Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eureka canceled. Season 5 next year, beyond that, nothing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I loath this network and always will. I am boycotting them and refuse to watch anymore shows. Every time I invest in a show, they cancel it. They can take their excuse for ratings and shove them. They are just too cheap.

Comment

They never go past season 5 of ANY show. SG1 was on showtime for 5 years, SG1, lasted 5 years, total 10, that was a wonder, SGA, 5 years, although, Caprica got cut down in it's prime as did SGU. Its a wonder they let Eureka last as long as it did, with it's long year season breaks and only 13 episodes?

I suspect, by this time next year if not sooner, it will be Warehouse 13 and Sanctuary will be canceled so I'm calling it now, who wants to take bets?

Every time they split a season, you can guarantee it will get canceled the following year. I thank god they didnt do split seasons with SG1, that would have killed it.

Instead of having season 5 like we should right now, they are only showing us the tail end of season 4 and to see season 5 we have to wait another long year? 2 years to wait for a new season is too damn long for my liking. I have the DVDs to keep me company. I wont be buying s5 though nope. Syfy wont get another dime of my money.

No thank you. I am done waiting. Goodbye Syfy, nice knowing you.

It has NOTHING TO DO WITH RATINGS. ALL TO DO with being CHEAP as dirt!
      Last edited by DSG1; 17 August 2011, 10:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Browncoat1984 View Post
        I wonder if there's a chance of another network seeing the success of the show and picking it up? I mean, its not like it didn't get ratings, the ratings are there...thing is, with it being primarily a SyFY show and not like Stargate (owned by MGM) I have a feeling SyFy wouldn't let that happen unless it was NBC that picked it up, and over on NBC they have the same issues SyFy does (Chuck, Heroes).
        What are you talking about?

It's ratings aren't that high compared to shows on other networks.

Check this out:

http://geekfurious.blogspot.com/2011...gust-2011.html

A bigger network demands even higher ratings. Smaller networks would have the same profitability issues Syfy had. The show costs more than the revenue it would bring in.

Comment

The direction of this network since they switched from SciFi to SyFy(lis) is getting worse, I guess the initial infection is spreading from the disease. This really sucks because the US really needs a network that supports scripted original science-fiction and I feel like we're losing that.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Spimman View Post
            The direction of this network since they switched from SciFi to SyFy(lis) is getting worse, I guess the initial infection is spreading from the disease. This really sucks because the US really needs a network that supports scripted original science-fiction and I feel like we're losing that.
            The problem is that scripted original science-fiction costs a lot to produce and the ratings aren't high enough to earn enough revenue to support it. People who work on these shows and produce them need to be paid. It's not a charitable activity.

The C3 ratings would be higher if scifi fans didn't DVR so much. In a way, the fans themselves contribute to the lack of viability of these shows. If they'd watch more of the commercials, the shows would earn more money.

As a result, the network has no choice but to seek out cheaper programming. Not only are reality shows cheaper to produce, their viewers watch live.

Comment

Sanctuary is being shown on Chiller now.

Comment

Originally posted by MediaSavant View Post
                The problem is that scripted original science-fiction costs a lot to produce and the ratings aren't high enough to earn enough revenue to support it. People who work on these shows and produce them need to be paid. It's not a charitable activity.

The C3 ratings would be higher if scifi fans didn't DVR so much. In a way, the fans themselves contribute to the lack of viability of these shows. If they'd watch more of the commercials, the shows would earn more money.
                As a result, the network has no choice but to seek out cheaper programming. Not only are reality shows cheaper to produce, their viewers watch live.
                I've said that before MS, no one wanted to listen.
                sigpic
                ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by MediaSavant View Post

Isnt the whole System based on those Nelson Ratings or whatever they are called? So basically a small Group of People is used to decide all of this. If we watch live or not is not at all important since our views are not counted anyways. The same goes for the usage of DVR, even if they could check who watches what channel for how long, the DVR would still count as a viewer since it still has to tune in to the certain channel.
                  Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
                  Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald
                  There was Fuzzy no more Wuzzy

Comment

Originally posted by Angela V View Post
                    And Sanctuary will be in it's 5th season too in 2013. SyFy can kill two shows in one year. Yippee.
                    Originally posted by Angela V View Post
                    But how much is Space in control? Wasn't it SyFy that wanted a longer 3rd season? I'm a bit confused with how much Sanctuary relies on SyFy to stay on air. If they aren't then that's great! And I do hope that's true because now that Bell Media owns the Space channel, they have money. It's why Space is now in HD (it's about time! Though only for Bell Satellite users at the moment like me).
                    Originally posted by DSG1 View Post
                    They never go past season 5 of ANY show. SG1 was on showtime for 5 years, SG1, lasted 5 years, total 10, that was a wonder, SGA, 5 years, although, Caprica got cut down in it's prime as did SGU. Its a wonder they let Eureka last as long as it did, with it's long year season breaks and only 13 episodes?

I suspect, by this time next year if not sooner, it will be Warehouse 13 and Sanctuary will be canceled so I'm calling it now, who wants to take bets?

Every time they split a season, you can guarantee it will get canceled the following year. I thank god they didnt do split seasons with SG1, that would have killed it.
                    Every day I hope Sanctuary will be moved back to Fri, most fans are still tweeting to Syfy to move the show back. That should tell Syfy that fans don't want it to stay on Mon, and Syfy has replied to them, like, 4 times now. This is from today- http://bit.ly/qWYpaU

Most say the main thing Sanctuary has going for it is that it doesn't cost as much as Eureka, W13 or Alphas, so I hope that keeps working for them, and that they go home in S4 because I can't and don't want to take a full season of bad ratings.

Btw, is Sanctuary showed in HD on Syfy? It is on Space.

Originally posted by Galileo_Galilee View Post
                    Sanctuary is being shown on Chiller now.
                    How good is that for the show? Also, this is a good article for it.

http://www.worldscreen.com/articles/display/31046
                    Last edited by Rocky89; 18 August 2011, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Spimman View Post
                      I agree. I think the name change was the first clear sign that the channel's PTB were no longer interested in becoming the, or possibly even being a, channel with primarily science fiction/fantasy programming. Instituting a name that distances itself from its core audience was not a good sign.

At this point I think getting involved in one of the channel's original scripted series is a bad bet. If respectable ratings, and fan support, are not enough to at least allow a series to have an end that is announced well in advance, and fully addressed in the final season, then I cannot think of any good reason to bother with watching the channel. Eureka isn't the first time Cee-Fee disrespected, and disregarded, fans. I doubt that it is the last time, because Cee-Fee's PTB do not display much understanding of, nor respect for, science fiction/fantasy fan loyalty. It is the last time for me, though. I still love science fiction, and fantasy. I'm just tired of Skiffy.

Cee-Fee may as well go back to its roots, when all it did was re-run old science fiction/fantasy shows.

Eureka, you will be missed.
                      My Stargate Re-Watch Blog: Wormhole!

Comment

What I find funny....BBC America consistently airs more scripted scifi drama than the scifi channel does

BBCA seems very proud of their 'supernatural saturday' and the BBC in general seems more willing to take chances on shows...they still cancel them, and some only get 6 episodes, but at least there's a try

I do also think that skiffy, owned by NBC, has bought out so many channels and are trying to juggle so much.....I personally think they've overextended themselves and are kinda struggling to make ends meet on the corporate level. hence the focus on what many of us term 'crappy ratings makers', reality shows....NBC as a whole likely needs money and they'll stick iwth the proven ratings and money makers and 'expensive indulgences' like scripted drama are just that, luxuries
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                          I do also think that skiffy, owned by NBC, has bought out so many channels and are trying to juggle so much.....I personally think they've overextended themselves and are kinda struggling to make ends meet on the corporate level
                          Very good point
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tomstone View Post
                            Isnt the whole System based on those Nelson Ratings or whatever they are called? So basically a small Group of People is used to decide all of this. If we watch live or not is not at all important since our views are not counted anyways. The same goes for the usage of DVR, even if they could check who watches what channel for how long, the DVR would still count as a viewer since it still has to tune in to the certain channel.
                            It doesn't matter if you are in the Nielsen sample. Someone else--a lot of someone elses--ARE in the sample who behave just like you.

BTW--there are research companies right now collecting set-top box data anonymously and packaging it for various purposes. You could be part of that research and not even know it.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                              What I find funny....BBC America consistently airs more scripted scifi drama than the scifi channel does

BBCA seems very proud of their 'supernatural saturday' and the BBC in general seems more willing to take chances on shows...they still cancel them, and some only get 6 episodes, but at least there's a try.
                              BBCA's advantage is that they aren't the primary licensee for the shows they air. Any American TV network produces just as many genre shows as the BBC does and with more episodes.

BBC America is to these shows what foreign networks are to American shows. They don't have to pay a lot to air them. That's a good thing because their ratings are really low. For example, recently "The Best of Dr. Who" delivered less than 300,000 viewers and BSG reruns do less than 200,000.

I do also think that skiffy, owned by NBC, has bought out so many channels and are trying to juggle so much.....I personally think they've overextended themselves and are kinda struggling to make ends meet on the corporate level. hence the focus on what many of us term 'crappy ratings makers', reality shows....NBC as a whole likely needs money and they'll stick iwth the proven ratings and money makers and 'expensive indulgences' like scripted drama are just that, luxuries
                              Syfy is no different from any other network. Even BBC America has Top Gear. Look at how many American reality shows started in Britain or Europe: American Idol (Pop Idol), Dancing with the Stars, Big Brother, Kitchen Nightmares. And dozens more.

Comment

American Idol and Dancing With The Stars are very different than reality shows like Big Brother and it's ilk.

Comment

Working...
                                X