MGM Announces New Original Series "Stargate Origins"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
    That's part of the mystery and I would imagine would be addressed. It'd also explain how they manage to activate the Stargate as per the trailer but still don't know how to in ToT since presumably the Germans have to take the DHD with them after the end of Origins.
    In ToT it's clear. It's fully manual. You can see the technicians spinning the ring using several handlebars that were somehow attached to the ring. They then lock the chevrons by sending an electrical pulse using a circuit breaker or something. I imagined they would do the same in Origins (and maybe they still do, the prop could just be used for a photograph or a recording). I imagine the DHD, and whatever they found with it, is what puts the Germans on the trail of the Stargate in the first place. How else would they know about Langford and the Stargate?

Comment

Sure, it's clear how they do it. But it takes them until Catherine's suggestion to actually get it to work. But that's not my point. They didn't know how to activate it until ToT. Them having access to the DHD in Origins explains how the Stargate is activated but yet Langford isn't able to turn the Stargate back on until ToT. They didn't operate it manually in Origins, it is presumably done via the DHD.
      sigpic
      Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

*snort*

I managed to break a thread of mine at the Command message feed -- apparently posting javascript inside a post, kills the post.

And I mistook the DHD for the DHD my friends and I build a couple of years ago to go with our stargate. Looks just the same. Weird.
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

https://www.stargatecommand.co/feeds...5c1ccb055def7b

Being the daughter of one of Archaeology's most prominent figures could intimidate some people....Not Catherine Langford, though. Fascinated with ancient history from an early age, Catherine would often accompany her Father, Professor Paul Langford, on archaeological digs. Indeed, these adventures would often be a true Langford family affair, with Catherine's mother helping her husband catalog his discoveries on site. But, on a 1927 trip to South America, a great tragedy struck when Mrs. Langford succumbed to Malaria, leaving the Professor to raise young Catherine on his own.

After his wife's death, the Professor felt that he and Catherine should continue on the path their family had always enjoyed the most, the path of adventure and discovery. Egypt and its many hidden treasures beckoned; the perfect antidote for the immense sorrow that gripped the two Langfords.

Growing into a young woman while surrounded by discovery and mystery, Catherine impressed many of Langford's associates with her affinity for creating ingenious new systems for cataloging discoveries. Entirely on her own merit, Catherine had begun to earn a reputation of her own in the elite archaeological circles of North Africa, a fact that spawned great pride in her father who would take immense pleasure in picking her brains at the end of a long day's work.

Catherine and her father had developed a close bond in the years since her mother's death, but Professor Langford knew that it wouldn't be long before his daughter's wit and beauty would attract potential suitors...he just hoped, for their own sake, that they knew what they were letting themselves in for!

https://www.stargatecommand.co/feeds...5c1ccb055def7b

James Beal is a captain in the British army, stationed in Egypt. After enlisting in the army to stem the tide of fascism in Europe, Beal was able to quickly rise to the rank of captain thanks to his combination of hard work, natural ability, and leadership qualities. Once attaining his lofty new rank at a young age, Beal was assigned to a remote outpost near Cairo, where he was tasked with protecting British interests as the specter of World War II loomed over North Africa. Despite representing a foreign power in Egypt, Beal was able to win over the locals thanks to his charming personality and selflessness. He befriended a local lieutenant in his unit, Wasif, and found a romantic partner in American researcher Catherine Langford after a chance meeting in a local market.

After only a few weeks of courtship with Catherine, Beal found himself head over heels in love and was already and thinking about spending the rest of his life with her, being drawn to her independent streak and sense of adventure. However, Catherine plays her cards close to her chest, and Beal remains unsure of her commitment to him. Should danger ever reach their corner of North Africa, Beal would happily risk his life to protect Catherine, even if he knows she’s more than capable of fending for herself. Still, he is willing to do anything for her, and if their adventures together take him into conflict with Nazis, then the ensuing adventure will just be icing on the cake for this ambitious young officer.

Stargate Origins Interview: Shvan Aladdin

I've not read that interview yet.
          sigpic

Comment

Is Stargate Origins Canon? Producers Say ‘Yes’

"The writers made a pact right from the beginning" to honor the continuity of the long-running TV and film franchise.
            https://www.gateworld.net/news/2018/...origins-canon/

By all appearances Catherine doesn’t know how to dial the Stargate successfully in the feature film, and doesn’t make her first pass through the event horizon (nervously!) until 1997’s “The Torment of Tantalus.”

What, then, could have happened in 1939? Our source tells GateWorld that the scattered bits that we already know about this era in Stargate history in fact informed the story of Origins in a big way.

“During the early stages of this show’s creation, everyone involved took great inspiration from a number of references that the existing canon had made to the pre- and post-war era. So much so, that these references formed the basis for a large part of the Stargate Origins narrative.”
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nivao View Post
              Okay, why is there a BTS screenshot of a DHD? That's the one thing perhaps that wasn't left ambiguous in canon, the DHD was found before the Stargate was, by a German archaeologist, and was brought to Germany. So now the Nazis have brought it back to Egypt, or it never left yet? Kind of strange considering the Russians took it from Berlin in 1945. This was explained clear as day in 1969 by Daniel, and in the pilot by Carter ("This is what was missing from the dig at Giza"). If the Nazis were defeated by Catherine or who- or whatever, and the Stargate was secured to be brought to America, then how does the DHD end up in Berlin and not in America? The story would take place in less than a year, because it takes place in 1939, the same year the gate was shipped to America aboard the Achylles (without the DHD), so things would happen quite fast (considering WW2 didn't reach Egypt for at least two years).
              Who says that pic is of the Earth's DHD?

I can see the Germans bringing the DHD back to Egypt, especially if there was a breakthrough anticipated.
              And they may have deemed it safer to experiment in there instead of Germany. Besides, Langford's lab had been setup and running for 10yrs at this pointe Heck, maybe Langford invited them when he found out about their DHD. Bringing it back? I'd guess the Germans were in a rush to leave and could only take the DHD.
              Last edited by mooseman; 14 February 2018, 10:12 AM.

Comment

I just read the article about streaming services in Europe, which as of april 1st (not a Fool's joke) will have open streaming boarders. What it means, if you have an account with a streaming service in your own country, and you travel to another European country (Germany to Spain, f.e.), you can continue using your streaming account in this country, regardless of having a different IP.

So, if a German all-access member were to travel to Denmark, they should technically have to have access to their streaming account on Command -- even with Denmark, in this case, locked out as a country.

In theory...

Comment

https://www.gateworld.net/news/2018/...the-next-step/

Basically it is a similar article what Darrel has written a few days ago. I want to hear something from MGM now.
                  "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

MGM has other things to worry about right now -- like their new CEO, so you can be sure there's not going to much stargate news coming from them.

And if they continue to be quiet on the subject for much longer, they're gonna find out the hard way that people are simply not in the mood to be strung along, especially not when they happen to be your paying customers. I notice that activity at Stargate Command's message feed has gone down considerably -- in fact, the place is slowly dying a quiet death. So, if nothing happens soon, they're going to find tumbleweed rolling around the place real soon.

Comment

Exactly. They slowly kill out the last glimpse of enthusiasm. And you know it is a bit annoying that they let us believe that something is coming than we are just waiting and waiting and waiiting. Probably Brad Wright will be busy with Travelers Season 3, so I don't know if he wants to be a new showrunner for any SG show at all. I mean it was not clearly stated he would accept the job as a lead writer with RCC together. Only just JM suggested such things that they would do if MGM ask them.

Stargate : Command. If there is no new material, then what should the fans talk about?! About such things what happened 10-15-20 years ago? I tried to post a few pictures which maybe not that common and SG fans would be happy about it. But every time I started or replied a conversation than nobody answered. So how many people use that site activaly? 5000? 500? 50? Because they have said the website is a great success, just simply the likes wouldn't show it at all. So if somebody post something really good than the likes goes up to 30-50-70, but I have never seen anything above 100. Maybe I have been left out from the starting buzz as I have joined only in January or February.

Talking about a potential new show. I don't like that attitude that they build on new viewers like everybody would be dumb to understand a good scifi story. I am pretty sure if they put a complex story with a good budget on the desk, than the the product will sell itself. As I have said before there are such a huge competition amongst tv companies and streaming providers that there lots of high-quality scifi on the market. I would like to see that a new SG anthology series / mini-series / spinoff / whatever movie could reach that hype. I like the connections to old storylines and characters, so I am definately against any SG reboot. But I also would like to see that they learn from the past mistakes. I know it is very hard to find the right balance (stand alone vs. metaplot, character moments vs. pure discovery, first contact episodes vs. active space battles etc.).

I wanted to open a "what went wrong" type of thread. And even if I am just an amateur writer (rather an enthusiastic fan), there are a few things what I don't like in Stargate :

1. characters talk in the front, then somebody walks in the background and shout something in the middle of the conversation : this type of scene directing is very common with Landry and Teal'c. It is really-really annoying and I have seen so many examples for it in season 9 and 10. It is simply bad directing.

2. the "we can't take one more hit" type conversation : probably it is used to maintain the suspension of the viewers, but just check the Atlantis season finale. They used it 3 times within one episode. The jumper, the ship and the city. Maybe the writers believed it is funny, like a returning gag, but honestly it is a bit booooooring.

3. Inappropriate character reactions : Daniel expresses his fears and concerns about the Ori in 9x03 then Jack replies that he is hungry. What????!!!!

4. Informations not revealed in main metaplot. Stargate:Origins also suffered from such problems that the extra storyline informations could be found only in episode discriptions. Why?! A good script should involve such things. As I said the new and old viewers are not stupid, so they can follow a story if you put some extra references into the conversations.

I have felt the same how SG-1 changed from season 8 to season 9. I believe that was the biggest step to dig the grave of SG-1. I still remember when I have heard about the first story infos from Avalon on GateWorld, but then nothing was about how Jack left the SGC to move to Washington. Why was the SG-1 disbanded? Why has Carter left? At least later they mentioned she was with Cassie. When have Carter and Jack started a relationship? Why could they not make it officially? How should the viewers know such things? I have heard gossips they wanted to start a new spin-off under the name of Stargate : Command instead of season 9, but then they should have spent an episode on the changes of the main characters. Simply you can't do such things with long-time viewers. They even called back RDA, so they knew that he should stepdown nicely, but even his scenes were a bit odd for me. I mention this only because if they want to start a new spinoff then they should definately mention the fate of SG-1, Atlantis and Universe heroes then we can start to expand the story again.

5. No more removable panels. I have just quickly re-watched the last two seasons of SG-1 and Atlantis. They use this solution way too often. Like no race could manufacture proper screws in the whole galaxy. Sorry to say, but this is also a cheap solution for the door / ring transport problems.

6. Deeper characters : if they make a new spinoff, then I would like to see that they plan ahead what they want to reach with the main characters. Not just with one or two, but all of them. Teyla and Ronon were mostly a bio-decoration in the background, so I would like to see a better team dynamic in teh future. But I have meant not just 1-2 episodes / character per season, rather such skills that they actively participate in the adventure. I felt in the Atlantis they were writing episode around the 2-3 characters per episode, like they would be chosen randomly in the writers' room. I really loved in early SG-1 that the team has fallen into trouble together, but they solved it together.

7. Hopefully a future SG show would return to the gate related adventures. As much as I like space ships, somehow it has changed the show when everybody could be beamed out from danger in the final moments. Stargate should not change into Star Trek or Star Wars, so they should focus on adventures through the gate, imho.
                      Last edited by Platschu; 02 April 2018, 11:38 AM.
                      "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

I read a lot about MGM not responding or anything because they're dealing with internal stuff and a new CEO. That's a load of bull. A massive multi-million dollar company with a dozen subsidiaries and thousands of employees are putting down their work so they can say goodbye to the old CEO and greet the new one? Seriously? Why are they not doing anything about Stargate, while everything else, such as James Bond, is business as usual? That's just crap. They had plenty of time and means to respond and didn't. If anything, they're keeping things close to home and not put out anything that results in wishful thinking. Even then they could at least acknowledge everything that happened and not use vague language to avoid the subject of the "future of Stargate".

They have to step up if what they keep saying is true, or make it clear that it's not happening. Left or right, we deserve, as paying customers and real fans, a straight answer, yes or no. We will definitely not get a complete answer about what kind of Stargate project we're getting, but we do deserve to know what MGM plans to do. The real plan, not "we're working on it" and then months of nothing, only to be (mildly) disappointed (depending on where you live or what your opinion is). If we can anticipate things early (hopefully keeping the hype steadily growing and not overhyping it), then we can slowly establish opinions and not be massively disappointed at release. (Okay, okay, ideal world crap)

Just my opinion and two cents thrown in.

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                          But every time I started or replied a conversation than nobody answered. So how many people use that site activaly? 5000? 500? 50? Because they have said the website is a great success, just simply the likes wouldn't show it at all. So if somebody post something really good than the likes goes up to 30-50-70, but I have never seen anything above 100. Maybe I have been left out from the starting buzz as I have joined only in January or February.
                          I have never seen a post on the feed go over 50 likes. In the news feed there are articles that have over 500 likes, and they are unique likes. You can't like something twice so there's at least a minimum of about 700 members (but those are only the ones taking the time to like something on the feed -- there are a whole lot more who don't go out the streaming zone).

And I have seen a lot of users who never venture onto the message feed, so the crowd there is pretty much the same all the time with little variety to it.

So, they will definitely loose the ones who are only a member for the streaming service when it ends in May. They'll also loose the people who come in for the streaming and the occasional postings of news and articles, and the quizzes perhaps. And then there are the ones on the message feed, who will probably stick around a little while longer until they too will disappear -- and from then on, the site will most likely die a quiet death. It just doesn't have the same appeal as the Gateworld forum where something is going on at all times.

Comment

Ooops. I just realized that I have reacted to the latest GW news in the wrong thread. This is about the Origins, not the potential continuation of the franchise. My bad.

FH: You are right, if they don't announce something then the SG:C would slowly die out. You can't maintain the hype without new materials.

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                              Ooops. I just realized that I have reacted to the latest GW news in the wrong thread. This is about the Origins, not the potential continuation of the franchise. My bad.

FH: You are right, if they don't announce something then the SG:C would slowly die out. You can't maintain the hype without new materials.
                              It's already a ghost town. Such a shame -- great potential, but no will to sustain.

Comment

Originally posted by Langley_forum View Post
                                It's already a ghost town. Such a shame -- great potential, but no will to sustain.
                                I put a lot of people on ignore during Origins because they had no shame spoiling but then I couldn't remember who I put on ignore so I thought it was because of that that I wasn't seeing too many new posts. But I guess, it's just not active enough either way.

Comment

Working...
                                X