12 Monkeys coming on SYFY (SPOILERS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
    To be fair, they have a number of very interesting projects upcoming, but the jury is still out on them.
    There is all ways something interesting upcoming on syfy, but it never comes, and i'm tired of waiting for it.

Comment

Originally posted by pakar View Post
      There is all ways something interesting upcoming on syfy, but it never comes, and i'm tired of waiting for it.
      True, but as of late they have at least been talking a better game, with The Expanse, Childhood's End, 12 Monkeys and other projects. I too will wait to see what actually airs, but at least it sounds like they might be trying to get back to what they used to be.

Comment

True, but as of late they have at least been talking a better game, with The Expanse, Childhood's End, 12 Monkeys and other projects. I too will wait to see what actually airs, but at least it sounds like they might be trying to get back to what they used to be.
        The problem is who will be there for these new shows. 1.35 for a well promoted show's premiere is very low. I was almost shocked when i read it.

Comment

ratings are much better in L+3

http://www.spoilertv.com/2015/01/12-...t-l3-lift.html

Comment

Originally posted by pakar View Post
            That is something that network execs and advertiser execs need to start wrapping their heads around. You can't just count Live+SD anymore. Many people time shift their viewing to fit their schedules. Particularly when you're aiming for an audience with above average familiarity with tech. I've got entire seasons of shows on the DVR that I will watch when I get time.

But all the execs seem to care about is live +SD, so they are ignoring a good chunk of their viewers.

Comment

Mainly because anybody not watching live will skip through the ads, which makes those numbers irrelevant to advertisers.

Comment

That is something that network execs and advertiser execs need to start wrapping their heads around. You can't just count Live+SD anymore. Many people time shift their viewing to fit their schedules. Particularly when you're aiming for an audience with above average familiarity with tech. I've got entire seasons of shows on the DVR that I will watch when I get time.

But all the execs seem to care about is live +SD, so they are ignoring a good chunk of their viewers.
                According to a comment on TVByNumbers NBC who owns Syfy will be promoting the network to ads execs with L+3 from now on.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian-S View Post
                  Mainly because anybody not watching live will skip through the ads, which makes those numbers irrelevant to advertisers.
                  You still have to watch the screen when you're zipping through the ads, and if an ad for a product that I'm in the market for appears, I can stop it and watch the ad. If there is nothing I stop it for, then they lose nothing, 'cause I would not have bought anything that was advertised anyway.

Comment

You still have to watch the screen when you're zipping through the ads, and if an ad for a product that I'm in the market for appears, I can stop it and watch the ad. If there is nothing I stop it for, then they lose nothing, 'cause I would not have bought anything that was advertised anyway.
                    I don't have a DVR anymore, mainly because I was recording a lot of stuff I never seemed to have the time for. I do have Hulu Plus though, on which you cannot fast forward through the commercials. I just find something else to do during that time though, and I do the same if watching live. I hate commercials even though I realize they are necessary to pay for the production.

Syfy does have quite a few good things on the horizon, but I am skeptical about them putting the money into them that would be necessary to do them justice. That trailer for The Expanse did not impress me at all, so these days I'm wishing all of those projects would go to Netflix, Amazon or HBO instead.

Comment

Originally posted by ecgordon View Post

Syfy does have quite a few good things on the horizon, but I am skeptical about them putting the money into them that would be necessary to do them justice. That trailer for The Expanse did not impress me at all, so these days I'm wishing all of those projects would go to Netflix, Amazon or HBO instead.
                      It would be better if they were doing fewer shows with bigger budget.The last year they started 4 new series and a miniseries. At least 4 more shows are coming in 2015. It is unavoidable that their shows will have lower budget and they won't be so good. For example see the pilot for The man in the high castle which, originally, was to be produced for syfy. It is very good and expensive but it wouldn't be if it was made for syfy.
                      The problem is that syfy right now is the only channell which will do space sci fi. No other network or cable channell is interested in that.

Comment

If by "space show" you mean most of the action taking place on a space ship you might be right. But SPIKE is producing Red Mars, based on Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars Trilogy, and FOX studios have optioned Ann Leckie's Ancillary Justice, although it it too soon to know if it will be produced any time soon or what network might buy it.

Comment

You don't have to spend a ton of money to be good. 50+ years of Doctor Who ought to settle that question.

Haven is very good. So is Continuum. (although SyFy bought it from another producer). So They CAN air good shows.
                          What SyFy seems to do is to allow the fear of budget costs dictate the stories they tell.

Take "Ascension" for example. I sort of think that started out to be what it was advertised to be, but some damned bean counter ordered the story be rewritten so that it wasn't really set in space. This is what makes for poor science fiction.

Comment

Originally posted by ecgordon View Post
                            If by "space show" you mean most of the action taking place on a space ship you might be right. But SPIKE is producing Red Mars, based on Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars Trilogy, and FOX studios have optioned Ann Leckie's Ancillary Justice, although it it too soon to know if it will be produced any time soon or what network might buy it.
                            I don't think that Fox will ever do a space show and even if they do they will cancell it! As for the Mars trilogy will see its a difficult and huge story to be adapted on tv, not to mention that many times in the past such ambituous projects have announced but never realized.
                            Anyway for 2015 the only channell which we are sure it will have a space show (good or bad) and after almost 4 years without a spave show , is syfy. I'm not saying i like it, but it's the truth.
                            Postscript: as for HBO, amazon yes finally hbo is doing sci fi with westworld and nettfix with sense 8 and i hope amazon will do The man in the high castle so itseems that we will finally get good sci fi from other channels too. But let's be cautious untill they will start ( i'm reading for sense 8 for more than a year now and still hasn't happen not to mention the case of space 2099)
                            Last edited by pakar; 23 January 2015, 12:11 PM.

Comment

I'm wondering why Syfy is making the next episode of 12 Monkeys available On Demand. Do they like the show enough they want to promote it and aren't too worried about the live ratings? I don't know if this will happen every week, but this morning I watched the third episode, and in spite of a major mistake during several scenes in Haiti, I am still liking it.

Comment

They're probably trying to get people invested in the show by giving them advance access to it for a limited time. The On demand is only available on the following day, if I understand correctly.

Comment

Working...
                                X