Fanfic Pet Peeves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lets see.

Skydiver knows most of these i'm sure. But lets post anyway. Nicely I promise.

Cross-overs. Not the little ones like NCIS/SG, that kinda stuff I can deal with. But when you start mixing stuff like BSG, Star Trek and other stuff where the very concept stops the shows being compatible, then it gets to me. Also i'm into the science side of sci-fi. So when I see 2 shows with conflicting science trying to be blended into one it annoys me.

Badly written characters too, like has been said when you try to ship something that doesn't exist in the show. Oh and rewritting the shows history to suit your story. So many times i've seen people who either ignore certain plot points, or actually try and write whole massive stories based on guesses in the plots.

A friend of mine in real life is really bad for this. He doesn't visit gateworld but either way he knows what i'm talking about and has accepted the critisism so don't mod me *hides under rock* but he wrote a fiction where mckay had a kid. And not some estranged kid, an honest to god, hangs out with all the time kid. That don't fly!

Comment

the thing is esquin, mcckay having a kid could work. Heck, i've written fic where sam has kept jolinar. directly contradicts canon, but it works in the context of that story.

I have no issue with 'what if' fic. It's called alternate universe and can be a lot of fun.
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

You have to read it to understand what I mean. Just trust me, it didn't work on any level. He tried to keep the character the same as he was about end season 2. And that really just doesn't allow for him to want to have a child in his life.

What if's are great but this was just a little different you know. When you write a what if you need to also write the effects of that what if, not just the what if element.

Comment

there are some AU's that are jsut silly, but some that work.

things that make my skin crawl

jack serenading sam under her window
          sam bursting into tears in the gateroom if something happens to jack

are two of the big ones

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
            there are some AU's that are jsut silly, but some that work.

things that make my skin crawl

jack serenading sam under her window
            sam bursting into tears in the gateroom if something happens to jack

are two of the big ones
            Why Sky, just because it's Jack? She already did that for Martouf in Divide and Conquer!

Comment

it's one thing to cry after you kill someone you care abuot, it's another to collapse to the floor and burst into hysterical tears because jack didn't come back through the gate.

sigpic

Comment

it's one thing to cry after you kill someone you care abuot, it's another to collapse to the floor and burst into hysterical tears because jack didn't come back through the gate.
                Now you're exaggerating Sam's not like that! You'll see in Continuum

Comment

I really hate it, when the summary seems so interesting and cool and you start to read it and the story itself is just dissapointing. There's 1 author atm that tends to do that imo and sometimes I give her stories a chance, cause it sounds so good .... but alas.
                  sigpic

Comment

Hmm....

Plots that aren't... you open up a story and it's one big sex scene. BORING!
                    Summaries that begin with "I can't writ summaries." Ooh, can't spell either. Sigh. NEXT!

Opening up a story that isn't properly marked. You're going along and suddenly, Sheppard and McKay are tearing each other clothes off. Sigh, please, mark .. it ... slash. (Sorry, this kind of fanfic isn't my cup of tea)

Point of view vertigo. As someone else mentioned, suddenly, the POV changes from say Shep to McKay and you're wondering, wait, who's doing/saying/thinking what???

Character assassination. Okay, you don't like character A, but don't turn him/her into a total ***hole to make your favorite character look better. Unless you can work along something like the SG-1 "Shades of Gray" where Jack was a jerk to everyone but he was undercover...

Comment

ROTFLOL reading some of the posts here!! Almost could not keep my breakfast in. I *love* this thread!

In addition to everything already listed, I also do not like fics that have SG1 swearing/cursing in almost every sentence. I understand it being necessary sometimes, but it shouldn't be a fact of life for them, like drinking coffee or eating a meal.

Comment

'real' officers, yeah, people do swear. But, if you're a subordinant and you're seeing your boss curse like a sailor, it doesn't quite instill confidence.

for me, curse words should punctuate the sentence, not be all that there is of the sentence

sigpic

Comment

I think I have to agree that it's not necessarily the actions or situations that make for a bad story, but how the author writes it.

Ok, I just couldn't help it honestly, after the conversation in the Sam Fic thread, and the comments here about situations that make you shudder because of how ridiculous they seem.

Discussions Over Fondue Rated PG-13/T for launguage.

Short little one shot. The guys talk over Fondue. I even managed to make Jack have tears in his eyes....

(hides)
                          sigpic

Some people have a way with words. Others not have way.

http://www.fanfiction.net/~iamdragonrider

Comment

Originally posted by iamdragonrider View Post
                            I think I have to agree that it's not necessarily the actions or situations that make for a bad story, but how the author writes it.

Ok, I just couldn't help it honestly, after the conversation in the Sam Fic thread, and the comments here about situations that make you shudder because of how ridiculous they seem.

Discussions Over Fondue Rated PG-13/T for launguage.

Short little one shot. The guys talk over Fondue. I even managed to make Jack have tears in his eyes....

(hides)

Loved it!

Comment

sometimes, when you write stuff deliberately 'bad' it's called 'crack!fic'

such as this
                              http://www.jackfic.net/emeraldcity/c...naswooness.htm

sigpic

Comment

sometimes, when you write stuff deliberately 'bad' it's called 'crack!fic'

such as this
                                http://www.jackfic.net/emeraldcity/c...naswooness.htm
                                I had attempted this before, but loathed it - yeah that bad. Now that I knew it was written that way intentionally, it was quite funny! Epecially the last part. LOL!

Comment

Working...
                                X