Star Trek: Picard -- speculation/discussion/spoilers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
    I think Starfleet ships are meant to be pretty long-lived. The original Enterprise was 40 years old at the time it was set to be decommissioned in Star Trek III, for one. I seem to also remember hearing somewhere (though damned if I can remember where) that a Galaxy-class starship was meant to operate for 100 years, with periodic refits.
    though some might dispute whether the refits the original underwent still classifies it as the original Enterprise...and evidently when they built a refit Constitution class from scratch (the 1701-A) as opposed to simply refitting and upgrading an original Constitution-class spaceframe it didn't work very well at first if Scotty's comments from ST:V were anything to go by

also as far as the Borg being wiped out...don't know how they'd handle it in canon but in the non-canon novels they find out that the Borg nanoprobes resulted from corrupted Caeliar catoms and the Caeliar neutralize the corrupted catoms and thus neutralize the Borg....but perhaps they'll put this way of dealing with the Borg into the canon-verse

Comment

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
      though some might dispute whether the refits the original underwent still classifies it as the original Enterprise...and evidently when they built a refit Constitution class from scratch (the 1701-A) as opposed to simply refitting and upgrading an original Constitution-class spaceframe it didn't work very well at first if Scotty's comments from ST:V were anything to go by

also as far as the Borg being wiped out...don't know how they'd handle it in canon but in the non-canon novels they find out that the Borg nanoprobes resulted from corrupted Caeliar catoms and the Caeliar neutralize the corrupted catoms and thus neutralize the Borg....but perhaps they'll put this way of dealing with the Borg into the canon-verse
      Assuming it is a new ship. I stand by the idea that it was another Constitution renamed.
      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

I think Starfleet ships are meant to be pretty long-lived. The original Enterprise was 40 years old at the time it was set to be decommissioned in Star Trek III, for one. I seem to also remember hearing somewhere (though damned if I can remember where) that a Galaxy-class starship was meant to operate for 100 years, with periodic refits.
        There are still Miranda class vessels in operation some 100 years after rolling of the design table, so it's hardly a stretch to think galaxy and sovereign designs would have the same expected service life.
        sigpic
        ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
        A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
        The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
          Assuming it is a new ship. I stand by the idea that it was another Constitution renamed.
          Wasn’t it the USS Yorktown? Or was that only in the non-canon EU?
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I thought the Yorktown got blown in the battle of Wolf 359?
            sigpic
            ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
            A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
            The truth isn't the truth

Comment

It’s kind of non-canon in that there’s no reference to it in the shows and movies but it’s backed up in the Encycopaedia, TNG Tech Manual and the Star Trek fact files, having originally been suggested as the case by Rodenberry around the time of Star Trek IV and later Michael Okuda backed it up as his own belief. It’s also a nice little nod since Rodenberry’s earliest scripts for Trek were set on the Yorktown and not Enterprise. Also the Yorktown is mentioned in Star Trek IV itself as having been a ship that was damaged by the Whale Probe which may in itself help to explain why all its systems are crapped out by the time of Star Trek V.

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
              It’s not among the ships mentioned at 359 (in the shows anyway. Apparently there’s a comic where it was listed at 359 but that of course isn’t anywhere close to canon.) Otherwise it’d be a different Yorktown anyway. There is a reference to a USS Yorktown in TNG’s Measure of a Man. It’s on a list of ships shown on a computer screen and also a similar case in an episode of DS9. Either way it would be a modern Yorktown.

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                Which would kind of be neither here nor there, since Star Treks 4-6 were about 80 years before the Battle of Wolf 359
                "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

It’s kind of non-canon in that there’s no reference to it in the shows and movies but it’s backed up in the Encycopaedia, TNG Tech Manual and the Star Trek fact files, having originally been suggested as the case by Rodenberry around the time of Star Trek IV and later Michael Okuda backed it up as his own belief. It’s also a nice little nod since Rodenberry’s earliest scripts for Trek were set on the Yorktown and not Enterprise. Also the Yorktown is mentioned in Star Trek IV itself as having been a ship that was damaged by the Whale Probe which may in itself help to explain why all its systems are crapped out by the time of Star Trek V.
                  Right! I knew there was something to that effect, but the details weren't coming to me.

Comment

Kind of a tangent, but I was always disappointed that battle wasn't featured in TNG
                    Originally posted by aretood2
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

And once again, DS9 saves us all.

Comment

well Scotty's comment that it "must've been put together by monkeys" implies that it was built from scratch although the same comment could be applied to one that was re-christened too

for example "Mr. Scott's Guide To The Enterprise" has it as originally being the USS Ti-Ho being rechristened as the Enterprise-A and that the USS Ti-Ho was another testbed for transwarp technology....if the tests of transwarp didn't go as planned that could also explain why half the systems wouldn't work right at first when it got re-christened

Comment

As I recall, the USS Yorktown depicted in ST IV looked more like the Reliant that Khan hijacked in ST II, whatever class that ship was. So it wasn't even remotely a Constitution class vessel.

Also, the "Enterprise-A" in ST V's difficulties would seem to indicate a hastily constructed ship, as by that time, Starfleet had the bugs worked out of the basic design/redesign.

Comment

And once again, DS9 saves us all.
                            Praise be to the Prophets.

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
                            well Scotty's comment that it "must've been put together by monkeys" implies that it was built from scratch although the same comment could be applied to one that was re-christened too

for example "Mr. Scott's Guide To The Enterprise" has it as originally being the USS Ti-Ho being rechristened as the Enterprise-A and that the USS Ti-Ho was another testbed for transwarp technology....if the tests of transwarp didn't go as planned that could also explain why half the systems wouldn't work right at first when it got re-christened
                            Well that was their intent in the movie itself. They wrote it as though it was brand new ship. But given that This is the abomination of a film that was so bad it made Bill Shatner humble then I think we can disregard most of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
                              As I recall, the USS Yorktown depicted in ST IV looked more like the Reliant that Khan hijacked in ST II, whatever class that ship was. So it wasn't even remotely a Constitution class vessel.

Also, the "Enterprise-A" in ST V's difficulties would seem to indicate a hastily constructed ship, as by that time, Starfleet had the bugs worked out of the basic design/redesign.
                              No that was the USS Saratoga. You don’t see the Yorktown on screen. You just see the Captain on screen at Starfleet Command explaining that they had lost all power and were doing whatever they could to conserve it to keep life support running.

Theoretically whatever the crew were doing to stay alive could have messed up the ship’s power and computer systems in some way which led it to its issues.

Comment

It is now being reported that Brent Spiner may be reprising Data in some capacity. It could be limited to flashbacks or audio only though.

Comment

Working...
                                X