No announcement yet.

Revolution (NBC) : News/Speculation/General Discussion SPOILERS S2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Try watching the show, and then come back to give your opinion. The way you fumble the names of major characters suggest you've not watched the same show that I have.
    Originally posted by Zombies Rise from the Sea View Post
    Chained Heat
    Spoiler:
    Since this is a complex series with a complex mythology, there are a lot of things that have to be established, things such as the characters, premise and the world at hand and watching the pilot, some of that stuff is established but there's a whole lot more stuff to establish, henceforth, this episode can be seen as a continuation of the pilot; except it has more of a coherent plot.

The theme of this episode could be the winds the change and the attempts to break past the norm. Danny with his loner status, Charlie with her uncertain, worrisome nature and Rachel with her pictures of the past being confronted with the help she is provided, the willingness she goes to in light of her new views and the sense of hope that is given by another guy. It is certainly interesting how they look into all three, the type of stuff that they hint at with Danny in regards to his position and behavior and Charlie with her flashbacks that contrast the troubling situation of her past life with that of her situation at hand. They utilize it in almost impressive ways, showing the types of situations that justify their decisions, implementing those situations in both a plot and a character-wise way... It gives off a deepness that makes the plot something more, makes these characters almost engaging as they go about and grow within the winds; as Charlie faces off with a guy having to make the eventual choice, as Danny reluctantly accepts the help, as Rachel becomes hopeful of her situation, they prove dynamic in nature and show that they're serious about their characters.

Unfortunately, the acting behind the characters doesn't match up with the stories themselves. Much of what they do has to be reflected by many things; looks, words, reactions, the occasional off-beat action. When you see a guy breaking his neck and you want to utilize that to reflect some portion of the character, you have to actually look the part, reflect what the character is feeling and the characters here can't seem to do that, more often or not failing to sell the illusion of the world. Charlie in particular fails the most, this is supposed to be a character who's overly protected, surrounded by loss and wants to prove her worth yet she can't show any kind of emotion or impact; to her, disappointment equates a blank look, one that doesn't provide a window into her soul and anger equates to making her voice louder while throwing her voice off somewhat... She detracts from every scene when she attempts to act and it turns people away from her character, away from her story which is the better part of her character; in fact her younger self in the flashbacks manages to act better than her older self as she manages to show the kind of innocence, soul, emotion and character that she herself lacks in the future. I know, I'm surprised...

Just another day for the Militia.

Another theme is the expansion of the world that consist of this show, full of moral possibilities and immense depth throughout. It's impressive as to what is provided in terms of life, the various bazaars that they roam through filled with people roaming around, buying stuff while a religious nut shouts out stuff, the various bars that they go into are filled with the people playing games, almost seeming casual in nature... Though the Militia may seem like the evil empire from Star Wars you can see how their presence has an influence on life; their laws, their rules, their almost dominating presence, it makes us think about the militia and their ways, their various sociological structures and behind-the-scenes routines and it makes those thoughts have impact, more so than the actual reveals themselves. (although it is nice to see their routines, the way they deal with those who break the law, the way they take care of their dead...) These types of things are a trademark of J.J. Abrams series and this episode does a nice job at establishing that, showing that there's more to this show than just a rehashing of Star Wars but without electricity.

Certain flaws do dilute this theme though, for instance; we've been told that there's been a riot, that there's a situation for survival but ask yourself this, if you'd stumbled upon a grassy field with a brown circle in the middle, who would you assume did it; someone else or aliens? At this point in time we want to see how bad the situation is, I can understand budgetary concerns but this just takes weight out of the stuff said and further hurts it's premise. Every word has to have weight in order to be believable, they have to actually seem like these people are being controlled by a bunch of oddball rules, that there's a black market the likes of which we have never seen; if they can't have weight then where does it leave us? There are many chances to separate this world from the others, just to divert criticism and make more of it; granted it's the second episode but introducing "Rebels" isn't helping. Their talks about hope and freedom immediately reflect upon the Rebel Alliance and their hopes to overthrow the evil empire; while they do include some sophistication in there, it doesn't help to deflect comparisons. Additionally, the need to push out the mystery dilutes the immense depth throughout; we get that the blackout could be man made, we get that we can stop it; if the Writers don't have faith in us then what's the point in creating a complex mythology?

Their version of life.

The logistics of the series also interferes in many of what they're trying to do. There are many examples here, Rachel's emotional plot about her iPhone, Charlie's brother with the Milita...; in the case of the two they throw away common sense just to fit in the subtexts of the plot. The Milita makes many stops along the way despite the fact that there are chances for him to escape, Rachel explains that her iPhone contains every picture of their kids despite the options she had at the time; common sense would dictate many things like not stopping and saving your photos and it is those things that take people out of the plots, Rachel's struggle in remembering her kids, Charlie's brother uncertainty and fear in the hands of the militia; it's admirable in the amount of character that they try to provide but no one should be thinking about how those pictures would of been lost if anything happened to the iPhone and no one should be thinking about how many stops they're making. Additionally, they shouldn't have to try to cram in distracting, flashy, contradictory and unnecessary fight scenes The show should focus more on the characters than the action, it just throws everything off whenever they include them; the seeming lack of finesse, the perception of the characters... I want to like the show not question it.

This episode does expand further on the premise of the show, getting about the stuff the pilot didn't have a chance to do and it's slightly better than the pilot but it's also the same as the pilot as well. This episode does reaffirm one thing, that the various backstories, the various concepts, the various intricacies are more interesting than the actual results themselves. A good idea is one thing, it can span out for many miles and allow for many paths to be taken but there has to be people who are capable of exploiting that idea, people who can step up to the plate and satisfy demands; otherwise it's just an idea. The people here are incapable of exploiting that idea and as a result, we're left with an episode that's known more for it's possibilities than it's content.

2.5/10

Comment

So thus far, I have not had a problem with Charlie. I think she acts exactly as she should as a completely unexperienced teen trying to run around save her brother from these trained militiamen. Not to mention all the loss she has recently experienced.

The one and only problem I had was on the train. When she burst down the door to save her brother she charged Neville with a knife. Why not use the crossbow on your back??
      Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.
      ---
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AtlantisRules!!! View Post
        Why not use the crossbow on your back??
        Maybe she was afraid of accidentally hitting her brother, who was fighting Neville hand-to-hand. *shrugs*

Considering the ongoing dislike of Charlie here, I thought I'd ask: Has anyone noticed that Miles has his own share of whiny, self-pitying moods? Frankly, I don't think Charlie's all that much worse than Miles in this department, and Charlie has a boat-load of fresh, raw reasons for her behavior. Charlie and Miles seem to be a tag team.

Still enjoying the show.

Comment

Originally posted by Brother Freyr View Post
          Maybe she was afraid of accidentally hitting her brother, who was fighting Neville hand-to-hand. *shrugs*

Considering the ongoing dislike of Charlie here, I thought I'd ask: Has anyone noticed that Miles has his own share of whiny, self-pitying moods? Frankly, I don't think Charlie's all that much worse than Miles in this department, and Charlie has a boat-load of fresh, raw reasons for her behavior. Charlie and Miles seem to be a tag team.

Still enjoying the show.
          Have you noticed the amount of Miles/Charlie fan fiction that started? Staying away from that.

Miles definitely has this "I'm a loner" monkey on his back. When he should just get off his high horse.

Also, his line about training [spoiler]the militia and creating all their techniques and protocols[/spoilers] makes them unbeatable because he's just perfect is a load of garbage.

Comment

A lot(probably most actually) of my dislike for Charlie has to do with the actress' performance, especially in the more emotional scenes. But also, when Miles is being self-pitying or a harsh, he's treated like he's being a jerk by the other characters. When Charlie is being whiny, self-pitying, or is putting others in danger with her actions, and she's confronted(usually by Miles); that's treated like Miles is again, just being a jerk, and not because Charlie is whiny, self-pitying or in anyway wrong in her behavior.

I enjoy the show a lot, and actually missed that it wasn't on this week lol.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VampyreWraith View Post
              A lot(probably most actually) of my dislike for Charlie has to do with the actress' performance, especially in the more emotional scenes. But also, when Miles is being self-pitying or a harsh, he's treated like he's being a jerk by the other characters. When Charlie is being whiny, self-pitying, or is putting others in danger with her actions, and she's confronted(usually by Miles); that's treated like Miles is again, just being a jerk, and not because Charlie is whiny, self-pitying or in anyway wrong in her behavior.

I enjoy the show a lot, and actually missed that it wasn't on this week lol.
              Here's the thing, you can't accept every characters actions. Sometimes you just don't like a character because you don't like see people act that way.

Whether it's some people on this board that hate seeing manipulative characters "get away" with it or whatever. That doesn't mean the character or show is wrong, it just means you personally have an issue with people like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrja84 View Post
                Here's the thing, you can't accept every characters actions. Sometimes you just don't like a character because you don't like see people act that way.

Whether it's some people on this board that hate seeing manipulative characters "get away" with it or whatever. That doesn't mean the character or show is wrong, it just means you personally have an issue with people like that.
                I know that I don't have to accept a character's actions all the time, and a show can do what ever it wants, but that doesn't mean I have to like it/agree with it either. Anyway, I don't have an issue with Charlie type characters in general (I do sometimes prefer darker, more ambiguous characters, but not always); I have an issue with Charlie, and most of that is because of the actress' performance. I have a hard time finding the character sympathetic, because I don't find the performance convincing/appealing.
                sigpic

Comment

I know that I don't have to accept a character's actions all the time, and a show can do what ever it wants, but that doesn't mean I have to like it/agree with it either. Anyway, I don't have an issue with Charlie type characters in general (I do sometimes prefer darker, more ambiguous characters, but not always); I have an issue with Charlie, and most of that is because of the actress' performance. I have a hard time finding the character sympathetic, because I don't find the performance convincing/appealing.
                  You do know that she is meant to portray the character is portraying right? Its not a mistake, its what she was hired to do.

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
                    You do know that she is meant to portray the character is portraying right? Its not a mistake, its what she was hired to do.
                    Yes. You do know that not all actors have the same amount of experience or skill level, right?
                    The character is supposed to be young, compassionate, and kind of idealistic(I don't mind that I don't want the character to turn into a stone-cold killer/hardened warrior or anything). I understand that. I also understand that she lost her family
                    Spoiler:
                    (father's dead, her mother left and is thought dead, her brother's been kidnapped)
                    , so she feels abandoned and alone. I just don't like the way the actress plays Charlie at times. I think she overacts(especially during the more emotional scenes), and towards the end of the latest episode(5),
                    Spoiler:
                    when she was trying to act tough and in-charge, it felt so forced that it found it funny(though that might have been the writing for that scene that just made it seem forced, and not her acting)
                    I could go describe exactly what I don't like about the actress' preformance, but it might sound a bit mean(and she's bound to get better as time goes on). Even though I don't particularly like the character all that much, I don't hate her. I think she's fine when she's not all emotional and demanding. I even like her at times.

Anyway, I'm not going to change my mind about the character(or the actress' performance) right now. I might like her more after the next episode. After all, I like her a lot better now than I did when the show first started.

About the next episode(6)(based on what I've seen in the promos):
                    Spoiler:
                    I really hope Charlie doesn't end up having to sleep with that sleazy guy in order to save Nora. She probably won't... I hope anyway.
                    Last edited by VampyreWraith; 25 October 2012, 07:02 PM.
                    sigpic

Comment

towards the end of the latest episode(5),
                      Spoiler:
                      when she was trying to act tough and in-charge, it felt so forced that it found it funny
                      Yeah, that was uncomfortable. It drew attention to itself & jolted me out of the fictional world.

Spoiler:
                      I really hope Charlie doesn't end up having to sleep with that sleazy guy in order to save Nora. She probably won't... I hope anyway.
                      I doubt it, considering the showrunners seem to be aiming for a (relatively) family-friendly Hunger-Games vibe. Sure, there's killing, but that's not nearly as taboo for a USA "family" show as sex is. Weird and somewhat disturbing if one stops to think about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Brother Freyr View Post
                        I doubt it, considering the showrunners seem to be aiming for a (relatively) family-friendly Hunger-Games vibe. Sure, there's killing, but that's not nearly as taboo for a USA "family" show as sex is. Weird and somewhat disturbing if one stops to think about it.
                        Spoiler:
                        That's true, and it wouldn't even be sex, it would be rape, so I don't think think they'll go there. She'll probably be saved just in time, if anything. I know they definitely won't show anything explicit. I let my 12 yr old son watch. He loves the show, and Charlie is his favorite character, so I'm hoping that nothing too bad happens.
                        Last edited by VampyreWraith; 25 October 2012, 08:42 PM. Reason: added spoiler tags just in case
                        sigpic

Comment

Yes. You do know that not all actors have the same amount of experience or skill level, right?
                          The character is supposed to be young, compassionate, and kind of idealistic(I don't mind that I don't want the character to turn into a stone-cold killer/hardened warrior or anything). I understand that. I also understand that she lost her family
                          Spoiler:
                          (father's dead, her mother left and is thought dead, her brother's been kidnapped)
                          , so she feels abandoned and alone. I just don't like the way the actress plays Charlie at times. I think she overacts(especially during the more emotional scenes), and towards the end of the latest episode(5),
                          Spoiler:
                          when she was trying to act tough and in-charge, it felt so forced that it found it funny(though that might have been the writing for that scene that just made it seem forced, and not her acting)
                          I could go describe exactly what I don't like about the actress' preformance, but it might sound a bit mean(and she's bound to get better as time goes on). Even though I don't particularly like the character all that much, I don't hate her. I think she's fine when she's not all emotional and demanding. I even like her at times.

Anyway, I'm not going to change my mind about the character(or the actress' performance) right now. I might like her more after the next episode. After all, I like her a lot better now than I did when the show first started.

Spoiler:
                          If she is meant to portray a person who is upset at the world and upset at the people around her, then she is doing a very GOOD job at this as that is what you are feeling. I have seen people become upset at a shoe with too much white on them (i actually have) and so being upset at a **** of an uncle would not make you happy and get along with everyone. We have seen her change so much over 5 episodes and i feel that the next will see her taking things to a new level.

People on facebook seem to hate her but then again...you know, its facebook. People who complain on there must know th they're whiny complaints will fall on deaf ears, NBC (and others) have people who set up and maintain facebook/twitter and have nothing to do with the show at all. She is not going anywhere so people need to either get over her or move on.

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
                            If she is meant to portray a person who is upset at the world and upset at the people around her, then she is doing a very GOOD job at this as that is what you are feeling. I have seen people become upset at a shoe with too much white on them (i actually have) and so being upset at a **** of an uncle would not make you happy and get along with everyone. We have seen her change so much over 5 episodes and i feel that the next will see her taking things to a new level.

People on facebook seem to hate her but then again...you know, its facebook. People who complain on there must know th they're whiny complaints will fall on deaf ears, NBC (and others) have people who set up and maintain facebook/twitter and have nothing to do with the show at all. She is not going anywhere so people need to either get over her or move on.
                            I've never looked at the show's facebook page, so I don't know what people on there are saying about Charlie. If you like the character and the actress(and have liked her from the start), that's great. You can like whatever you want; other people don't have to feel the same though. When I post my thoughts or feelings about Charlie, any of the other characters, or about things that happen on the show; I'm just stating my opinion(obviously). I don't expect anything to come of it(I don't expect network people to read what I say and change things to suit me lol).
                            I don't think she's awful, and I know she's not going anywhere; I personally don't want her to(it really wouldn't make any sense for her it die or be written out right now). Sometimes it just takes a bit for the actors to get used to their character; and for the writers to get used to writing for the actors playing the characters.
                            sigpic

Comment

I think she'd be a better character if most of the other characters didn't act like she can do no wrong. Miles is the only one that tells her off, but that's treated like a bad thing on the show. Charlie always ends up in the right at the end since she's the moral center/heroine or whatever; it's annoying.
                              That is true. You would think with all she has been through and ACTUALLY asking 'uncle dearest' to help out, she would be more apt to do what she is told... Unless there is some angle they are trying to go with.

Agreed. Either he is a bad guy for being a butt head to charlie, or he is a bad guy for being a jerk wallowing in what he made... The PTB need to get off the 'charlie good' angle'. Otherwise i will be done with the show... though i do admit i missed the 6th ep (where they went to that house to get the chick healed, and charlie had to do that 'strip' for the main baddie from the previews i saw).. So i don't know if that changed the equation any.

And as to whether she 'does have to give it up to save the other girl, or gets rescued... I actualy hope she DOES not get saved.. and does have to perform... Might show her ass some humility.

Comment

well i just watched the latest episode and IMHO it is the worst one yet (!)

what i hated most though was the son (Danny) just hugging his "dead" mother instead of questioning her first or telling her of for leaving (i sure would have...sorry, maybe i am just emotionally "dead" but forgiveness is something to be earned for me and not granted just because it is possible - even more so in a situation i would feel betrayed/stabbed in the back (like a relative i thought dead turning up alive))

the rest of the episode was so "filler" like, because the main story did not advance much...i mean nothing really important happened, like monroe getting one of those pendants or some other person having one showing up etc.

well, hope next episode is better.

greetings LAX

Comment

Working...
                                X