• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Sound of Drums (2912/312)

Visit the Episode GuideDOCTOR WHO SERIES 29
    THE SOUND OF DRUMS
    EPISODE NUMBER - 2912

Upon returning to Martha's home, she and the Doctor discover that the escaped evil Time Lord they are seeking is the one person they never suspected.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by Darren; 10 April 2011, 03:40 PM.

All I can say is Oh Wow, this is the first time I've actually been gripped by Dr Who, I actually put down my knitting for this and those that know me know this is a rarity.

Where do I start, well John Simm looks spookily like Tony Blair when he was younger, it must be the insincere smile and the mad glint in the eye. Can we post a drone to GWB? and I certainly didn't see the end coming, it was edge-of-the-seat stuff for me and our version of The Daedalus to boot and a bit of Gallifrey background. I can't wait until next week to see what happens but I'm frakkin' working, I am so tempted to call in sick. And what's with Mrs Saxon, she's as barking as her old man, what would have been a nice touch was to have had Tony Booth (Cherie Blair's dad) to have had a cameo. Roll on next week

Comment

Wow!!!
      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

WTH! I don't quite know what to make of this episode. It was definitely an eye opener that's for sure! I really enjoyed the ep, but there was something that felt a bit off at times. I can't quite put my finger on what it was though. Maybe it was the sight of Spectrum's Skybase floating in the clouds. Yeah. That was it. They nicked Skybase from Captain Scarlet. The rotters.

I liked the Doctor's backstory about Gallifrey and how the Master came to be. The explanation of Jack's involvement with Torchwood was good as well. Erm, I can't think of much more at the minute. Oh and there were couple of moments that had me laughing.

Let's see what part two brings...

edit: I went and missed most of the phone conversation between the Doctor and the Master. Bleh.

You weren't knitting a scarf by any chance, Reefgirl?
        Last edited by Missster.Freeman; 23 June 2007, 12:19 PM.
        "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

Wow indeed, backstory for both The Master and the Time War itself, excellent stuff.

Overall: 8/10
          Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
          - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Originally posted by Missster.Freeman View Post
            WTH! I don't quite know what to make of this episode. It was definitely an eye opener that's for sure! I really enjoyed the ep, but there was something that felt a bit off at times. I can't quite put my finger on what it was though. Maybe it was the sight of Spectrum's Skybase floating in the clouds. Yeah. That was it. They nicked Skybase from Captain Scarlet. The rotters.

I liked the Doctor's backstory about Gallifrey and how the Master came to be. The explanation of Torchwood was good as well. Erm, I can't think of much more at the minute. Oh and there were couple of moments that had me laughing.

Let's see what part two brings...

edit: You weren't knitting a scarf by any chance, Reefgirl? I went and missed most of the phone conversation between the Doctor and the Master. Bleh.
            You missed a really cool chunk then. that was a great moment. would have been better face to face though.

I loved the bit when they killed that journalist woman.

*open door* AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH
            *Closes door. silence*
            *opens door*
            AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH

That's some sound proofing.

Comment

that was possibly the best episode of the new series so far, however there was one detail thatreally annoyed me, martha's brother was not in brighton, i come from brighton and that was not it, rant over

Comment

John Simm is awesome. The music at the end was not.

Comment

Wow. Gripping ep. Is it next week yet, dammit?

I nearly cried when I saw what the Master had done to the TARDIS. How can that ever be fixed?! And I'm so hideously impatient to know what the Toclafane really are...
                  sigpic

Comment

the two things that annoyed me and there are only tiny niggles are:

Cloud base valiant lol.

And the doctors ageing for various reasons.

First the seizure he had looked wrong.
                    the aged look seemed a bit over done and also:
                    Timelord regenerations should live longer than human beings yet when he was aged to 100 he looked 100.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                      You missed a really cool chunk then. that was a great moment. would have been better face to face though.

I loved the bit when they killed that journalist woman.

*open door* AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH
                      *Closes door. silence*
                      *opens door*
                      AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH

That's some sound proofing.
                      Aye. That was it! It also made me think of Ace Ventura, oddly enough.
                      "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

Also... forgot to say: Actually getting Time Lord backstory... *seeing* Gallifrey!! Wow!!

Originally posted by cvife View Post
                        that was possibly the best episode of the new series so far, however there was one detail thatreally annoyed me, martha's brother was not in brighton, i come from brighton and that was not it, rant over
                        That's the nature of television. Very few TV shows or films are shot in the actual locations mentioned in the film. The entire *show* is filmed in and around Cardiff...
                        sigpic

Comment

If there's a bad thing about this episode, it's that I've never before had such a long run of eps for any individual show which have so impressed me that I have to give it massive props and kudos; normally I get at least a 'fine', 'meh' or 'grrr' ep every three or four, which conveniently proves to me that I'm not a slavish adulator of all things the show gives.

Oh soddit, paint me besotted fangirl then.

Jellybabies! Teletubbies! Ann Widdecombe! Oh my god they killed Jack! (who's now even more of a Kenny than Daniel ever was )

I think they trod a fine line with the wacky crazy Master. Not many actors could have managed it; Simms coped and more. He made sociopathic, psycopathic lunacy look like such FUN.

DT was on top form talking about Gallifrey and the Master, and I liked the flashbacks. (Nice to see one of those Time Lord headpieces again) Better still was his conversation with The Master. Touching on one side, such black comedy on the other.

The show does suit three heroes. Doctor and Martha is good, but +Jack is better. Same with Coctor and Rose plus Jack or -Ri- Mickey.

I liked the President. Any American person reading this, please tell me: when a yank calls someone an "ass", are they calling them a "donkey" or an "arse"? (it was a great line either way.)

Mrs Saxon... what luck for The Master to find someone with the same sort of murderous loopiness as him in only a few months on Earth.

That's the best Soundtrack I've ever heard for an End Of The World, too

Madeleine

Comment

I love that episode.

Wow seriously, amazing episode. Fantastic even. I loved the effect when the atmosphere of the Earth seemed to part and reveal a sort of hell dimension beneath. I just hope that Torchwood don't turn up next ep to save the day (god I hate Torchwood), and the Daleks better stay out of the climax too.

The flashback to Gallifrey was awesometastic. The Master was beautifully portrayed by John Simm (is that his the name? The guy from Life on Mars?), the cocky, cheeky parallel of the doctor only he's a complete pshyco. Just an awesome episode, and great cliff hanger.

I liked the music that played when Martha beamed off in the end (just like the music played in Doomsday when Rose becomes trapped on the parallel world).

What are those flying metal ball thingies anyway?
                            I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
                            Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

That episode was awesome. Truly awesome and now one of my faves. It had me on the edge of my seat. Truly amazing. Well done RTD.
                              Tappity-tap. Tappity-tap.
                              LOVE HIM-> DT
                              ~Proud Member of the Ship Ship Hooray Special Ops Team~

Comment

Working...
                              X