Destiny - Sparks Flying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by albert12 View Post
    Actualy, after some consideration, there is a good reason for sparks flying.

Destiny is old and definetly showing it's age. Therefore, the insulation around a lot of the wires is frayed, cracked, etc. Under normal operations, the shields don't pull much power, and the current stays in the wire. But when under fire, it draws a lot more current, which overcomes the resistance of the air and current starts jumping from the wires to the (grounded) walls-hence a lot of sparks.
    I see, that's not a bad explanation... but how would that tie in to when they experience turbulence?
    SyFy: "Are you SGU fans done asking for a third season?"
    SGU Fans: "WE'LL NEVER BE DONE!"

SAVE SGU! SGU CAMPAIGNS ARE UNITING AT SG:UNITE!
    ACTION PLAN TO GET SGU SEASON 3!

I have gotten 15 people hooked on SGU. How many more can you get? ‎
    Spoiler:
    *beep*
    Young: "What the hell was that?"
    Eli: "It's Destiny letting us know it finished assembling the simulation. Either that or pi is done."

Comment

Originally posted by Mozzza View Post
      I see, that's not a bad explanation... but how would that tie in to when they experience turbulence?
      The only thing I can think of is that some vital part that helps compinsate for turbulance is not functioning, so the shields aren't able to anticipate and gently ranp up current, instead responding to it as though it was weapons fire.

Comment

Originally posted by albert12 View Post
        The only thing I can think of is that some vital part that helps compinsate for turbulance is not functioning, so the shields aren't able to anticipate and gently ranp up current, instead responding to it as though it was weapons fire.
        Yeah, that's all I came up with too xD. Well, at least I have a good answer (thanks ) if anybody asks while we're watching the show (I'm showing my family the entire series).

Spoiler:
        *beep*
        Eli: "It's Destiny letting us know it finished assembling the simulation. Either that or pi is done."

Comment

Shield(s). I always figured certain areas of the shields covering the ship would weaken and remain weakened.(Somewhat like a piece of armor) Rather than having the shields cover the entire ship equally, if an area of the shields were damaged then they would hold, but diminish under any additional fire.

In my opinion that makes more sense than having the shields covers 100 percent of Destiny for designated time, where one area of the ship could receive 100 percent of the fire and the entire ship's shield energy is depleted.

Comment

I hate the sparks too.

Comment

Originally posted by WindowsME View Post
              Shield(s). I always figured certain areas of the shields covering the ship would weaken and remain weakened.(Somewhat like a piece of armor) Rather than having the shields cover the entire ship equally, if an area of the shields were damaged then they would hold, but diminish under any additional fire.

In my opinion that makes more sense than having the shields covers 100 percent of Destiny for designated time, where one area of the ship could receive 100 percent of the fire and the entire ship's shield energy is depleted.
              That's another reasonable explanation.

Spoiler:
              *beep*

Comment

Originally posted by ZoSo View Post
                I hate the sparks too.
                Then you must hate darn near every scifi film, sine they all use sparks as a sign the ship is in trouble..

Comment

Originally posted by JustAnotherVoice View Post
                  Destiny shut down most of her systems every time we've seen her fly into a star. There's nothing to overload if nothing's drawing power.

Flying into a star is different, too. The power requirements would steadily rise until the star powers the shields, whereas in battle, power requirements spike as they get hit, and energy is drawn from whatever source possible.

At least, that's the best explaination I can offer.
                  Exactly. That's exactly what I was thinking! It would also explain why new ships spark.
                  Last edited by sgc; 07 December 2010, 02:50 PM. Reason: encompassed new ships

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                    Then you must hate darn near every scifi film, sine they all use sparks as a sign the ship is in trouble..
                    Well, you can hate sparks but not the film or show itself , but seeing as there have been some great answers on this thread, I actually don't mind the sparks now.

Spoiler:
                    *beep*

Comment

Sparks and shaking are annoying.

The captain saying "Seal off the affected areas!" is even more annoying. Any ship capable of traveling FTL is certainly capable of sealing off damaged areas as necessary long before any human could identify the problem, call a command so a subordinate and said lackey take the appropriate action. By the time the captain yelled "Sea..." it would have already been done.

That sequence should go more like "Sir, hull breach section 40C, sealed, 5 crew MIA, Emergency Response Team Bravo in-route."

Comment

Originally posted by beafly View Post
                        Sparks and shaking are annoying.

The captain saying "Seal off the affected areas!" is even more annoying. Any ship capable of traveling FTL is certainly capable of sealing off damaged areas as necessary long before any human could identify the problem, call a command so a subordinate and said lackey take the appropriate action. By the time the captain yelled "Sea..." it would have already been done.

That sequence should go more like "Sir, hull breach section 40C, sealed, 5 crew MIA, Emergency Response Team Bravo in-route."
                        Yeah, that's true. But I did like in the latest episode where they showed the doors closing and the camera tracked backwards. I think it just adds to the drama.

Spoiler:
                        *beep*

Comment

Originally posted by Mozzza View Post
                          Yeah, that's true. But I did like in the latest episode where they showed the doors closing and the camera tracked backwards. I think it just adds to the drama.
                          Yes. It adds to the drama significantly. That's what those camera angles and shots are for.

Comment

it may depend on how the shields are designed

it may be like a bullet proof vest, the bullet doesnt get through but you still end up with a bruise because of the actual impact rather than the thing that impacted you

Comment

If the sparks really affected you (I'm assuming that you are truely over your spark-phobia now as you said the posts here-within have cleared it up for you), then what do you think of cars "blowing up" in balls of fire on other shows? Thank God that any accident I've ever been in didn't end in my burning carcus having a fire extenguisher sprayed on it.

As for scientific explanations, I can't agree with the light bulbs bursting because we haven't seen the storage area with all the millions of extra light bulbs needed every time (almost as elusive as the bathroom scenes). I however don't find fault in the theories concerning the shield's and other wiring within the walls drawing too much power for their frayed state. Though I can't foresee how said sparks would be flying from within the walls into the corridors.

Just a rant to get me off the other topics
                              sigpic

Comment

I understand the need for sparks, but shouldn't alien technology react differently to an overload? I like Mozzza's idea with the bursts of green flames. That would seem like alien tech overload to me.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X