This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
    Don't forget the gerrymandering. Why does everyone forget the gerrymandering?
    Because both sides do it, so on the whole it's a wash?

Really, the Dems are just as egregious as the Rep's with this, but the only time you ever hear about it is when it favors the Reps.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
      Because both sides do it, so on the whole it's a wash?

Really, the Dems are just as egregious as the Rep's with this, but the only time you ever hear about it is when it favors the Reps.
      Any actual evidence to back that up or are you simply basing it on one NY district again?
      By Nolamom
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
        Any actual evidence to back that up or are you simply basing it on one NY district again?
        Well, there's this: How Maryland Democrats pulled off their aggressive gerrymander

And this: New Jersey Democrats are threatening to undermine their state’s democracy

I'm not in favor of partisan gerrymandering. But it's going to happen. The way it is now, whichever party runs the state draws the lines based on the census. The reason you hear so much whining from the Democrats is that they have not been winning states as much as they would like so they've been shut out of the process recently. It's perfectly fine when it works in their favor, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
          Eh?
          This makes no sense.
          It's the teachers, but it's the system, but it's not fair on the teachers, so blame the system, but if I blame the teachers, there is less blowback on me, the person who created the system.
          You people are nuts.
          Convoluted arguments to dissipate responsibility.
          "it wasn't MY fault, just the fault of the people I VOTED IN TO POWER"
          Yeah, I get that logic...………..
          no, the professors are not the problem when it comes to the cost of education

i thought i was pretty clear in stating it is the institution's bureaucracy and all of the non teaching staff that gets the higher pay with boat loads of money going to things like landscaping

i created no systems, but, err, thanks for the credit

Comment

this is the political discussion thread right? not the american political discussion thread?

do none of the non Americans here have any stones to cast within in their own nations?

i really love how all of you just jump right onto the 'bash america' with never a mention of all the mess in your own countries

granted we have some big issues here, always will no matter of the Pres is Trump or Obama or who the F ever

and, whenever I have brought up issues (not here) about another nation and some of the practices there I get stuff like 'oh, that is just some people no one really knows" or some other excuse for the bad behavior

like Australian issues with--just 3 of my head- growing govt authoritarianism, issues with immigrants and refugees (they get shipped off to some south sea hell hole) and the govt's official policy on eradicating cats

america is not the only nation with issues, major issues, stop pretending it is

Comment

But her emails!

I do cast a lot of stone at my nation (stressed a few times how bad Canada did on its climate change engagements and had an argument with GF about AUS's very strict immigration policy) but somehow the puck keeps finding its way into a MAGA arena.

We need fresh blood but some of us are scary I guess "WOULD you stop barking Jel! GF stop throwing molotovs at the dogs!"
              Spoiler:
              I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Originally posted by magi877 View Post
                this is the political discussion thread right? not the american political discussion thread?

do none of the non Americans here have any stones to cast within in their own nations?

i really love how all of you just jump right onto the 'bash america' with never a mention of all the mess in your own countries

granted we have some big issues here, always will no matter of the Pres is Trump or Obama or who the F ever

and, whenever I have brought up issues (not here) about another nation and some of the practices there I get stuff like 'oh, that is just some people no one really knows" or some other excuse for the bad behavior

like Australian issues with--just 3 of my head- growing govt authoritarianism, issues with immigrants and refugees (they get shipped off to some south sea hell hole) and the govt's official policy on eradicating cats

This is the thread for ALL politics not just Americans and their country.
                Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

I expect Annoyed is to blame
                  Originally posted by aretood2
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
                    But her emails!

I do cast a lot of stone at my nation (stressed a few times how bad Canada did on its climate change engagements and had an argument with GF about AUS's very strict immigration policy) but somehow the puck keeps finding its way into a MAGA arena.

We need fresh blood but some of us are scary I guess "WOULD you stop barking Jel! GF stop throwing molotovs at the dogs!"
                    Molitov's are fun.
                    sigpic
                    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by magi877 View Post

GF ? I think it was offered an explanation that US politics dominate because we are a superpower and our actions influence the world as a whole more than those of Australia or Canada for example.

Just based on recent election results in AU., I think GF strongly disagrees with the lion's share of the people living there. Their flavor of conservatives just pulled an upset of Trumpian proportions at the polls. GF can't be happy with that, and he has said in the past he disagrees with AU's immigration policies. (I rather wish we would adopt at least some of them)

What is this about cats now?

Comment

GF ? I think it was offered an explanation that US politics dominate because we are a superpower and our actions influence the world as a whole more than those of Australia or Canada for example.
                        Pretty much.
                        Just based on recent election results in AU., I think GF strongly disagrees with the lion's share of the people living there. Their flavor of conservatives just pulled an upset of Trumpian proportions at the polls. GF can't be happy with that, and he has said in the past he disagrees with AU's immigration policies. (I rather wish we would adopt at least some of them)
                        I am neither happy, nor unhappy with it. Liberal policies will continue to bring down the deficit, which is a good thing. At the same time, it will also damage the infrastructure by selling off even more assets in order to do that, which is not ok. It's a balancing act, and the very reason I have voted both liberal and labour. I'm not beholden to party mentality, it's corrosive.

As to the "conservative" issue, (which should not be confused with the liberal issue) That does not make me happy simply because that's where I really lean left. What I am seeing is the same repetition of the "moral majority" (and it's TEA party successor) which turned US politics far, far more partisan than it was before the rise of that wing of the republican party. I have said to you, many times before that were I an American, voting before that happened, chances are I would have voted republican.
                        Basically, morality should have -very- little to do with politics. It can exist within law to a limited degree, and really should live in the realm of society. Politics and law should be predominantly about -ethics-, and ethics and morality are not the same thing.
                        What is this about cats now?
                        Feral cat's do a significant amount damage to native animals.
                        sigpic
                        ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                        A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                        The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Did anyone see this?

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...olice-ice.html
                          Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
                            Slate is bellyaching over Trump's use of the National Emergencies Act. Funny thing is, that act has been in place since the mid-70's and has been used many times, by each president since its passing.

Their objection is simply because Trump is using it for an agenda they don't like.

As far as use of the Insurrection Act to repel invading hordes, the law clearly gives him the right to do so.

And I hope he does.

Comment

Their objection is simply because Trump is using it for an agenda they don't like.
                              Fixed. You're such a tool Annoyed, ready to discard the core values and principles of your country for a MAGA.
                              Spoiler:
                              I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
                                Fixed. You're such a tool Annoyed, ready to discard the core values and principles of your country for a MAGA.
                                Did you not understand that the emergency declaration is a perfectly lawful & legitimate tool, used multiple times by every president since its inception? The only difference is who is using it and for what purpose.

I agree 100% with the purpose the law is being used for. That's the only difference. It's a good law, being used as intended, but some folks don't like the purpose.

It's not the law, its the purpose it's being used for that generates the complaints.

Comment

Working...
                                X