7 minutes 14 seconds. I made a mistake to give FH a chance to win
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

I'm sure to frak it up...
            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

This one was a bit of a change to the usual episodes, mostly set on Earth but outside the SGC. Nice as an occasional thing, and I like that they followed up on the Jaffa found at Antarctica.

The idea of a living Ancient is intriguing, and it was a good episode for Jonas.

At first, the storyline doesn't seem all that important, and definitely more like a stand-alone plot than part of the wider arc, but that's turned on its head at the end of the episode when Jack becomes a temporary host to a Tok'ra symbiote in order to survive the disease.

That's the kind of thing you wouldn't expect; one would anticipate that the Ancient would die healing them all, and that the ending would be that they had lost out on the knowledge that they could have gained from her.

While it had quite a lot to like about it, this episode didn't grab me in quite the same way as the others, so I'm going to rate it as Good.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX View Post
                At first, the storyline doesn't seem all that important, and definitely more like a stand-alone plot than part of the wider arc, but that's turned on its head at the end of the episode when Jack becomes a temporary host to a Tok'ra symbiote in order to survive the disease.
                The problem arises that the audience knows that the heroes never die, so whether Jack would have been healed was a sure thing. How was the question. The answer: a Tok'ra.

Comment

According to the various commentaries, they upgraded their equipment more than once.

Seaboe
                  If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                    7 minutes 14 seconds. I made a mistake to give FH a chance to win
                    Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                    I'm sure to frak it up...
                    Lo and behold...

...no, I'm kidding...

09:03

Nearly a full 2 minutes slower.

Comment

you don't like the episode? then just
                      "let it go"

get it? hehe

Comment

Originally posted by donald85 View Post
                        you don't like the episode? then just
                        "let it go"

get it? hehe

Comment

This is one of the episodes that brakes suspension of disbelief for me.
                          Assuming there is same there is same fossils record of human evolution in the Stargate universe as the real world how can Janet Fraiser say that humans potentially did not evolve on this earth? And Jack saying that Darwin was wrong?
                          I personally don't like that the Ancients are basically humans.
                          In fact I have developed a totally non-canon headcanon that the Alterans are descended from time traveling humans from earth back in time some + 50 millions of years ago across the galaxies.
                          Last edited by Ascended Jonas; 04 January 2020, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ascended Jonas View Post
                            This is one of the episodes that brakes suspension of disbelief for me.
                            Assuming there is same there is same fossils record of human evolution in the Stargate universe as the real world how can Janet Fraiser say that humans potentially did not evolve on this earth?
                            All she said in the line you're referencing is that it provided evidence that humans "evolved long before we thought they did," not that humans didn't also evolve on earth.

Later in the episode, Carter and Jonas have an exchange where they're speculating about how there could be a human who predated human evolution on earth, and it's treated as a given that humans evolved on earth:

CARTER
                            As far as we knew up until now, all human life in the galaxy was transplanted to other planets from Earth by the Goa'uld. Now, the odds of a totally alien life form evolving to look exactly like us are…are astronomical.

JONAS
                            Actually, if she's as old as we think she is, wouldn't it be us evolving to look like her?

CARTER
                            True.

What they're trying to figure out is how humans could have evolved on earth and also evolved elsewhere. This is clarified by Fraiser herself even later in the episode:

FRAISER
                            Yes. We think this woman might predate human evolution on Earth by 50 million years.

CARTER
                            Yeah, but that would put her behind us on the evolutionary timeline, not way ahead.

FRAISER
                            Unless…

CARTER
                            Unless…our evolution isn't the first time it's happened. That's not big, Janet, that's huge!

FRAISER
                            Okay, look, it's just a theory and we certainly don't have any hard evidence, yet.

CARTER
                            Yeah, yeah, but if you're right! This woman could be part of the race that first invented the Gate.

FRAISER
                            One stage of their development, anyway.

CARTER
                            A living Ancient.

FRAISER
                            And we look just like her.

CARTER
                            That could mean that…that our evolution wasn't just some biological accident.

Later episodes confirmed her theory that humans were the second evolution of this form and that humans evolved on earth because the Ancients caused it to.

And Jack saying that Darwin was wrong?
                            Jack said Darwin would be crushed. He was being flip; I wouldn't read too much into it.

I personally don't like that the Ancients are basically humans.
                            Stargate is usually good about creating believable reasons to use human actors in place of realistic aliens (as required by their budget), but I agree that this was a misstep. Somehow, the Ancients caused humans to evolve within an animal population that was alien to them and although humans are genetically similar to all other animal life on earth, they are also genetically identical to Ancients, minus a single gene. Also, to establish that the Ancient technology caused humans to evolve a second time on earth, this forced them to make the Ancients impossibly old. There's no way humans would look physically the same (while only evolving mentally) for 5-10 million years, let alone 50 million years.

The writers seemed to later regret this, so in Stargate Universe, they referred to the Destiny in terms of "hundreds of thousands of years old" and, at one point, "a" million, but in doing so they forgot the reason why they made them so ancient (as it were), which enabled the Ancients to cause human evolution on earth. And even then, apes and monkeys diverged from a common ancestor 25-30 million years ago, so there's a long fossil record showing the progression to human that predates the activation of the Dakara device 5-10 million years ago.

In fact I have developed a totally non-canon headcanon that the Alterans are descended from time traveling humans from earth back in time some + 50 millions of years ago across the galaxies.
                            The Ancients still intervened to cause humans to evolve on earth. This has been confirmed by actual Ancients, so if the Ancients were future humans who traveled back in time, human evolution on earth still did not happen naturally.
                            Last edited by Xaeden; 13 January 2020, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaeden View Post
                              All she said in the line you're referencing is that it provided evidence that humans "evolved long before we thought they did," not that humans didn't also evolve on earth.

Later in the episode, Carter and Jonas have an exchange where they're speculating about how there could be a human who predated human evolution on earth, and it's treated as a given that humans evolved on earth:

CARTER
                              As far as we knew up until now, all human life in the galaxy was transplanted to other planets from Earth by the Goa'uld. Now, the odds of a totally alien life form evolving to look exactly like us are…are astronomical.

JONAS
                              Actually, if she's as old as we think she is, wouldn't it be us evolving to look like her?

CARTER
                              True.

What they're trying to figure out is how humans could have evolved on earth and also evolved elsewhere. This is clarified by Fraiser herself even later in the episode:

FRAISER
                              Yes. We think this woman might predate human evolution on Earth by 50 million years.

CARTER
                              Yeah, but that would put her behind us on the evolutionary timeline, not way ahead.

FRAISER
                              Unless…

CARTER
                              Unless…our evolution isn't the first time it's happened. That's not big, Janet, that's huge!

FRAISER
                              Okay, look, it's just a theory and we certainly don't have any hard evidence, yet.

CARTER
                              Yeah, yeah, but if you're right! This woman could be part of the race that first invented the Gate.

FRAISER
                              One stage of their development, anyway.

CARTER
                              A living Ancient.

FRAISER
                              And we look just like her.

CARTER
                              That could mean that…that our evolution wasn't just some biological accident.

Later episodes confirmed her theory that humans were the second evolution of this form and that humans evolved on earth because the Ancients caused it to.
                              Ah! I did not remember that part!

Jack said Darwin would be crushed. He was being flip; I wouldn't read too much into it.
                              True.

Stargate is usually good about creating believable reasons to use human actors in place of realistic aliens (as required by their budget), but I agree that this was a misstep. Somehow, the Ancients caused humans to evolve within an animal population that was alien to them and although humans are genetically similar to all other animal life on earth, they are also genetically identical to Ancients, minus a single gene. Also, to establish that the Ancient technology caused humans to evolve a second time on earth, this forced them to make the Ancients impossibly old. There's no way humans would look physically the same (while only evolving mentally) for 5-10 million years, let alone 50 million years.

The writers seemed to later regret this, so in Stargate Universe, they referred to the Destiny in terms of "hundreds of thousands of years old" and, at one point, "a" million, but in doing so they forgot the reason why they made them so ancient (as it were), which was enable the Ancients to cause human evolution on earth. And even then, apes and monkeys diverged from a common ancestor 25-30 million years ago, so there's a long fossil record showing the progression to human that predates the activation of the Dakara device 5-10 million years ago.
                              Are you an evolved Ancient ? because you just did read my mind

The Ancients still intervened to cause humans to evolve on earth. This has been confirmed by actual Ancients, so if the Ancients were future humans who traveled back in time, human evolution on earth still did not happen naturally.
                              Or you could headcanon that the Dakara device did not reach Earth because of some weird Stargate bug or something.
                              And the Ancients are mistaken about causing human evolution on Earth not the first time that they made a mistake.

I'm starting to ponder if I should write a totally non-canon fanfiction about a deascended Ancient in modern times. Discovering evidence that the Ancients are somehow descended from modern humans an example is that he discovers same Neanderthals genes in modern human and the Ancients population.

Comment

Originally posted by Ascended Jonas View Post
                                Or you could headcanon that the Dakara device did not reach Earth because of some weird Stargate bug or something.
                                And the Ancients are mistaken about causing human evolution on Earth not the first time that they made a mistake.
                                Well, this comes from ascended Ancients who, while not all knowing, would, I assume, have the ability to determine the source of human evolution on earth. It's also quite possible that already ascended Ancients were observing those events.
                                Last edited by Xaeden; 05 January 2020, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X