Winter Is Coming (101)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shan Bruce Lee View Post
    For a pilot episode that was pretty incredible. The only character I didn't like was Drogo's new brother-in-law. He was kind of annoying actually.
    Viserys Targaryen is meant to be that way. To put it bluntly, he's a sad, pathetic creep of a man and his nickname in the series, the Beggar King, suits him well.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
      Viserys Targaryen is meant to be that way. To put it bluntly, he's a sad, pathetic creep of a man and his nickname in the series, the Beggar King, suits him well.
      Yes, he needs to be annoying, creepy, as well as crazy. He wasn't enough crazy for me, hopefully he'll develop
      "Do you want to wake the dragon? Do you?"
      sigpic
      My short movie "Red Bag" / The Scifi Guys Podcast / My Twitter account

Comment

Originally posted by Andron View Post
        Yes, he needs to be annoying, creepy, as well as crazy. He wasn't enough crazy for me, hopefully he'll develop
        Really, I thought Harry Lloyd played him as being completely off his trolley and I actually found it quite funny. Up to the point he started getting creepy with his sister, but that hammered home the point that he's not exactly the nicest person.

Comment

Really, I thought Harry Lloyd played him as being completely off his trolley and I actually found it quite funny. Up to the point he started getting creepy with his sister, but that hammered home the point that he's not exactly the nicest person.
          Well, Viserys truely is his father's successor in all ways (that's as far as I will go without spoiling anything)
          sigpic
          My short movie "Red Bag" / The Scifi Guys Podcast / My Twitter account

Comment

I actually thought the episode was pretty tame in terms of violence, sex and other such things which are actually a lot more prevalent in the novels.

Well, Viserys truely is his father's successor in all ways (that's as far as I will go without spoiling anything)
            Yes he definitely is. I remembered him being a little more crazier in the book though. Maybe his craziness will pick up in future episodes
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Shan Bruce Lee View Post
              For a pilot episode that was pretty incredible. The only character I didn't like was Drogo's new brother-in-law. He was kind of annoying actually. Speaking of Drogo, Momoa was awesome.

I've never read the books so everything is new to me, so I really didn't expect that ending.
              Same here. I watched the Pilot with a completely empty slate, and I think it made the experience even more incredible. I may read the books after I've watched the series, I'm sure that as usual there will be a wealth of other stories and details that can't be shown here.

They sure managed to pack a lot of characters and background information in this one, but I think they wove it into the story quite well without making it feel too much like exposition. For example, the whole part of Robert having been in love with Ned's sister, and killing off almost all the Targaryans in revenge after she died was explained in a couple of sentences of dialogue. I was glad I got a chance for a re-watch with the rest of the family last night (with a projector on a big screen, no less), there was quite a bit I missed the first time round. Such as the symbolism behind the Direwolf (sp?) and the stag that are the symbols of Robert's and Ned's families killing each other. I'm pretty sure there was some foreshadowing in that one.

He certainly doesn't seem to think so. I got the impression the Magistrate (I think that's what they called him?) is manipulating Viserys. There's something sinister in the way he flatters him.I'm curious to find out what his agenda is.

He seemed plenty crazy to me. I also noticed that all the 'evil' families up to now seem to be blond...

sigpic
              Check out my SGA and Fringe fanfics on fanfiction.net

Comment

I loved it from beginning to end. Having watched it a couple times, I can agree that Drogo and Daenerys' first time came across as dubious consent. Hopefully they show that there's real affection between Dany and Drogo and that the unfortunate edit of that scene was just due to time and not having the same kind of narrative exposition that there was in the books.

As far as characterization otherwise, everyone felt like they were supposed to. Sean Bean is such a powerful actor.

Can we talk for a minute about how awesome the opening credits were? I'm really glad they didn't do something with a head-shot of each character or something, and that they didn't do the sterotypical "It's a fantasy show, we have to put a sword behind the title!" thing. I loved the gears - nice nod to the political machinations that make up the series. And the map put the world in perspective.

Overall, I'm really excited for this show, and I can't wait for the rest of it.

Comment

Originally posted by nayanroo View Post
                  I loved it from beginning to end. Having watched it a couple times, I can agree that Drogo and Daenerys' first time came across as dubious consent. Hopefully they show that there's real affection between Dany and Drogo and that the unfortunate edit of that scene was just due to time and not having the same kind of narrative exposition that there was in the books.
                  I haven't read the books, but I thought Daenery's 'dubious consent' was a given. I mean, she was married off for political reasons to a guy she's never met and who is about as scary as they come with the order to 'make him happy' if she ever wants to return to her country - not exactly the setup for a romantic wedding night.

sigpic

Comment

As far as characterization otherwise, everyone felt like they were supposed to. Sean Bean is such a powerful actor.

Can we talk for a minute about how awesome the opening credits were? I'm really glad they didn't do something with a head-shot of each character or something, and that they didn't do the sterotypical "It's a fantasy show, we have to put a sword behind the title!" thing. I loved the gears - nice nod to the political machinations that make up the series. And the map put the world in perspective.

Overall, I'm really excited for this show, and I can't wait for the rest of it.
                    The opening credits were very good.
                    || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

I thought this was an excellent episode. It captured the book about as well you can expect an adaptation can. Even the scenes they added were well done.

The Drogo and Dany scene could have been done better, which is about my only complaint about the show.

Comment

Originally posted by starg8fans View Post
                        I haven't read the books, but I thought Daenery's 'dubious consent' was a given. I mean, she was married off for political reasons to a guy she's never met and who is about as scary as they come with the order to 'make him happy' if she ever wants to return to her country - not exactly the setup for a romantic wedding night.
                        Yeah, I agree, but it did seem like the scene was pushed more toward looking like rape than it needed to be, it felt different in the books. I'm not knocking the writers/directors/whathaveyou too much though - what they did made sense.

Comment

Yeah, I agree, but it did seem like the scene was pushed more toward looking like rape than it needed to be, it felt different in the books. I'm not knocking the writers/directors/whathaveyou too much though - what they did made sense.
                          There must be something to this, though, because I've heard this complaint several times on different threads/forums. I guess I'll find out once I read the books, but I think I'll watch the whole season first. I find it so much more rewarding to have the story fleshed out by the books afterwords rather than seeing how much they had to cut for the adaptation.

sigpic

Comment

For one, Dany looks a lot older than she is in the books.

Plus, like someone already mentioned, her brother seemed to tame... When he asks her whether she wants to awaken the dragon, it lacked umpf...just a little tame. But nothing that I can't overlook...

Must find a screencap of Bran's dire wolf now... he was too cute.
                            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I thought this episode was interesting..... but I;m going to have to watch it a lil more to decide whether i like it or not.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                                For one, Dany looks a lot older than she is in the books.

Plus, like someone already mentioned, her brother seemed to tame... When he asks her whether she wants to awaken the dragon, it lacked umpf...just a little tame. But nothing that I can't overlook...

Must find a screencap of Bran's dire wolf now... he was too cute.
                                I'm glad I haven't read the books, so I can just enjoy what I see without making comparisons.

Ukko posted the link to a cap that includes the wolf pup in the screencap/artwork thread. Here it is: http://i574.photobucket.com/albums/s...g?t=1303173686
                                Last edited by starg8fans; 19 April 2011, 12:12 PM.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X