No announcement yet.

Star Trek: Picard -- speculation/discussion/spoilers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm just thinking...the voiceover says it was 15 years ago that he led the greatest rescue armada in history. I presume that's referring to the Hobus star's supernova in 2387, suggesting again that the show is closer to 20 years post-Nemesis than 20 years post-AGT.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Maybe now I'll finally find out if the Borg were wiped out after Endgame
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
        I'm just thinking...the voiceover says it was 15 years ago that he led the greatest rescue armada in history. I presume that's referring to the Hobus star's supernova in 2387, suggesting again that the show is closer to 20 years post-Nemesis than 20 years post-AGT.
        That's what I'm guessing as well. So that's going to make this show set sometime around 2402.

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
        Maybe now I'll finally find out if the Borg were wiped out after Endgame
        Very possibly.

What I'm hoping is that there will be absolutely zero interference from Q in this show.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
        K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

A lot of the Q episodes of TNG were pretty terrific. Q Who, Tapestry, and All Good Things were terrific reflective/contemplative stories, which by all accounts is what this show is shooting for.

That said....I'm not sure that Q would fit in on Star Trek as it exists on television at the moment. Even as Discovery is doing very 'science fiction' things, it stays pretty grounded in terms of characters.

I wouldn't be upset at some oblique references though, like having Picard nostalgically or inspirationally tell one of the younger cast members "someone once told me that the real journey is in exploring the infinite possibilities of the mind," or something like that.
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I thought this was common knowledge already? Stewart has always said that it was 20 years since he last wore the uniform to reflect a similar time frame in real life, meaning Nemesis but certain press outlets assumed he meant the end of TNG because they didn't take the movies into account. It'll put the show in 2399.
            Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
              I thought this was common knowledge already? Stewart has always said that it was 20 years since he last wore the uniform to reflect a similar time frame in real life, meaning Nemesis but certain press outlets assumed he meant the end of TNG because they didn't take the movies into account. It'll put the show in 2399.
              There's been some dispute. The original announcement (by Patrick Stewart at a con, IIRC) said '20 years since he last put on the uniform,' suggesting a 2400 timeframe. Then there was that later statement (I forget who by) that said or at least strongly implied that the show was going to be set 20 years post-TNG rather than post-Nemesis, implying a 2390 timeframe.

If the trailer is indeed referring to the Romulus rescue mission in 2387, and assuming the "15 years" line isn't just the trailer character narrator rounding (for example) 14 up or 16 down, that puts us in 2402 for Picard, like Alan noted above.

Just....no appearances from Admiral Janeway this time, please. For the love of god.

Comment

There's been some dispute. The original announcement (by Patrick Stewart at a con, IIRC) said '20 years since he last put on the uniform,' suggesting a 2400 timeframe. Then there was that later statement (I forget who by) that said or at least strongly implied that the show was going to be set 20 years post-TNG rather than post-Nemesis, implying a 2390 timeframe.

If the trailer is indeed referring to the Romulus rescue mission in 2387, and assuming the "15 years" line isn't just the trailer character narrator rounding (for example) 14 up or 16 down, that puts us in 2402 for Picard, like Alan noted above.

Just....no appearances from Admiral Janeway this time, please. For the love of god.
                Meh. I'd be cool with seeing more Janeway. But I'd rather she have her own thing.

I do hope we see the Enterprise in some capacity though. I mean if it follows the STO timeline it'll be a good ten years before the Enterprise F rolls off the production line, meaning that it should be the Enterprise E still. Just give it a brand new Captain and crew and have it showing its age.

Comment

Meh. I'd be cool with seeing more Janeway. But I'd rather she have her own thing.

I do hope we see the Enterprise in some capacity though. I mean if it follows the STO timeline it'll be a good ten years before the Enterprise F rolls off the production line, meaning that it should be the Enterprise E still. Just give it a brand new Captain and crew and have it showing its age.
                  some classes of Federation starships can be serviceable well into the Enterprise-J's timeline....for example I think you can see at least one Prometheus-class participating in the Battle of Procyon V against the Sphere Builders

Comment

When Daniels shows Archer the Battle of Procyon V you can also see a Nova-class and a Dauntless-class and even a presumably still allied Klingon Vor'Cha-class all participating in the battle so perhaps the Sovereign-class will still be serviceable well into the Federation's future....though it's possible that by that time Excelsior-class vessels may have far outlived their tactical usefulness and probably get relegated to the role of glorified transport vessels

Comment

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
                      When Daniels shows Archer the Battle of Procyon V you can also see a Nova-class and a Dauntless-class and even a presumably still allied Klingon Vor'Cha-class all participating in the battle so perhaps the Sovereign-class will still be serviceable well into the Federation's future....though it's possible that by that time Excelsior-class vessels may have far outlived their tactical usefulness and probably get relegated to the role of glorified transport vessels
                      Well... yes that’s my point. The Sovereign class will only be about 30 years old at the point of Picard so it’ll definitely still be in service. But there will almost certainly be ships more advanced now unless it is like from the TMP to TNG era where the Excelsior was seemingly still the top dog in the fleet until the Galaxy came along.

Comment

What about an Admiral Sisko?
                        Originally posted by aretood2
                        Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                          What about an Admiral Sisko?
                          Sisko may be more deserving of being an Admiral than Janeway but i’d Doubt he’d be happy as one.

Comment

Even if he’s done being a god, he wanted to retire to Bajor once the war was over.

Comment

Well... yes that’s my point. The Sovereign class will only be about 30 years old at the point of Picard so it’ll definitely still be in service. But there will almost certainly be ships more advanced now unless it is like from the TMP to TNG era where the Excelsior was seemingly still the top dog in the fleet until the Galaxy came along.
                              they did go through an intermediate step in design between Excelsior and Galaxy class though, that being the Ambassador-class....still looked mostly like an Excelsior-class variant but contained design elements that would be later used in the Galaxy-class but yeah Excelsiors and Ambassadors were the main workhorses of the Fleet even with Galaxies in the picture...with the Ambassadors and Galaxies being the latest designs to combat the growing threat from the Cardassian Union

Comment

I think Starfleet ships are meant to be pretty long-lived. The original Enterprise was 40 years old at the time it was set to be decommissioned in Star Trek III, for one. I seem to also remember hearing somewhere (though damned if I can remember where) that a Galaxy-class starship was meant to operate for 100 years, with periodic refits.

Comment

Working...
                                X