No announcement yet.

School Reunion (2803/203)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small point- I don't think he's ever lost a Companion due to old age, but as we've seen, the job can be very dangerous and a few of them have been killed in action.

Comment

Originally Posted by Albion
      I still think of the Sarah-Jayne/Tom Baker Dr partnership as the Golden Age of the old show - the only time I can recall ever really being interested in it - so it was lovely to see her back. And, my, hasn't Elisabeth Sladen aged well! She looked gorgeous.

I loved those two together. My sister gave me a few VHS tapes of Dr. Who as a suprise and a a couple of them are of TB/ES. I think I've stretched those out from too many viewings. I only wish I could look that well right now and in a few short years as her.

Comment

Wow, I loved the ep! I was going to say something last night, but I didn't get a chance. I loved Mickey's "I'm the tin dog" moment, that cracked me up!
        Spoiler:
        Before you met me I was a fairy princess
        I caught frogs and called them prince
        And made myself a queen
        Before you knew me I traveled 'round the world
        I slept in castles and fell in love
        Because I was taught to dream

I found mayonnaise bottles and poked holes on top
        To capture tinkerbell
        They were just fireflies to the untrained eye
        But I could always tell

I believe in fairytales and dreamers dreams like bed sheet sails
        And I believe in Peter Pan and miracles
        And anything I can to get by
        And fireflies...

"What's the point of being grown-up if you can't act childish sometimes?" -- Doctor Who

Comment

That was pretty cool.

Sarah Jane Smith was always my favorite companion. But then, Tom Baker was always my favorite Doctor too. Call me old school if you must.

So I guess it's all about the hair. Good Giles with his slightly rumpled hair, Evil Giles with his perfectly slicked back coif. To see him facing off with the Doctor was a Nerdgasm on par with the revelation of Minas Tirith in the LOTR movies...squee!

You wacky English with your slang. Hoodie? APSO? Chav? I have no idea what anyone's talking about sometimes...
          Through Life's dull road, so dim and dirty
          I have dragged to three-and-thirty.
          What have these years left to me?
          Nothing, except thirty-three.

- Lord Byron

Dispatches From the Suburbs of Hell

The Pit

Comment

Originally posted by Thermonuclearboy View Post
            That was pretty cool.

Sarah Jane Smith was always my favorite companion. But then, Tom Baker was always my favorite Doctor too. Call me old school if you must.

So I guess it's all about the hair. Good Giles with his slightly rumpled hair, Evil Giles with his perfectly slicked back coif. To see him facing off with the Doctor was a Nerdgasm on par with the revelation of Minas Tirith in the LOTR movies...squee!

You wacky English with your slang. Hoodie? APSO? Chav? I have no idea what anyone's talking about sometimes...
            Hoody - Hooded Sweatshirt
            ASBO - Anti Social Behaiour Disorder (not slang)
            Chav - ORIGNALLY meant Council Housed And Violent, but now refers to a generation of teenagers that wear sports clothes, tracksuits etc, without atcually wanting to do sport, are violent, usually like a lot of jewlery and are loud mouthed.
            Last edited by Flyboy; 15 October 2006, 11:44 AM.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Ah, so hoodie means the same thing over there as it does here...thank you for that translation.

- Lord Byron

The Pit

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                Small point- I don't think he's ever lost a Companion due to old age, but as we've seen, the job can be very dangerous and a few of them have been killed in action.
                technically he has had that happen to one of his compaions Sara Kingdom in the Dalek Master Plan who was killed at the end by the effects of the time destructer making her very very old and eventully jsut killing her.
                Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

Comment

Okay, so Housing Estates are the British equivalent of Projects. This means...Rose is supposed to be Ghetto? She doesn't SEEM very Ghetto. Maybe ghettos are different in the UK.

- Lord Byron

The Pit

Comment

I'm still mad my friend missed this episode, he would have truely have loved it. The interaction because The Docotor and Rose was amazing.

Comment

Okay, so Housing Estates are the British equivalent of Projects. This means...Rose is supposed to be Ghetto? She doesn't SEEM very Ghetto. Maybe ghettos are different in the UK.
                      Housing estates aren't automatically ghetto. Most aren't. I lived in one for a spell and I I'd get laughed off the face of the planet if I claimed to be ghetto to anyone who's ever met me .

The nuances of 'trailer park' might perhaps fit some of the nuances of Housing Estate.

(Although yes, ghetto in the UK is rather different to the american ghettos. We'd all wait nicely in a proper queue to get shot by the ghetto druggies, and we'd do it in a suitably random mix of metric and imperial. )

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W View Post
                        (Although yes, ghetto in the UK is rather different to the american ghettos. We'd all wait nicely in a proper queue to get shot by the ghetto druggies, and we'd do it in a suitably random mix of metric and imperial. )

I really liked this ep. I am young enough to have seen some of the Tom Baker eps, but all I really remember is a man in a really long scarf and being absolutely terrified. So, for me to feel a connection to Sarah Jane & K-9 is a testament to the talent of the people on screen.

There were dsome great lines in this ep. Award for most intense was the pool scene where the doctor talks about being old & not giving more than the one chance (shiver). Award for the one most likely to make you laugh till milk comes out your nose has to go to Mickey, "I'm their man in Havana, their technical support I... OH MY GOD, I'm the TIN DOG!!!!" Although,, Rose & Sarah Jane dishing about the Doctor's personality quirks was pretty hilarious, too.

Anthony Head was fantabulous, even batlike in his movements, bravo!

Comment

Not sure entirely what a ghetto is...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
                            Not sure entirely what a ghetto is...

From my experiences living in one of the cities that's bolded.
                            Here in the US, a ghetto is mostly located in the inner cities (NY, Chicago, LA, ...etc). They are mostly State/Federal ran, where some people who are on some sort of assistance (State/Federal welfare, food stamps). And these are usaually large blocks of apartments, ranging from 2-12 stories high.

It also has a negitive connotation here, as it's more of a state of condition. Run down areas, poor housing, and the such.
                            Last edited by LaCroix; 17 October 2006, 10:45 AM. Reason: adding info

Comment

Originally posted by LaCroix View Post
                              From my experiences living in one of the cities that's bolded.
                              Here in the US, a ghetto is mostly located in the inner cities (NY, Chicago, LA, ...etc). They are mostly State/Federal ran, where some people who are on some sort of assistance (State/Federal welfare, food stamps). And these are usaually large blocks of apartments, ranging from 2-12 stories high.

It also has a negitive connotation here, as it's more of a state of condition. Run down areas, poor housing, and the such.
                              Cheers!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Council_estate

Sounds similar to a council estate, but very different as well...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Well, I suppose "ghetto" isn't the most accurate word. In America we have "Housing Projects" and/or "Housing Developments" which are pretty much analogous to British "Housing Estates." "Ghetto" is more a cultural thing than a physical thing. Tough urban working-class neighborhood, often with a lot of crime and poverty...that's a ghetto. You may find Projects IN the ghetto, but the Projects are not the ghetto in and of themselves.

...not sure if that made any sense...

- Lord Byron

The Pit

Comment

Working...
                                X