The Siege, Part 1 (119)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by queenselqet31
    Maybe it's his first name or something. I tried looking it up, but so far haven't found anything on it... but I did find out that Zelenka means "little green one". Hmm.
    I'm pretty sure he called him Radek, like Radek Bonk, the Czech born center of the Ottawa Senators. (I can apply my hockey fandom to Stargate? SWEET! )

Overall: A Freakin' Awesome Episode!!! It was so good I had to watch it twice in a row. My random likes:

The pacing is note-perfect, quickly establishing the episode's tension and then just tightening the screws on you.

"That's life long pain."

Teyla finally hit Bates. He did have it coming. I kinda hope they get a chance to finish it; Telya would win, I think, but Bates would give pretty good. Might help them find a mutual respect.

Zero-G: Excelently done. I hope they put out a documentary or something about how they did it.

The Ancient Weapon Platform carved that hive ship like a Thanksgiving Turkey. Then the other two ships recovered, and punched it full of holes. The Wraith obviously have a whole lot of fire power at their disposal.

Bob's interrogation. No mercy for the merciless.

The Weapon platform set. Very functional looking, and very cool. This must be where all the money saved by reusing the "generic stone arcitecture set" went.

"We are at war, Elizabeth. In war, there are casualties."

And there's the fact that all this was just a set up for the true finale. That should be incredible.

I'd like to address the issue about Wraith hyperdrives, if I may. It's not unreasonable to think that their hyperdrives have limited range and/or speed, compared to the Asgard, or even the Goa'uld. Look where they are. The Pegasus Dwarf Irregular Galaxy is only 4,000 lightyears wide, tiny by galactic standards (the Milky Way is 100,000 lightyears across). They've never had a need to go further. They drove the Atlanteans under the water, where they appeared to stay for thousands of years. The Wraith obviously had no idea that there was food to be had in other galaxies, especially not one three million lightyears away. There was never a need to improve upon technology that did exactly what they required.

I'm thinking that future seasons will not only be about protecting Atlantis from the Wraith, but also about keeping one step ahead of them, foiling any other plans they develop to invade the Milky Way.

a time to mourn

Comment

Originally posted by Blend
      Great episode, althought the satelites easy dispatch of the ship was.. a bit much. 1/3 of their forces gone in a moment.

I was suprised by the wraiths awesome weapons. Whoever said that it took 2 ships to destroyt the sattelite and not even in 1 hit was really not giving credit where its due. Itd have only taken 1 ship to destroy the satellite. They sprayed that blue plasma (?) rapid fire into the sattelite and blew it to hell in moments.
      The basis for the comment about the relative power of the wraith weapons is basically this: The satellite had no shields - it was basically a big metal shell with a power source. If I make a round hollow metal ball 50 ft across and give you a patriot missle to shoot at it, it would explode.

The fact that the wraith required a large number of shots (I would guess 10-15) to cause a defenseless metal shell to explode (into itty bitty pieces) says something about the actual power their weapons exert.

Comment

they killed Peter...

*cries*

Comment

Originally posted by Hatcheter
          I'd like to address the issue about Wraith hyperdrives, if I may. It's not unreasonable to think that their hyperdrives have limited range and/or speed, compared to the Asgard, or even the Goa'uld. Look where they are. The Pegasus Dwarf Irregular Galaxy is only 4,000 lightyears wide, tiny by galactic standards (the Milky Way is 100,000 lightyears across). They've never had a need to go further. They drove the Atlanteans under the water, where they appeared to stay for thousands of years. The Wraith obviously had no idea that there was food to be had in other galaxies, especially not one three million lightyears away. There was never a need to improve upon technology that did exactly what they required.

I'm thinking that future seasons will not only be about protecting Atlantis from the Wraith, but also about keeping one step ahead of them, foiling any other plans they develop to invade the Milky Way.
          With the hyperdrive thing - the problem I have with it is that the ancients were actively fighting the wraith right up until the day they left atlantis. If you were fighting a war and had your enemy boxed in, then suddenly they stop fighting and just disappear - wouldnt you look to see where they went?

People dont fight a war for 100+ years then all of a sudden disappear.... Its just that the logic doesnt add up.

Similarly the fact that they (Wraith) didnt make any attempt to goto another galaxy to look for another food source also is a logic flaw... Even with earth technology we know there are other galaxies, knowing humans existed on hundreds of planets in pegasus even the most limited intellegence says that there must be other places with viable food sources. The wraith didnt even attempt to find them....

I agree about the future seasons - its clear that at some point the wraith will figure out where Earth is and how to get there.

Comment

[QUOTE=TOA]People dont fight a war for 100+ years then all of a sudden disappear.... Its just that the logic doesnt add up.

Similarly the fact that they (Wraith) didnt make any attempt to goto another galaxy to look for another food source also is a logic flaw... Even with earth technology we know there are other galaxies, knowing humans existed on hundreds of planets in pegasus even the most limited intellegence says that there must be other places with viable food sources. The wraith didnt even attempt to find them....
            QUOTE]

I think from the point of view of the Wraith in the battle against the Ancients, the Wraith saw Atlantis sunk under the ocean and probably just assumed all the Ancients just drowned with the city.

The plan was probably to have the Wraith invade the Milky Way when the SG-1 show ends. Then the Atlantis team will probably control both Pegasus and have a good amount of activity back on Earth to defend against the Wraiths. Now that SG-1 is continuing (which I am of course grateful for), this may delay the Wraiths' date with Earth. I guess it also depends on who the new enemy will be for SG-1 next season.
            I just love shows about wormholes!

Comment

Originally posted by astronomicalchick
              they killed Peter...

*cries*
              I was sad to see him go. I expected him to take out another hive ship by sacraficing himself but I guess he never got the chance. He is the most prominent UK character on stargate, right? I wonder how the UK fans feel about this.

I was definitely relieved that Dr. Zelenka didn't go on that mission.

Comment

I guess I can't keep all my thoughts in one post but had to spread it out (at least I am building on the number of posts). Here are some scattered thoughts.

I am left with an empty feeling after this episode and I will probably not watch it again until next week.

I was surprised by how Teyla went after Bates, perhaps the effect of being possessed by a Wraith hasn't wear off yet? I know they want to shield the presence of a Wraith at that point of the show but I hope that this is not just a out of character moment without futre explanation.

Did Sheppard called the Wraith "Brian" once mixed in with "Bob" twice? Sheppard let his emotion to get a hold of him...again.

Just one more episode for season 1, I wonder who will survive until season 2.

Finally, a thought that concerns more about the episode Sanctuary than this episode. Can the Atlantis team just let the Wraith chase them to the planet in Sancturay and them Athar in the effort to protect the people on that planet will have to destroy the Wraiths. This would be way to convenient and something tells me Athar may be a forgotten character.

Comment

Originally posted by astronomicalchick
                  they killed Peter...

*cries*
                  *grabbing Stoning Kit*

Come on. . .let's go find the writers!!!

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Originally posted by Quinn Mallory
                    I was sad to see him go. I expected him to take out another hive ship by sacraficing himself but I guess he never got the chance. He is the most prominent UK character on stargate, right? I wonder how the UK fans feel about this.

I was definitely relieved that Dr. Zelenka didn't go on that mission.
                    Beckett is a UK character, as well as Scottish (Scots are both Scottish and from the UK), he was English and from the UK. I liked him...

But not as much as Zelenka... phew!

Comment

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure
                      *grabbing Stoning Kit*

Come on. . .let's go find the writers!!!
                      I'll bring the penguins...

Grodin... *cries again*

Comment

Originally posted by Calicto
                        However, as we saw in Brotherhood, one carefully planted shot by a Wraith Dart could easily destroy a puddle jumper
                        That Dart was modified, they said that very explicitly.

Originally posted by Calicto
                        Now, Atlantis probably had 20 MAX Puddle Jumpers when it was fully operational. There doesnt seem like enough space nor function to have more.
                        We've seen a fraction of Atlantis. You simply can't make that kind of assumption. Despite the obvious fact that they would be kept near the Gate, the mere fact that we saw one cruising around Antarctica means they used them for other things as well.

Outside of those two problems, it was a really good post

You seem to enjoy crunching numbers, so here are some images for your counting pleasure (I assume the big dots are Hives, while the little ones are Darts):

Originally posted by V-MAN
                        What I don't understand is, the system atlantis is in. is kinda big as are most star systems. In this episode they say that the ancient satalite is the last of a network that would have protected the whole star system.

Anyone care to take a guess on the odds that the Wraith fleet would enter the star system right next to that one remaining Ancient satalite let alone within range of it's particle beam?
                        Zelenka said it's the last of several dozen. Dictionary.com's primary definition of several is "Being of a number more than two or three but not many". I'm thinking at least four, at the very most ten dozen satellites once defended the area. The mere fact that only one remains indicates that they were all put to good use.

I rewatched the part with Zelenka's quote, I didn't hear anything about defending the entire star system. If you could give me an approximate time, I'd appreciate it

Now, onto My Opinion of the Episode

Overall: Great.

Character development: Zelenka's development and screen-time is clearly being put in place to offset the death of you-know-who. I like this, since I'm a Zelenka fan and I didn't much like you-know-who. We also saw the excellent scenes with Teyla and Bates, and learned about how Teyla and her people get offended by accusations of working for the Wraith. Excellent, largely overlooked scene with Halling speaking to Weir about destroying Atlantis. Really said alot about the differences between Athosians and Earthlings' respective points of view. Shep had a good, although rather short scene with Bob. Ford was a little annoying with this one, following Shep around the whole time.

Action: Nice seeing the Hive ship destroyed, that was pretty much it. I wouldn't have minded seeing the T-Rex, but oh well

Definetly can't wait for next week.

Comment

One of my favorite moments for me is when Sheppard walks into the brig area and looks at the Wraith prisoner. At that moment, I said "Hello, Bob." Then a moment later, Sheppard names him Bob. Hehehe. That was fun.

-IMF
                          "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
                          "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
                          BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

Hm, overall fantastic episode - can't wait for Part 2
                            I liked who they gave Teyla a purpose - though I don't especially like the purpose, seems very Vulcan to me - never mind...

Originally posted by V-MAN
                            Maybe there's a reasonable explanation such as the satalite was located in one of the few if only safe places to exit hyperspace in a star system due to navigational hazards such as planetary bodies etc. Even then that's assuming a lot but it makes sense to me.
                            I think this is probably the best explanation already - and as the ancients would be the very first to know where you best leave hyperspace, it comes as no surprise that they put their satellite (at least one) right there

Now Grodin...I feel rather sorry that he died (did he, anyway? ) but still better than Bates (hope he doesn't die in part 2 )...
                            Still, they should have killed off the other pilot - he got a lot to say so I assumed he would have been an easy-kill
                            By the way, I really wonder where they found that pilot anyway ^^
                            I can't imagine him aboard Stackhouse's ship - he seems to be a much better pilot than Beckett - so it would probably have been him flying instead of Beckett....

And then about shipping...
                            I saw Teyla/Sheppard getting stronger again after "Letters from Pegasus" - I just wanna see that one
                            Zelenka seemed to be able to speak to Weir without too much trouble though

Comment

Hey, who wants to get some Teyla/Bates shipping going.

"You're a security threat!"
                              "You're insulting my people!"

They stare, then kiss passionately. Music swells.

-IMF
                              "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
                              "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
                              BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

Most likely with Grodin we will find that the wraith captured him, and who knows maybe thats a reason they stopped advancement. He is going to know everything about the defenses that atlantis has and they will need time to get the info out of him. But of course this is speculation. So in the spirit of speculation, lets say that orbital defense platform, since designed to have people in it, had a transporter built into to it and would either beam people to the surface of the planet or back to atlantis in the event that its destruction was emiment. I doubt he is dead, but I am banking on the wraith having him, and Teyla finding out about it. That way they with the help of earth, defend themselves from the wraith and rescue Grodin.

Comment

Working...
                                X