No announcement yet.

"The Witcher" franchise discussion/appreciation thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It looks really good especially as most of it was shot in Hungary.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Netflix released season 1 the other day, anyone else watching? I've had this on for most of today, just started episode 6. It's....a bit all over the map.

Spoiler:
      Episode 1 was kind of an uninspired pilot episode. I wasn't sure whether I'd continue when I finished, but decided to continue anyway because you could tell there was promise.

Episode 2 was fantastic, exactly what I was hoping for from this show.

Episode 3 was okay, a bit monster-of-the-week but then with an absolutely stellar last 10 minutes or so.

Episode 4 was a mess. It was like they inexplicably suddenly decided they wanted to do a Westworld 'aren't we clever we were doing multiple timelines!' thing, it was confusing as hell and it felt extremely unearned.

Episode 5 felt like it could've been the season finale, but there are still three episodes to go.

Still there's a lot of potential here, and the production values are quite good. At this point, I feel like I would definitely come back for a second season. At the very least, Henry Cavill and Anya Chalotra are excellent in this.
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post

Netflix released season 1 the other day, anyone else watching? I've had this on for most of today, just started episode 6. It's....a bit all over the map.

Spoiler:
        Episode 1 was kind of an uninspired pilot episode. I wasn't sure whether I'd continue when I finished, but decided to continue anyway because you could tell there was promise.

Episode 2 was fantastic, exactly what I was hoping for from this show.

Episode 3 was okay, a bit monster-of-the-week but then with an absolutely stellar last 10 minutes or so.

Episode 4 was a mess. It was like they inexplicably suddenly decided they wanted to do a Westworld 'aren't we clever we were doing multiple timelines!' thing, it was confusing as hell and it felt extremely unearned.

Episode 5 felt like it could've been the season finale, but there are still three episodes to go.

Still there's a lot of potential here, and the production values are quite good. At this point, I feel like I would definitely come back for a second season. At the very least, Henry Cavill and Anya Chalotra are excellent in this.
        Loving it so far. Have one episode to go. Episode 7 is when all the timelines converge and it’ll likely make a lot more sense. But all in all this feels to me like Discovery season 1. It’s far more about the origins of the characters than actually telling the story.
        Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Yeah I finished it a bit later yesterday. I still think that whoever structured the season arc needs to go back to scriptwriting school, because good god.

But I still enjoyed it, and will be back for season 2.
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
            Yeah I finished it a bit later yesterday. I still think that whoever structured the season arc needs to go back to scriptwriting school, because good god.

But I still enjoyed it, and will be back for season 2.
            I actually really enjoyed the structure. It may have been not obvious right away that they were different timelines but I liked that. Like I didn't realise that was what they were doing in the first episode. But I liked it as an ah-ha moment later. That being said I do think it is a issue that could have been solved with a little bit if stylistic editing to give a bit more of a nod when you were in the past.

Comment

I loved the series and man did Henry Cavill nail Geralt's character or what? He was exceptional. I thought the timeline was a cool idea but like P90 said I think the way in which it was presented came off a bit awkward or clunky. My biggest issue was with the casting for Triss. All in all can't wait for S2.
              Originally posted by jelgate
              This brings much pain but SQ is right

Comment

I have been a fan of the Witcher since I played Witcher 2. Since when I have brought some of the books and watched the Netflix series and of course Witcher 3.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrely1 View Post
                  I loved the series and man did Henry Cavill nail Geralt's character or what? He was exceptional. I thought the timeline was a cool idea but like P90 said I think the way in which it was presented came off a bit awkward or clunky. My biggest issue was with the casting for Triss. All in all can't wait for S2.
                  I'm willing to hold my opinion on Triss. I don't think we've seen enough of her to judge. I just really hope that they make her hair red at some point. It's truly my only real complaint with the series.

Comment

Finally caught up with this in the lockdown. Glad I knew about the multiple timelines going in but still got a bit lost. Enjoyed it, was having a discussion with a friend and we were trying to work out when it was set. I played Witcher 2 a while ago so was familiar with some of the characters, but man they nailed the casting of Geralt!

Comment

Finally was able to watch season 1 of the tv series. I enjoyed it greatly. My husband looked at me like I was nuts. Don't know if it will keep his attention for season 2 or not. I did say don't listen to the it's like Game of Thrones. So don't expect it.

I have finished the first and second game. The 3rd game I don't want to end so I'm going to admit that I have playing it slowly. I'm almost to the point where I will be into the DLCs. Bought all the novels. So working on those.
                      Orphan Black: Join the Clone Club Dance Party!

Comment

Comment

I'm rewatching season 1 because it's been too long. So glad the show is coming back finally! Need my Witcher fix. Finished Witcher 3 The Wild Hunt. Still getting through the books though. I was able to watch The Hexer, a polish Witcher show that aired in the 2000s. Only 13 episodes but it was pretty good! Some of the translation for the subtitles to English was way off.
                          Orphan Black: Join the Clone Club Dance Party!

Comment

Pretty good season 2, cant wait for season 3! Would definately recommend re-watching season 1 to remember who everyone is and all thei allegiances haha

Comment

Working...
                            X