No announcement yet.

Fanfic Pet Peeves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have established that SF_and_Coffee and Whytewitch are really twins separated at birth!

As for hieroglypics, I have a friend who actually took a course on this in university. I have browsed her very thick text.
    Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

Originally posted by WraithRichard View Post
      Wait, someone else studied Egypt heavily as a kid? This makes me normal finally.
      LOL! Could be we're just all abnormal unique.
      sigpic
      Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
      Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

I actually grew up on a mix of British and American writing, so I ended up mixing styles. To this day there are some rules I insist on tat are British, despite following American rules the rest of the time. I also use (not insist thought) on using single quotes for thoughts thanks to my love of Lewis Carroll.
        While I grew up on only American grammar rules, I have had to peek at some British ones when I've done beta duty for a British friend. Some of their rules make more sense to me, some do not.
        sigpic
        Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
        Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

Originally posted by mathpiglet View Post
          We have established that SF_and_Coffee and Whytewitch are really twins separated at birth!
          **hangs head, pokes SF in the ribs** Sorry for taking over the thread with our reunion, guys. **grins sheepishly**

As for hieroglypics, I have a friend who actually took a course on this in university. I have browsed her very thick text.
          As a kid, I had to rely on the local library & used bookstore in small-town Connecticut. By the time I heard about those clubs where you buy six books in a year and get one free, I was into the Celtic stuff.

On the subject of hieroglyphs, anyone have any thoughts on when people use them (or other symbols) in their stories? Either as part of the story so that we see what the characters see or as scene breaks? My personal opinion is moderation and only in the story if it makes sense.

BTW, mathpiglet, have I mentioned how much your siggie's quote makes me giggle?
          sigpic

Comment

I'm taking my reply over to our grammar thread, I have some links I wanted to put in there anyway.
            Grammar / Spelling / Punctuation Discussion and Appreciation (questions welcome!) | Plot Bunny Adoption
            Fanfic Helpdesk: Technical and Scientific Help for Writers | Fanfic Pet Peeves | My Fanfiction (Abnormal Newt)

Comment

I find Mythbusters incredibly useful for low-energy and fun research - the amount of stuff they shoot, blow up, and otherwise test is insane. Although, the show's decreasing my enjoyment of other shows because now when people hide from bullets behind cars, trees, etc, I'm going riiiiight.

Comment

Originally posted by sbz View Post
                I find Mythbusters incredibly useful for low-energy and fun research - the amount of stuff they shoot, blow up, and otherwise test is insane. Although, the show's decreasing my enjoyment of other shows because now when people hide from bullets behind cars, trees, etc, I'm going riiiiight.
                You can join me in facepalming over a lot of the DNA stuff in Atlantis.

Or how all they're weapons are sticks and swords or guns and C4. Because those are the only effective weapons that EVER EXISTED.
                Price for Pain What do you mean violence isn't the answer?

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

Ficta voluptatis causa sint proxima veris

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

I've been facepalming over things I see in science fiction for ages. Mythbusters just turned the dial up to eleven.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                  Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
                  sigpic
                  now also appearing on DeviantArt
                  Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Originally posted by Whytewytch View Post
                    Choo1701: 800+ words, 20 pages? Are you missing a digit or did you write it long-hand? O_O Wish I had time to offer my beta services, but RL is keeping me away from the hungry plot bunnies who are over-running my writing garden as it is. Have you checked on LJ or DW or ff.net for betas? PM me if you need help with how to do this.
                    Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
                    Actually, I think Choo also said it's a comic, so that makes some sense. Twenty pages of graphic work, with 800 words of dialogue and/or narration still might be just a bit thin, but admittedly, I've never really checked to see what the average or standard is for comics.
                    THAT explains it. Choo, I bow down before you. I can barely draw stick figures in the mountains with the sun shining down on them. Don't suppose you would have access to a fan-art database, would you?
                    *screws up picture of "figures in the mountains with the sun shining down on them"* Gosh darn it someone always gets there first!

And the amount of words in a comic can vary a lot. I've seen one short with a character fighting a group of mimes, so yes theres no words, and then there was another fantasy comic that jumps from novel format (with illustrations) to comic form (and vice versa).

It was a beautiful comic, but suddenly i can't remeber what it was called! :/

EDIT: GOT IT! Thieves and Kings!

Thanks ladies (guys? ... folks?) And what sort of 'fan-art' database are you looking for Whytewytch? Because there's always .... Deviantart (but it contains crazy fan circles. Scary crazy fan circles!! 0.0 )

LOL! Could be we're just all abnormal unique.
                    Nope, technically we're all unique (yes 6 billion + of us!) so we're adnormal.

But we're adnormal TOGETHER!! (And thats what counts!!!! )
                    [''... I laugh at your reality..''][ STARGATE FAN COMIC: 'Hallowed Turf' ] [-DeviantArt-] [ ".... and a seagull."]

sigpic

Comment

< lady, just for the record.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                      Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic
                      Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

I am far too crude to be a lady. I am fully female, though.
                        Price for Pain What do you mean violence isn't the answer?

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

Ficta voluptatis causa sint proxima veris

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

I am far too crude to be a lady. I am fully female, though.
                          Oh, I'm crude and female... but for some reason the monarch of my SCA kingdom saw fit to make me a lady anyway. The Lady Ana an Locha, at your service (and now you know where my nom de plume comes from).

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                          Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
                            Oh, I'm crude and female... but for some reason the monarch of my SCA kingdom saw fit to make me a lady anyway. The Lady Ana an Locha, at your service (and now you know where my nom de plume comes from).
                            Ana, I don't know if you noticed, but my full name (I think you saw it on my email?) is very watery. I think it's appropriate as I'm a pisces/aries cusp.

When I was about 12, a classmate's mom told me I should do or stop doing something and "act like a lady" to which I swiftly replied "I'm not a lady, I'm a girl." Despite the fact that I'm in my 30's, I stand by that statement. At least "woman" is staring to enter the picture somewhat. And I don't think that lady ever tried to tell me what to do again. I win!
                            Grammar / Spelling / Punctuation Discussion and Appreciation (questions welcome!) | Plot Bunny Adoption
                            Fanfic Helpdesk: Technical and Scientific Help for Writers | Fanfic Pet Peeves | My Fanfiction (Abnormal Newt)

Comment

Heh. Age is a largely meaningless number, at least throughout much of a person's adulthood. "Girl" still works for me, in many contexts. I chose to go into a holding pattern around thirty -- in every way except the counting of my birthdays -- and it seems to have been a reasonable choice.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                              Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

I have never been a lady--guess that's why fate/God/whatever saw fit to bless me with boy children. I've always been the girl who wants to climb mountains, ride horses and shoot things (arrows, guns, etc). My only nod to girly stuff is that I cannot stand bugs--they totally skeeve me out. I do call anyone and everyone "guys" because that is a New England, possibly only Connecticut, generalisation. I found out the hard way, by annoying some women from the previous generation in another part of the U.S., that "guys" was not an acceptable term to everyone. LOL So if I call you guys "guys", I am not questioning your femaleness.

SF: I stopped counting birthdays at 35, myself. Still celebrate them, just as an anniversary. For example, this year will be the Xth anniversary of my 35th birthday. Yup, that's one X and therefore one digit for those who are paying attention to the little details...

sbz: I love Mythbusters! I am actually planning on using something from one of the pirate episodes in my RH BBC fic. See? Research! It's so much fun seeing if so and such could have happened that way or not. Plus, watching Tori get injured never gets old.

Choo: Just looking for somewhere I could go and find fan art, possibly ask an artist to collaborate if I ever get it in gear enough to want artwork to go with my fic. I like "real life" art, I guess you could call it--where the artist's rendering could almost be a photo of the subject, but I want the artist to be imaginative enough to put the subject into different poses/places, rather than just copying from a pic.

Feast: I will try to stop by the grammar thread later. I'm such a geek--can't wait to see the links.

As readers, do you guys (see? told you) have a certain level of disbelief? I mean, it's fiction & on top of that, it's sci-fi; there has to be a certain ratio of plausibilty vs possibility. Is your BS (that's bull shoot, BTW) meter's dial set for very sensitive or do you give a little more leeway to fanfic than you do to published fic?
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X