This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RodneyIsGodney View Post
    In case ya missed it, Teyla told Sheppard that a member of the Daedalus' crew(I forget his name) taught her how to use them. I had the same nitpick until I saw that scene.
    Nope. Didn't miss that part. It would still require some extensive training to learn to operate even the most basic of systems, imo. I somehow doubt one or two days worth of training by Marks would allow for that. Or that was the impression I got from her comment and then her comment about Ronon not paying attention.

But like I said that was only a minor nitpick which I can most definitely live with.
    IMO always implied.

Comment

I can't believe it that I am saying this (I am an Anti of season 4 and 5) but this was the best episode of the entire show. I hope TPTB keep it up. The first three episodes this season were horrible. This episode however was pure gold.

Comment

I think the basic story was great but the execution was poor. I wasn't surprised by anything in the episode and there wasn't anything to hold me in suspense.

Originally posted by Ruffles View Post
        *Rodney underestimating Teyla and actually realizing it.
        This was the best part of the episode for me.

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
        It's off topic here, and it's rude to those that don't want to be exposed to spoilers, yet want to discuss Daedy Variations
        Unfortunately, SciFi gave enough spoilers to ruin the surprise. Someone should tell them that it's supposed to be a "teaser" not a "Sum up the first half of the ep in 30 seconds".

Originally posted by LoneStar1836 View Post
        I somehow doubt one or two days worth of training by Marks would allow for that.
        Has it ever been said how long Daedalus is in port before returning to Earth? It could have been two days or it could have been two weeks.

And what did she do really? Play back some logs, read a sensor display, tell the computer to run a diagnostic on some systems? I don't think that'd be hard to do.

The other things, like shutting down power to unoccupied decks she was walked through by Rodney.

Comment

Originally posted by miniglik View Post
          Also, I found it weird that the other Sheppard team just hung around on the Daedalus to die, instead of heading down to the planet in a jumper as they were getting weaker. You'd think at some point they'd just go off and live together on the planet instead of waiting to die. I guess we could fanwank that they didn't get a habitable planet below any of their last few jumps. But still.
          I figured something killed them before they had the chance to try to get off the ship.

I mean why would all four of them die in the same exact place? Or at the same time?

Originally posted by Jeffala View Post
          Has it ever been said how long Daedalus is in port before returning to Earth? It could have been two days or it could have been two weeks.

And what did she do really? Play back some logs, read a sensor display, tell the computer to run a diagnostic on some systems? I don't think that'd be hard to do.

The other things, like shutting down power to unoccupied decks she was walked through by Rodney.
          Just why would Marks spend two weeks training Teyla how to run the Daedalus's systems? I'm sure he has other duties as well as there really being no official reason for her to need to learn them in an official capacity.

The impression I got was she and Ronon were up on the ship for a day or two for some reason, and Marks offered to show her how a few of the basic systems worked. Maybe he was flirting with her. Can I now go and start a thread for Teyla/Marks ship?

But anyway that's just my impression and since it was an off hand comment to explain within the show how Teyla half way knew her way around (since they were only working with 4 characters in this ep) for the necessity of the episode, we can speculate till the cows come home...and even then we still won't know for sure.
          IMO always implied.

Comment

Originally posted by Linda06 View Post

But i just wish we would not shout so loud when he's talking...
            That would be the volume on your television. Turn it down, perhaps?
            They say the geek never gets the girl...what about the girl getting the geek?

Rodney/Teyla...it could happen

spoilers for "200"
            Spoiler:
            Gen. Hammond: It has to spin, it's round! Spinning is so much cooler than not spinning. I'm the general, and I want it to spin!

Vala: Are you saying that General O'Neill is...

Cam: My daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by starfox View Post
              That would be the volume on your television. Turn it down, perhaps?
              Naw....Everyone else seems to be able to talk at a normal volume but McKay always seems to want to shout for some reason
              sigpic

Comment

Well, I have to admit that...I liked it Suprise, I know but hell, I really did!

This topic - alternate reality - was used many times in many TV shows so it´s difficult to be original. But this was kind of original, being on the ship, without no way of getting out and just fight with what comes.
                I was worried that the race will be Borg-like - and now I have to say that it would be really a nice change to have a race, that doesn´t have a basic in humans or ancients. There is no race like that. It would remind ST a little but I think SG can get there now. At least a little.

What I liked - I think most of it. I especially liked how Rodney FINALLY yelled at Sheppard, saying "I can´t do ten things at once" and he said it aloud, vigorously and was pretty confident saying that. Yay! Finally. Sheppard probably thinks that McKay has one or more clones, who can do all the work.

Lorne in command, saving the team this time and working with Zelenka. Nice, more of that please

Teyla controling Daedalus - Ooookaaay - well, I think it was nice to give her something to do but it was forced again. She knew more than Rodney in one point - come on. I am not sure, if they will ever get back to S1 where she was useful and it wasn´t forced. This was like "we need something for Teyla so she wouldn´t be a wallpaper again. So let´s give her a computer course, and she can work in an engine room". But the scene with Rodney was nice - and the final scene of the episode, too. They should be together more.

The end was cute - Rodney holding a baby. It was weird cos I know that David has his own son so this insecurity was hard to believe.

All in all, I liked it most in S5 so far. Previous three episodes - I can´t even remember what they were about. But this one has a topic I will remember and it was also a nice, team episode (did you notice how Teyla covered Rodney when he was shot? ), so after disappointing S4 - it´s enough for me so far

Now, I can´t really wait to see The Shrine, but it´s still too far away

"No dictator, no invader, can hold an imprisoned population by the force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power governments, and tyrants, and armies can not stand." - G´Kar, Babylon 5

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStar1836 View Post
                  Just why would Marks spend two weeks training Teyla how to run the Daedalus's systems? I'm sure he has other duties as well as there really being no official reason for her to need to learn them in an official capacity.

The impression I got was she and Ronon were up on the ship for a day or two for some reason, and Marks offered to show her how a few of the basic systems worked. Maybe he was flirting with her. Can I now go and start a thread for Teyla/Marks ship?
                  In my head, it was a series of lessons over the length of a longer trip. Teyla doesn't seem to be the type to let something go half-finished. I think if Marks offered to give her a lesson early enough on in the trip and had the time to continue doing so, she'd take the opportunity. Sort of a crash course in "Okay, when things go to hell in a handbasket, these are your ways out." IIRC, she turned things on, turned things off, and ran diagnostics. Those could probably be covered on a surface level fairly quickly, IMO. All the re-wiring and re-routing of power was left to McKay who did know the systems much better than she could have.

Plus, duties aside, 3 weeks on the Daedalus per trip has got to get boring. Marks was probably happy for the opportunity to do something with someone he doesn't see every day.
                  Last edited by starfox; 02 August 2008, 12:33 PM.

spoilers for "200"
                  Spoiler:
                  Gen. Hammond: It has to spin, it's round! Spinning is so much cooler than not spinning. I'm the general, and I want it to spin!

Comment

Originally posted by Klenotka View Post

Teyla controling Daedalus - Ooookaaay - well, I think it was nice to give her something to do but it was forced again. She knew more than Rodney in one point - come on.

I don't think she knew more than Rodney; I just think he was getting ahead of himself because of the time constraint and shocked when it didn't work out, whereas she was on a more basic level and thinking through the process. Sort of the way I'm a crappy driver and therefore paranoid about doing everything right, and therefore notice when someone's doing something wrong.

spoilers for "200"
                    Spoiler:

Comment

I'm uploading the caps as we speak If someone else doesn't upload them by then do ya want me to post the link here for them?
                      Where are they!? I NEED my DS using Shep.

Comment

Naw....Everyone else seems to be able to talk at a normal volume but McKay always seems to want to shout for some reason
                        I notice this too. He sounds slightly different from the others also. Not that the quality is worse, but just seems off. Always closer to the mic?

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon 304 View Post
                          Where are they!? I NEED my DS using Shep.
                          Um i know this is gonna be so obvious once i find out but um.....what is DS
                          sigpic

Comment

I so LOVED that episode! Exciting, adventure! Brilliant!

When they first started landed on the Daedalus, I was glad to see them talk to all of our support guys (Lorne, Zelenka, Chuck). They haven't been in it enough this season, I think. I wanted some more Woolsey, but sometimes there are just episodes like this. I remember one from last season where it was like Carter was on sabbatical, but whatever- minor detail.

Then when they started jumping, all I could hear was Teal'C saying "Ours is the only reality of consequence" especially when Shep wanted to fire on the aliens. I was all, "Don't do it, man!" but he did. And jeepers creepers those were some freaky aliens! Looked a little Borg-ish to me with the blinking heads. Their guns were neat too. It's nice to see SGA pick up some new tech for once.

All the different realities were thumbs up in my opinion. I'm a big fan of alternate reality storylines since I loved Sliders as a kid. I'm glad Atlantis wasn't below them in every one to allow for more variation. And hooray for space suits!

I'm really hung up on Rodney's "They were us and they failed" line. That was unnerving for sure. And poor Teyla. She definitely was having some mom guilt moments.

Overall, that was awesome! I am SO loving season 5!
                            sigpic

Comment

Um i know this is gonna be so obvious once i find out but um.....what is DS
                              Its a video game system.
                              Originally posted by aretood2
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

very poor episode

Shep was especially terrible on this one to the point of just annoying
                                I swear he's getting dangerously close to stealing McKay's position as head whiner

the only thing this episode had going was the new aliens which looked cool
                                except for the reuse of the weapon prop from SG1

5/10

Comment

Working...
                                X