Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Contemporary Music in SGU (Spoilers through S1 and 2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
    There was also that song that played over the Wray/Sharon scenes.

Comfort - Deb Talan
    "Dying doesn't work in our favour!"

Comment

Originally posted by Nylon View Post
      Comfort - Deb Talan
      Added, thanks
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the song that played over the end of 1.11 "Space" was Rob Thomas' "Now Comes the Night", was it not?
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqMY9mMMJKU

Yes

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
            Correct me if I'm wrong, but the song that played over the end of 1.11 "Space" was Rob Thomas' "Now Comes the Night", was it not?
            yes it was.
            https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Excellent, added to the master list

Comment

This list is a great idea... I may be one of a very few but I love the contemporary tunes scattered throughout this show so far. I think life is better with a good soundtrack and I think the music they choose brings a greater sense of the feelings behind the show. Music is one of the greatest tools for memory... It creates a focal point for major events and emotions.

Anywho... like the thread... love the tunes.... off to download
                sigpic Gets better with age!

Conventions:
                Creation Vancouver SG Con 2009 - 2010 - 2011 - 2012
                GateCon Vancouver 2011
                Creation Chicago SG Con 2013 - 2014

Comment

Oh, I love this thread!!
                  I'm always curious about the songs they use *goes off to download tunes*
                  sigpic
                  Sig by Everlovin My YT|My other vid site|My LJ|My Photobucket|My ImageShack|"Stargate is life, Sam and Jack are happiness, Shippers are almighty" by hlndncr

Comment

This thread is just full of win.

Comment

The use of music in Stargate before has been rather limited. It worked well in Vegas and was beautiful in Unending... but in SGU? It seems like every other 'drama' uses the 'music + montage' technique. Having said that, most of the music choices for SGU have worked well. I smiled so broadly when I heard Rob Thomas of Matchbox 20 fame during Space. Still... I don't think it should be incorporated every episode. Only for special occasions. I don't want every episode to feel like Grey's Anatomy.
                      sigpic
                      More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

I'm not a fan of using contemporary music in SGU; I think the soundtrack by itself is extraordinary and stands on its own.

That said, I thank them for introducing me to Flogging Molly, who are rather fun, and I keep coming across songs where I'm going, 'Oh, that would be really good in SGU ...' Most of them are rather downbeat folk songs, of course, this being me.

Comment

Originally posted by EllieVee View Post
                          That said, I thank them for introducing me to Flogging Molly, who are rather fun
                          There is hope for you yet, EllieVee. It is all part of the master plan to infiltrate your brain . . .
                          sigpic
                          Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

Originally posted by carmencatalina View Post
                            There is hope for you yet, EllieVee. It is all part of the master plan to infiltrate your brain . . .
                            I just spent five days at a folk festival; liking Flogging Molly is a given, I think!

Comment

Re-posting from Space into in the official music discussion thread...

----------------------------------

I wanted to start a discussion to see how other might have felt about the music at the end of Space.

My thoughts...

Was that Rob Thomas?

For comparison, I think the music sequence at the end of Air worked well. Flogging Molly might be popular for Irish punk but I wouldn't consider it mainstream. The song was appropriate and helped convey the feeling of relief and sadness all at the same time.

The music at the end of space didn't really work as well for me. Partially because of the artist, it had a feel of: We're sticking this here to sell albums. The music wasn't as powerful, and didn't track with the emotions I was seeing on the screen.

It made me think... "I wish I was reading this in a book so I had a clue what was going on in these people's heads." The music in Air had the opposite effect of providing that insight just enough that my imagination filled in the blanks.

Thoughts?

Comment

Well I don't think their intention was to sell albums since this Rob Thomas song was released in 2005, I believe.

I found both music choices effective although I do prefer the use of the soundtrack
                                sigpic
                                Sig by Everlovin My YT|My other vid site|My LJ|My Photobucket|My ImageShack|"Stargate is life, Sam and Jack are happiness, Shippers are almighty" by hlndncr

Comment

Working...
                                X