This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
    I'd personally say...dude people in this world, country, are starving. If you're gonna donate money pick a charity. Pick a homeless person you pass on the street, give it to your neighbor who's having a hard time.

SGU is dead and done and over. The ship has sailed. Even if the franchise comes back they will not choose a version of it that just performed so poorly, it'll be rebooted with new characters, new scenarios, new everything.

this is just my PERSONAL opinion. I know of a couple of really, really good charities I'd donate to long before I'd try to revive a show.
    Sigh
    *Sends Sky a $20 Western Union Money Order.
    Panhandling is not a lost art..............

sigpic
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Doesn't charity really start after you try and save a long dead show that everyone has moved on from?
      Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

Originally posted by Deevil View Post
        Doesn't charity really start after you try and save a long dead show that everyone has moved on from?
        You want one too Deevil
        sigpic

Comment

Hello!

I don't see anything wrong with trying to find ways to save a show that has been cancelled. I am sure that there is much more that can happen in the Stargate Universe.

I know that in the past letters have been effective. I have to wonder what letters would do. I mean when most of everyone is texting, E-Mailing, and on the internet would getting a lot of physical mail help. I wonder.

I have also wondered if there was an effort by a fandom to raise money to fund lets say a season of a series. Stargate has fans all over the world. I have to think if there was a serious effort to get the majority of the fans to give different sums of money together if it would wake up the people at the top that the Stargate fandom was serious. It is sad to say but money is one of the most important things that the people at the top care about.

I have not finished Stargate Universe yet but I can not help but think that this series might just get more fans as time goes on. It is a very strong series.

Comment

That's a nice idea, but after thinking about it, the producers should just make a SG-1/Atlantis combo series and use it to finish any remaining SG-1 and Antlantis stories.
            And since they had a 3-year contract for the 3rd series (if I'm not mistaken), they should take advantage and call the combo series SGU. That way, we would see the Universe cast in the series with various characters from SG-1 and Atlantis appearing whenever the plot would require them to. This would be the perfect opportunity to test out the new series format (more serialized, etc.) before moving onto the existing SGU.

And if the raitings would still keep going down, the last two years would still give the producers the chance to finish off the series and maybe even do the remaining Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis movies. However, in case of the success, starting with existing SGU, the series would have the existing Stargate Universe cast appear in the series and starting with SGU season 3, we would get what we got in SGU S01 and with season 4, we would get what we got in SGU S02. In case of success, this would give the series a power boost for a 5th season, which would eventually save the series in case the raitings would have dropped like they did.

So in the end, the producers would have 2 stories/series completed (SG-1 > 10 seasons, 4 movies; Atlantis > 5 seasons, 1 movie, maybe 2) and still be able to finish off the 3rd series and make it last for 5 years like originally intended (which would end up being a 7 year run because of the 2 combo seasons in case of success). But if the new format and the new series would still fail, we would have the first two series completed anyway.

God, I hope the MGM folk change their mind and allow at least the Revolution and Extinction movies be made.

Comment

Okay, seriously, people think that the 'fans' - which are few not many - can raise *at least* $40mil?

Yeah, I think that does define delusional...
              Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Comment

Stargate may not come back and if it did it would be 10 years or more down the road(remakes or new material). Fans are not going to raise millions of dollars for a production. What I am hopefully for is independent comics, movies, and mini web series that can spawn from Kickstarter. Hopefully some more sci-fi material from people who care deeply for it.
                sigpic

Favorite quote:
                McKay: You shot me!
                Sheppard: Yes, Rodney, I shot you, and I said I was sorry.
                Ronon: You shot me, too.
                Sheppard: I’m sorry for shooting everyone!

Comment

Okay, seriously, people think that the 'fans' - which are few not many - can raise *at least* $40mil?

Yeah, I think that does define delusional...
                  Yup. As was said (by myself and some others, I think), the best that could be hoped for if anything 'crowd funded' will even be approved (and all potential legal barriers overcome lol), is something that ISN'T a new season of the show (e.g., smaller stuff like novels, audiobooks...something).

To date, I think the most funded kickstarter is still the same one (over 3 million USD). A far cry from 40 million.
                  (and, perhaps I'm being a bit of a pessimist here, but could they even expect to get even $500k in pledges for an SGU-based project? *shrugs* )
                  Just checked: 3.3 mil is still the most funded, followed by another game at 3 mil. Shadowrun Returns' a few thousand short of 1.5 mil. and it has a couple of days to go (making all 3 most funded projects video games, followed by an iPhone dock thingy and a comic book reprint?)
                  http://www.kickstarter.com/discover/...ed?ref=sidebar

Again, I'd support a petition/whatever (if someone were to make it etc. etc.) to get MGM/TPTB behind a crowd funded project (whether or not I'll shell out cash should something be started is another matter entirely...to date, I've only supported 2 projects, and will be doing so for a 3rd and maybe a 4th, because the 'rewards' were very interesting/appealing )
                  sigpic

Comment

Reading a few of the posts it feels like I have gone back in time to December 2010.

Comment

thing is folks, MGM holds the copyright. you can't do anything without running afoul of them

and IMHO, they will never let fans do anything because they want a clear copyright when/if they reboot it.
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

thing is folks, MGM holds the copyright. you can't do anything without running afoul of them

and IMHO, they will never let fans do anything because they want a clear copyright when/if they reboot it.
                        Who allowed reality in to this discussion
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                          Reality tends to...'seep in' when stuff like people's money comes into the discussion.

(on a 'positive' note: a project I'm following on kickstarter (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...dowrun-returns ) has exceeded 1.5 million...the next 'stretch goal' has been set to 1.75 mil. w/ less than 70 hours to go )
                          sigpic

Comment

Copyright really won't be affected if hey were to do something like this, it just wouldn't be worrh their time, money and legal costs to pursuit it because, no matter what folks seem to think, fans who are still around for SHU probably would be lucky to raise 10,000 IMO. It'll cost them more than that to deal with kickstarter.

I get that folks are still stuck firmly in denialland BUT, the show is over. I highly recommend experiencing the final stages of grief so one can move on.

Comment

I get that folks are still stuck firmly in denialland BUT, the show is over. I highly recommend experiencing the final stages of grief so one can move on.
                              As I see it, I don't see anything wrong w/ letting folks try. Maybe for them it'll be like closure, regardless of the magnitude of the project and whether the effort fails or succeeds.

I do agree, tho', that it may not be worth it money-wise, but, in the case of Kickstarter, if they don't meet the minimum goal for funding, they don't end up getting charged...and then, at least, they could say that 'they tried' (even if that means failing to secure permission/whatever for a crowd funded project)
                              Or something like that.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post

I interject reality into the discussion when I'm reading these consistent references to the website, and while no one has directly broken the rules by asking for money, it's too close for comfort. IMHO anyone 'donating' money to bringing back the show might as well take a match to the bills cause it's nothing but a scam.

Kickstarter might work in some cases but it won't in this one.
                                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X