Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Eli fix the Stasis pod or come up with another solution?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Xaeden View Post
    I chose to ignore that point and simply assume that it was possible for the sake of argument as I am more interested in discussing the logistics of a time reversal field within a forward moving ship.
    Understood. Now considering that there have been examples of such technology (the planets where humans are *fast-tracking* ascension (when Shep gets stuck in the cave)) it could be possible as we don't know the exact timeline.

If time is reversing for the whole universe it wouldn't really matter. Once it stops reversing everything is going to play out exactly as it did previously unless the crew of the Destiny are aware of the reversal and make contact with someone outside of their ship earlier than they otherwise would have. In that case, they'd initiate a butterfly effect scenario where their small communication creates a ripple that will lead to bigger changes over time.
    I understand the time dilation field being a localized event, and as you said would be hard to fathom given the Destiny is moving much faster than, for instance the Replicators on the Asgard homeworld. Time dilation I'd say maybe.

Local time reversal though is the one I can't wrap my head around, you would have exotic particles technically coming out of a different universe meddling with those of the current non-reversed universe and cause havoc, wouldn't it?

A time dilation field would sufficiently do that, so I'm not sure why he brought the concept of time reversal into this.
    It's an interesting proposal, I've read about countless theories of Eli reaching the galaxy and this one I haven't heard before. I still think that relativity would kind of nullify the effects from the POV of the Destiny crew, the ship would move faster without any apparent difference for the crew. Unless, as perhaps Railgun suggests, that somehow the Destiny adapts it's FTL field into a time dilation field that would pass through subspace at higher speeds. Interesting.
    Spoiler:
    I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

A time dilation field would sufficiently do that, so I'm not sure why he brought the concept of time reversal into this.
      I think the time reversal idea just popped into my head at the last minute and perhaps is not as fully thought through as the time dilation one. As you say it's not necessary to reverse time to achieve the goal of getting Eli to the next galaxy alive.

The reason why one lead to the other in my mind is that I was trying to work out, if time is stood still on-board at the speed of light then what would happen to time on-board at speeds greater than light?

I can think of some other shows where travel faster than light is linked to time reversal (although these are not SG shows). eg think Superman in the first movie. SM flies round earth so fast time reverses and Lois comes back from the dead.

The Destiny drive is referred to as FTL (faster than light) but I'm not sure there is actually any information given in show as to the actual speed that Destiny is travelling through space in FTL? Or even if it does go faster than light all the time in FTL.

I suppose there is a question if Destiny is travelling faster than light then what are the ordinary implications of this on time.
      I get what you say that if time was going backwards everywhere Destiny would be travelling backwards in space, but we know that Destiny is not travelling backwards since they are using FTL and have travelled a long way forward since it was launched.

Perhaps the effect of time going backwards is limited to going backwards at the speed of light, and any ship exceeding this speed going forward would still go forward at the difference between its speed minus the speed of light? Thus having some forward motion in space even with reversing time. (There is really nothing to base this on though..it would just depend on how the writers decided to do it)

I probably would need a Stargate re-watch to fully form a cogent argument on the time reversal aspects, it's a while since I last saw unending.
      Last edited by Railgun; 28 May 2019, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Railgun View Post
        I suppose there is a question if Destiny is travelling faster than light then what are the ordinary implications of this on time.
        From my understanding, none. In a nutshell FTL is a thin layer of hyperspace but not completely in it, kind of at the junction of normal space.

Destiny travels through normal space like a ghost would travel our world, the ghost can interact in some limited ways with our plane but just zips through walls as much as Destiny can be affected by gravity pulls, say a supernova going off while being in FTL.

Pseudo scientific babble aside, in the show we don't see any effects on time. They had the communication stones which means that if FTL did have an effect on time they would've noticed when contact with HQ was made. Besides there's a reason why relativity is always ignored in sci-fi's, unless it's the principal theme of a movie relativity would make story telling next to impossible.

meanwhile on the planet Bonkers 5.63 years have passed, the colonel enters the room two minutes after beaming in from the Galaxy of Bazanga. He meets his old friend that been waiting for him in the temple for the past 20 years.
        Spoiler:
        I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
          They had the communication stones which means that if FTL did have an effect on time they would've noticed when contact with HQ was made.
          Good point.

Comment

Originally posted by Railgun View Post
            I can think of some other shows where travel faster than light is linked to time reversal (although these are not SG shows). eg think Superman in the first movie. SM flies round earth so fast time reverses and Lois comes back from the dead.
            I'm not sure the intent of the movie is that time reversed because he flew faster than light. That may be something fans/comic book writers have put forth to make it more palatable than the idea that he can reverse time by reversing the rotation of a planet, which is how most people interpret that scene. I don't know if the filmmakers ever weighed in on this, though.

In any case, you're right, the idea that time travel becomes possible if you travel faster than the speed of light is certainly not uncommon in fiction.

Comment

In any case, you're right, the idea that time travel becomes possible if you travel faster than the speed of light is certainly not uncommon in fiction.
              Agreed, and that's also proven science you don't even need to achieve FTL to do that (atomic clock experiment, some areas on Earth where time flows faster too (think it has something to do with electromagnetic fields being more concentrated in certain spots)).
              Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
                Agreed, and that's also proven science you don't even need to achieve FTL to do that (atomic clock experiment, some areas on Earth where time flows faster too (think it has something to do with electromagnetic fields being more concentrated in certain spots)).
                Slight clarification: Yes, you're completely correct that science demonstrates that time will slow as you achieve greater speeds. What I was referring to, though, was what happens after you break the speed of light, a theoretical impossibility for which there is no way of knowing what would happen if (and that's a big if) it were possible. Because it's an unknown hypothetical, fiction writers have crafted stories where it is possible and then inserted their own explanations. A reasonably popular one is that it will allow you to travel back in time, which is an extension of us knowing that time slows down as you approach the speed of light. The idea that there is a certain point where you're going so fast that you'll travel back in time has a certain logical flow to it within a fictional setting, but that's just a fun science fiction idea that has no real world science to support it.

Comment

I just stumbled onto this

What if you traveled faster than the speed of light?

According to Einstein, if Superman were to chase a light beam at half the speed of light, the beam would continue to move away from him at exactly the same speed.
                  And this would be relevant to Destiny's case...

If you flew on a rocket traveling 90 percent of light-speed, the passage of time for you would be halved. Your watch would advance only 10 minutes, while more than 20 minutes would pass for an Earthbound observer.
                  So safe to assume that Railgun was correct in his statement that time SHOULD slow down for the crew of Destiny, which is very interesting but we must concur with the canon of the show that Destiny's FTL has no effect on time whatsoever.
                  Last edited by Chaka-Z0; 30 May 2019, 08:21 AM.
                  Spoiler:

Comment

Yeah he'd either have to modify the subspace engines to travel at near light speeds like the Tria did or find a way to create an artificial time dilation field while the ship was in subspace. The former is problematic as it would delay their journey to the next galaxy by tens of thousands of years and presumably this would use significantly more energy than the FTL engine does. The latter is possible if the technology exists in the Destiny, but that would be an additional energy sink and they already barely have enough energy to make it through the void. I think that's why Railgun was trying to envision it as something the FTL engines can already do.

Comment

I think that little shudder you get when Destiny enters FTL is the time dilation technology activating. It would not make much sense that time would only alter for a split second at the start of an FTL journey.

If time is going to be affected, ether at sub light speeds (as per science) and at FTL speeds (subject to fiction) It would not be the most likely consequence that time judders a bit then proceeds as normal, IMO. I think it would have to affect the whole journey.

So I think it's a case that the time dilation field is always activated when the ship goes into FTL and hacking it could change the passage of time on-board to the advantage of Eli. It is the time dilation field in ordinary mode that makes time go at the same speed as normal(at rest) despite the speed of the ship and the laws of relativity saying it should do otherwise.(I don't think this breaks canon. Time is seen in show to go as normal, but the time dilation field is automatically activated by Destiny to accomplish this.)

Since the time dilation field is already active I do not see it consuming more energy, when hacked, than the calculations already done to get to the next galaxy, but of course it could.
                      Last edited by Railgun; 01 June 2019, 08:26 AM.

Comment

Another idea I have been playing with is that Eli changes his mind, heads for a star to recharge. Yes they'd have to fight once more but a good chance of winning. Once the star is captured the ship could stay defending that star and use the gate to establish bases on planets/get supplies.

Destiny would be able to collect energy at any time from the star so would be fully powered up to fend off any further attacks also could retreat into the star if need be for protection.

They could maybe make a spin-off out of this with teams using the gates SG1 style.

Comment

I just realized how giant this thread is, maybe we're thinking of this all wrong, we are focusing on what we can do to make the journey last longer on board destiny, but the better situation is that Destiny is on its last leg and the crew has run out of time and figuring out what to do, the ship is running low on power resources and it won't likely make that Gap to the other side of the other Galaxy.

Now now I know that the comic existed to create a resolution for this series, I personally didn't like the whole idea behind two ancients that have been sitting in the ship cryo sleep for millions on millions on millions of years, I thought that was kind of bad writing, but it is what it is.

I I once came up with a theory that is a proof of concept given the technology that Earth is now capable of because they now have access to the asgards technology, so the basic idea is to use the communication stones to essentially transfer somebody's mind into a clone body, the body itself could essentially be anybody, the crew on board Destiny are running out of options, let's say for example they use the communication stones to transfer their conscious minds into a clone body per person has their own clone body, while their bodies on the destiny essentially die, basically this allows that they still get to live, where otherwise they may have not lived due to the circumstances of destiny's condition as well as what the database consisted of, but let's just say for the stories sake that Eli or Rush were able to fix the stones to also take information via the destiny's entire capacity computer mission log information to be downloaded and transferred to the Asgard core via communication Stone, because after all a person's consciousness is just information, so they could take off with everything that the destiny collected over those millions of years and take it with them, the ship itself and everything within the ship is pretty much dead and the crew will get to live within new cloned bodies, maybe the SGC has their DNA on file maybe they have literal DNA samples of everybody, maybe this information is put into the Asgard core which is able to create a clone body for them to transfer their consciousness into.

It's not perfect, but it ensures that people will live through it, and they have the technology for all of these things, and we already know that it works, remember Gin? You know, the girl who liked Eli who ended up getting her throat slit as as her body died and so did the other girl on the opposite side, however Gin's mind was preserved via communication Stone Network and was downloaded into Chloe's mind when Chloe used the device.

Eventually the crew found out, and they didn't have any body to put her conscious mind into, but they did put her mind into the mainframe of the destiny and it was completely intact.

Now imagine using this same method to transfer everybody's minds into a clone body on Earth using the Asgard core storing their minds in a clone body, maybe the SGC doesn't have everyone's DNA file, so maybe they have to find someone else's DNA to transfer somebody's mind within?

We already know that some of these actors may not come back to the show, in which the writers would have to create some type of work around situation where these people would end up in the bodies of clones that are not of their own, but they are the same people.

I've had this theory for a while, and I've expressed it on youtube, and I've never used this website up until today. Mostly cuz I couldn't stand the format here, but right now I'm using it to publish this idea whether people read it or not LOL, this place seems a hell of a whole lot more accurate than all the places I've posted all of my ideas, and I would rather go somewhere where people are using it.

Comment

Here is what i see
                            Eli fixes the pod and enters it......a story line can happen for this
                            Eli doesn't fix the pod, and does the same thing as Franklin......a story line can happen for this
                            Eli, while trying to fix the pod, realizes something else......and this becomes my take

season 3 opening, Destiny has dropped out of FTL and Eli is bring Young, Rush and Chloe out of stasis. He brings them out to tell them his new idea, an obvious idea.
                            He purposes the attack of another command ship, and once destroyed, to recover all of the drones, and reprogram them to protect Destiny, then magnetize them to the hull of the ship

Rush agrees that this is possible, and with Chloe doing the calculations, they should easily be able to accomplish it.

Young is agrees, and they proceed to wake everyone else up.

The first two runs go smoothly, this could be the first two episodes. First run, first episode, they destroy the command ship successfully, and they start magnetizing the drones, but sadly, they only get maybe 25. But they can recharge. This episode ends with them preparing for the next drop out.

The second episode opens with them dropping out. Each time they drop out, Chloe is getting better and better with her calculations. This time, they drop out in perfect range, and before a single drone gets off the command ship, they blow it up. There is talk about being able to stay in the galaxy, but more importantly, Rush is talking with Young, Greer, and Scott about allowing the drones to get off the command ship, this was after all the entire reason. As they are waiting to jump back into FTL, another command ship shows up, and begins attacking. The Destiny drones begin their defense. They end up destroying the command ship, and are left with a total of 30, maybe 35 drones.

The next couple of episodes are just getting more drones and more supplies, as they can now easily use the stargates without serious issues. However, somewhere around the 6th episode, they now have just destroyed another command ship, and it was perfect timing. They now have 90+ drones that they can attach. They attach all of them, but find that Destiny now, will not jump to FTL. Rush ends up saying that it was bound to happen, that the weight would be too much, that there must be a limit to how many drones they can carry. 5 by 5, they get down to 50 drones, and finally, Destiny jumps back into FTL.

Episodes 7 and 8, the command ships start gatekeeping the stars in packs of 3......they are learning. Eli is having difficulty with all of the drones being from different command ships, the code to recognize Destiny works, but, as the Destiny drones are not attacking Destiny, they are attacking each other. And they are trying to work around this.

In episode 8, Rush and Eli have brought 2 drones into Destiny to work on the coding, and Destiny runs into more command ships, rather, 3 command ships come to them. The drones outside, launch, Destiny ultimately succeeds, and before any more command ships can come, they attach their 50, and jump. Rush and Eli go to the bridge to find out what the damage is, and how many drones they have left. Young informs them that, as they did take more than a little damage, they currently have 50 drones. Rush and Eli look at each other, you mean 48 drones? Young confirms that they indeed have 50 drones attached. And one of the few cases, Rush says, "well, it seems like i was wrong"
                            They end up realizing that they can only have 50 magetized to the hull at any point in time, but that they can have they entire Destiny filled with as many as they want. But they are still having difficulty getting the drones to not attack each other.

By episode 10, they have worked out the communication of the drones, and they have started stock piling as many drones as they can, into the ship. Rush has also been, in his down time, trying to understand more information they they got from the seed ship.

Episode 11, Rush finally has a preliminary concept of some of the information. It turns out that the structure of the CMB is infact a message, and, after millions of years of acquiring parts of that message, they now have a small fraction of it.
                            It speaks of a race of beings who were indeed, alive at the big bang.

Season 4 goes into more detail of the message.
                            The race were humans......this will end up being the second evolution of humans, the ancients are the third, and the Tauri are the 4th.....but this won't be figured out for quite some time
                            There was a universe that existed before ours. Rush gets to talk alot of theoretical physics here. The idea of the big rip. Their universe was on a path to the big rip, and Rush explains what that meant. This race created a device to try to halt the expansion of their universe, but in doing so, the screwed up, and caused the universe to contract. They caused the end of their universe, and it kept contracting to a singularity. This was still going to take 1000's of years, but they knew what they had done.
                            Many of them ended up ascending, and many stayed in physical form. These ascended did not have an issue with interacting with the lower realms, there was constant interaction between them.
                            Those who remained physical, were trying to out run the collapse, and those who were ascended, monitored the collapse.
                            When the collapse happened, there were some ascended who were caught in the collapse, and collapsed in with the universe, some of the ascended had escaped, and told those who had escaped who were physical.
                            Their universe continued to collapse for many years, until ultimately, the big bang of our universe happened.

Obviously there will be more to the message, but this is the beginning of the message. The message can even be shorter than this, with some gaps that can be extrapolated. But it does turn out to be a message.....about the universe before this one.....presenting the theory of the big bounce as being how our universe came into be. But what caused the bounce back is not yet explained.

It will turn out that, when the second evolution of humans learned to ascend, they imposed the rules of none interference, and those from the previous, accepted it, as they were seeing what was happening. This will also explain what the Ori were actually worshipping in the first place.....and when they found out that those previous ascended were once humans, that knowledge ultimately corrupted them into taking on the god role

Now, the message aside, Destiny is still dealing with the command ships. They drop out of FTL, right into a battle that is already happening. Destiny destroys the command ship, and finds out that it was attacking their descendents. Destiny rescues them, and they are now able to get an entire crew, far more advanced than our main cast, as they had 2000 years of advancements. So Destiny accompanies them to a new home world, and many chose to stay with Destiny

The crew now realizes that, for all they are doing for themselves, the command ships are a real threat to this galaxy, and they decide that, with their new ability to take on 100's of drones, and with the help of the Novans to get the drone codes working together, they need to literally save this galaxy by wiping out all of the command ships entirely.

Season 4 will see Destiny ultimately finding the home world, where it turns out that the command ships ultimately turned on their creators, as, they were different from them. The command ships will be an AI, essentially, the SGU's version of replicators, but nothing so evasive as previously seen....the AI is simply one that constantly manufactures an ever increasing number of command ships and drones.

The ending of season 4 will ultimately see the home world blown up, but, the AI is still out there in the form of the last remaining command ships. Over all of this time with Destiny, the crew has been able to make significant repairs, especially with all of the excess drones that they had been gathering....plugging up holes, etc. And with more holes plugged, they find out that they were able to have more drones magnetized to the hull.
                            The Novans were also working with Destiny to destroy the drones, and at the end of season 4, we see Destiny leave the galaxy, finally resuming the mission.
                            It will also introduce, an unknown concept, it turns out that, since the opening of season 3, Eli had not had physical contact with anyone, and the reason why, is because he had used the chair, and it was him being uploaded to Destiny, that caused him to be able to come up with this idea of the drones, and all of his geeking out over things that Rush was telling him, was to continue the deception of him still being physically human.

Ultimately, i would have Destiny become its own sentient entity, using Johansen's baby as the canvas of a growing intelligence. In the end, only Destiny will be left. Eli will be quarantined, or ultimately deleted in the end.
                            The Destiny will end up in a hard reboot of all of Stargate. A new series, that starts with the Air Force on earth, and NASA discovering Destiny coming into the solar system. This will actually be a new universe. In short, NASA and the Air Force will have information from Voyager 1, showing a foreign object travelling faster than light. Continued monitoring, the object will drop out of FTL at the edge of the Oort cloud, but continue at light speed, until it gets to Mars' orbit. By this time, Earth has determined that it is a ship, and heading for earth. It finally gets to earth, and goes into orbit. Earth launches a shuttle to get upto Destiny, not knowing anything about it. It turns out, Destiny was launched, in years, 93 followed by a billion zeros, years ago. Slowly, it is revealed that Destiny was launched from an earth in a different universe. It had travelled to the edge of its universe, and kept going. It would eventually drop out of FTL because of the lack of stars, and it eventually drifted into another universe, and once it came in counter with a star in this universe, it was able to recharge, and get back underway, eventually arriving to this earth. The humans of this earth gradually learn about Destiny, and alot of keno footage with lots of flashbacks, allowing for the crew to have aged.

Comment

Working...
                            X