Blackwater (209)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
    Sorry 'bout that. I thought I tagged everything that needed to be tagged.
    Nah it's fine. I had a feeling he did.
    sigpic

Comment

I don't know if even a movie can show hundreds of ships and thousands of men battling and dying. GoT has a massive budget but does it have that much?

Of course,
      Spoiler:
      haven't we only seen half the battle? cause I recall there being yet another trick up tyrion's sleeve that cinched it that we didn't see
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gen. Chris View Post
        Well, I would make the claim that the battle could have been done a LITTLE better (I don't know how it was in the books, I just mean they could have showed a bit more...It didn't really feel like a large scale battle but more like a skirmish) But it was still pretty great. I would definitely agree about the series being movie quality.
        They had hundreds of men fighting, scaling the walls, a cavalry charge, a huge wildfire explosion, ships on fire, dozens of boats landing men, swarms of arrows, it was a proper decent battle, and certainly imo felt epic and cinematic. No it didn't have a LOTR wide shot of 100,000 men fighting, but it didn't need it and besides they could afford that.

Further even if they could afford it wouldn't have fit the show. Game of Thrones is about gritty realism, and even if they could have afforded it those huge wide shots wouldn't have suited it. Those shots are totally unrealistic , even in Medieval times with huge pitched battles, armies did not form into two solid groups and smash into each other. Even if you had a bird's eye view of an actual medieval battle, you'd be hard pressed to tell what's going on. The battle would take place over many miles, units would split up, fight at different locations, some would run away, some would rest, some would be left to guard important positions and so on. Blackwater did a sort of infantrymen's perspective of the battle, we saw what a man fighting in the battle would actually see, and I think that worked quite well.

And thanks for essentially saying that Davos survived...I couldn't tell. I suppose the same can't be said for his son.
        Matthos is crispy fried.

Comment

I don't know quite how to explain what I meant...But I'll try.

It seemed like what few solders we saw (relatively) were all that were around. If they made a comment like "They still have thousands more ready to land" (unless I missed that) then it would have been a little better. Or when Tyrion was giving his little speech it looked like there were maybe fifty men...If they had sort of trailed off in the distance it would have suggested there being more...Know what I mean?

I don't know...Maybe I'm just being picky. It just had the feel, not necessarily the look, of a skirmish, not a battle.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gen. Chris View Post
            I don't know quite how to explain what I meant...But I'll try.

It seemed like what few solders we saw (relatively) were all that were around. If they made a comment like "They still have thousands more ready to land" (unless I missed that) then it would have been a little better. Or when Tyrion was giving his little speech it looked like there were maybe fifty men...If they had sort of trailed off in the distance it would have suggested there being more...Know what I mean?

I don't know...Maybe I'm just being picky. It just had the feel, not necessarily the look, of a skirmish, not a battle.
            I honestly don't know what you were watching but it clearly wasn't the episode I watched. We saw them land multiple waves of troops, there was the first group with Stannis, the second wave landed with the ram, and a third wave arrives and charges in after the ram is burnt.

And the troops at the gate, that courtyard was packed with at least 100 men, and I'm not sure how they could have got any more men into that space short of having them stand on top of each other. And how is it supposed to trail off into the distance when the scene was set in an enclosed courtyard? Further it was clearly not meant to be every defender of King's Landing, but the group that Tyrion had gathered to sally forth and flank the attackers. The other troops were on the walls, fighting. Also the defenders are short staffed, it's Stannis who has the big army, King's Landing has relatively few men defending it, that's stated in the series on several occasions.

So yes I think your criticisms are really nitpicky and don't actually make much sense.

Comment

It wasn't LOTR epic. But I think they did well with what they had. maybe something that made it look tiny is that it was at dark so you couldn't always see that many at a time.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                It wasn't LOTR epic. But I think they did well with what they had. maybe something that made it look tiny is that it was at dark so you couldn't always see that many at a time.
                Perhaps this. I didn't realize just how dark my screen was until the very end of the episode. Perhaps I couldn't see the majority of the men. The scene of them landing the first wave I could only see perhaps five or six boats...Were there more that I couldn't see? I also couldn't see much during the part with the Baratheon men charging from the beach after Tyrion said "Oh ____ me"...I only saw about fifty men coming.

I don't know. I was under the impression that there were around 6,000 City Guards...I understand they obviously can't have six thousand extras but from what I saw it just didn't *seem* like King's Landing had more than two hundred men defending at the gate. Of course I suppose they were scattered throughout the city in case another attack occurred somewhere else...

I'm not trying to be picky. Just observing what I saw, which obviously wasn't a lot if my screen is too dark. I might go rewatch it and amp up the brightness on the screen and see what I missed.
                sigpic

Comment

Ya know guys, there's nothing wrong with a person 'being picky' or the such. I think it's fair to say that lots of he show is open to a person's interpretation. as such we all bring our own life experiences into things. Some of us have read the books, some haven't. Some have read them intently, others maybe not so much (I know I sometimes skim)

I think we all need a little tolerance towards each other. Less judgemental and maybe more simply enjoying the fact that we are watching and enjoying a good show based on some good books....and I think we all hope GRRM lives long enough to finish the bloody series and not leave us hanging

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                    Ya know guys, there's nothing wrong with a person 'being picky' or the such. I think it's fair to say that lots of he show is open to a person's interpretation. as such we all bring our own life experiences into things. Some of us have read the books, some haven't. Some have read them intently, others maybe not so much (I know I sometimes skim)

I think we all need a little tolerance towards each other. Less judgemental and maybe more simply enjoying the fact that we are watching and enjoying a good show based on some good books....and I think we all hope GRRM lives long enough to finish the bloody series and not leave us hanging
                    I don't mind when people criticize my opinions, as long as they have proper evidence for such criticism. It appears as if you guys do, so I don't mind at all.

I will say though, I was impressed seeing Clegane cut men in half...Nice effects for a show.
                    sigpic

Comment

I have no issue at all with discussions, but i've seen some outright dismissing of others opinions, just not fun.

sigpic

Comment

skydiver's opinions are terrible

Comment

Can't say i'm too thrilled about yours either Morbo Honey

sigpic

Comment

I watched this again, this time with the brightness turned up. I was able to see a LOT more going on.
                            sigpic

Comment

Why didnt Sansa leave with Clegane? I would have left crazy bastard Jeoffrey if I had a chance.
                              sigpic
                              LordRush - "Battle stations!" "Marines, Kree!"

Comment

What a great episode. The wildfire scene was amazing. I wished Sansa had gonewith the Hound when she had the chance.
                                I dont know if I was supposed to or not but I kinda wanted Stannis to have a victory.
                                I'm also a bit confused I thought it was Stannis.s men pulling him to safety , or was he being captured.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X