Jumper Ship Traveling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jumper Ship Traveling

I was watching Trinity in Season 2 and it occurred to me that not only were the team able to travel around a planet easily and quickly, but they show no signs of amazement at the very idea of seeing new worlds, etc. Maybe Rodney's a bit of an exception. I mean, many times they act as if they are in a car driving between NY and Chicago and running into quaint towns to be researched. It would blow my mind every time I encountered a new planet, new people, new technology, etc. traveling in hyperdrive or even subhyper drive. And from their little trip they already know everything about the entire planet of Doranda.
    In any case, the extent of their relaxed mood is as if they take for granted traveling around planets like we drive around I-95!

You should really watch the whole series from the Rising... They use the Jumpers for many-many adventures.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

You're probably right Platschu. But there is an extent of a lack of amazement in where they are, that only a miniscule percentage of Earth's population knows about altogether. I presume that only a few thousand people from Earth know about the world of the Stargate, Atlantis, etc.

While we're at it. How do they know how to tell time through the Stargate universe? Is all time based on 24 hours in a day, 30 days to a month, 12 months to a year? Is that the convenient arrangement of the sun and moon in Atlantis? What about all the other planets to visit? Or do they simply ignore the actual time wherever they go and work from time pieces reflecting our earth time?

Comment

Originally posted by Davey View Post
        While we're at it. How do they know how to tell time through the Stargate universe? Is all time based on 24 hours in a day, 30 days to a month, 12 months to a year? Is that the convenient arrangement of the sun and moon in Atlantis? What about all the other planets to visit? Or do they simply ignore the actual time wherever they go and work from time pieces reflecting our earth time?
        I’ve wondered that too. Even in Earth’s system the planets each have their own meaning of time. On a couple, the day is longer than the year due to orbital speed vs axis rotation. So I’ve often wondered what each team’s frame of reference is when living off world.

Comment

Interesting read for those interested. Basically its measured using a radio signal that goes back and forth in between the spacecraft and Earth.

Problem with Stargate, is that they don't travel in a normal fashion. They use hyperspace (FTL for Universe). Therefore I would say its next to impossible unless they call Earth and ask what time it is
          Spoiler:
          I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

I assume that the Atlantis expedition also found a way to re-charge any device that has the capability of displaying time & date and later, when the connection with Earth was established and the SGC started supporting the expedition, I'm guessing Carter developed a special "internal internet" connection so the expedition members could at least keep the time settings updated on their devices (for analog and digital watches w/o wi-fi/bluetooth capability the time settings would have to be done manually - by hand) via a stable wormhole.

For SGU, since it obviously took longer to establish a connection between SGC and Destiny and backwards, I guess the Destiny crew used their scientists on board to keep the time and date settings on their devices at least approximately updated by choosing a planet that resembles Earth in both day and night time. They probably went with that and they could always look what the time it is anywhere there was a watch when they were using the communications stones and then set their watches straight after the stone connection was correctly terminated. For crying out loud, they had a radio/CD player ON THE SHIP in one episode, it clearly worked... The only trick is when Destiny would be out of power, they would need to watch that their iPhones, iPads, etc. had enough power to last trough the solar re-charging because setting the time and date settings manually over and over again can become quickly annoying.

Comment

There's an episode when Sheppard is on a planet where time moves faster. I guess that means that most human-inhabited planets have the same time setup we do.

Comment

honostly the time doesnt matter if you think about it.... they set thier own time its not a huge flaw....were used to dealing with earth issues.... in time and space you often find yourself not worrying about others schedules when you take the time to listen to the universe

fyi atomic clocks... the watching of the spinning of atoms is one way, but thiers a simpler,you can have mechanical time, thats basic etc.... but honostly you could reset the time at anypoint to a new time and it wouldnt matter ...

actually gravity effects time etc and the perception of time, so that would depend heavily on where you were as to how your clocks and perceptions worked, soo i would gues the gate network has its own functioning clock based on galactic star positions

Comment

Working...
                X