Goauld Sarcophagus (sp ?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Goauld Sarcophagus (sp ?)

This just occurred to me, if the Goauld Sarcophagus (spelling not sure), brought back Aphopis from the dead.., can they do the same for anyone.. ?
    Can one use it to bring anybody back to life ?

And is it compatible with just Human physiology ?
    Because we did see it keeping a Goauld and some... ? ..centipede like creature alive for hundred's of years.

Would something of this sort work on the Asgard ? (Since the Asgard are more advanced, i'm sure they have a superior healing device, or medicine, atleast i think they would)
    Or perhaps their condition was a lot more severe..

A lot of question marks', i know. But it seems' like an interesting topic to discuss.
    Last edited by pbutter; 01 April 2008, 07:13 PM.

Watch Episode of Sg-1 s02e05 "Need". Discussion not really required.
    Wraith ships are giant lobsters.

Comment

It would work for a time, but after a while the effects don't last as long, so to speak. Remember how Lord Yu, before he was killed, went mad and senile, and even if he hadn't been, a sarcophogus wouldn't have done anything for him to extend his life. After a while, the sarcophagus affects the mental stability, becomes like a drug requiring regeneration more often, and eventually becomes ineffective for regeneration. Also, i don't think it will reanimate tissue that has been dead too long. In all the instances we've seen it used, the being in question was just recently deceased.

However, i believe that combining cloning, stasis, and sarcophogi would be able to extend a lifetime longer than any one of the 3. This would do nothing to counteract the negative effects of any of them, but it would forstall the onset of those negative effects in each case.
      That's the plan?!? That's the plan. That plan sucks!

Comment

It makes you evil

or thats how I remember the show's writers explaining it because the Sarc would have made our heroes way to safe and then they couldn't be effected by colds, viruses, and etc.... so no more mortal danger meant Earth would be to powerful but I loved them as I loved all Goa'uld tech
        Vote Anubis for President in 2012
        A Face you Can Trust
        sigpic
        So whats the worst that could happen?
        Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
        It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

Originally posted by fugiman View Post
          It makes you evil
          or thats how I remember the show's writers explaining it because the Sarc would have made our heroes way to safe and then they couldn't be effected by colds, viruses, and etc.... so no more mortal danger meant Earth would be to powerful but I loved them as I loved all Goa'uld tech
          Yeah, but, here's the thing, this device could actually bring people back from the dead, and only regular usage makes them go evil. Using it one time to bring someone back probably cant' do that much harm. And once again, it could revive people, from the dead, it might even be able to cure genetic defects (maybe).
          What are your thoughts on this...

And i don't know what happened, but after sometime, the writers seem to have completely forgotten about the device.

Comment

I doubt it would cure genetic defects, not on a first go anyway. It took a few tries before it fixed Daniels eyes. I think it mostly just takes care of serious injury, or alleviates the symptons of the addiction it causes.

There must have been a limit to what it could fix. Damage too serious, too old, or extensive brain damage are probably out of reach. The Tok'ra apparently had a method of suicide that destroyed the brain and prevented revival.

The writers didn't forget, it was a regular feature. Just not directly focused on. Over using it would have become cliche.

Comment

Originally posted by pbutter View Post
              Yeah, but, here's the thing, this device could actually bring people back from the dead, and only regular usage makes them go evil. Using it one time to bring someone back probably cant' do that much harm. And once again, it could revive people, from the dead,
              you're right, Daniel and Jack both used it to come back from the dead multiple times and they seem to be alright.
              I don't think it can revive someone more than a short time after they die though.
              about the Asgard, they seem to have a similar technology, or at least in an alternate universe they do, in Point Of View Hammond dies and the Asgard beam him up, revive him and beam him back.
              it might even be able to cure genetic defects (maybe).
              What are your thoughts on this...
              that's very doubtful, first it would have to know something is a defect in the first place. then it would have to alter the DNA of every cell in the body.
              seems unlikely
              I think it works more like a stem cell therapy.
              And i don't know what happened, but after sometime, the writers seem to have completely forgotten about the device.
              yep, a shame.

Comment

Well I think the Sarc can only work on humans so the Asgard bilogy would be off but of course I could be wrong as I am speculating
                Vote Anubis for President in 2012
                A Face you Can Trust
                sigpic
                So whats the worst that could happen?
                Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
                It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

Hey guys,

so you may accuse me of thread-necromancy but I didn't want to start my own (!), so I am using this one!

Today it occured to me (after watching some Stargate SG-1 season 7 episodes, especially "Prometheus"):

Do we know what exactly the limits of the sarcophagus (or of the device it was derived from) are?

I mean what can and can't it "fix"? I mean what about genetic diseases (does the sarcophagus have the capability to fix defective genes (hereditary defects and stuff like cancer?)? Can it be used to modify genes if paired with a computer?)? What about stuff like Ebola or something like that? What about a common cold? How long can you stay dead for it to be able to bring you back? Can you use it savely (say to slow or stop aging) if you only use it say once per week or once every 2 weeks or something (especially considering addiction and side-effects)? Will the side-effects stay with you (meaning: Does Daniel get addicted ASAP if they used it on him again if he died or was gravely wounded), like a chronic illness?

Just asking because I just saw Adrian Conrad again, the millionair who had gotten himself a symbiote because he didn't want to die (can understand that!), I mean could that guy have used a sarcophagus to fix himself (it's not like Earth isn't littered with Goa'uld tech, you just have to know where to look (I mean Osiris found a whole ****ing space ship when she was looking for one!)!)

Well, hope someone answers

greetings LAX

Comment

Most of this is conjecture because the show rarely went into details

No idea if it'd fix genetic diseases although it wouldn't be a stretch in my mind. I'd see the sarc being like a symbiote in what it can fix. I could see it fixing ebola or the cold...that said I could also see the its use being prioritized for terminal cases only.

As to the time frame, I'd say just the recently dead because I don't see it reversing decomposition. In The Tomb they mention the torture of the goa'uld being locked in a sarc with the monster...the monster killing it and him being revived, perpetually.

I've always interpreted the addictive properties only applying if the sarc is used for 'fun'....to not age, to feel better.., use it as a drug and be addicted. However in cases like Jack and Ba'al, when the sarc is used to revive the dead there should be little to no addiction. Kinda like, sleep when you're tired and you sleep fine, sleep when you're not tired and you get a headache.

With Adrian, yeah, if they had a sarc they could have fixed him without a symbiote. Then again there would be no drama in the show if no one ever died if you just got them home and sarced them. Hence why the SGC never got one.
                    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X