ever crosses this line into too melodramatic/soap opera-y?

Comment

This wouldn't be a 'yes/no' question for me anyhow, it is more complicated than that.

<snipped for length>

Ok, I'll try and ask a simple one! (bet you thought yours was when you asked it, didn't you starg8fans! )
            Hey, I enjoyed hearing your thoughts. Don't know a lot of the shows you mentioned, but your point was definitely well documented.

Do you think Supernatural ever crosses this line into too melodramatic/soap opera-y?
            Surprisingly, it doesn't. And I credit the talent of the actors with this. If you were reading about all this heartbreak and saving each other, it would sound like complete drivel. But the way they present it is done with - yes - a lot of emotion, but it feels... can't really find the word for it, but definitely not sappy. Which is what I associate with soap operas, although I'm no judge really since I don't watch them. I guess the closest it ever came to this was when
            Spoiler:
            the boys separated at the end of Good God Y'all.

Okay, another open ended one - what would you say are the boys' biggest weaknesses, apart from each other?

sigpic

Comment

Okay, another open ended one - what would you say are the boys' biggest weaknesses, apart from each other?
              Dean-Acts before he thinks things through too often.

Sam-In the past couple of seasons his weakness has become that he looks TOO much at the bigger picture and isn't paying enough attention to the immediate consequences.

Is there an episode that, if you think about it objectively, isn't a very believable story (or even what you would consider 'good'), but you enjoy it anyway because Jared and Jensen acted above the poor material?

Comment

Hey, congrats on passing 2,000 posts! *high fives*

Is there an episode that, if you think about it objectively, isn't a very believable story (or even what you would consider 'good'), but you enjoy it anyway because Jared and Jensen acted above the poor material?
                Well, I'm no standard because I'm an extremely gullible person, and I'll accept just about anything. I guess the one episode that comes to mind here is Croatoan. A demonic virus? I mean, what the heck? It's also hard to portray since it's invisible, but I think our boys did an outstanding job at showing how they dealt with the consequences.

Which brings me to my next question - do you think Croatoan had the worst (or best? ) cliffhanger of all Spn eps, or is there another you rate higher?

sigpic

Comment

Croatoan had a special cliffhanger? *scratches head* Oh, wait, that was the scene with the boys at the river, now I see what you mean. Yes that would have been some wait for the next episode If I hadn't watched it on DVD for the first time.

But the worst (and with this: best) cliffhanger is the end of S3 for me. You just think that this might be the right time to pull something out of the hat, but no.

There are a lot of things which are quite unrealistic in SPN, like that the boys never really run out of money, con their way into nearly everything, can park their not very decent car everywhere and not get caught, sometimes very fast changes of daytimes, and so on. Do these points bother you?
                  The cake is a lie!

Comment

Hey, congrats on passing 2,000 posts! *high fives*
                    Thanks!

There are a lot of things which are quite unrealistic in SPN, like that the boys never really run out of money, con their way into nearly everything, can park their not very decent car everywhere and not get caught, sometimes very fast changes of daytimes, and so on. Do these points bother you?
                    It really doesn't. I have suspension of disbelief like you wouldn't believe. I figure if you are buying the premise of demons, guns with magic bullets, and time travel, you don't quibble about the little details! If you are noting things like where they park, then the story must not be that interesting....and that is almost never the case with Supernatural.

Do you think Jared is due for a new hairstyle?

Comment

Do you think Jared is due for a new hairstyle?
                      Good Question!

Imho, Jared is. Not so much Sammy, though because I think that the hair is part of the role but I'd love to see Jared with a total different hairstyle, just for the change of it. I know that he had shorter hair in Gilmore Girls, but the style wasn't that different. I guess he counts on it that the longer hair makes him appear not as tall as he is, because he would definitely appear taller with a buzz cut (see: Chris Heyerdahl).

And just because I am watching it at the moment: What do you think would have happened, if Dean hadn't made the deal in AHBL, concerning the current storyarc?
                      The cake is a lie!

Comment

And just because I am watching it at the moment: What do you think would have happened, if Dean hadn't made the deal in AHBL, concerning the current storyarc?
                        Interesting question. Knowing what we know today,
                        Spoiler:
                        I'd have to say we would probably still be where we are now. If Sam and Dean are Lucifer's and Michael's vessels, and their ultimate battle had been ordained from the dawn of time, some higher power would have found a way to make the important things happen.
                        Sam would have somehow come back from the dead, and Dean would have gone to hell.

Did you think Ruby was actually on the boys' side at the beginning of S4?

sigpic

Comment

Did you think Ruby was actually on the boys' side at the beginning of S4?
                          I would have guessed 'no', but before I even gave it too much thought, I had listened to the commentary on Lucifer Rising where Kripke said the intention was ALWAYS that Ruby was evil and working for Lilith, from the time she showed up in Magnificent Seven.

Is there any character you would like to see made more of a regular (like Castiel is a regular, not like Dean and Sam!)?

Comment

Is there any character you would like to see made more of a regular (like Castiel is a regular, not like Dean and Sam!)?
                            I'd say the Trickster. Especially after the recent developments he could make for a great story arc, oscillating between the different camps. And causing havoc along the way. For my taste, Lucifer this season is too much of an uber-villain, I'd like somebody a little more tangible like Alistair in S4. The Trickster could fill that role. I was also thinking about Chuck, but I can't really see how they could write an interesting enough story arc around him.

Would you like to see more AU episodes such as It's a terrible life, exploring the what-if issues of Sam and Dean not hunting?

sigpic

Comment

I'd say the Trickster. Especially after the recent developments he could make for a great story arc, oscillating between the different camps. And causing havoc along the way. For my taste, Lucifer this season is too much of an uber-villain, I'd like somebody a little more tangible like Alistair in S4. The Trickster could fill that role. I was also thinking about Chuck, but I can't really see how they could write an interesting enough story arc around him.

Would you like to see more AU episodes such as It's a terrible life, exploring the what-if issues of Sam and Dean not hunting?
                              I've said it a few times, I'm not an AU fan. I am pleasantly surprised at what a great job Supernatural does with them (one of my favourite episodes, WIAWSNB, is an AU!), but I don't want any more than they have done.

Got this from a video where a fan asked Eric, et al. why Sam doesn't get to drive: Do you think Dean should allow Sam to drive more?

Comment

With all the long distances they drive I always thought that Sam does drive the Impala, its just not shown on the show because the Impala is Deans baby, and Sam has to drive when Dean sleeps or recovers so there's not too much conversation then. I don't need to see Sam driving the Impala more often, it is OK the way it is.

I am currently rewatching S3, and there is quite a gap in the story because of the writers strike. Do you think, that there should be an episode (or an official book/ graphic novel/ comic) dealing with this "lost months" and what the Winchesters were doing to get Dean out of his contract?
                                The cake is a lie!

Comment

Working...
                                X