did the Ancients create the Wraith?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mckay221 View Post
    I love Atlantis more then most people which is why i thought of this, and it has to do with the wraith. We all know that they evolved from those bugs who's name i can't spell. Those bugs would have to evolve them selves to feed off humans then evolve more to become the human form wraith. Then after all that is done, they have to invent all their tech.
    The problem I have is that it is impossible for all of this to happen in a few million years. To go from a bug to human form would take billions of years. But this would be possible if the evelution was "helped" along artificially. I think this is possible, I mean look at all their other major, pointless and deadly screw ups
    The bugs absorbed human DNA. The bugs are not humans. The Wraith are not humans. The Wraith are human form bugs. Basically.

Comment

No, the Ancients did not create he Wraith. They are a cross beteween human and Iratus bug but they are more humanoind than they are bugs, of course

Comment

I don't really understand the DNA mixing part. We as humans eat all sorts of things, I have yet to turn in to one of them. Now, proceed with the "you are what you eat jokes..."

Comment

Depending on whether you regard the SGA Legacy novels as canon (I know some people are against novels being canon), the Ancients did indeed create the Wraith.

Spoilers for book content.
          Spoiler:
          According to Legacy, a fraction of Ancients did some secret experiments, treating ordinary humans with an iratus bug gene therapy. The aim was to circumvent the need for ascension to achieve immortality. Experimenting proved to be a severe failure with many humans killed and those that did survive turning into the first Wraith. These escaped from the Ancient testing facility and spread across the galaxy. Well, the rest is history.

Comment

Originally posted by Draco-Stellaris View Post
            Depending on whether you regard the SGA Legacy novels as canon (I know some people are against novels being canon), the Ancients did indeed create the Wraith.

Spoilers for book content.
            Spoiler:
            According to Legacy, a fraction of Ancients did some secret experiments, treating ordinary humans with an iratus bug gene therapy. The aim was to circumvent the need for ascension to achieve immortality. Experimenting proved to be a severe failure with many humans killed and those that did survive turning into the first Wraith. These escaped from the Ancient testing facility and spread across the galaxy. Well, the rest is history.
            I could guess people are against that because I think more people watched the show than read the books

Comment

Yes, that's probably the main reason why most people don't regard books as canon. I have to admit I do have trouble with some novels as well (especially if characters are not written well) but personally, I rather like Legacy because the Wraith are portrayed much more extensive than in the show, and with much more depth, too. Anyway, just wanted to throw the information out in case there's still interest in the discussion and different versions of Wraith origin.

Comment

Oh but such things are nice to know at least imo, even though it contradicts a bit what they say in the show...then again, I am not sure if their actual origin is all that clear, the way I said before.
                Thinking about it now, I cannot remember if it was ever really said, that this is how they came to be, or if that was only how the people on Atlantis thought it was and not investigated that further

Comment

There are two questions I wish had been answered on the show -

1) What did Iratus bugs feed on before the Ancients seeded their home planet with humans?

2) Why didn't Iratus bugs evolve into a hybrid form of their original food animals?
                  sigpic

Comment

Ah, the questions that would have spiced the story! Technically, there should be more iratus hybrids out there. So this could indeed be the proof that the Ancients (or any other technological advanced race) did genetic engineering and created the Wraith. Otherwise, there would be more natural iratus hybrids.

The bugs could've fed on any living creature that populated their home world, as long as the prey meets certain requirements, e.g. being warm-blooded. There really was so much information missing on the show!

Comment

Originally posted by ciannwn View Post
                      There are two questions I wish had been answered on the show -

1) What did Iratus bugs feed on before the Ancients seeded their home planet with humans?

2) Why didn't Iratus bugs evolve into a hybrid form of their original food animals?
                      Oh those questions would be enough to think about for a new discussion thread

For the first question, I think the same as Draco

The second question, well yes, why actualy not?
                      I could think maybe they fed of other insects *shrugs*

Comment

Technically, there should be more iratus hybrids out there. So this could indeed be the proof that the Ancients (or any other technological advanced race) did genetic engineering and created the Wraith. Otherwise, there would be more natural iratus hybrids.
                        If Iratus hybrids can only feed on the animal they are a hybrid with maybe the hybrids ate all the available food and then died of starvation.

The bugs could've fed on any living creature that populated their home world, as long as the prey meets certain requirements, e.g. being warm-blooded. There really was so much information missing on the show!
                        It doesn't make sense to me that Wraith can only feed on humans. It's like saying that spiders can only feed on spiders or lions can only eat lions.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Az'ryel View Post
                          The second question, well yes, why actualy not?
                          I could think maybe they fed of other insects *shrugs*
                          Originally posted by ciannwn View Post
                          If Iratus hybrids can only feed on the animal they are a hybrid with maybe the hybrids ate all the available food and then died of starvation.

It doesn't make sense to me that Wraith can only feed on humans. It's like saying that spiders can only feed on spiders or lions can only eat lions.
                          Exactly! It would really make much more sense if they had a variety of food. On the other hand, there are species on earth who specialize on only one food course, like pandas for example. (Which is quite dumb, evolution-wise, IMO.) You're right, of course, it's complete nonsense that one species can only survive by being kind of cannibalistic.

Comment

I think, they just have not put that much thought into that, becaise the Wraith are supposed to be the bad ones, the less you know about them actually the easier it is to dislike them for what you know.

It would be nice to have those answers still

But another question is why do they actually lose the ability to eat like humans, I mean it would be much more wise to have both options in times of the one or the other being rare. But that I guess would belong to another thread

Comment

You're right, of course, it's complete nonsense that one species can only survive by being kind of cannibalistic.
                              If, on the other hand, Ancients deliberately create the Wraith it would explain why they have to be kind of cannibalistic. The Ancients invented useless weapons like the exploding tumour machine so Wraith were the result of another experiment gone wrong.
                              sigpic

Comment

That is a good point, tthough I prefere Wraith as a result of a failed experiment much more than a machine that creates exploding tumors. Leaves you wondring what they actually thought as they created that

Comment

Working...
                                X