• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zero Hour (404)

Visit the Episode GuideCONTINUUM - SEASON FOUR
    ZERO HOUR
    EPISODE NUMBER - 404
    Kiera and Brad's trust issues reach a breaking point, as Alec discovers the true nature of the future soldiers' mission. After Alec pressures Jason to help him find his future wife, a stranger from the future forces him to reconsider the true nature of destiny.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 05 December 2015, 11:48 PM.

urgh, hate being right, wish they'd come up with something better than Terra Nova 2.

Comment

Maybe I'm a little slow, but I don't get how does this time wormhole will help Kiera. If she goes through it, won't she end up in Tonkin's future? The one where Kellog is a war lord? Or in any other future that might be created by Alec's new decisions regarding his life?

Even assuming there are multiple timelines (like Chen said), how will she make sure she arrives at the "right" one - one where none of the things she knew in 2077 had actually changed?

It bugs me that nobody addresses that on the show...
      sigpic

Suffer the dream of a world gone mad, I like it like that and I know it.
      - R.E.M.

Comment

Originally posted by Raw_Deal View Post
        Maybe I'm a little slow, but I don't get how does this time wormhole will help Kiera. If she goes through it, won't she end up in Tonkin's future? The one where Kellog is a war lord? Or in any other future that might be created by Alec's new decisions regarding his life?

Even assuming there are multiple timelines (like Chen said), how will she make sure she arrives at the "right" one - one where none of the things she knew in 2077 had actually changed?

I think that's why Alec said "with some adjustments" about the time travel thingy.
        Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
        Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
        On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
          I think that's why Alec said "with some adjustments" about the time travel thingy.
          I missed that. But still, it would have to be quite an adjustment.
          sigpic

- R.E.M.

Comment

I'm starting to think the writers phoned this season in, after knowing it would be their last.
            Or maybe it's my own perspective, knowing it's the last 6 eps, but this show used to be focused and tight, a clear story.. It's getting to be just a muddle.

Comment

I missed that. But still, it would have to be quite an adjustment.
              The series has been working on the Doctor Who principle of time travel storytelling, i.e. there are multiple timelines all running parallel to each other and a person can travel between each one independently of their own.

Remember in the first series they killed off Kellogg's grandmother and nothing happened to him, we all surmised that she wasn't his biological grandmother, or he was adopted to try and explain it, then I think I read an interview with the writers who said each timeline was independent, and at the end of series two I think we saw the original timeline they all travelled to collapse because of what Alex did.

I haven't seen episode 5 yet but I suspect the ball type device created by older Alec will be the key for want of a better word to sending her home to the correct timeline, the screwdriver type device they want back is the equivalent technology from this timeline created by Kellog after he ousted alec from Pyron, and I suspect when she get's home, nothing will have changed because what we've been seeing over the whole series has been taking place in a parallel timeline (Ryan Robbin's characters one) and not her own one.

If that makes any sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian-S View Post
                The series has been working on the Doctor Who principle of time travel storytelling, i.e. there are multiple timelines all running parallel to each other and a person can travel between each one independently of their own.

Remember in the first series they killed off Kellogg's grandmother and nothing happened to him, we all surmised that she wasn't his biological grandmother, or he was adopted to try and explain it, then I think I read an interview with the writers who said each timeline was independent, and at the end of series two I think we saw the original timeline they all travelled to collapse because of what Alex did.

I haven't seen episode 5 yet but I suspect the ball type device created by older Alec will be the key for want of a better word to sending her home to the correct timeline, the screwdriver type device they want back is the equivalent technology from this timeline created by Kellog after he ousted alec from Pyron, and I suspect when she get's home, nothing will have changed because what we've been seeing over the whole series has been taking place in a parallel timeline (Ryan Robbin's characters one) and not her own one.

If that makes any sense.
                Actually I understand what you're saying-I've seen it explained with the idea that of the "Grandfather Paradox" that if it was possible for someone to go back in time and kill their own grandfather-they'd essentially be creating an alternate future where they never existed but the future/timeline they came from would continue to exist, along with the person in question. Is that basically what you're saying?

Comment

Originally posted by Ian-S View Post

If that makes any sense.
                  It does make sense, and I agree with you about the theory of parallel timelines. I just feel that this issue wasn't properly addressed.

Kiera just talks about going forward in time and getting back home, practically ignoring the fact that the future of the timeline she's in, is different than the one she came from, because of the different choices Alec and other people made.

If i'm not mistaken, so far there was no discussion (certainly not on Keira's part) about the need to not only go forward in time, but to also "skip" to a parallel timeline, one in which the past hasn't changed (i.e. where Alec became the head of a huge corporation, Julian led a resistance movement, and so on).

That's what's been bugging me.
                  sigpic

- R.E.M.

Comment

Yes to both of you, I find it annoying they don't ever address these issues too, not just this series but I've seen it many times elsewhere, it's like the writers either forget, or can't be bothered and whenever you pull them up on it (like I did once to a writer) their excuse is 'do you need everything explaining?' - well err, when your story defies Einstien's theory of relativity I'd like you to explain why, so yes explain away....

Comment

Everyone here makes good points. I think a big problem is the lack of a full season of episodes to close out the series with any amount of closure. There are a lot of plot angles they have running that need to be addressed in a mere 6 episode "season". I read somewhere that the creator had enough material for a 7 season run. Obviously that isn't going to happen. I am trying to have a little faith that if they had more episodes to close out the series and would quit introducing new plot angles, like the supersoldiers from Brad's future the series would be a lot better. I like the supersoldier angle but I think it was a little late to bring them in.

Comment

Originally posted by Gate_Fan View Post
                        Everyone here makes good points. I think a big problem is the lack of a full season of episodes to close out the series with any amount of closure. There are a lot of plot angles they have running that need to be addressed in a mere 6 episode "season". I read somewhere that the creator had enough material for a 7 season run. Obviously that isn't going to happen. I am trying to have a little faith that if they had more episodes to close out the series and would quit introducing new plot angles, like the supersoldiers from Brad's future the series would be a lot better. I like the supersoldier angle but I think it was a little late to bring them in.
                        They probably didn't know they wouldn't get another season when they wrote that.

Comment

Yeah....Dr. E. Brown made it quite clear. This show is leaving it murky.
                          sigpic

Comment

I've always thought this show operated on the multiple timelines "branching" idea; where a decision or action creates a new branch off the original timeline at that point, with the original branch continuing on as it was, and the new branch seeing the consequences of the decision or action.

Never really thought about it, to me, the series has always presented that model.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
                              I'm starting to think the writers phoned this season in, after knowing it would be their last.
                              Or maybe it's my own perspective, knowing it's the last 6 eps, but this show used to be focused and tight, a clear story.. It's getting to be just a muddle.
                              I think i kind of heard the show director said because it only have six episodes.
                              Some of the content may have fast tracked!!!And i got that feeling too when watch it!!
                              Such a shame for this show!!! Why do they cancelled so early???
                              Am i sensing Brad may be going to help his Kellogg's soldier??
                              And Kellogg are going to help Kiera back to the future with her son, because Warlord Kellogg want cut CEO Kellogg Kidneys out for himself!!!

Now i have question: What will happen to Kiera when she back with her son?? Is she going to help L8 or found a new faction to help change within the system ?????
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X