No announcement yet.

The Clone Wars -- an on-screen timeline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, like I said--judgement call I can see what you're saying, and I do think that watching the show in the original order might better show the show's stylistic (both visual and in writing) evolution. But I think there are also very strong arguments to be made for chronology.

Incidentally, Teddybrown, I should also point out that the chronology is still in flux at this point. Lucas Licensing hasn't yet issued an official chronology factoring in the CGI series. They're planning on doing that when the show is either over or fairly close to over, so the chronology as we understand it right now (what I keep updated in the first post of this thread) is reasoned out by the collective of canon-strict SW fanatics at Wookieepedia.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Thanks for this Digi, made the first season easier to follow, knowing where some of the episodes were concluded and where they lay in the overall story.
      On to Season 2!
      Watching them in airing order first, going to do a rewatch of chronoligical order after...
      1000 posts
      Last edited by Teddybrown; 29 August 2011, 03:19 AM.

Comment

You're really blazing through 'em eh? I'm impressed! I hope you continue to enjoy. IMO the series has gotten better with each successive season, so I think you're in for some real treats

Incidentally....damn, this is making me want to re-watch before Season 4 starts
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
          You're really blazing through 'em eh? I'm impressed! I hope you continue to enjoy. IMO the series has gotten better with each successive season, so I think you're in for some real treats

Incidentally....damn, this is making me want to re-watch before Season 4 starts
          Pretty easy to blaze through them as Ive got a four day weekend, and Ive seen most of the season 1 episodes already it seems...
          Yeah, from the random episodes Ive seen from seasons 2 and 3, it looks like its a really good show that only gets better! Storylines look interesting too!

Comment

Year Two (21-20 years Before the Battle of Yavin)
            Battle of Christophsis: The Clone Wars 2.16 "Cat and Mouse"
            Battle of Christophsis: The Clone Wars 1.16 "The Hidden Enemy"
            Battle of Christophsis: The Clone Wars (film)
            Battle of Ryloth: The Clone Wars 3.03 "Supply Lines"
            Battle of Ryloth: The Clone Wars 1.01 "Ambush"
            Battle of Ryloth: The Clone Wars 1.19 "Storm Over Ryloth"
            Battle of Ryloth: The Clone Wars 1.20 "Innocents of Ryloth"
            Battle of Ryloth: The Clone Wars 1.21 "Liberty on Ryloth"
            Droids: The Clone Wars 1.06 "Downfall of a Droid"
            Droids: The Clone Wars 1.07 "Duel of the Droids"
            Malevolence: The Clone Wars 1.02 "Rising Malevolence"
            Malevolence: The Clone Wars 1.03 "Shadow of Malevolence"
            Malevolence: The Clone Wars 1.04 "Destroy Malevolence"
            Rookies: The Clone Wars 3.01 "Clone Cadets"
            Rookies: The Clone Wars 1.05 "Rookies"
            Rookies: The Clone Wars 3.02 "ARC Troopers"
            Gunray Captured: The Clone Wars 1.08 "Bombad Jedi"
            Gunray Captured: The Clone Wars 1.09 "Cloak of Darkness"
            Gunray Captured: The Clone Wars 1.10 "Lair of Grevious"
            Grevious Captured: The Clone Wars 1.11 "Dooku Captured"
            Grevious Captured: The Clone Wars 1.12 "The Gungan General"
            Just been looking through your timeline, and noticed one small error, and I have a question regarding the placement of an episode
            The Grevious Captured two parter, shouldnt that be Dooku Captured?
            And, youve put Ambush as Part 2 in the Battle for Ryloth series, are you sure it goes there? Im just querying that because arent they two different planets? And also, arent they two different species of alien? Im going to rewatch Ambush, as Im pretty sure its a different planet and alien species...
            Ive also just thought about Ambush and when Yoda first arrives, the planet is neutral and both Separatists and Republic are there to persuade King Kutenko? to allow them to build a base there, and offer protection. And in supply lines, isnt Bail Organa and Jar Jar sent by Yoda to ask Kutenko for aid? So shouldnt Ambush be before supply lines as if the Republic went to ask for aid before that episode, they would have had to broker a deal, or be met by Seperatists?

Comment

On the first point, yes that should be Dooku captured, not Grievous. I guess I went a little cross-eyed with all those episode titles and names on my screen

As to the second, I'll have to check after I get home. Don't have all my reference stuff here at work

Comment

On the first point, yes that should be Dooku captured, not Grievous. I guess I went a little cross-eyed with all those episode titles and names on my screen

As to the second, I'll have to check after I get home. Don't have all my reference stuff here at work
                Your timelines really helping where episodes have been abit out of synch but the episodes seem to be following themselves now.
                Just thought those two looked abit wrong as I was beginning to plan my chronological rewatch, currently up to episode 10 season 2 of my first time viewing, and really enjoying the season as a whole, the Geonosis episodes were a nice bunch of episodes, Im sure the quality will keep getting better as I keep watching. Suprised there hasnt been an episode that Ive disliked yet...
                Even the episodes with Jar Jar Ive been able to like, you just kinda get used to his stupidity abit, but he has his moments...
                I like the way the clones are portrayed in this series, you get the sense the Jedi do really care about the clones, and I like their interactions.
                Even the droids are good characters in their own way, they are abit stupid sometimes, but their stupidity gives you abit of a chuckle, and sometimes I even feel abit sorry for the droids lol.
                Also, the quality in this series is really good! Some of the battles are so realistic, and Im glad we get to see more space and ground battles, and also alot of Jedi vs Jedi action that we dont really see in the films. I like the fact we get abit or alot of a battle in every episode.
                Overall its a really good series, Im suprised at the quality of it, and also, some of the things they explore and show in the episodes, can now say Im a fan of this series!

Comment

I forgot to check last night so I'm just looking on Wookieepedia now, but it looks like the order I have up for the Ryloth arc is correct as per the current reasoning over there.

Season 3's Supply Lines is meant as a precursor to Season 1's Ambush, and you can see it in terms of escalation. Without revealing too much (so as not to spoil you) Supply Lines is concerned with Katuunko providing just humanitarian aid to besieged Ryloth, Ambush is about Yoda convincing Katuunko to become actively involved by allowing the Republic to build a base, and then the trilogy near the end of Season 1 concerns the liberation of Ryloth itself. Hope that helps

edit; and I just corrected the Grievous/Dooku goof. Thanks again for that

Comment

I forgot to check last night so I'm just looking on Wookieepedia now, but it looks like the order I have up for the Ryloth arc is correct as per the current reasoning over there.

Season 3's Supply Lines is meant as a precursor to Season 1's Ambush, and you can see it in terms of escalation. Without revealing too much (so as not to spoil you) Supply Lines is concerned with Katuunko providing just humanitarian aid to besieged Ryloth, Ambush is about Yoda convincing Katuunko to become actively involved by allowing the Republic to build a base, and then the trilogy near the end of Season 1 concerns the liberation of Ryloth itself. Hope that helps

edit; and I just corrected the Grievous/Dooku goof. Thanks again for that
                    Oh right, ok, yeah, that makes sense the whole order of that part now.
                    I already know what happens in Supply Lines as I watched a breakdown of the Ryloth invasion... just didnt know they went there to request help from an unallied planet and get just humanitarian aid, thought they went there for help when they were allies...
                    I read an unspoiler synopsis for those episodes and thought they went there for help from their allie, but I understand now, cheers for clearing that up...

And your welcome regarding the Dooku/Grevious mix up, mistakes happen all the time, glad to be of help

Comment

DigiFluid: When I purchased season 1-3 I knew I wanted to see the episodes in a chronolagical order but it was very hard to find a good timeline anywhere. Your list seems to be the best around. I think. I thought I'd sign in to let you know my impressions while I'm watching the episodes according to your timeline.

The beginning is perfect. Perhaps some of the non-Ahsoka episodes should be in the beginning too?

In Storm Over Ryloth Ahsoka is given her first mission as a commander. I think the Ryloth episodes are suppose to come much later since this is the first time we see her since the movie. She seems much more inexperienced in the episodes I've seen since (Downfall of a Droid/Duel of the Droids).

Comment

Cheers, Bigmouth. But I hasten to point out that it's not "my" ordering, I'm just summarizing and paraphrasing what's been worked out by the army of Star Wars fans on Wookieepedia

Comment

I hope i havent missed out on this thread. If your still monitoring this Digifluid, post up. I have some questions and you have done the research to help me.

Comment

Cheers, Bigmouth. But I hasten to point out that it's not "my" ordering, I'm just summarizing and paraphrasing what's been worked out by the army of Star Wars fans on Wookieepedia
                            Wow. I had to look back to who I was replying to in this post, it looked like I was being an arse to someone

Originally posted by jwinnington View Post
                            I hope i havent missed out on this thread. If your still monitoring this Digifluid, post up. I have some questions and you have done the research to help me.
                            I don't always remember to update this since--for a while now--the assumption has been that they're continuing in the order they've been airing (for the most part).

But ask away and I will do my best to answer. Where I can't, I'm sure someone else can pitch in to help too. There's more than a few big SW nerds on this forum

Comment

I haven't read everything in this thread so i apologize if i repeat anything already covered. Thank you for putting the show in some kind of order. I am a big fan of the books and video games that have been around and I feel the clone wars show has kinda screwed some stuff up. i guess they aren't going to cover the dark reaper thing and the whole Boba Fett stuff has changed. Am i to assume that these shows are cannon and supersede everything before? Also what happen to the first two movies cartoon network came out with? where are they in this. It seems Lucas lets writers go ahead and write their books, puts his seal of approval on them and then changes it whenever he wants to. Yea hes got the right to do that but it really messes it up for fictional historians like me. Thank for listening and i hope i made sense.

Joe

Comment

i guess they aren't going to cover the dark reaper thing
                                Anybody's guess, but likely not. The show is generally considered to be taking place in 21 BBY, and the Dark Reaper was destroyed earlier in the war (in 22 BBY)

and the whole Boba Fett stuff has changed.
                                Not sure what's meant by this to be honest. Boba Fett has only had a handful of appearances in the TV show; I think it's only three right, which were a trilogy of one story. There's no reason why any EU stuff and any TCW stuff should be at odds.

Am i to assume that these shows are cannon and supersede everything before?
                                To a point, yes. The hierarchy of Star Wars canon runs:
                                1. G-canon: The top tier of canon, which consists of everything in the two trilogies, and anything said by George Lucas. This level is essentially word-of-god. Anything that contradicts this canon level is wrong, fullstop.
                                2. T-canon: Second tier, though it shares much in common with G-canon. It consists of both the animated Genndy series and the CGI TCW series, and will go on to include any other SW television series that get produced. This is the next level down of word-of-god for Star Wars. The TV series are absolute canon, and anything that contradicts them is incorrect--unless the show happens to contradict something from the two trilogies. If that happens, the show is wrong, and the movie is correct
                                3. C-canon: Third tier, best known as the Expanded Universe. This includes novels, comics, short stories, eBooks, and video games. As with the level above, all of these are canon--except in cases where they contradict a higher tier of canon. When that happens, the C-level source is incorrect and in need of revision or retcon.
                                4. S-canon: The mostly forgotten stuff, might be best referred to as soft canon. Stuff like the Marvel comics, and other material that predates the start of the effort to maintain a universe continuity. Occasionally, some of these will be elevated to C-canon if a C-canon writer directly recognizes it in one of their works.
                                5. N-canon: Non-canon. The what-if Infinities, things irreconcilably at odds with higher levels of canon, and deleted scenes fall into this category.

Also what happen to the first two movies cartoon network came out with? where are they in this.
                                Well they weren't movies, but they're still around and still T-canon. For some reason the DVDs seem to be out of production, but they're still generally respected and treated per their placement in the canon hierarchy.

It seems Lucas lets writers go ahead and write their books, puts his seal of approval on them and then changes it whenever he wants to. Yea hes got the right to do that but it really messes it up for fictional historians like me.
                                Funny you should say something like this.... Someone over at Wookieepedia had a similarly themed comment yesterday, to which I wrote a long response. To save myself a lot of typing, I'll just copy and paste it over here. So please don't take offense at any of it, as this was prompted by both Wookieepedians and comments over there before I even saw you start posting over here

Full text of my Wookieepedia rant:

------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                OPENING DISCLAIMER: While prompted by the OP's comments, the comments below are in no way intended as a specific attack on any one individual. This, rather, is a comment more on the general state of fandom with regards to The Clone Wars.

To be frank, I'm completely and utterly sick of the amount of whining to come out of the Star Wars community regarding The Clone Wars. Rule NUMBER ONE about the Star Wars universe: it's George Lucas's universe, and he can do whatever he likes with it. In the grand scheme of things, EU writers are nothing more than licensees who have been granted the high privilege of playing with GL's toys. If he decides he doesn't want Writer X to have control over it anymore because he wants to play with it, then tough s--t. They're his toys and this is what Writer X signed up for when they got on board.

This is doubly true for us on the fan level, who have no say in the writing of canon. If god himself cracks open the sky to say "hey, Subject Y is going to look like this now," it doesn't matter what Preacher Joe says to the contrary. 'Subject Y looking like this now' is the reality of things, no matter how much anyone stamps their feet and moans to the contrary.

This is why we, as both Star Wars fans and Wookieepedians, live and die by a strict hierarchy of canon. With G- and T-canon at the top of the pyramid, as effective word-of-god for the SW universe, we don't have canon contradictions, nor does G- or T-canon ever violate canon. All we have is a state of affairs in which old sources are incorrect and require retconning.

This is not something to whine and be upset over, nor is it anything new. With dozens and dozens of authors involved in the EU since 1978 (34 years ago now), contradictions whether possible or in-fact have always been both potentiality and reality. Dozens of writers means dozens of different perspectives and interpretations of events that may or may not have been the intention of either George Lucas or other EU writers.

As to Karen Traviss, I simply have to say "good riddance." As much as I enjoyed the Republic Commando series, and am still enjoying her work in the Gears of War universe, her exit from Star Wars was immature at best and downright petulant at worst. She knew very well everything I've elaborated on above, and rather than either live with the circumstances of what she had signed on for, or just to simply wait until the Mandalorian issues were resolved--which DID happen in the long run, just as everyone else knew it would be--she chose to have a tantrum and walk out. Besides being a deep disservice to the fans who lined her pockets by buying her Star Wars books, this was also staggeringly unprofessional.

Now, to The Clone Wars itself: nobody, least of all EU writers, can say with a straight face that they couldn't see this coming. Lucas is a VFX man, always has been. Whether referring to his 2002 announcement of intent to make an animated series, or the 2005 announcement that they were planning a 3D continuation of said series, or even just basic logical reasoning, anybody and everybody should have known that the Clone Wars were just waiting to be portrayed in official media. In all bluntness, whining about TCW is like swimming in gasoline next to an open flame, and then being indignant when you're lit on fire. If you (the general "you", not referring to anybody in specific here) didn't see this coming, you probably deserve that stinging slap on the back of the head that you're feeling like you got.

One final point here: length of time. The Clone Wars, specifically, has been known about since 2005--seven years now. And it's been releasing material since 2008--four years now. Whether you agree or disagree with any or all of the above, it's time to stop acting shocked and/or using excessive punctuation whenever something doesn't go precisely the way you'd prefer it had. This is the way things are, and this is how they've been for 4-7 years. It's long since past time when anyone can feign surprise over anything about the series.

Put succinctly: deal with it.
                                ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope I answered your questions and didn't offend

And it's always great to see another Star Wars fan on our little sub-forum here, so I do hope you'll stick around!

Comment

Working...
                                X