• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    I thought it was.
    think again, you must

Comment

Originally posted by maneth View Post
      Could you give some examples on what you don't allow your 12-year-old or 15-year-old to read?
      Jean M. Auell wouldn't make the cut. Honestly, I don't remember half the books that I would have and have declined.

At one time my friend was leading a teen book club, and assigned 1984. My oldest (15 yo at the time)read it, and informed me there was lots of sex in it. I then let my friend know. This is a bunch of Catholic homeschooling kids, mind you, so she was very thankful for than particular information.

Right now, my 15 yo hates anything with kissing, let alone sex-- one less thing for me to worry about. They usually give me a heads up just to let me know. I am not as attentive to keeping watch with the younger kids as I was with the older kids just because I am tired.

Comment

Originally posted by maneth View Post
        Could you give some examples on what you don't allow your 12-year-old or 15-year-old to read?
        Prince/King/emperor of thorns trilogy. Awesome books.

Comment

Originally posted by SoulReaver View Post
          think again, you must
          She's not wrong.
          sigpic
          ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
          A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
          The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by BethHG View Post
            Jean M. Auell wouldn't make the cut. Honestly, I don't remember half the books that I would have and have declined.

At one time my friend was leading a teen book club, and assigned 1984. My oldest (15 yo at the time)read it, and informed me there was lots of sex in it. I then let my friend know. This is a bunch of Catholic homeschooling kids, mind you, so she was very thankful for than particular information.

Right now, my 15 yo hates anything with kissing, let alone sex-- one less thing for me to worry about. They usually give me a heads up just to let me know. I am not as attentive to keeping watch with the younger kids as I was with the older kids just because I am tired.
            If you want a SINGLE book, try "Eyes of the Dragon" by Stephen King.
            He wrote it for his daughter who wanted a "non scary" book by dad, and while it does have death, betrayal and poisonings, it is a book about hope, that the bad people will have to pay up in the end.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
              If you want a SINGLE book, try "Eyes of the Dragon" by Stephen King.
              He wrote it for his daughter who wanted a "non scary" book by dad, and while it does have death, betrayal and poisonings, it is a book about hope, that the bad people will have to pay up in the end.
              I will keep that in mind, thanks!

Comment

I will keep that in mind, thanks!
                I'll look at my bookshelf, I have plenty of "teen authors" in it.
                Rick Riordan and Cassandra Clarke take up a bunch of space, as does Margret Weiss and Tracy Hickman (dragonlance).
                Wilbur Smith's Egyptian series with Tatia, (more Adult).
                Mary Stewarts Series on King Arthur is really good as well.

Guy gavriel Kay wrote another Arthurian legend with the Fionavar tapestry.
                I could go on...……...
                sigpic

Comment

I have read some Guy Gavriel Kay and Rick. Riordan. Have you ever tried the Ranger's Apprentice series by John Flanagan? We all have liked that one, and my 15 yo and I have gotten into The Brotherband Chronicles as well.
                  Last edited by BethHG; 17 July 2018, 11:27 AM. Reason: Wanted to add something

Comment

I have read some Guy Gavriel Kay and Rick. Riordan. Have you ever tried the Ranger's Apprentice series by John Flanagan? We all have liked that one, and my 15 yo and I have gotten into The Brotherband Chronicles as well.
                    Never read the "ranger" series, but I am aware of it.
                    Skullduggery Pleasant also takes up some room
                    sigpic

Comment

I think I was into Shakespeare at 15... yup, was working my way through all the classics. The Illiad by Homerus -- epic.

Wilbur Smith and Thea Beckman (but her books aren't translated into English, except for Crusade In Jeans, I think). Historic fiction was my thing, and a little bit of Sophie's World. And good times when I read Stephen Hawking's Brief Time of History.
                      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                        I think I was into Shakespeare at 15... yup, was working my way through all the classics. The Illiad by Homerus -- epic.

Wilbur Smith and Thea Beckman (but her books aren't translated into English, except for Crusade In Jeans, I think). Historic fiction was my thing, and a little bit of Sophie's World. And good times when I read Stephen Hawking's Brief Time of History.
                        Mrs GF HATES teaching Shakespeare, but I liked it as a kid.
                        sigpic

Comment

GF is a good representation of Prince Hamlet. The worse part of Shakespeare was trying to understand old English
                          Originally posted by aretood2
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

I would never tell anyone to get to a nunnery though
                            sigpic

Comment

What kind of books, more adult fit literature or more also books appropriate for children?

I do know a series or two but they are not for children and only for adults who do not mind things getting a bit rough here and there

Comment

Actually, I was thinking adult, but I am open for kid books as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X