No announcement yet.

The Covid19 thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know if you get this in the US but try Savacol SG, that's not just mouthwash, it's antibacterial as well.
    Good stuff, Had to use it when I bit my tongue and just kept up the habit.
    sigpic
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
      Article is conjecture, not known fact. We don't *know* enough about this, particularly when you consider this likely came from a bioweapons lab.
      I'm disappointed to see no action taken on such silly and dangerous falsehoods but whatever.

-----

Friend lost her aunt yesterday. She's also quarantining because both her family and her husband have caught it and she is just waiting on a test result. She can't even be comforted by people right now.

A month ago my classroom aide lost her dad. A few weeks before that a friend of mine lost their (healthy) grandpa. And sometime over the summer my students lost their grandma...

This virus sucks. And the people who aren't taking it seriously suck more.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gen. Chris View Post
        I'm disappointed to see no action taken on such silly and dangerous falsehoods but whatever.

-----

Friend lost her aunt yesterday. She's also quarantining because both her family and her husband have caught it and she is just waiting on a test result. She can't even be comforted by people right now.

A month ago my classroom aide lost her dad. A few weeks before that a friend of mine lost their (healthy) grandpa. And sometime over the summer my students lost their grandma...

This virus sucks. And the people who aren't taking it seriously suck more.
        Sorry to hear about the deaths of people close to you.

What falsehoods? We don't know all that much about this yet. We certainly don't know the duration of immunity catching this gives you, nor can we say for certain how it spread. That's the point of what I was saying; we don't know enough about it. As far as it's origin, it's pretty well accepted that it came from Wuhan, and there is a bioweapons lab located there. So it is certainly possible that that was the source. Myself, I think it quite likely, but we don't *know*, so using the term "falsehood" isn't quite accurate.

Comment

Same, 20%. But the point is that you don't know what you are. So the full range of 40% applies.
          again lets keep it simple & leave out that last part ftm

do you agree that:
          1 anyone is either positive or negative
          2 no one can be both positive & negative

if your answer to both is yes then:

3 if any person takes the test what are the odds of an error for that person?

Article is conjecture, not known fact. We don't *know* enough about this, particularly when you consider this likely came from a bioweapons lab.
          what about the first SARS (15y ago) do you think it's natural or man made?

Comment

Originally posted by SoulReaver View Post
            again lets keep it simple & leave out that last part ftm

do you agree that:
            1 anyone is either positive or negative
            2 no one can be both positive & negative

if your answer to both is yes then:

3 if any person takes the test what are the odds of an error for that person?

what about the first SARS (15y ago) do you think it's natural or man made?
            How can you discuss any test accurately if you "leave that part out" at the outset? IRL, you don't get to leave the parts you want out.

As far as SARS goes, dunno, haven't looked into it.

Comment

How can you discuss any test accurately if you "leave that part out" at the outset? IRL, you don't get to leave the parts you want out.
              in the meantime you didn't answer the question

As far as SARS goes, dunno, haven't looked into it.
              why not? SARS-Cov1 & SARS-Cov2 are almost 90% genetically similar originate from same country have same incubation time & same symptoms

Comment

Funerals in corona-times are... remarkably my thing... obviously I'd rather we didn't have to have another one.

Anywho... buried grandpa last saturday and it was just the family which means there were exactly 15 people attending -- the maximum amount of the people allowed. It was short, honorable, respectful and yes, even had a hilarious moment when we were queueing to greet grandpa's urn. Right at the moment my dad was standing in front of the urn, he got a phone call (forgot to turn off his cellphone), and me and my sister right behind him (and luckily last in line) had to chuckle and simultaneously said, "Grandpa's calling!".

It was also quite nice to see the family again -- we haven't actually seen most of them since February 2020. Not even online over video calls. Of course, circumstances could have been different to make it a "happy" reunion but everybody was clearly relieved at seeing each other.

My aunt and uncle who were sick with Covid were doing better but they still feel the fall-out. They both tire easily. My uncle had a fever for several days. They suffered coughing, shortness of breath, muscle aches and fever.

While we were at the church yard, visited mom's grave and my other grandpa, and did a bit of cleaning of the tombstones. Leaves everywhere of course.

I mean asking people to "step up" while also making them do so, is contradictory
                it's either convince or compel
                Reverse psychology perhaps.

incidentally what do the majority of people think? (not that it matters)
                The majority agrees that celebrating the festivities in december will have to be with just the housemates and that one cuddle-contact we're allowed to have.

People have more than adequately demonstrated that they will not voluntarily comply with social distancing, avoiding crowds and so forth. This is proven by the resurgence and who is being infected.
                Infection rates shifted from twenty-somethings to the working population, back to the elderly.
                At least, it did so over here (Belgium).

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                young brains full of mush, old brains full of dust.
                Mine's filled with saw dust -- natural filling.

Originally posted by SGalisa View Post
                I had the antibodies test. Negative results. I was sick in December (2019) and January (2020) for 6 weeks with a "mysterious" cold virus.
                Nothing mysterious -- you had one of the corona-family members visiting. Might not have been Covid-19, but cold viruses are corona viruses.

My dear FH, I do wear the blasted mask. I work with (proof-read) OSHA regulations for compliance training ... No need to hammer the rules and regs down on my head, when I send those same regulations out to the general public. And I think COVID-19 has opened a new training course in medical/any work-place compliance, but I'm not involved with it yet.
                My apologies -- let's hammer the general public together then.

However, there are times when I think some people are being a bit TOO extreme in their paranoia of this virus, when you are about 99% certain your coworker does not have a cold or COVID-like virus.
                The general response to sneezing or coughing at work these days is the following: "Hey, no spreading the covid. Keep it with you!"

But that was when going into the office was still allowed.

...as well as gargling with (Listerine-strength) mouthwash for extra preventative measures...
                It'll still have made it into your bloodstream though -- the virus, I mean, not the mouthwash.
                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                  The majority agrees that celebrating the festivities in december will have to be with just the housemates and that one cuddle-contact we're allowed to have.
                  I meant the masks mandates
                  I reckon the majority of people agree with social distancing measures (especially gamers)

Comment

Funerals in corona-times are... remarkably my thing... obviously I'd rather we didn't have to have another one.

Anywho... buried grandpa last saturday and it was just the family which means there were exactly 15 people attending -- the maximum amount of the people allowed. It was short, honorable, respectful and yes, even had a hilarious moment when we were queueing to greet grandpa's urn. Right at the moment my dad was standing in front of the urn, he got a phone call (forgot to turn off his cellphone), and me and my sister right behind him (and luckily last in line) had to chuckle and simultaneously said, "Grandpa's calling!".
                    Sorry to hear about your grandfather's passing.

Infection rates shifted from twenty-somethings to the working population, back to the elderly.
                    At least, it did so over here (Belgium).
                    Makes perfect sense. Young skulls full of mush have to socialize regardless of CV, so they do, but many of them are asymptomatic, so they go to work and spread it there. They & their now infected co-workers also spread it to their elders whom they live with. And the elders face the higher risk of death/etc.

Potentially effective vaccines aside, (there are no guarantees the 3 vaccines companies are touting will actually be effective or the public will be willing to take them) isolation is the only weapon we have. Which is why it's essential that ALL age groups practice isolation, by force if needed.

Comment

there are no guarantees the 3 vaccines companies are touting will actually be effective or the public will be willing to take them
                      even the private corporations that make this patented **** only advertise a 95% effectiveness. why not 100%?

I mean natural immunity's 100% (as long as the virus doesn't evolve but I assume they tested the vaccine against a specific strain) and vaccines are supposed to emulate this right?

Comment

even the private corporations that make this patented **** only advertise a 95% effectiveness. why not 100%?

I mean natural immunity's 100% (as long as the virus doesn't evolve but I assume they tested the vaccine against a specific strain) and vaccines are supposed to emulate this right?
                        Very few things are 100%. 90% range is pretty damned good, assuming they actually do meet that mark, which I doubt. People and companies always play games with numbers.

Comment

https://www.immune.org.nz/vaccines/e...-effectiveness

No vaccine is 100% effective, a small percentage of people are not protected after vaccination and for others the protection may wane over time. Also, some people are unable to be vaccinated due to certain conditions such as immune suppression. Maintaining immunity in those around these people protects them from disease.
                          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

yet the measles & smallpox vaccines are 100% effective

Comment

Sorry to hear about your grandfather's passing.

Makes perfect sense. Young skulls full of mush have to socialize regardless of CV, so they do, but many of them are asymptomatic, so they go to work and spread it there. They & their now infected co-workers also spread it to their elders whom they live with. And the elders face the higher risk of death/etc.

Potentially effective vaccines aside, (there are no guarantees the 3 vaccines companies are touting will actually be effective or the public will be willing to take them) isolation is the only weapon we have. Which is why it's essential that ALL age groups practice isolation, by force if needed.
                              sounds to me as if you wouldn't mind if we revived those old leper colonies

Comment

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
                                sounds to me as if you wouldn't mind if we revived those old leper colonies
                                my thoughts too unfortunately he's got a point in an epidemic social distancing's the only way to safely & effectively fight it

sure there's others like vaccines & **** but social distancing's the only one without side effects

Comment

Working...
                                X