No announcement yet.

The Torment of Tantalus (110)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is one of those episodes I don't understand the hype. I don't hate it but I don't love it. The part about the four races is interesting but I don't think it really gets good until later when it's developed. In all reality Ernest should have does years ago. I was more interested in the gate being dialed in the 1940s and the first time we manually dial. It's only a fair FH
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
      Didn't they (at some point) show the clip of the original 1928 raising of the gate? Because in that clip, she is very clearly not five years old (no younger than eight, and more like ten, I'd say).

Note: I've never seen the movie, and I know I've seen that clip, so it had to be in the show.

Seaboe
      I commented on this in an earlier post:

There's a little weirdness since they used movie footage in the teaser for Origins but promotional material isn't canon. For the latest Godzilla movie there was a poster with Godzilla towering over skyscrapers, which led to some people thinking that was how big he was going to be in the movie. Obviously, that didn't turn out to be the case.

They didn't have footage of Catherine as a child from the TV show and they couldn't shoot new footage so they used what they had to put together their initial promo. I wouldn't view that as an indication of intended canon.

Comment

Xaeden, I don't think we have the same canon. IMO, if they show it on the screen, it's canon. The fun comes from trying to reconcile what they show and say, and to make it all consistent. Never forgetting, of course, that this is only a TV show, and TPTB changed over time (as did their views of the characters and the show).

Seaboe
        If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Xaeden, I don't think we have the same canon. IMO, if they show it on the screen, it's canon. The fun comes from trying to reconcile what they show and say, and to make it all consistent. Never forgetting, of course, that this is only a TV show, and TPTB changed over time (as did their views of the characters and the show).

Seaboe
          Sure but on screen in-show and on screen in promotional materials are not and have never been the same. All sorts of problems come from conflating the two because promos have famously invoked non-cannonical materials, used materials that ended up cut from the final product, and been manipulated to present a contradicting narrative. Promos are rarely put together by or with consultation of a production's writers or director.

Comment

Unless the promotional materials are on the DVDs, then I've never seen them. I did not watch the show when it was on the air. I've only seen what is one the disks.

Seaboe
            If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Unless the promotional materials are on the DVDs, then I've never seen them. I did not watch the show when it was on the air. I've only seen what is one the disks.

Seaboe
              Hmm? We were talking about the teaser trailer for Origins with footage from the movie. I then mentioned problems with connecting promos to canon in general (meaning, industry wide). I don't get your response.
              Last edited by Xaeden; 07 November 2017, 10:57 AM.

Comment

I misunderstood what you were talking about. I was talking about her age in Torment (21, possibly) versus her age in the movie (about 10); footage from the movie must have appeared somewhere in the series as well, or I wouldn't have seen it.

Seaboe

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post

How would you rate SG-1's "The Torment of Tantalus?"

Excellent
                  Good
                  Fair
                  Poor
                  Terrible
                  This is one major plot story arc building episode. It is one that I enjoy more and more with every rewatch. In the words of Bill and Ted, this episode was "most excellent!"

Comment

I misunderstood what you were talking about. I was talking about her age in Torment (21, possibly) versus her age in the movie (about 10); footage from the movie must have appeared somewhere in the series as well, or I wouldn't have seen it.

Seaboe
                    You've never seen the movie?

Comment

Originally posted by Xaeden View Post
                      I'm confused by your response. How does what I said mean they're not following the TV timeline? The TV show said she was 21 in 1945. It never said or indicated how old she was in 1928. That's the movie's continuity that did that. Her being 15 in 1938 is consistent with the TV show's continuity.
                      No worries, I think I confused myself even more....
                      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Xaeden View Post
                        You've never seen the movie?
                        Correct. I don't intend to, either.

Seaboe

Comment

Correct. I don't intend to, either.

Seaboe
                          Have you at least seen a trailer? The beginning of the theatrical version shows the gate being pulled vertically and includes a quick shot of Catherine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mucMCddPy0

Comment

We re-enacted that scene with the gate being pulled upright, the first time we set up our replica gate. The other side, a group of Star Wars fanclub members had been mocking us (we had been struggling since it was the first time) and as we pulled it up, it suddenly became so very quiet and when we turned they were all staring at it wide-eyed and mouths slightly ajar.

+++

Quiz-time and jigsaw-time!

Quiz this way, and get your jiggy on with the puzzle for The Torment of Tantalus right here.
                            Last edited by Falcon Horus; 10 November 2017, 02:35 PM. Reason: Wrong jigsaw link!

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                              We re-enacted that scene with the gate being pulled upright, the first time we set up our replica gate. The other side, a group of Star Wars fanclub members had been mocking us (we had been struggling since it was the first time) and as we pulled it up, it suddenly became so very quiet and when we turned they were all staring at it wide-eyed and mouths slightly ajar.

+++

Quiz-time and jigsaw-time!

Quiz this way, and get your jiggy on with the puzzle for Thor's Hammer right here.
                              8 Minutes and 5 Seconds
                              By Nolamom
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
                                8 Minutes and 5 Seconds
                                Now try the right one... cause I forgot to change to link.

Comment

Working...
                                X