Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So far, what do you think about DM? (SPOILERS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Five, Six and the android could vie for best character. But they don't get enough good material to work with, so yes, I agree: currently Three is the best (and to a large degree only good) character.

If only we got more of the Android...

Comment

Originally posted by TheAtlantia View Post
      Number 3 is the best character in Dark Matter, end of discussion!
      He's the "bad guy" on the ship, that means he's the only one who gets to have personality traits beyond "good guy". He's allowed to be complex and all shades of grey, because unless he's a pantomime villain twirling his moustache as he ties One to the train tracks, he can't be "bad" all the time.

The rest of them are stuck being "good and helpful" Apart from Six who disappeared into the wallpaper.. And One who is just whiny and annoying about how good he wants to be

Comment

Personally, I like all type of shows and characters (from Game of Thrones/Borgia/Spartacus to Mentalist passing by 12 Monkeys). The difference between a good and bad show is related to the stories and writing. In some TV shows and movies the main characters are so despicable, that I don't even care if they die or whatever happens to them. I don't think having dark characters (who also do good things) is the only way to have "complex and all shades of grey" characters. There's more personality traits than only being good or bad or a mix between the 2. You can be a good person and still live very dramatic events. Full of hard decisions, difficult situations, actions, adventures, sadness, joy, fear, etc.

Most characters in Stargate were good people but we still loved them, feel for them during all the great stories and adventures which happened to them.

Jack O'Neill --Good but anti-conformist. I give him to you. He's a bit bad but not that dark.
        Daniel Jackson--Good and helpful. Curious with a big heart for injustice.
        Samantha Carter--Good and helpful. Intelligent and resourceful.
        Teal'c--Good and helpful. Warrior, loyal, has no fear.
        George S. Hammond--Good and helpful. Father figure. Diplomat. Intuitive.
        Jonas Quinn--Good and helpful.
        Cameron Mitchell--Good and helpful. Courageous.
        Vala Mal Doran--Turned out to be good but egocentric at first (iirc). I give her to you but again she's not dark.
        Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

This show is great so far. Each episode gets more and more interesting as the story progresses and I want to keep watching to find about more about each character and their background.

I agree with some other comments that it has similar darkness of SGU. But in a good way. The crew are a bit lighter in spirit than the crew of SGU were. Overall though it has a totally different vibe than SGU.

So far it's my favourite sci-fi show on TV alongside Falling Skies.

Comment

Originally posted by TOIVA View Post
            Indeed.

At the very beginning, they stumbled in a cargo hold with crates of weapons, clothes, etc. They thought they had enough to make money.

Now they've unlocked the 'mystery' cargo hold. They found weapons, money, other goodies and think they have enough to be fine.

I bloody hope we're not gonna see that pattern repeat anymore. And I still don't get why this cargo hold was locked while the crates with weapons they found in the pilot weren't.
            There are things in the "vault" that are more valuable than other cargo. Sarah for one thing.

I'm guessing that as the show goes on that there a lot more stuff stored in there that is valuable and dangerous to them. There also just general stuff like food and booze kept in there in the event of an attack like somebody trying to steal from them like in Episode Ten.

Originally posted by utan77 View Post
            I think that they will find something interesting in locked chests - that is why this cargo was extra closed.
            Precisely.
            Last edited by I Am Not James Spader; 24 August 2015, 08:41 AM.

Comment

I'm with Three on this. Keeping locked boxes on your ship is stupid (same as was stupid of the crew not to explore the ship better/sooner).

It may only serve for future 'surprises' like "Great, there's exactly what we need in this box to solve our current problem."

Comment

Locked boxes, the solution to all of life's problems.

I am enjoying the show more as it goes on, I stopped around episode 3 until a work mate said it had picked up so I caught up on the show.

A few things I want addressed

Where exactly is Dark Matter based, how far from our Sol System are they

Has there been any contact with alien species before?

What makes the Rasa/Raza? such a good ship, the "evil" Corp dudes said its a damn waste of a "great ship" or something.
                It is fast in FTL and sublight apparently but does it have any other bonuses.

Give us scale of what the GA controls, how many worlds has humanity spread too, what does and doesnt GA control.

Flesh out the "corporations" [I hate that term in scifi] they are more like militaries.
                Lets see their logos, HQ's, alliances and competitors and start differentiating what each of them do.

Comment

Originally posted by SilenceOz View Post
                  Locked boxes, the solution to all of life's problems.

I am enjoying the show more as it goes on, I stopped around episode 3 until a work mate said it had picked up so I caught up on the show.

A few things I want addressed

Where exactly is Dark Matter based, how far from our Sol System are they

Has there been any contact with alien species before?

What makes the Rasa/Raza? such a good ship, the "evil" Corp dudes said its a damn waste of a "great ship" or something.
                  It is fast in FTL and sublight apparently but does it have any other bonuses.

Give us scale of what the GA controls, how many worlds has humanity spread too, what does and doesnt GA control.

Flesh out the "corporations" [I hate that term in scifi] they are more like militaries.
                  Lets see their logos, HQ's, alliances and competitors and start differentiating what each of them do.
                  Most of those are relevant to the story (I could see Earth not really being relevant), but I'd rather have them come up naturally over a few seasons than have an infodump episode.

Comment

Originally posted by Starsaber View Post
                    Most of those are relevant to the story (I could see Earth not really being relevant), but I'd rather have them come up naturally over a few seasons than have an infodump episode.
                    I agree. I like being led to conclusions rather than having them force-fed to me. I'm enjoying the show, and think that the pacing is interesting. I also don't think that the location in regards to Earth is important, unless the characters are from Earth, which I (quite frankly) would be a little disappointed about.
                    sigpic
                    My Stories: FFdotNet
                    My Stories AO3
                    Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

It's not about being presented 'conclusions' on a silver platter. It's about being transported from our homes to the setting and undertsanding it.

That's one of the largest shortcomings of Dark Matter in my opinion. We know very little about the piece of universe the Raza travels in. We don't know just how powerful the corporations are, how many there are, what they do, where their influence reaches... Most of the story happens in a dreamy setting of the Raza stumbling on 'stuff'. And ironically, the crew keeps stumbling on 'stuff' hidden in the ship's vault - which is an other annoying aspect of the show.

But all that said, Dark Matter is getting slowly better and the 11th episode actually managed to keep me entertained (might even be a first).

Comment

A strong first season. The final four episodes were very good. I hope it'll get a second season. There's so much potential for greatness there and so far it's been a good ride.

Comment

That's one of the largest shortcomings of Dark Matter in my opinion. We know very little about the piece of universe the Raza travels in. We don't know just how powerful the corporations are, how many there are, what they do, where their influence reaches... Most of the story happens in a dreamy setting of the Raza stumbling on 'stuff'. And ironically, the crew keeps stumbling on 'stuff' hidden in the ship's vault - which is an other annoying aspect of the show.
                          yes as I have said before there is a lack of "worldbuilding" that I would like more to see. for example As you stated I would like to see more about:
                          How far in the future is this?
                          How far from earth? Are they in the Milky Way?
                          Are they earth based humans, born on other colonies but origins(DNA) from earth
                          or are they from somewhere else?
                          More about these corporations.
                          They needn't devote whole episodes to these questions, just a snippet here and there would be nice.
                          Otherwise yes the last few episodes are a lot better and I will watch if there's a Season 2

Comment

Remember, they mentioned Star Wars (ep. 36, was it?).

So it actually should be Earth's future (just somehow without Earth - and any developped planet, seemingly). Unless they just mess with us on purpose.

Speaking of which, I feel a lot messed up with on purpose by Mallozzi and Mullie. I've gotten the feeling the whole season was merely constructed around shocking crossovers from one episode to the next. I didn't quite get a sense of slowly building up story elements that would have a deeper meaning.
                            Both Defiance and Killjoys, in retrospective, were hinting at what will happen, planting seeds of future events. Characters were growing throughout the season to reflect the evnts taking place. I didn't see that in Dark Matter.

If they want to make a good serialised drama, they need to seriously change their way of writing, planning out seasons and individual arcs.
                            If they want to have a fun episodic show, then that's fine by me too, I love Sg-1 and Atlantis, afterall. But then again, this didn't quite deliver in this department either.

Comment

I'm with Three on this. Keeping locked boxes on your ship is stupid (same as was stupid of the crew not to explore the ship better/sooner).

It may only serve for future 'surprises' like "Great, there's exactly what we need in this box to solve our current problem."
                              No, the contents can also cause problems, like the new android, or be clues to unlock the mysteries of their backgrounds.

Originally posted by Starsaber View Post
                              Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post
                              I agree. I like being led to conclusions rather than having them force-fed to me. I'm enjoying the show, and think that the pacing is interesting. I also don't think that the location in regards to Earth is important, unless the characters are from Earth, which I (quite frankly) would be a little disappointed about.
                              Agreed.

We switched TV providers and the new one doesn't have SyFy in the package we chose, So I'll miss the final two episodes.

I'm hoping it comes to Netflix. In any region.
                              Last edited by I Am Not James Spader; 30 August 2015, 05:30 AM.

Comment

This show got a lot better as its characters grew more human and less like Firefly/TV cool people cariacatures. I'm actually interested in the tension and dynamics between all of them, and they're actually doing things with the blank slate mysterious backgrounds and motives they each have rather than taking a safe route which allows them to maintain an episodic status quo, especially with the reveal in the season finale.

At this point I will be pissed if there isn't a season 2. As much as Mallozzi and Mullie drove Atlantis straight into a dumpster, I'm surprised to find that Dark Matter won me over. All seven characters are pretty endearing by now. Great job.

And... more David Hewlett please.

Comment

Working...
                                X