The cityship wasn't Atlantis...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mister Oragahn View Post
    It took off from a glorified snowy plateau barely big enough to host a village, as far as a I recall.

Here's a story of disapointment:

We learn that the Alterans are from another galaxy. Woah. Why did they move?
    A war with the "Ori".
    Imagination goes rampant. The Ori are ascended beings, but not limited with pesky rules of non interference. They rule a whole galaxy.
    Dang. I have to see that.

They must be ruling an empire of medieval pawns covering many planets, with mighty outdated cities all over the place, and plenty of Ori temples, full of gadgetery.
    They must have the ability to built ships in many numbers... on many planets, using all those powers to assemble them effortlessly.

What we see? The Ori empire is nothing more than something like three villages, at best, and we're not even sure that all of them are on different planets anymore.
    I expect some massive cities, or huge ruins, anything big you know, the leftover from the clash of two great civilizations which have been travelling through their galaxy and beyond.
    Nope, one city, Celestis, and nothing else. Not many fancy things to see there.

As for the ships, well, beyond one valley visibly used to build ships by using primitive structures, there's nothing else to see. We got, what? a total of twelve ori ships?

Ah, of course, I thought the Alterans departed from that galaxy. Oh, that must have been a great exodus. But no. Sorry, we later learn that they left the galaxy in one ship.
    One frakin' ship.
    Uh.

OK, nevermind! It must have been a glorious ship. Something big, fantastic... of course, considering how Atlantis was a letdown (notably when you compare what we got to what was initially explored), my hopes weren't so high.
    Still, I expect something like a worldship, with all Alterans from many planets docking inside that big ass ship, and leaving.

Comes AOT. Nope, it's just another sub Atlantis tug. Yeepee.

Oh but wait, at least that village they departed from... was just one village among many, on another planet!

No. That village is just a chain mountain away from Celestis. So basically, all that great stuff about a formidable conflict of values, opinions and technology, was nothing more than two ******* villages slinging crap at each other.

There are many other things to list, most of them being about what the staff could have added to the Ori lore (we had a thread about what the Ori could have been given) but no, the Ori is just a story about one village with six towers or so grandiloquently called Celestis like if it was anything massive, and that's all.
    Yeah, it is kinda lame. The Alterans were COMPLETELY PEACEFUL. The Ori, on the other hand, were prepared to kill them. The Alterans left in a village ship. Celestis, probably constructed long after the Alterans left, was more so the Ori version of Kheb.
    Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
    encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
    3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
    4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
    5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Oragahn View Post
      Spoiler:
      It took off from a glorified snowy plateau barely big enough to host a village, as far as a I recall.

Here's a story of disapointment:

We learn that the Alterans are from another galaxy. Woah. Why did they move?
      A war with the "Ori".
      Imagination goes rampant. The Ori are ascended beings, but not limited with pesky rules of non interference. They rule a whole galaxy.
      Dang. I have to see that.

They must be ruling an empire of medieval pawns covering many planets, with mighty outdated cities all over the place, and plenty of Ori temples, full of gadgetery.
      They must have the ability to built ships in many numbers... on many planets, using all those powers to assemble them effortlessly.

What we see? The Ori empire is nothing more than something like three villages, at best, and we're not even sure that all of them are on different planets anymore.
      I expect some massive cities, or huge ruins, anything big you know, the leftover from the clash of two great civilizations which have been travelling through their galaxy and beyond.
      Nope, one city, Celestis, and nothing else. Not many fancy things to see there.

As for the ships, well, beyond one valley visibly used to build ships by using primitive structures, there's nothing else to see. We got, what? a total of twelve ori ships?

Ah, of course, I thought the Alterans departed from that galaxy. Oh, that must have been a great exodus. But no. Sorry, we later learn that they left the galaxy in one ship.
      One frakin' ship.
      Uh.

OK, nevermind! It must have been a glorious ship. Something big, fantastic... of course, considering how Atlantis was a letdown (notably when you compare what we got to what was initially explored), my hopes weren't so high.
      Still, I expect something like a worldship, with all Alterans from many planets docking inside that big ass ship, and leaving.

Comes AOT. Nope, it's just another sub Atlantis tug. Yeepee.

Oh but wait, at least that village they departed from... was just one village among many, on another planet!

No. That village is just a chain mountain away from Celestis. So basically, all that great stuff about a formidable conflict of values, opinions and technology, was nothing more than two ******* villages slinging crap at each other.

There are many other things to list, most of them being about what the staff could have added to the Ori lore (we had a thread about what the Ori could have been given) but no, the Ori is just a story about one village with six towers or so grandiloquently called Celestis like if it was anything massive, and that's all.
      I don't want to sound insulting but it sounds more like you wanted to see a documentary about the Ori galaxy instead of a story.

They can't waste time showing every Prior in every village of the Ori Galaxy during the montage because it would just take forever and be a huge waste of time. It's kinda like the montage of Order 66 in RotS. Just because they didn't show every Jedi being killed doesn't mean it was just the 5 they did show.
      || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

Originally posted by Shan Bruce Lee View Post
        I don't want to sound insulting but it sounds more like you wanted to see a documentary about the Ori galaxy instead of a story.

They can't waste time showing every Prior in every village of the Ori Galaxy during the montage because it would just take forever and be a huge waste of time. It's kinda like the montage of Order 66 in RotS. Just because they didn't show every Jedi being killed doesn't mean it was just the 5 they did show.

Don't worry he complains about everything. I respect people's opinions but I can't remember the last time I read he liked something.
        Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
        "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
        Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by g.o.d View Post
          It wasn't Atlantis. It was only a betaversion of Atlantis.
          perhaps the nerdiest thing I heard this week

Comment

I don't want to sound insulting but it sounds more like you wanted to see a documentary about the Ori galaxy instead of a story .
            I would like to see that. It would more interesting than AoT.

why not? Insteadof National Geographic, they could have made a scene when we saw Ori cities (when they weren't ascended) in flashbacks
            Stolen Kosovo
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DeRoest View Post
              perhaps the nerdiest thing I heard this week
              what do you mean?
              Stolen Kosovo
              sigpic

Comment

what do you mean?
                I'm as confused as you. That was a valid point you made an it also is true.
                Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

No, it's just that everytime they had an occasion to make things big and incredible, they just downplayed the elements.
                  AoT is just an incredible waste of potential and money. It's sad they can make such crap so quickly. It took Trek quite some time before making crappy films.

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
                  Don't worry he complains about everything. I respect people's opinions but I can't remember the last time I read he liked something.
                  You don't stalk me enough I'm afraid.
                  The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

what do you mean?
                    I think what DeRoest meant in saying it was "nerdy" is that well, it was pretty nerdy.

Perhaps DeRoest is thinking along the lines of software releases. Which is where I'm sure you got the idea of refering to it as a "betaversion of Atlantis" it's along the same lines.

I don't think that it was meant as an insult however. If it was, I'll help with form up the lynchin' mob.

Comment

Originally posted by kirmit View Post
                      I think most of us knew it wasn't Atlantis considering it was built here in the milkyway as their last hope of fleeing the plague after they'd fled their home galaxy.
                      Why would they build a city ship to escape a plague? It seems counterproductive considering your goal should be to get out there as quickly as possible and not to be weighed down by a length construction of something grander than anything that has ever been done. If they didn't have Atlantis it would be far more reasonable to simply take any ships you do have and build the city once you reach your destination. Any supplies can be carried off in those ships and if you really badly needed more than they could carry to get yourself set up with a city ship, then you could've gotten everything together on Earth, like they would've had to do in the first place, and instead of building the city just leave everything in a pile and come back for it via the Stargate with a ZPM in hand so you can transport it all back.

Don't get me wrong, I've always thought Atlantis was either built on Earth or somewhere else in the Milky Way, but it seemed to me simply that during the time of the plague they moved the city after hearing about the plaque for fear that it would eventually come to them if they remained. Meanwhile, Ancient cities are rather fragile and with 5-10 million years of just sitting in out in the open, unshielded and without people to maintain it, it makes sense that we wouldn't find any others in the Milky Way.

Comment

Working...
                      X