Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So far, what do you think about DM? (SPOILERS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Janet Fraiser View Post
    Then... there's One. I hope his story, if the cliff hanger is anything to go by, gets more interesting, because I'm not sure I'm ready to buy this naive and sometimes stuttering do-gooder as the main protagonist.

I mean, I know it's a group, but... "One"?

Oh, I was happy to see that Torri Higginson was still alive. Wish she had more than one scene, but I'll take what I can get.
    I think One has the most future potential. He's the clean boy, the nice guy. But we also know he's a murderer and a criminal. an interesting combination. All in all, i think he's the Con man of the group, the talker.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
      I think One has the most future potential. He's the clean boy, the nice guy. But we also know he's a murderer and a criminal. an interesting combination. All in all, i think he's the Con man of the group, the talker.
      Actually, we don't "know" anything about them. We know what was in the database, but whether that was accurate or not ??

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
        Actually, we don't "know" anything about them. We know what was in the database, but whether that was accurate or not ??
        Actually it could be accurate and misleading at the same time. I dont know how many Sci-fi Series are out there with the Heroes having a criminal record just for doing the right thing.
        Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
        Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald
        There was Fuzzy no more Wuzzy

Comment

I really hope he turns out to be a more interesting character than he is. Call me cynical, but I'm just not into the vibe I'm getting from him as a John Sheppard-like charmer with Daniel Jackson tendencies who looks like he's being groomed as the star of the show. I'd be fine if he was the last to wake up, but the fact that he's first is what irks me.

Anyway, the ending to the last episode was an interesting turn of events. I hope he does turn out to be the calculating, smooth talker you mentioned.

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
          Originally posted by tomstone View Post
          Actually it could be accurate and misleading at the same time. I dont know how many Sci-fi Series are out there with the Heroes having a criminal record just for doing the right thing.
          I agree. As soon as we found out they were criminals, I assumed that it was misleading. I'm surprised they just took that at face value, honestly.
          rest easy now

sigpic

everything will be all right

// tumblr //

Comment

So you believe those data files the android recovered then?

Comment

I am not yet sure. I like the plot, the characters don't seem bad either. I enjoyed the first 3 episodes except for one thing:

I seriously disliked the battle in Episode 2. It was terribly staged in my opinion. Like they shoot "enemys" who look like that have been standing behind them for like 5 minutes without fireing a shot. Or... well there is a huge troop of armored soldiers... what do These People do? all come out of their cover (the first Encounter between the miners and the soldiers).

Comment

Already loving this show! I cannot stand all the rest of SYFYs current pretentious crap shows. More of this please!!

Comment

So far I cannot get into it. The affects, gun battles etc. are just too badly done. The ships are too weird. Looks like a hacked up Destiny.

They are keeping to a limited budget and it shows.

Comment

As Sci Fi fans, we have to accept that well done effects are expensive, and that we won't see them. That doesn't have to mean that we can't enjoy the story being told.

The FTL effects look cheesy as heck to me. Sorta like a sideways Millenium Falcon. Doesn't detract from my enjoyment of the show. The longest running Sci Fi franchise in history, Doctor Who has never had more than bargain basement effects. Still one of the best sci fi shows ever.

Comment

As long as they get to interact with outside forces (starbases, corporations, ...), it may get more interesting. But if the main focus of the show will be the 'drama and intrigue' between the characters on the ship, I'm not sure I'll enjoy it much. (Funnily that's the opposite situation from SGU, there I was generally more content with Destiny-based episodes.)
                      So far I struggled to believe the more serious, dramatic aspects of the show. But as soon as they diverted my attention with comedic scenes and some world-building (4th episode, specifically), I enjoyed the show far more.

As far as VFX go, I think Dark Matter has ones of the best. But they're very dark, rather realistic and colorless, which is what may irk a lot of people. (They come off as a little bland in that regard.)

Comment

I'm not quite sure yet. I don't love it,but I don't hate it either. It seems a little disappointing to me. It's kind of generic. Two things bother me about Dark Matter. First, is this idea that they have to cater to what they consider to be a "Young" crowd. I'm by no means old,but it seems that a wide spectrum should be represented. It tries to hard to be hip and edgy. Secondly, there's not much concept. This is more like a lower type of sci-fi. It takes place in space and has cool tech. The Stargate franchise was so much better. There was high concept, science,good characters. This is why it earned the position of being one of the best science fiction series on television. When I compare Stargate and Dark Matter, it's hard to believe that the same people are involved with the two. Sci-Fi can be fun and exciting as well as conceptual. Look at Star Trek as another example. I'm kind of losing hope in sci- fi tv programming.

Comment

Originally posted by d.jackson View Post
                          First, is this idea that they have to cater to what they consider to be a "Young" crowd. I'm by no means old,but it seems that a wide spectrum should be represented. It tries to hard to be hip and edgy.
                          The forces of the universe say differently. They have to target a market which satisfies advertisers. Advertisers prefer to attempt to sell to young skulls full of mush who hop onto every fad wagon that comes down the pike, rather than older, more experienced consumers who have seen most of it before.
                          Surly old curmudgeons like myself have pretty much decided what we need and have either acquired it already or realized that it is forever out of our reach for whatever reason.
                          It is very hard to sell something to someone like me, so the advertisers want the easier targets, the youngsters.

Comment

I'm kind of losing hope in sci- fi tv programming.
                            With the recent Syfy years we've hit an all-time low for sure, but that doesn't mean we'll never have anything brilliant again....

Comment

I haven't given up on sci-fi programming, although I'm close to giving up on Syfy programming.

Comment

I'm not quite sure yet. I don't love it,but I don't hate it either. It seems a little disappointing to me. It's kind of generic. Two things bother me about Dark Matter. First, is this idea that they have to cater to what they consider to be a "Young" crowd. I'm by no means old,but it seems that a wide spectrum should be represented. It tries to hard to be hip and edgy. Secondly, there's not much concept. This is more like a lower type of sci-fi. It takes place in space and has cool tech. The Stargate franchise was so much better. There was high concept, science,good characters. This is why it earned the position of being one of the best science fiction series on television. When I compare Stargate and Dark Matter, it's hard to believe that the same people are involved with the two. Sci-Fi can be fun and exciting as well as conceptual. Look at Star Trek as another example. I'm kind of losing hope in sci- fi tv programming.
                                That's my opinion of it as well. Shows like Star Trek, Stargate and even Outer Limits had hi-concepts sci-fi. Each episodes were like a movie by themselves. Dark Matter do some explorations but there was even more in Stargate. It was fun wondering how the characters would react to different situations. Still I enjoy Dark Matter quite a bit. I also enjoy 12 Monkeys. Not every sci-fi shows must be hi-concept/intelligent shows like Star Trek, Stargate (or even Outer Limits, Doctor Who), but it would be good to have a few shows like those too. Sci-fi started as way to explore our current realities, cultures, dilemma through the future. Action Sci-fi summer blockbuster came later on.
                                Last edited by Commander Zelix; 11 July 2015, 04:31 PM.
                                Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

Working...
                                X