No announcement yet.

Hive Ship Vs Battlestar Pegasus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Wraith do not win because of numbers, since the Darts can be dealt with by the point defense stations en masse, and Darts need to come very close to their targets in general. I've yet to see them attack at more than 100-200 meters effectively, and I think I'm being generous here. Sure, the target will be massive, but even against space ships, Darts tend to get very close.

The Wraith will win because their ship is massive, covered with armour that has been seen capable of dealing with at least two digits megaton nukes and nearly shrug, as such it can take a lot of fire, and is filled with energy weapons capable of nuke yields and can fire them rapidly.

They can only lose if the lower amount of Vipers and Raptors carry nukes and, for some reason, manage to sneak one inside a hiveship at a critical point. But that would require knowing the insides of a hiveship and have good sensors to scan it as a whole from a good distance, which they don't, battleships and fighters combined.

They'd need to cross fingers and rely on dumb luck to jump inside one of a hiveship's vast hangar bays.
    The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Hive ship would pwnzor a battlestar hands down.
      Hive ship energy weapons would rip the battlestar apart in a few shots.
      While as weve seen railguns are rather inefective in a long term battle against hives, and the missiles would be taken out by suicide darts. all in all, the battlestar is no match for a hive ship, and IMO, nothing in BSG is

-DH

Sig by Draygon.

Comment

I say Pegasus would have a chance.
        it would fight like a carier (no one in stargate does this) stay out of wepons range load up the vipers with nukes and off you go vipers are better than darts a frign light machine gun can down darts
        That's a good point. And if the nukes were launched into the hive ship when the armor was open... By the way, is a kiloton more than a megaton?

And what about the Original Series Pegasus? Hmm?

Comment

Warhead range from:

Smallest
          Kiloton-
          Megaton-
          Gigaton-
          Teraton-
          Biggest

Comment

Vipers are verry good fighters they reglarly hold teir own outmumbered 552 (bastars airwing to 120 tops on early on galactica had only 40) and cylon raiders are better than darts hands down so much so its not even funny.

I agree if the writh got in wepons range pegasus would go down in minutes few but kamakasi dart wouldnt pass the flack barier

It would become a fighter battle and its certainly wouldnt be one sided we nee t know how many darts a hive can feild i reon the vipers could reasonably acheive a 10 to 1 kill ratio the darts would be no match + the raptor missile picket about 20 raptors x 10 missiles each tha would certaily blunt the frst wave.

Also pegasus is way more mobile than a hive it FTL is better int can roll to protect a damaget side doubling surviability.

The weakness of stargate races is they are all plain stupid the smartest race in terms of ship battles is the travlers but they would be novces in BSG all they do is make a fight vertical to increase their speed advantage fire at the same ship at the same time and ambush people (shepard) the lucien alliance ar probly the next smartes the rest are all idiots

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWmw1u2to5M

Currently recruiting new staff

Comment

Originally posted by jnadreth View Post
              Warhead range from:

Smallest
              Kiloton-
              Megaton-
              Gigaton-
              Teraton-
              Biggest
              Also note that each one of those levels is 1000 times more powerful than the one preceeding it. So 1 megaton is equal to 1000 kilotons for example.

Pegasus standard weapons likely don't even reach into the kiloton levels of energy. They're giant rocket driven railgun slugs but they don't have nuclear warheads.

Nukes in BSG can range anywhere from kilotons to megatons. So Peggy's nuclear missiles would fall somewhere in that range. I'm inclinded toward megatons myself since they're fairly large missiles and Adama was threatening to use some of the ones he off loaded to Galactica to destroy a continent or something to that effect in that episode with the shrine. Now granted to literally destroy an entire continent you'll need a lot more than that even but the Cylons dropped 50 megaton bombs on Caprica so I don't see any reason why the biggest colonial nukes won't at least be on par with that. We also know that in BSG nuke hits are generally a fairly big deal. The Pegasus has survived a few of them in the past but no more than an handful and nukes are regarded as such an exceptional concern that there's special detection sensors to detect them in advance.

The hive on the other hand has taken hits from nukes that were probably in the low gigaton range. I'm talking about the nuke in no mans land here that hit it on the outside. Now nobody ever stated a yeild for them but since we know that the SGC could already build 1 gigaton goa'uld busters in SG-1 season 1 and the small mines Everett brought with him in siege were each worth 1.2 gigatons it's hard to find a reason why the nukes they equipped the Daedalus with would be any weaker than those. There was an episode where the Daedalus used a 26 megaton nuke but that was to cause the Ori gate to redirect and McKay was already concerned that even 26 megatons would possibly blow the gate up.

Since hives can survive hits from gigaton level nukes and they can destroy each other then that suggests that their own weapons are likely in the mid to high megaton or low gigaton range per shot as well, depending on how powerful you think the Daedalus nuke might have been. Even if you use the 26 megaton number you still end up with a hive that can rapid fire pulses of probably about 5-10 megatons a peice. Even that's more than enough to wreck the Pegasus in fairly short order.

Add into that the fact that it's unlikely that the hives darts will have any trouble intercepting a missile from the Pegasus, since in general they don't seem much faster than the ones fired from the Daedalus and the hive is likely to pull it's darts on defense once it sees how quickly Pegasus' point defense can shred them. The vipers could likely clear a hole through the dart screen given enough time but that's just the problem. They don't have the time. Once the hive gets in range of the pegasus it'll be crippled or destroyed in moments and since the hive is almost certainly faster there's no way for the Pegasus to keep away from it short of an ftl jump which again takes time.

The only way I see the hive going down in this is if they try to cripple and board the pegasus to feed on the crew rather than just destroy it. In that case they're going to get a nasty surprise to the tune of several thousand humans with actual effective weapons and in that melee somebody might manage to get a nuke onto the hive if they board ship to ship, or just set one off on the Pegasus, taking the hive with it.

Cain will also scare the hivequeen.

Comment

Pegasus manuvers alot better than a hive see it in exodus 2 a hive has never come close to that a hive is probly faster in a straiight line but no BS comander is that stupid they would stay way out of range

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWmw1u2to5M

Currently recruiting new staff

Comment

And I shall repeat, what about the Original Series Pegasus?

Comment

Originally posted by eps200 View Post
                    I agree if the writh got in wepons range pegasus would go down in minutes few but kamakasi dart wouldnt pass the flack barier
                    Not really. remember early in season 1... that cylon transport made it through the flak barrier.

It would become a fighter battle and its certainly wouldnt be one sided we nee t know how many darts a hive can feild i reon the vipers could reasonably acheive a 10 to 1 kill ratio the darts would be no match + the raptor missile picket about 20 raptors x 10 missiles each tha would certaily blunt the frst wave.
                    I would say upwards of 300... Just from what we have seen on screen of them emptying out the dart bays.

As to staying out of range,, what is the effective range of the wraith hives lazers?

Comment

Don't forget this tactic: Draw the Darts away by having Pegasus fake an FTL failure and bugger off at sublight. Then have a Raptor jump in close and fire nukes into
                      the Hive's interior.

Comment

It's not a fair fight. Not only does the Pegasus need all sorts of fancy tactics but one mistake and it's dead. A Hive ship on the other hand, doesn't really need to do much. It can just launch the darts and start blasting the Pegasus, there's room for plenty of errors. All the Hive needs is one or two direct hits and the Pegasus is dead.

Comment

We don't know that for sure. The Pegasus only actually blew up when it executed a suicide ram. And why does everyone ignore my question about, what if it was the ORIGINAL SERIES PEGASUS?

Comment

What about Pegasus vs Pegasus, that'll be a one-sided fight.

Comment

I think that Lee Adama in command, the Pegasus would be in with chance, also you need to have Starbuck as the CAG. The Viper Mk IIs would be good againt the darts but the Viper Mk VII's would abosolutly massacre them IMO at any rate. The Pegasus' Flak Barrier is alot more effect then either the Dedalus or Hive.

Heres what I would do.

Jump in beyond weapons range with Pegasus.
                              Launch the Vipers.
                              Draw darts away.
                              Jump a Marine Strike Team in a Raptor to board and plant several nukes in the dart bays. Also, after the Marines are out, also jump in several nuke armed raptors to launch at close range and then jump away.
                              Recall Vipers under heavy flak cover.
                              Jump Away.

What you all reckon??

Comment

Originally posted by Buba uognarf View Post
                                Having all those things won't really help against a ship 11km long with a hull able to resist naquadah enhanced nukes and energy weapons stronger than any weapon in Pegasus's arsenal.

A hive would rip it apart. I can't see anything in the BSG universe that I know of withstanding several direct hits from a Hive before being destroyed.
                                Anyone who watches BSG knows that they actually pay attention to a little thing called tactics. For instance in the battle of the Resurrection Ship, the Pegasus and Galactica jump into point blank range of the Cylon Basestars so that their guns can tear the Basestars to shreds. And since the Battlestars use flak to suppress enemy fighters, I don't see why the Pegasus couldn't jump a few kilometres from the Hive, establish a perimeter with its flak, then launch several nukes. With no Darts to intercept them, and a relatively short distance to go, I think that the Hive would be taken out.

If you pay attention to the Last Man, the Phoenix drops out of hyperspace, travels several kilometres toward the Hives before opening fire and destroying one, and is already past the other and entering Hyperspace by the time the second Hive starts firing.

The Hive's hull doesn't really resist nukes. We crippled a Hive in No Man's Land by scoring only one direct hit with a nuclear weapon. That's the only time that I can recall us ever successfully hitting a Hive with a nuke without beaming one aboard or using the Jumper. If you recall Rodney saying in No Man's Land that there were so many systems messed up on the Hive that he couldn't find anything to overload, that was thanks to the Daedalus' one hit with a nuke.

So I don't doubt that despite their lower yield, a few direct hits with nukes would still cripple a Hive, if not destroy it.

Let's not forget folks, the Pegasus took 3 direct hits to its hull from nuclear explosions and despite being damaged, still held off the Cylons and managed to jump away several minutes later, AFTER withstanding 3 nuclear detonations and missile bombardment from the Basestars.

It's true that the Hive's weapons would make short work of the Pegasus' hull though, especially given their high rate of fire. Using the FTL they would have to jump a few km's from the Hive, launch their Vipers immediately while establishing a flak perimeter, and use the Vipers to keep Darts away from the nukes while they travelled to the Hive.

I don't think that it would be as clear cut as every one thinks. Pegasus' ability to keep the Darts out of the nuke's path, plus their superior pilots and dozens of large railguns pounding away at the Hive, I think it would be a close fight.

Comment

Working...
                                X