No announcement yet.

Star Trek Questions and Answers Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I vaguely remember you talking it back when the Onion was still around. I remember how Voyager was your favorite
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

It does occur that I could quite easily create an essentials only viewing list. Like I could cut it down to only about 6 or 7 TOS episodes for a start. You only need the movies from 1 to 4, skip five all together then 6. TNG, DS9 and Voyager would take some more thought... ENT you could reduce down to about a dozen episodes to 40 odd depending on how keen you are to include the Xindi arc... Only need Generations and First Contact movie wise after that.
      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
        I wouldn't say never.

732 episodes of television divided would only take you two years if you watched one a day. Throw in the 13 movies when appropriate.
        By that point you'd likely have the first ten episodes of the new Picard show and another dozen or so of Discovery but he'd likely be done in time for Disco season 4, Picard season 1 and Section 31 season 1.
        Originally posted by jelgate View Post
        I did a rewatch once. It took me a little over a year to do the whole franchise. This does not include Discovery because I refuse to pay for the CBS All Access
        Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
        Yeah I did a full franchise rewatch a few years back. I don't remember exactly how long it took me, but in the neighbourhood of a year sounds about right.

I'm not demanding you new folks go do so, I'm just joining in
        You folks must have far more free time than I do.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
          You folks must have far more free time than I do.
          I can work a 40 hour week and still get through 20 episode series in that time.

Comment

Usually faster.

Comment

I can work a 40 hour week and still get through 20 episode series in that time.
              Yup! Plus 1-2 hours of commute time every day.

Not impossible!
              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Ever since I got into Discovery I've been watching a couple episodes on and off on Space Channel (I think this is the Canadian version of Sci-Fi). ST is a bit too lighthearted for me, but I did enjoy the two Voyager episodes I watched yesterday.

One about the space anomaly and the 21st century astronaut and another one with the weird guy who was totally into his new little ship, which had an evil AI on board and almost killed his Klingon wife. Didn't finish this one tho.
                Spoiler:
                I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
                  Ever since I got into Discovery I've been watching a couple episodes on and off on Space Channel (I think this is the Canadian version of Sci-Fi). ST is a bit too lighthearted for me, but I did enjoy the two Voyager episodes I watched yesterday.

One about the space anomaly and the 21st century astronaut and another one with the weird guy who was totally into his new little ship, which had an evil AI on board and almost killed his Klingon wife. Didn't finish this one tho.
                  If you prefer less light hearted stuff then I highly recommend DS9. I have discovered that the fans who are most ok with Disocvery tend to be people who hold DS9 as their favourite or joint favourite show. Plus out of all the shows (including Discovery) it probably has the characters who are the most real... Like most Treks though you need to get past a fairly shaky first season. Otherwise it has some of the darkest themes.

Ah yes. the episodes ”One Small Step” and ”Alice”. Not really Voyager’s best. ”One Small Step” has a few good moments but ”Alice” is just kinda crappy. Waste of a Tom Paris episode who is usually a pretty awesome character...

Comment

If you prefer less light hearted stuff then I highly recommend DS9. I have discovered that the fans who are most ok with Disocvery tend to be people who hold DS9 as their favourite or joint favourite show. Plus out of all the shows (including Discovery) it probably has the characters who are the most real... Like most Treks though you need to get past a fairly shaky first season. Otherwise it has some of the darkest themes.

Ah yes. the episodes ”One Small Step” and ”Alice”. Not really Voyager’s best. ”One Small Step” has a few good moments but ”Alice” is just kinda crappy. Waste of a Tom Paris episode who is usually a pretty awesome character...
                    I thought One Small Step was a good one, loved the fact they recognize they are flying around in ''luxury'' compared to our current level of tech and that those astronauts are considered heroes. Also I'm impressed with the science that's spot on, like having the corpse of the deceased guy more or less still intact even after two centuries, the vacuum of space does preserve organic matter pretty well.
                    Spoiler:
                    I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
                      I thought One Small Step was a good one, loved the fact they recognize they are flying around in ''luxury'' compared to our current level of tech and that those astronauts are considered heroes. Also I'm impressed with the science that's spot on, like having the corpse of the deceased guy more or less still intact even after two centuries, the vacuum of space does preserve organic matter pretty well.
                      It is good in a lot of areas. Star Trek doesn’t generally deal much with pre-warp space travel but when they do it’s often fairly interesting.

Comment

Watch as I studiously don't comment on Voyager

Looking forward to a new round of questions after tonight
                        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

More likely to be the other way around. The Dominion was said to have endured for a thousand years without defeat. That leads me to think it’d be the Krenim that would invent their chroniton torpedoes in defence of Dominion ships. But as I will point out next...

That is certainly correct. Maps like this are handy guide posts but are mainly built upon by some very limited evidence. We for example have no idea where most of the Federation planets are beyond things like whether they are in the inner or outer areas of Federation space. Nor do we know exactly where the major powers should be beyond knowing that the Romulans and Klingons are mostly located in the Beta Quadrant, but their positions on the map completely disregard several other pieces of evidence throughout the franchise. As for everything to do with the delta quadrant we really have no clue since Voyager’s path was so narrow on its journey that areas belonging to a particular race could be far bigger or smaller than shown here.
                          could be....would've been neat though if the Krenim had come onto the scene though and had the Dominion fighting on 2 fronts...though given that only small parts of their respective empires in likely outlying areas to each empire seem to be anywhere near each other the only thing that may have came about was a few skirmishes after which both sides decided not to waste any more resources on border skirmishes and decided to simply leave each other alone

Comment

Thought I’d give this thread a bump for anyone who has any questions in relation to Picard.

Digi, come back. We’re back in business.

Comment

I must know what the Borg cube means
                              Originally posted by aretood2
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                                I must know what the Borg cube means
                                Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.

Comment

Working...
                                X