Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Torchwood Episode Discussion (Spoilers for all eps aired in the UK)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay, I've re-watched these to see if I was being a little harsh. I must say, when paid more interest, Ianto is quite likeable, theres obviously something else to him that we haven't seen yet. I think its quite different to have two characters who arent in the thick of it, Gwen, whose learning the ropes, and Ianto, who just lets things happen, the "attacking" line was admitedly brilliant.

Jack has something else about him, what happened to him would shake up most people, but not him, theres something else we really don't know yet, and it should be interesting to find out.

"Everything Changes" rises to an 8 partly because of Suzie's ending and the shock of that happening. I have to say, when she shot Jack I was sure it was some sort of test for Gwen. The other reason is down to Jack and the mystery of his character that I really didnt appreciate until the second viewing.

My score for "Day One" rises to a 7 for two reasons. First of all the Ianto moments, second of all Jack telling Gwen to let the job be a job, and not her life, theres something behind that that adds to the mystery.
    Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
    - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

I'm wondering if Ianto might not be the most dangerous of them all. Well, other than Jack, of course. The polite, helpful butler role is just a disguise.

re: the hand- Is it the fact that it's the Doctor's, or is it the fact that it's within the first 12 hours of a regeneration? I'm thinking the latter might play a part in things, although if Jack is researching ways to STOP regeneration (for himself) it could spell big trouble for the Doctor.

How did the Alien Sex Fiend know the hand was so important to Jack?

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
        I do have a few questions about the first ep-

Is Cardiff really that small that people can run everywhere? Or is it just that the Torchwood facility is conveniently central to everything?
        Well, I walked from the city centre to the bay and it seemed to take hours (really only 20 minutes but it was past all these creepy looking high rises). It's a fairly compact city but I wouldn't expect anyone to run everywhere.

Comment

I think she saw him glance at it as he realised she was standing near it... though I could be completely making that up...
          sigpic

Comment

It was a creepy looking pickled hand in a organisation involved with aliens. they're hardly likely to have it around for decoration are they?

Comment

Well I thought I was going to quote half the people here so I decided it would just be better to share my thoughts.

I went into watching the series a little wearily after reading the reviews here. But, to be honest, I was fairly satisfied with them! They didn't blow me away, but they were amusing enough. Admitedly, It drew me into some bits of laughter, which probably dosen't speak much for my character. (Though, in defense, despite being worried over the quality, I was extremely giddy when I watched them.)

As far as the argument over the preferances of the team, I don't think we have to worry too much. It was stated a while ago that someone was a little concerned with the preferences of the other staff members. We were told a while ago that Tashiko was bi, but other wise as far as we know the rest are straight. Owen, I think, was just trying to evade a scrap, one of the reasons he fled immediately. And "the creature" also was making people attracted to it, which would probably be the reason Gwen had her momement, as she seemed to have an 'oooh. so that's why I did that' moment when they figured out the mechanics.

I'm enjoying the characters so far. I'm not overly fond of Owen. (Was going to call him Harper, but then he reminds me of Andromeda's Harper. BUt on this note I have come to the conclusion that Owen is Harper's anscestor. Simply because they're enough alike. *L*) But he might grow on me. Heh.

I'm glad someone said they liked Ianto. I think he has a lot of potential. Half my laughs actually came from a couple of his lines. I really think there's something he's not letting on about himself, too. Or maybe just because he seems to be the most easy going...which is kind of part of his job, I suppose. But, still. If HE turns out to be a villian, I might shed a tear. *L*

Both episodes had come GREAT lines, at least in my opinion. I nearly died during Jack's little talk about the rain in the first episode. Also the officer's little spiel about "CSI: Cardif". I so want to do a spoof >.>

Ironically, though, two of my favorite moments were in the second episode.

First was the scene where Jack had exited and everyone started interogating Gwen about him. I think that in itself said a lot about how Jack's changed. It was also great to see that at least Gwen got a hint that JAck has his reasons to stay secret.

The other was "the hand" scene. It nearly broke my heart. We've only seen Jack really lash out once before this (After Rose "Died") but he looked absolutely livid and terrified when the jar was taken, then smashed. And then broken when he was cradelling the hand. Yes. I hugged my screen. Much to the annoyance of the others who were watching. >.> I'm a dork.

I'm not familar with Cardiff, but I can understand why some of you were a little put off by all the overhead shots.

Bah. I want to rant on, but classwork and classes themselves call x.x

Edit: EEP! One more thing. For those concerned they might throw in a Jack/Gwen ship... I'm going to remain hopeful and consider the later scenes of the 2nd episode when Jack tells Gwen to go home and lead a normal life. Im going to hope he sticks to that philosophy.

Now am I saying that they absolutely won't have a fling? No. Gwen seems very intrigued by Jack, and Jack is just fascinated by the fact that someone is alive. (I liked his line: Do you want to feel alive. Emphasis on feel ,not actually being. A fraud, a substitute.) So that might boil up to something. But will it actually form into "something" I don't think so/hope not, simply out of the fact that as much as Jack has changed, I think he knows what he'd be destroying for Gwen. Exspecially considering he knows that his life has never been predictible.
              Last edited by SoulSpinder; 24 October 2006, 07:10 AM. Reason: additional thoughts
              "Scientists say juggling is good for the brain....Or...was that...Jelllll-o?

Comment

I watched the first episode on my iPod yesterday (I'll watch "Day One" today, hopefully). I didn't expect that there were going to be swear words, but there were and I was very happy about that, swear word make a TV Show slightly better. Now to episode 1, I thought it was pretty good, the suicide at the end was a complete shock to me, it took me by surprise.

I really think David Tennant should appear this season so I can find out: A) how Captain Jack returned to Earth and B) what Rose did to Jack in the Finale of Season 1 (I'm American so I don't use Series) other than resurrecting him from death.

After watching the 1st episode, I think Torchwood is going to be a very good series. I'll be back after watching "Day One," aka Episode 2.
                sigpic

Comment

Another thought about the severed hand- maybe Jack thinks he can use it to track the Doctor. Like calling to like or something.

Comment

Right after Jack explains the perception filter, am I the only one who shouted "Somebody Elses Problem Field" (in my head at least)? Please tell me I'm not the only one who thought that.

Comment

Yeah, this new version of Jack has a whole new darkness/depth to him. Makes me love him even more.
                      Yeh, same ole jack but he seems more tormented due to what happened to him in the Parting of The Ways.

I can't wait to see how they develop that storyline, and what really happened.

Also on another note, I found it slightly amusing that the dead guy's name at the start of the first episode, was John Tucker.
                      ...John Tucker Must Die...

Stars with gates are cool...
                      "Somewhere, somebody's blog just blew up."

Comment

Originally posted by VirtualCLD View Post
                        Right after Jack explains the perception filter, am I the only one who shouted "Somebody Elses Problem Field" (in my head at least)? Please tell me I'm not the only one who thought that.
                        THANK YOU!

I thought I was the only one here who had picked up on that!
                        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                          THANK YOU!

So did I.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                            THANK YOU!

*crys* I don't get it...

Stars with gates are cool...
                            "Somewhere, somebody's blog just blew up."

Comment

Originally posted by VirtualCLD View Post
                              Oh yeah! Classic Douglas Adams. We all know real invisibility is very expensive, just label it "somebody elses problem" and the mind ignores it.
                              "The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the day they start making vacuum cleaners."
                              - Ernst Jan Plugge

Comment

Just a thought. Suzie is credited in imdb as being in most of the episodes. I know it is not the most reliable source, but will she be back?
                                "The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the day they start making vacuum cleaners."
                                - Ernst Jan Plugge

Comment

Working...
                                X