The Covid19 thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
    I was asymptomatic. But I have noted an apparent decrease in breathing efficiency during the course of the year. But I never had the feeling I had anything.
    long ago? (covid antibodies dont last long apparently)

Comment

Originally posted by SoulReaver View Post
      long ago? (covid antibodies dont last long apparently)
      First 6 months of the year? It was mid-year when I first noted the breathing issue. But since I never felt sick, I don't know when I might have had CV.

Comment

First 6 months of the year? It was mid-year when I first noted the breathing issue. But since I never felt sick, I don't know when I might have had CV.
        that's many months ago so it's safe to say you're negative now? (for argument sake)

Comment

that's many months ago so it's safe to say you're negative now? (for argument sake)
          Since we don't *know* how long CV antibodies last, I wouldn't make that argument.

Comment

Since we don't *know* how long CV antibodies last, I wouldn't make that argument.
            gotta know so I can explain the rest

antibodies last 5 months tops & we're in november. and you had it first half of the year

Comment

gotta know so I can explain the rest

antibodies last 5 months tops & we're in november. and you had it first half of the year
              Article is conjecture, not known fact. We don't *know* enough about this, particularly when you consider this likely came from a bioweapons lab.

Comment

Article is conjecture, not known fact. We don't *know* enough about this, particularly when you consider this likely came from a bioweapons lab.
                so even for argument's sake you're not willing to conjecture

conclusion: you don't wanna understand

Comment

so even for argument's sake you're not willing to conjecture

conclusion: you don't wanna understand
                  If you want to assume that it's 5 months, or whatever, fine, you can assume I'm antibody-free.

But we don't know enough about this to make this assumption.

Remember, "the world as it is, not as you wish it were".

Comment

If you want to assume that it's 5 months, or whatever, fine, you can assume I'm antibody-free.
                    good (took ur time)

now since you're negative suppose you take the 20/20 test ie. 20% chance of false positive 20% chance of false negative

in this specific case what are the odds of an error?

Comment

good (took ur time)

now since you're negative suppose you take the 20/20 test ie. 20% chance of false positive 20% chance of false negative

in this specific case what are the odds of an error?
                      Possible 20%; the false positive number.

But, since you are taking the test without knowing what you are, you still have to consider both false rates, which total 40%.
                      (If that's where you were going)

Comment

Possible 20%; the false positive number.

But, since you are taking the test without knowing what you are, you still have to consider both false rates, which total 40%.
                        (If that's where you were going)
                        ok let's disregard the 2nd part for a moment - so far you admit for a negative person the chance of error's 20%

now suppose you were positive & took the same test : what would be the chance of error?

Comment

ok let's disregard the 2nd part for a moment - so far you admit for a negative person the chance of error's 20%

now suppose you were positive & took the same test : what would be the chance of error?
                          Same, 20%. But the point is that you don't know what you are. So the full range of 40% applies.

Comment

Leaving out the result (positive or negative) it would depend on past performance.

Out of 100 people the test correctly got a correct positive for 20, & a correct negative for 40, so it is a 60% chance the test is correct

On the other hand it is a 40% chance the test result is wrong
                            http://i.imgur.com/gDxdl9E.gif

​ ​

Comment

I was asymptomatic. But I have noted an apparent decrease in breathing efficiency during the course of the year. But I never had the feeling I had anything.

But we don't know enough about this to make this assumption.

Remember, "the world as it is, not as you wish it were".
                              I had the antibodies test. Negative results. I was sick in December (2019) and January (2020) for 6 weeks with a "mysterious" cold virus. Doctor noted it as bronchitis. With stuffy nose, of course you can't breathe or smell... that's part of a cold illness's symptoms. In March 2020, I was less than 4 feet from my neighbor while she was trying to show me a picture on her phone, what the hospital staff failed to do to protect her husband. He did not have any virus. He was unsupervised and fell, while under cancer treatments, but never got the COVID-19 virus. She got seriously sick a week later (after visiting her hubby at the hospital) and tested Positive for COVID-19. I was exposed one more time a month later to someone else who was "positive" for COVID-19. A month later after the 2nd known COVID-19 encounter, I got the antibody test and it was Negative.

So, how is that even possible?
                              I said before it was probably the zinc factor, which I increased my dosage about a week after get sick again with a horrid cough in December 2019. I have heard that extra zinc helps restore health levels and is an immune fighter against all sorts of nasty "bugs/viruses". So, I took more than usual, and kept it at that level months later when I read about zinc being a COVID-19 fighter.

I also increased my zinc and C levels because I had fallen and literally scraped my hand down to the bare bone. I had to completely seal the wound, because I was still coughing and sneezing the entire time my hand was being treated for sterilizing and healing. I was more worried about getting MRSA than COVID-19, also because COVID-19 was supposedly on the other side of the planet then. My mom died many years ago from a MRSA infection... scary, puss stuff!

However, one of my co-workers decided to visit China (because he wanted to see the Great Wall of China, etc.) in October 2019 and returned with a nasty cough that lasted over a month. He passed me in the hallway and coughed into my direction... thanks bud... Naturally, I got sick with icky germs and ended up with that same coughing spell. COVID-something? IDK. It was a Corona-something-virus. Sure seemed strange that he went to China and returned to the USA with symptoms of the COVID-19 virus 2 months before it became NEWS news in the USA.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                                Wear a damn bloody mask! It's not that hard.
                                . . .
                                If there are other people around and social distance cannot be maintained, it should be common sense to mask up.
                                My dear FH, I do wear the blasted mask. I work with (proof-read) OSHA regulations for compliance training ... No need to hammer the rules and regs down on my head, when I send those same regulations out to the general public. And I think COVID-19 has opened a new training course in medical/any work-place compliance, but I'm not involved with it yet.

In the grocery store, especially if someone is coughing, I boogey out of that location ASAP. It's not because of COVID-19 either. I had decided after last year's bout with the "mystery virus" that I -- because of aging factors making my cold/sore throats getting worse and worse into pneumonia territory, that I was not going to risk chances of letting someone else's germs linger over me, IF it could be avoided. I can't breathe when I get that sick. I have to sleep on top of 5 to 7 pillows putting me at nearly an 80 degree position with menthol near my nose, and that is difficult to do (if side-sleeping) with a spine already out of proper alignment. So, I have other reasons why I don't like getting cold-bugs. Nyquil helps, but it doesn't always work.

My sister died due to re-occurring pneumonia putting her into the hospital with antibiotics and oxygen generators. I did not want to go thru that. So, for my own reasons, I avoid people especially if they are coughing more than the casual "swallowed food down the wrong hatch". Congestion can also happen with allergies, if the allergy medicine is overdue to be taken. That also produces major coughing fits. I understand all that. With COVID-19, it's more than just the coughing and more than just the lungs being affected (now anyway).

However, there are times when I think some people are being a bit TOO extreme in their paranoia of this virus, when you are about 99% certain your coworker does not have a cold or COVID-like virus. That is the irker. I have seen at least 5 people where I work freak out at 25 feet away, if they see another person walking down the hall... ummm. 6 feet isn't far enough for them. Hallway is about 8 feet wide with plenty of room for 2-way traffic... nope! Not good enough. Move away at 25 feet and don't even try getting near at ten feet even when both persons are wearing the mask! This is the paranoia fear I have to work with.

Yet, it's okay to come into an office staying at 8 feet apart from each other??? Seriously? The paranoid person just broke their own fear code in that case. If you're going to be a hypocrit, then stop being so freaking paranoid when passing someone in the hallway! Being in the restroom is even funnier when you know you are literally less than 3 feet from the person in the next stall... with only a divider wall between your germs... and some people like radiating smelly odors in those areas, which the mask definitely helps reduce some of the intake fumes...!

BTW, there are times when I'd prefer wearing a face shield + mask (filtered, of course!). Some of our local food market workers have both, which seems wise, as some nursing staff workers triple their mask layers, but don't have the plastic shield protector for their eyes.

Oh, and it may also be wise to wash your face, if coming in contact with questionable germ contact, as well as gargling with (Listerine-strength) mouthwash for extra preventative measures effort, too. I was doing this automatically in addition to the excessive hand washing, when some relatives discovered this info months later down the road... I told them I had already been doing that, and they thought it was good advice... and added that people should have been doing this all along, ever since the news of the virus first came out. Ummm... good sanitary health measures always help... I worked in a nursing home years ago, and learned from one of the workers there that -- that was the safe way to stay as healthy as possible. My coworker there said that "Listermint" wasn't strong enough to kill germs/etc., it had to be ickky Listerine (strength level).
                                Last edited by SGalisa; 21 November 2020, 10:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X