Revolution (NBC) : News/Speculation/General Discussion SPOILERS S2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
    They may want it to succeed and yet they do not give the creators the opportunity to actually succeed by offering a second season.

X- Files was given a second chance and it became a cult hit, because it got a second season, which is rarely if ever given, Jericho was probably the last and even then they only got 6 episode order for the second season, which hardly gave the creators a chance to turn the series around and I did not see any great advertising push by the channel either.
    If it doesn't succeed in the first chance to get viewers then its already been given a chance. Yes I know thier are a few shows that survive a rocky first season and get popular the next season but those are in the minority. Look at the bubble shows that barely get renewed and when season 2 comes along they fail miserably
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
      If it doesn't succeed in the first chance to get viewers then its already been given a chance. Yes I know thier are a few shows that survive a rocky first season and get popular the next season but those are in the minority. Look at the bubble shows that barely get renewed and when season 2 comes along they fail miserably
      Often because they are remove from their original time slot, sometime to face even further competition or even worst they are put on Friday or even Saturday night, where they are all but destine to get lower numbers.

An then the second is often rarely if ever advertise at all.

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
        I did not like the previews i saw of Smallville and did not watch it when it first came on, some time later I watched a episode and LOVED IT. Previews give you part of the plot and in some cases completely screw up what the show/movie is about. I think the only fair way to criticize the show is to watch every episode ever made and then talk about it. Wouldn't you feel bad if you watch the show later on and like it but poor ratings had it cancelled?
        Trailers are supposed to cherry pick the best bits of something in an effort to make something look exciting or interesting enough to convince you to watch. It's a bad sign when a trailer makes a show look lacklustre and poorly written as is the case here.

Comment

Often because they are remove from their original time slot, sometime to face even further competition or even worst they are put on Friday or even Saturday night, where they are all but destine to get lower numbers.

An then the second is often rarely if ever advertise at all.
          Thier is only a finite space of available on a TV schedule. Putting a struggling show in a time spot of a successful or new unproven show does not make business sense.
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
            Trailers are supposed to cherry pick the best bits of something in an effort to make something look exciting or interesting enough to convince you to watch. It's a bad sign when a trailer makes a show look lacklustre and poorly written as is the case here.
            Im sick of people saying something is poorly written, you saw a 4 minute trailer which gave you like 5% of the first episode, there is NO possible way for anyone to know a thing about the writing, I could choose 4 minutes of footage from stargate that would put people off the show and 4 minutes that would want to make people watch it, trailers PROVE NOTHING!

Comment

Im sick of people saying something is poorly written, you saw a 4 minute trailer which gave you like 5% of the first episode, there is NO possible way for anyone to know a thing about the writing, I could choose 4 minutes of footage from stargate that would put people off the show and 4 minutes that would want to make people watch it, trailers PROVE NOTHING!
              Not about the writing. But if they cant match the clothes to the state of the cities, which they have not done, then I think we can rightly worry about the rest of the story and how much effort they have put into it.

Also the cities look far more decayed than they would really be after 15 years, way to much plant growth. These are the basics who would expect them to get right.

Comment

I don't think you understand how trailers work. They are supposed to cherry pick the best bits to make the show look good, while providing a basic premise for the viewer to convince them to watch. If someone in the PR department has chosen the 4 worst minutes of the show to put in a trailer, that really dosn't sell me on the people workng on the show either, if they're going to be so lazy and bad at their jobs that they'll let such a weak trailer for their show be released. It is a bad sign when the bits they have cherry picked looked terrible and the basic premise seems riddled with flaws and plot holes.

In the show electricity seems to have stopped working, but they have firearms, so combustion still must work. Which means that they would be back to 19th century technology, with steam engines etc. Which means the whole post apocalyptic shtick, with the overgrown cities is rubbish. For most of the history of human civilisation people managed without electricity, and they managed to happily create civilisation. So if electricity stopped working you might see the U.S breakup and the states each becoming their own smaller 19th century style countries. To be honest that premise sounds rather more interesting than watching this.

The whole thing just looks so lacklustre, as I said, with no thought given to the mechanics of the premise. The cast look exceedingly well groomed for a a group of people in their situation, and look more like they stepped off modelling shoot, rather than coming from a society where hard manual labour would be an everyday reality. The whole show seems to be centred round the mystery of the power going out, which will turn out to be some half baked explanation like evil conspiracy with EMP, or aliens, or mystical smoke monsters, and seems to ignore the much more interesting side of looking at how American society would cope and stratify with the end of modern technology.

Good shows like Boardwalk Empire, Game of Thrones and the Walking Dead have trailers that make the shows look impressive. They make you excited and interested and want to find out more. Revolution's trailer does not do that to me.

Comment

Not about the writing. But if they cant match the clothes to the state of the cities, which they have not done, then I think we can rightly worry about the rest of the story and how much effort they have put into it.

Also the cities look far more decayed than they would really be after 15 years, way to much plant growth. These are the basics who would expect them to get right.
                  Because you see them wearing jeans and that one guy wearing an ACDC shirt? If the world ended and you came across a facotry/truck full of jeans you probably would grab a few extra pairs, you wouldn't walk out in whatever you just had on. Also jeans can last a long time if looked after and not washed too often, also they can be repair, new ones can be sewn together from old ones. That guys shirt could have been something he found hidden away one day.

If you had to make clothes from scratch (or at the very least old sheets) would you come up with a strange new design or just copy the simple idea that is a shirt? It has only been 15 years, clothes last on average 1-2 years (provided you don't wear the same thing everyday) and as I said clothes can be made/stored away.

Within two days, New York city's subways will flood without people around to constantly pump out the water. Its not too inconceivable that plants would take over quickly, especially considering the extra rainfall from a lack of pollution being pumped out. Have you seen "Life After People", buildings would burn out and plants would more easily take them over.

Comment

Yeah, it's like judging a album or book by its cover or title... So... A trailer doesnt have to say anything at all about the show, especially with shows...
                    sigpic

Comment

In the show electricity seems to have stopped working, but they have firearms, so combustion still must work. Which means that they would be back to 19th century technology, with steam engines etc. Which means the whole post apocalyptic shtick, with the overgrown cities is rubbish. For most of the history of human civilisation people managed without electricity, and they managed to happily create civilisation. So if electricity stopped working you might see the U.S breakup and the states each becoming their own smaller 19th century style countries. To be honest that premise sounds rather more interesting than watching this.

The whole thing just looks so lacklustre, as I said, with no thought given to the mechanics of the premise. The cast look exceedingly well groomed for a a group of people in their situation, and look more like they stepped off modelling shoot, rather than coming from a society where hard manual labour would be an everyday reality. The whole show seems to be centred round the mystery of the power going out, which will turn out to be some half baked explanation like evil conspiracy with EMP, or aliens, or mystical smoke monsters, and seems to ignore the much more interesting side of looking at how American society would cope and stratify with the end of modern technology.

Good shows like Boardwalk Empire, Game of Thrones and the Walking Dead have trailers that make the shows look impressive. They make you excited and interested and want to find out more. Revolution's trailer does not do that to me.
                      Have you gone 1 year without all the electric gadgets you use? Even after a day without my computer or iPod i feel strange. Also people are so reliant on machines to make things, the average person has no clue how to do anything. Someone living in a 15th floor apartment wont be able to grow food and will have to leave the city, there is no way to grow food in a concrete field.

I discussed the whole clothes thing in an earlier post. Game of Thrones was worse than the trailer. I noticed you went on about the whole centered around the blackout thing - thats obviously the whole main point of the show, if you want a show about people growing food in their backyards and selling fish on the street, then find a show about that or make it yourself.

Im sure that a wonderful show where technology magically stops working and is never explained will not piss off more people than a show that does.

Comment

Because you see them wearing jeans and that one guy wearing an ACDC shirt? If the world ended and you came across a facotry/truck full of jeans you probably would grab a few extra pairs, you wouldn't walk out in whatever you just had on. Also jeans can last a long time if looked after and not washed too often, also they can be repair, new ones can be sewn together from old ones. That guys shirt could have been something he found hidden away one day.

If you had to make clothes from scratch (or at the very least old sheets) would you come up with a strange new design or just copy the simple idea that is a shirt? It has only been 15 years, clothes last on average 1-2 years (provided you don't wear the same thing everyday) and as I said clothes can be made/stored away.

Within two days, New York city's subways will flood without people around to constantly pump out the water. Its not too inconceivable that plants would take over quickly, especially considering the extra rainfall from a lack of pollution being pumped out. Have you seen "Life After People", buildings would burn out and plants would more easily take them over.
                        If I remember rightly life after people showed building in that level of disrepair after fifty years, not 15 said in the trailer.

An pollution would cause more rainful, why, because cities and cars create creates urban heat sinks, which cause more water to evaporate into the atmosphere, which need to full somewhere. Also particles from out combustion engines make clouds and water molecules heavier and so they are more likely to full to the ground.

The clothes look pristine, perfectly fitted, that shirt looked perfectly white not even Arial keep clothes that white, they lived on farm, probably growing there own food from the land, dirty, sweaty manual labour. It be nearly impossible for them to have such clean, undamaged clothes, no matter how careful they are looked after. This made even worst by the fact that the characters were kids when this happen, they would not have been to collect clothes that fitted them perfectly before the event happen.

As rightly pointed out, these are pampered, 21st century, Iphone/ipad kids, the likely hood that they make clothes that looked that good after 15 years is low to zero, they would be a lot more basic.
                        Take Hashima Island as a prime example, even after 30 years of being left to nature it is not as overgrown as it in Revolution, even Chernobyl, where nature is driving has not be taken over by plants to the extent shown in the trailer and it has 25 years of non occupation by humans.

The clothes do not look like they have been repaired, which is part of the problem.

If they want to go down the route of giving themselves pristine clothes, then they need to explain how they got those clothes, where they come from. It perfectly possible that someone has set up a factory to make them in the past 15 years and some sort of trading system exists or that people in there community taught themselves, but they need to show us that or tell us that is what happening in this world,

That reconstruction and rebuilding the world is going on, base not electricity but on other forms of power, which is an interesting story to tell. Especially if they showed someone attempting to create a new computer age perhaps using Charles Baddage difference engine, now that would be cool to see. they have not, all they shown in the film that the world is falling apart.

Sp!der
                        Major
                        Re: Revolution ( NBC) : News/Speculation/General Discussion
                        Yeah, it's like judging a album or book by its cover or title... So... A trailer doesnt have to say anything at all about the show, especially with shows...
                        One of the points of the thread is to speculate and discussed, we are discussing what we see in the trailer and our opinions on the trailer, it's the only material we got to go on for now, but this is a JJ Albrams show, so it unlikely to stay that way for long.

If combustion still work, then I would expect to see at least attempts to build combustion engines that do not need electricity to run. Like they did in the early days. An I believe even the US there still a few steam powered boats and trains running.
                        Last edited by knowles2; 20 May 2012, 06:55 AM.

Comment

Have you gone 1 year without all the electric gadgets you use? Even after a day without my computer or iPod i feel strange. Also people are so reliant on machines to make things, the average person has no clue how to do anything. Someone living in a 15th floor apartment wont be able to grow food and will have to leave the city, there is no way to grow food in a concrete field.
                          I might not have gone a year without electronic items, but I have gone a significant amount of time in the military without electronic items, and have managed just fine. Also surprising as it may be to you, but your food comes from the countryside, where quite a few people live. Now you city folk might be baffled be baffled by a life without your ipod, but as someone who lives on the family farm currently, if the power went out, I would have no problem knowing where my next meal came from, because I can look out my window and see the fields of crops and the pens full of sheep, pigs and chickens.

As unpleasant and problematic as it would be, my family, hell the whole local village, could survive without power. Wouldn't be nice and it would be a harder life, but people here do have the skills. If you looked farther than 6 feet in front of your own face, you'd realise not everybody lives up an apartment block, hooked to their iphone or ipod permanently permanently. Where you live, people might not know how to hunt, or how to slaughter an animal, or how to skin and gut it, but where I live those are common skills. It may be in a situation where the electronics went out that many people in the city would have no idea how to survive, but the fact remains there are still significant groups of people who live in the country who do have the skills to survive and even thrive.

Much like the makers of this show, you appear to have only looked out the window when it comes to considering how people would survive the situation, rather than considering the wider diaspora.

I discussed the whole clothes thing in an earlier post.
                          Who said anything about clothes? I was talking about how clean and well fed they look. You work hard, you get dirty, sweaty, your hair gets mussed up. These people look like they've never done a days manual labour in their life.
                          Game of Thrones was worse than the trailer.
                          Any examples? Game of Thrones is a master piece in effective marketing. It has plenty of good exciting trailers. I makes you want to watch the show. I didn't include any trailers before because I didn't want to go off topic, but since you mentioned it I will do now.

That's how you do a trailer. It takes the best part, effectively introducing the main characters and premise while making the show look as epic and exciting as possible.

I noticed you went on about the whole centered around the blackout thing - thats obviously the whole main point of the show, if you want a show about people growing food in their backyards and selling fish on the street, then find a show about that or make it yourself.
                          Who said anything about a show about selling fish? I talked about how it would be interesting to explore how people would remake civilisation in such an event. Which states might turn into nations, How would they be governed , how would they differ, for instance the more liberal costal states with the more conservative internal states, what might they fight over.

That's interesting, that's good science fiction, not some such for whatever half baked deus ex machina the writers come up with.

Comment

I might not have gone a year without electronic items, but I have gone a significant amount of time in the military without electronic items, and have managed just fine. Also surprising as it may be to you, but your food comes from the countryside, where quite a few people live. Now you city folk might be baffled be baffled by a life without your ipod, but as someone who lives on the family farm currently, if the power went out, I would have no problem knowing where my next meal came from, because I can look out my window and see the fields of crops and the pens full of sheep, pigs and chickens.

As unpleasant and problematic as it would be, my family, hell the whole local village, could survive without power. Wouldn't be nice and it would be a harder life, but people here do have the skills. If you looked farther than 6 feet in front of your own face, you'd realise not everybody lives up an apartment block, hooked to their iphone or ipod permanently permanently. Where you live, people might not know how to hunt, or how to slaughter an animal, or how to skin and gut it, but where I live those are common skills. It may be in a situation where the electronics went out that many people in the city would have no idea how to survive, but the fact remains there are still significant groups of people who live in the country who do have the skills to survive and even thrive.

Much like the makers of this show, you appear to have only looked out the window when it comes to considering how people would survive the situation, rather than considering the wider diaspora.

Who said anything about clothes? I was talking about how clean and well fed they look. You work hard, you get dirty, sweaty, your hair gets mussed up. These people look like they've never done a days manual labour in their life.

Any examples? Game of Thrones is a master piece in effective marketing. It has plenty of good exciting trailers. I makes you want to watch the show. I didn't include any trailers before because I didn't want to go off topic, but since you mentioned it I will do now.

That's how you do a trailer. It takes the best part, effectively introducing the main characters and premise while making the show look as epic and exciting as possible.

Who said anything about a show about selling fish? I talked about how it would be interesting to explore how people would remake civilisation in such an event. Which states might turn into nations, How would they be governed , how would they differ, for instance the more liberal costal states with the more conservative internal states, what might they fight over.

That's interesting, that's good science fiction, not some such for whatever half baked deus ex machina the writers come up with.
                            Completely agree with that.

Comment

Just a note on the filthy torn clothes verses clean ones. The Amish seem to do just fine. Hard work or no. If you take care of your clothes, they'll last.
                              sigpic

Comment

Watched the trailer a while ago and I am not looking forward to this at all. For one, it's premise is questionable at best; I'm trying to wrap my head around the whole thing, like the whole thing with the electricity going out (how can a plane spin exactly), the ability to generate electricity (surely there must be something that prevents an electric charge from being generated because if they didn't, windmills would be generating electricity right now) and society 15 years later. (I agree with everything knowles2 said, this seems less reasonable and more follow the tropes with stuff like vegetation and wear being the norm in sci-fi shows.)

The main focus of this show from watching the trailer is obviously going to be about the mythology and the characters (because what else will hook viewers after watching The Voice?) and both of those factors seem underdeveloped based on the trailer. The characters don't have that sort of appeal that Fringe has and they seem almost one dimensional in nature, (possibly a fault of the director of Iron Man helming this project.) though there may be something in the series, I doubt that there will be anything of that nature since the characters shown don't have anything that'd make me care about them. I don't know what type of mythology doesn't revolve around secret logos and groups communicating each other (which they do in this show.), the ultimate questions may revolve around what's the purpose behind the blackout, how do they generate electrical charges and what purpose do these three have but even then, there's nothing deep to the mythology at hand that'd keep anybody interested.

Plus there's stuff like the over-the-top action, forced thematics and plot holes abound. (How do governments fall due to the lack of electricity, how does anything rise up? I know we take technology for granted but it's not something that society would entirely change for.) It seems like the director of Iron Man is trying to focus on the concept, the action and the mythology rather then the society, the characters or even the inner workings of the show itself; that alone will be the shows undoing because action, concept and mythology a show does not make.

I know people out there will be anticipating it because it has J.J. Abrams name and because it will hopefully resurrect sci-fi but honestly, there are better ways to resurrect sci-fi (like coming up with good ideas.) and just because it has J.J. Abrams does not mean it'll be automatically good. Many people are also hoping this show will resurrect NBC but it won't, instead it will contribute to the grave which Comcast keeps digging for it; series like this are going to be the reason why NBC is still in bad times, alongside the comedies it tries to force along (most of which just seems like an attempt to replicate the NBC of the 90's by seeing what sticks out of all of the comedies), the stuff Comcast think will work and the lack of support that will come from veteran shows ("30 Rock", "Parks and Recreation", "The Biggest Loser", "The Office", "Law & Order SVU", "Babar") that will leave the network in this or the next year.
                                Back from the grave.

Comment

Working...
                                X