No announcement yet.

Finally! A definitive answer on the real size of Atlantis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well.... some of the Ha'tak scaling can be explained away.
    different goa'uld build their ships differently.

but the scaling is for the most part completely messed up for almost everything.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Oragahn View Post
      Yeah, well, just don't be surprised if even rough estimates tend to be completely off by more than 200%.
      Did I tell you that story about the Ha'tak in Enemies being like 8.5 km large?
      i'd like to hear that sorry lol, could you post pics or something??
      Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

I don't know where i heard this but I remember reading somewhere that a system Lords flagships look exactly the same as normal ha'taks but are bigger, this would explain the ship from 'enemies' being bigger as SG-1 aquired it from a system lord.

Comment

Originally posted by kirmit View Post
          I don't know where i heard this but I remember reading somewhere that a system Lords flagships look exactly the same as normal ha'taks but are bigger, this would explain the ship from 'enemies' being bigger as SG-1 aquired it from a system lord.
          yes, but it's only supposed to be slightly bigger...8.5km is like 10 times bigger
          Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

Originally posted by Buba uognarf View Post
            yes, but it's only supposed to be slightly bigger...8.5km is like 10 times bigger
            yer true but I never remember a ha'tak looking that big, it looked big in 'enemies' compared to the Alkesh but no where near 8.5km.

Comment

Originally posted by O'Neil View Post
              Like I said in a previous thread....

There are several versions of atlantis. Rainmaker modeled the first initial city (first season), but now for the second season, Rainmaker doesnt handle all of the CG aspects of the show. There are other studio's which are doing work for the show now, so they modeled their own city. Each one looks different and im pretty sure they are scaled differently, but relatively keeping the same look and feel.
              That sounds kinda wierd, seeing as how much work it is to model a city it would make much more sense to put the .max file on a thumdrive and send it away with UPS

Comment

Originally posted by kirmit View Post
                Never heard anything about that, and never seen evidence. Apophis' Ha'taks were even slightly smaller than the late Ha'taks.

Originally posted by Buba uognarf View Post
                i'd like to hear that sorry lol, could you post pics or something??
                It's like a comic book, but with screenshots and horrible lines painted on them.
                The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Originally posted by Cory Holmes View Post
                  This is the Lost City of the Ancients, people! Not the Lost Village, Township, Hamlet, or Farmstead!
                  I may be wrong about this (I read so much fanfic sometimes I can't remember what's canon and what's not) but in a season 3 ep (I think it was Progeny),
                  Spoiler:
                  wasn't there an entire planet of Ancienty city things? (Sorry lol, I'm not very good at describing stuff) I mean, I know it had been rebuilt by the replicators, but surely that would mean that Atlantis is only part of the city of the Ancients?

Comment

How can it take 3 ZPMs for atlantis to lift off and fly through hyperspace if it is so much smaller then a HIve ship that can do it without one?
                    Quacks

Comment

Originally posted by CouchPotator View Post
                      How can it take 3 ZPMs for atlantis to lift off and fly through hyperspace if it is so much smaller then a HIve ship that can do it without one?
                      well to be fair we have no idea on what powersource hives use.

Comment

Originally posted by Cory Holmes View Post
                        XJamesX:

Do you think you could temporarily re-scale your Atlantis model to the size of Manhattan (21km from end to end)? I wanna see how much it dwarfs the Daedalus then
                        here you go. It dwarfs it.

-James-

Comment

Ahh, now that is what the city is supposed to look like! Piddly little BC-304 makes it all the grander.

How about the first-person view you shared earlier? How would the central towers look when scaled to that size?
                          sigpic
                          http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_space.php

Comment

And that is exactly like the city it will never like, unless they intend to stop and restart the show from scratch.
                            The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Oragahn View Post
                              And that is exactly like the city it will never like, unless they intend to stop and restart the show from scratch.
                              Or decide to arbitrarily re-scale the city at a later point. As has been mentioned before, that wouldn't exactly be new in the history of Stargate.
                              sigpic
                              http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_space.php

Comment

Originally posted by CouchPotator View Post
                                Even the Goa'uld can do it with things like Apophis flagship which was about the size of Atlantis (real size not the dinky one).

The whole 3zpms to fly thing is idiotic. There's no way to explain why it should take the power of somethin like 3-6 supernovas just to make the city fly. The only way I can think of to explain it is that there's some sort of provision in the computer system that requires a ZPM to be plugged into all 3 slots before it will let you turn the engines on. Some sort of safeguard or ancient nanny system of something stupid like that. It doesn't make any sense that it's actually a power requirement.

Of course this is coming from the same guys who think sticking your 6 supernova powered shield under a few hundred feet of water is something that's worth doing to drastically improve the protection you're getting.

Kinda like robocop putting on mosquito repellant there.

Comment

Working...
                                X