Fanfic Helpdesk: Technical and Scientific Help for Writers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
    That's what I'm going to try to find out.
    Good luck!
    Spoiler:
    I am off to get ready for pre-Easter dinner at my in-laws' house. Happy Easter!
    sigpic
    Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
    Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

Originally posted by mathpiglet View Post
      I'm not sure if this is the place for this question, but I'll give it a try.

In the Atlantis episode Before I Sleep Janus simply calls a ZPM a power device. Does anyone know if there is an accepted Ancient term for this device? Or should I invent one?
      Thanks for a laugh! Yeah, power source is kind of bland, but Crystal Tower of Power is too over the top! For now I'm going with 'potentiam' which is the Latin word for power.
      This question got kind of lost. Any ideas?
      Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

the ancients call it a potentia (Brotherhood)

Comment

I'm not sure if this is the place for this question, but I'll give it a try.

In the Atlantis episode Before I Sleep Janus simply calls a ZPM a power device. Does anyone know if there is an accepted Ancient term for this device? Or should I invent one?
          Thanks for a laugh! Yeah, power source is kind of bland, but Crystal Tower of Power is too over the top! For now I'm going with 'potentiam' which is the Latin word for power.
          Originally posted by thekillman View Post
          the ancients call it a potentia (Brotherhood)
          Thanks! My word was really close, but I'll use potentia!!!
          Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

Thank u SO MUCH for startin this thread. Goodness knows I could use this feedback from this thread's users. I'm much stronger at humanities/social sciences than engineering/natural sciences but love incorporating science and tech in my fanfics so will try n use ur thread to verify facts to make it as realistic as possible.
            If you're interested in reading my longest fanfic story, which is an action/adventure story involving the elusive Furlings (as well as if you want to read the others), please click the link below.
            [URL="http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6888222/1/Tauri_Furling_First_Contact_and_Alliance[/URL]

RIP Sep 2010 to beloved gateworld.net member and forum contributor Weedle, very skilled soldier with military special operations, a wonderful human being, and a friend to so many on gateworld. May we keep his memory close.

Comment

I'm glad you like it. May I make one suggestion? It's a lot easier to read and respond to someone's posts if they actually type words out completely instead of relying on textspeak like "n" and "ur". Trust me, you really are likely to get better responses around here if you do.

That said, welcome!

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
              Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
              sigpic
              now also appearing on DeviantArt
              Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

I'm glad you like it. May I make one suggestion? It's a lot easier to read and respond to someone's posts if they actually type words out completely instead of relying on textspeak like "n" and "ur". Trust me, you really are likely to get better responses around here if you do.

That said, welcome!
                I second this - if I have trouble understanding what you're writing I'm very likely to skip over the post entirely. (I don't understand chatspeak, nor will I spend time trying.) But I'm glad you've found the thread.
                Grammar / Spelling / Punctuation Discussion and Appreciation (questions welcome!) | Plot Bunny Adoption
                Fanfic Helpdesk: Technical and Scientific Help for Writers | Fanfic Pet Peeves | My Fanfiction (Abnormal Newt)

Comment

Hey, y'all. Anyone else besides myself and Feast watch Sanctuary? I have plot bunnies biting my ankles, but Henry is my go-to character, with Nikola right behind him. Unfortunately, these two are very technical-minded and I'm happy I can throw around words like "HTML" and "DDos". The story is in slooowww progress, as I have two or three unfinished fics in other fandoms (two SGA, one RH BBC), but when I get going, I'd like to rely on the techies for help.
                  sigpic
                  Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
                  Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

since i don't care about arrogance, i'd say i'm good at tech and science.

so blast it away. i love a good thinking exercise

Comment

Okay, so whats the meaning of the life, universe and everything else?
                      [''... I laugh at your reality..''][ STARGATE FAN COMIC: 'Hallowed Turf' ] [-DeviantArt-] [ ".... and a seagull."]

sigpic

Comment

Oh come on, everyone knows it's forty-two.

Or chocolate. Take your pick.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                        Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic
                        Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Originally posted by Choo1701 View Post
                          Okay, so whats the meaning of the life, universe and everything else?
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Or chocolate.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                            Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

Rodney? Rodney McKay? Is that you? LOL! Just kidding, TKM. I appreciate you volunteering. It may be a few weeks, possibly months, however, before I have specific questions. Just putting out a general call in case I need Sanctuary-specific tech help. For example, if Henry needs to re-boot security or something at the Sanctuary, maybe only in the SHU. What terms would he use to do that? In Hangover, he used a term I am unfamiliar with and will have to watch the ep again (oh, darn!) to remember what it was. But while I have all my lovely techies--what the hey is the ethernet? What's the difference between that and the internet? Keep it simple--remember, short bus to tech school! (Ok, I was truant more than present--) Oh, and are there terms that are different in Canada? I think Britain uses interweb instead of internet, for example.

Oh, and if you ran security systems for a cutting-edge facility that housed both dangerous and friendly abnormals (sentient non-humans) & had an unlimited budget & government backing/blessing, what would you expect to find in your office/lab/armory? What would you dream of having? I'm talking both offensive and defensive things--from computer systems to weapons, tracking devices, etc.

Same question to the medical people?
                              sigpic

Comment

Or chocolate.
                                Dark, rich chocolate, drizzled over ripe, red strawberries... Mmmm...
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X