Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
    Ooooh, vacation time! Sounds lovely!
    Yup, until saturday... However, the Spanish siesta is a bit annoying though, especially when they advertise their archeological museum is open all day so you arrive on time around 2:30 and the door's closed because apparently the hours are from 4pm to 6pm instead. *sigh*

So we spend an entire 50 minutes sitting on a bench outside of the museum. First there was the sun but it was already setting so at one point it disappeared behind the buildings and my sister and I had to huddle together to stay warm. It was cold in the shade. *sniff*

But the archeological collection was definitely worth the wait -- fenician history is a blank slate for me so this was epic.

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
    I just had a phone screening for a job. The first question they asked was what salary I want. How do you answer that? I mean, if you say something too low then they'll pay you that instead of what they should, but if you say something too high you'll be out of the running.
    I always found that hard as well. We had websites where you could calculate your salary but they always told me I could literally ask for 2000 euro, and I just didn't feel good about that so I went with 1800 instead and lo and behold they started with 1700 instead (which meant I had 1300 left after every tax and contribution to the state had been deducted).
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Screw the Angst Wednesday!

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
      Yup, until saturday... However, the Spanish siesta is a bit annoying though, especially when they advertise their archeological museum is open all day so you arrive on time around 2:30 and the door's closed because apparently the hours are from 4pm to 6pm instead. *sigh*

So we spend an entire 50 minutes sitting on a bench outside of the museum. First there was the sun but it was already setting so at one point it disappeared behind the buildings and my sister and I had to huddle together to stay warm. It was cold in the shade. *sniff*

But the archeological collection was definitely worth the wait -- fenician history is a blank slate for me so this was epic.
      Oh dear...at least the chilly wait was worth it! Glad you and your sister had a good time.

I always found that hard as well. We had websites where you could calculate your salary but they always told me I could literally ask for 2000 euro, and I just didn't feel good about that so I went with 1800 instead and lo and behold they started with 1700 instead (which meant I had 1300 left after every tax and contribution to the state had been deducted).
      Ugh, that is just annoying as heck.
      (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
      Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

I just had a phone screening for a job. The first question they asked was what salary I want. How do you answer that? I mean, if you say something too low then they'll pay you that instead of what they should, but if you say something too high you'll be out of the running.
        Ah, the dreaded salary question. I didn't have to do that as a teacher, but both Mr. SR and SR Jr. always asked for a higher salary than they knew they would get. Then they negotiate.

And try getting food in Spain after noon and before 9pm. I'm sure you've seen the nightly parade of families with kids out after 10pm. What time does school start? Good grief.
        sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
          And try getting food in Spain after noon and before 9pm. I'm sure you've seen the nightly parade of families with kids out after 10pm. What time does school start? Good grief.
          We're staying in a house up on a hill, so there's no one around after 10pm.
          However, the late dinner thing I'm okay with. I'm quite accustomed to having dinner rather late in the evening.

Also, we were in Malaga today. Visited the Alcazaba and the Archaeology Museum of Malaga, which so happens to be situated near the harbor, and there was a giant cruise ship ankered there. It said Princess Cruises on the side. I remember you took a cruise on the Mediterranean a couple of years ago so I was wondering whether that was with them.

It was huge, even standing on top of the castle's towers which makes everything look really tiny.

Comment

Ah, the dreaded salary question. I didn't have to do that as a teacher, but both Mr. SR and SR Jr. always asked for a higher salary than they knew they would get. Then they negotiate.
            I'm not good at negotiating. I usually bring someone with me when I go car shopping because I'll just take whatever the list cost is.

And another problem is that the "average salary" for my job is all over the place. There's a huge gap in what I've seen online for my job. And I don't know anyone who currently does this job to ask them how much they make.

Job hunting sucks.

Comment

We're staying in a house up on a hill, so there's no one around after 10pm.
              However, the late dinner thing I'm okay with. I'm quite accustomed to having dinner rather late in the evening.

Also, we were in Malaga today. Visited the Alcazaba and the Archaeology Museum of Malaga, which so happens to be situated near the harbor, and there was a giant cruise ship ankered there. It said Princess Cruises on the side. I remember you took a cruise on the Mediterranean a couple of years ago so I was wondering whether that was with them.

It was huge, even standing on top of the castle's towers which makes everything look really tiny.
              Yes, we have done 2 Princess cruises to Alaska and the Med. It is a great company and the big ships are fabulous inside.

Have you ever been to Ronda, Spain? That was our favorite place. The parador there is right on the gorge and was the best place we stayed at in Spain.

I'm not good at negotiating. I usually bring someone with me when I go car shopping because I'll just take whatever the list cost is.

And another problem is that the "average salary" for my job is all over the place. There's a huge gap in what I've seen online for my job. And I don't know anyone who currently does this job to ask them how much they make.

Job hunting sucks.
              Yet another reason I'm glad to be out of the workforce.
              sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Have you ever been to Ronda, Spain? That was our favorite place.
                My sister says it's about 250km south of us.
                So nope... a little out of our current reach.

Visited the Caves of Nerja today... wow, I've seen some really beautiful galleries but this one outdid them by a long shot. Some incredible stalactites and -mites. Also, a few creepy ones... literally one that rises up in the middle of an otherwise empty space, ghostly white so I was really glad they had artificial light going cause by the goddesses I would have screamed the place down otherwise.

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Fluffy Thursday!

Ahhh, all this vacation talk is making me wistful for a trip. In the meantime, I'll live vicariously through all of you.
                  (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                  Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

I'm nearing the end of mine... Flying home on Saturday, and then back to work on Tuesday (cause Monday is Armistice Day).

And then it's countdown to the next one...

Comment

Yay- I was finally able to log on. They pushed through a security thing at work and none of us have been able to access much of anything online...which is unfortunate since we use WebEx for most of our meetings since we work at home. Oh well. I have some catching up to do on what I've missed.

Job hunting sucks.
                      Yes, but I just saw a good article on negotiating on CNBC. It was called "I got 10k more when I negotiated my salary- here's the exact script I used." If you don't find that one, I'm sure you'll find lots of others. I don't enjoy that aspect of job hunting either.

Yes, we have done 2 Princess cruises to Alaska and the Med. It is a great company and the big ships are fabulous inside.

Have you ever been to Ronda, Spain? That was our favorite place. The parador there is right on the gorge and was the best place we stayed at in Spain.

Yet another reason I'm glad to be out of the workforce.
                      I've yet to take a cruise. I have this irrational fear of being trapped on the ship. I really would love to do a river cruise on the Rhine.

My sister says it's about 250km south of us.
                      So nope... a little out of our current reach.

Visited the Caves of Nerja today... wow, I've seen some really beautiful galleries but this one outdid them by a long shot. Some incredible stalactites and -mites. Also, a few creepy ones... literally one that rises up in the middle of an otherwise empty space, ghostly white so I was really glad they had artificial light going cause by the goddesses I would have screamed the place down otherwise.
                      Hope you are having fun. I've been looking for more pictures.

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Fluffy Thursday!

Ahhh, all this vacation talk is making me wistful for a trip. In the meantime, I'll live vicariously through all of you.
                      You and me both. I've got to get to planning.
                      sigpic
                      Thanks to Copter for my signature art!

Comment

Originally posted by Zandra's Ashes View Post
                        I've yet to take a cruise. I have this irrational fear of being trapped on the ship. I really would love to do a river cruise on the Rhine.
                        I get seasick so I'll never do a cruise.

Though funnily enough, I don't get seasick on a kayak, which is a good thing cause I love kayaking at sea.

Also, I counted the lifeboats on the cruiseship -- you should be fine. They have to make sure there are enough lifeboats for all the passengers these days. You can thank the sinking of the Titanic for that safety measure.

Hope you are having fun. I've been looking for more pictures.
                        I've just posted a couple on Instagram.

Comment

Good afternoon, Sparkies! Happy Pretty Friday!

Yay- I was finally able to log on. They pushed through a security thing at work and none of us have been able to access much of anything online...which is unfortunate since we use WebEx for most of our meetings since we work at home. Oh well. I have some catching up to do on what I've missed.
                          Ugh, the marvels of modern computing.

Also, I counted the lifeboats on the cruiseship -- you should be fine. They have to make sure there are enough lifeboats for all the passengers these days. You can thank the sinking of the Titanic for that safety measure. )

Comment

Good afternoon, Sparkies! Happy Sparky!Family and College Football Saturday! Good luck to everyone's teams!

Comment

I've been on 2 cruises - one to Bermuda and one to the Bahamas. They are fun, as long as you don't get seasick.

Yes, but I just saw a good article on negotiating on CNBC. It was called "I got 10k more when I negotiated my salary- here's the exact script I used." If you don't find that one, I'm sure you'll find lots of others. I don't enjoy that aspect of job hunting either.
                              Thanks for the tip! I'll check it out.

Good afternoon, Sparkies! Happy Sparky!Family and College Football Saturday! Good luck to everyone's teams!
                              The RI Rams got trounced 19-55. Ouch.

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Lazy Sunday!

The RI Rams got trounced 19-55. Ouch.
                                Ouch indeed.

I couldn't figure out why I couldn't find their scores at first, until I remembered there's another subdivision to NCAA Division 1, and that's where RI is. So now I know where to look. And with that...

...on to this week's College Football Roundup! Virginia Tech beat Wake Forest 36-17, USC beat Arizona State 31-26, Tennessee beat Kentucky 17-13, Rhode Island fell to William and Mary 55-19, Navy had a bye this week, and Air Force's game against New Mexico was postponed until the 23rd. On to next week!

Comment

Working...
                                X