Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Defying Gravity - News/Articles/Discussion (Spoilers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To be honest I zoned in an out during the two hour premier but from what I remember of it I enjoyed. Unless something comes up next week I'm still interested enough to keep watching it.
    River Tam: My food is problematic.

Comment

Liked it a lot more than I liked Virtuality. I can see it having some of the same issues, but for now I'm happy to keep watching.

Comment

Whoa i thought this was discussion about the song , there is a song from the musical Wicked ? just saying !
        sigpic
        May the odds be ever in your Favor ! oh and please say hello to me on Skype and Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by MIZA View Post
          Whoa i thought this was discussion about the song , there is a song from the musical Wicked ? just saying !
          I know. I hear the song every time I see the title. LOL!

Comment

Just watch the first part, and Ron moor better be taking notes because this is how you do scifi and soap opera combine. Awesome series with a lot of protential, an at least from where I was looking no blatantly obvious mistakes either in technology or the script unlike Virtuality. An for a bbc funded production the special effects were good and easily compete with anything else on tv.

Not sure if it got six seasons worth of story, but there one planet person season so who knows, there are certainly questions already popping up in my mind and hopefully they will be answered before the series ends.

Onto the second episode, if I can find it that is.

Edit just watch the second episode and it was better than the first part which is a good sign. So to the mission women is the only one in direct contact with what ever beta is, I also predict that it can predict or knows the future an the engineer was place on the ship for the sole reason of saving the Blonde hair women.
            The space still continue amaze me in the episode, I tempt to wip out Maya an start modeling. I like the way it uses ion engines for it populsion systems, well they look like Ion engines anyway.
            Not to sure of what the point the embryo experiments are, from what I got it seem like the beging of experimenting with ways to modified our genetic structure to make us more suitable for space travel.
            Beta also seem to cause the accident with the airlock door opening, this is fast becoming a standard space opera story.
            The actors also seem to be doing a good job to, so there none that I can point out that doing a bad job at the moment.
            Liking the talk over, obviously they took that from Heroes.
            Cannot wait until they get to Venus.
            Also anyone else think that they found beta on there mars mission. An I also want to know what did it do garner such trust from mission control, going to be interesting to see further development on that story front.
            Last edited by knowles2; 03 August 2009, 06:58 AM.

Comment

I definitely liked this more then Virtuality which pushed the reality TV theme far too much, especially since I hate reality TV. If I wanted to watch reality TV there is certainly plenty of it on TV already.

Also the crew seems to get along with each other better compared with Virtuality where it appears that they were chosen because they did not get along. The whole time I was watching Virtuality I kept on wondering who in their right mind would put these people together in the same room, let alone on the same spaceship. It does not mean they can’t have personally conflicts in space (that is what part of the drama is about) but they should at least not start out with such high levels of conflict.

I do plan on watching the followon episodes

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                Liking the talk over, obviously they took that from Heroes.
                Or Desperate Housewives. Or Kyle XY. Or Outer Limits. Or any of probably half a dozen other shows that also use(d) voice-overs.

Comment

Ugh. I really didn't like it. Won't be making an effort to watch this.

Spoiler:
                  It jumped around too much with the flashbacks.

Some of the situations where just plain stupid. How much friggin line was there for that tether and why did it all just unwind and then not have some kind of motor to reel it back in? Donner runs out the door and blasts off in a rescue capsule in less than 8 hours to go save that guy? The Indian guy and others actually thought he could remain in the program after having a meltdown. Needing to know how to swim to go to space? Space hatches are that easy to open?

I don't like the majority of the characters or the actors. I don't like their personalities or they are mental cases...well except the math guy who couldn't swim (and why does having the ability to swim have any bearing on going to space??)...I like him. Who screened these people? Apparently it's some kind of conspiracy, but why?

If there is a killer computer on board, I hope it kills them all except for the math dude.

I did not watch Virtuality so I'm not comparing the two.
                  IMO always implied.

Comment

I was mildly impressed by DG, and I'll definitely continue watching. The effects and sets were great, the flashbacks I found interesting and a clever way to tie in tidbits of the characters' backgrounds in context with the "present day" events, and the conspiracy mystery seems like a creepy hook.

Originally posted by LoneStar1836 View Post
                    Spoiler:
                    Some of the situations where just plain stupid. How much friggin line was there for that tether and why did it all just unwind and then not have some kind of motor to reel it back in?
                    I agree, that was just silly.

Spoiler:
                    Donner runs out the door and blasts off in a rescue capsule in less than 8 hours to go save that guy?
                    No,
                    Spoiler:
                    they said there was already a scheduled supply ship going up to the Antares; I believe it was originally supposed to be unmanned, but was equipped to accommodate passengers if needed.

Spoiler:
                    Needing to know how to swim to go to space?
                    So that the candidates can perform exercises on Earth that simulate weightlessness. Standard ops for astronauts.

Spoiler:
                    Who screened these people? Apparently it's some kind of conspiracy, but why?
                    If they answered that question in the first two episodes, there wouldn't be much of a mystery story for the rest of the series, now would there?
                    (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                    Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Watched the pilot (probably watch episode 2 tomorrow), i quite enjoyed it. Nice characterization, bit of mystery, interesting flashbacks. If the 2nd ep holds or improves the standard of the pilot, no doubt that ill keep watching.

Comment

ABC's 'Gravity' among the firstrun casualties

ABC's astronaut drama "Defying Gravity" was among the firstrun casualties, opening to puny numbers

<snip>

ABC's "Defying Gravity," an international co-production, settled for a 1.1 rating/3 share in adults 18-49 and 3.7 million viewers overall -- about on par with the net's delivery with repeats in the 9-11 p.m. time period the previous week.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...&cs=1&nid=4749

Comment

Originally posted by Madwelshboy View Post
                          ABC's 'Gravity' among the firstrun casualties

ABC's astronaut drama "Defying Gravity" was among the firstrun casualties, opening to puny numbers

<snip>

ABC's "Defying Gravity," an international co-production, settled for a 1.1 rating/3 share in adults 18-49 and 3.7 million viewers overall -- about on par with the net's delivery with repeats in the 9-11 p.m. time period the previous week.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...&cs=1&nid=4749
                          Did ABC advertise it much? I only knew it was going to be on because I read about it on the Web.

Comment

i watched the two hour premier. here's my thoughts...

Spoiler:
                            i liked it, but didn't love it. there were aspects i really enjoyed. like...

pros-
                            beautiful space shots.
                            i like the crew sending back video for others to see. (like the teaching classes)
                            ship between characters.
                            interesting concept.
                            i liked the lead actor/hero. i felt very bad for him when he had to leave those two behind on mars.
                            space!

cons-
                            the way the ship was handled. like the married couple that starts making out in front of the cameras. shouldn't these professional ppl have considered taking their actions into a more private setting? are any of these ppl even military?

i'm not real crazy about the actress they picked (the blond). she's kind of weird... i don't know how else to describe it. and her character spent a lot of time whining about this or that.

again, i adore ship, but i also adore professional ppl acting professionally too. and i'm not talking about subtle ship (have had it up to HERE with subtle), but just let them show that side of themselves at the appropriate times.

i wasn't that impressed with any of the female cast.

~~~

what was it that was wrong with the first commander (and second in command?) that made them have to go back to earth? i had the volume down too low then to hear it.

and what did the director of the program mean about letting them go on this mission, without them 'knowing' what?

overall, i enjoyed this, but i'd make some changes. i'll stick with it because i love space stuff, and i'm intrigued enough to want to know what's going to happen. but i hope they fix some of those probs i'm having.

Last edited by majorsal; 03 August 2009, 02:48 PM. Reason: put in spoilers. oops
                            sally

sigpic

Comment

Spoiler:
                              Donner runs out the door and blasts off in a rescue capsule in less than 8 hours to go save that guy? The Indian guy and others actually thought he could remain in the program after having a meltdown.
                              Spoiler:
                              those two i quoted, yes. i found them

Spoiler:
                              I don't like the majority of the characters or the actors.
                              Spoiler:
                              i didn't really like them either, but i'm not the easiest person to please in the casting department. the lead actor/character yes, and the husband that had to go back, yes. but the others just were alright, especially in the female casting department. but i'm the hardest in that category, because i want to live through the females so i get more picky on what actresses they choose.

Spoiler:
                              If there is a killer computer on board,
                              Spoiler:
                              boy did i need to have the volume up earlier in the eps. i missed that entire thing.
                              sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
                                Spoiler:
                                boy did i need to have the volume up earlier in the eps. i missed that entire thing.
                                I don't see it that way at all.
                                Spoiler:
                                AFAIC the airlock opened because Beta willed it. And yeah, maybe Beta is a "computer" of some sort, but I'd classify that as "alien tech." If you're looking for a "killer computer" go back to Virtuality. LOL!

As for what happened to Rollie & Ajay, they both developed... heart issues. Plaque buildup in the arteries or something. For a short-term mission it wouldn't have been a big deal, but given the duration of the flight it could have been life-threatening so they were sent back to Earth. Given the astronomical odds against such a thing occurring, it's clear (as mud) that Beta interfered and caused the health issue in order to get Ted and Wossname on the mission.

Comment

Working...
                                X