No announcement yet.

Tangent (412)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A pretty good ep. So glad the X-302 looked so much better than the 301.

Good to see Jacob, even if it was for such a small time.
    sigpic

Comment

This one haunts Jack for a long time which is just hilarious. I like this episode because it once again shows SG1 way over thier heads. The X-301 is basiclly a Death Glider with a few modifications of Earth technology. While I do not agree with Jacob's assement of us being too infantile it still is interesting to see them go way over their head and have the rest of SG1 scramble. Although if we are too nitpick being so love on oxygen and then have Teal'c and Jack exposed to the vaccum of space they should have been unconscious and in serious health conditions. And poor jaintors who have to clean those thrown papers
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Lieutenant Sparrow View Post
        A pretty good ep. So glad the X-302 looked so much better than the 301.
        While the 302 looked cool, from a real airplane design standpoint, it has problems. One of which is how close the wing tips are to the ground.

Seaboe
        If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

The more I see this, the more I think this is one of the best episodes of the entire series. It tells a story that more traditional, ship-based TV SF can't tell. The acting is a tour de force for just about everyone in it (the scene where Hammond and Davis listen to O'Neill's final message is just spectacular; as is RDA's delivery of those lines).

It adds to our understanding of how the Tokra view us; shows us how far each member of the SGC will go for the others, and is visually beautiful.

Yes, it has its problems (among them the speed with which O'Neill recovers from anoxia), but overall I think it's great.

And as PDL says in the commentary, about RDA's performance, "there's a reason his name is above the title."

Seaboe
          If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Yes I have often wondered how they manage to the land the plane without the wings hitting the ground. Would have to be an expert at keeping it straight.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lieutenant Sparrow View Post
              Yes I have often wondered how they manage to the land the plane without the wings hitting the ground. Would have to be an expert at keeping it straight.
              I had a conversation with some AF people here when I first joined the board; in addition to the wings, with all those engines at the back, plus fuel, it's got to be very hard to keep the nose up--it's not well balanced. But it looks cool, and that's the most important thing, right?

Seaboe

Comment

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
                I had a conversation with some AF people here when I first joined the board; in addition to the wings, with all those engines at the back, plus fuel, it's got to be very hard to keep the nose up--it's not well balanced. But it looks cool, and that's the most important thing, right?

Seaboe
                But all of those issues assumes that the X-302 uses the same principles of arodynamics and propulsion as our current technology, which I think is rather presumptuous given that this craft is based on alien technology and has capabilities far superior to any earth fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
                  But all of those issues assumes that the X-302 uses the same principles of arodynamics and propulsion as our current technology, which I think is rather presumptuous given that this craft is based on alien technology and has capabilities far superior to any earth fighter.
                  It does use the same principles of aerodynamics and proplusion as our current technology, until it exits the atmosphere. They say so in the show. It has jet engines, aerospikes and a rocket booster. The jets and aerospikes apparently use the same exhaust system. It lands and takes off from earth, so the wing design being too close the the ground stays the same. The placement of the engines dictates it is back heavy (and therefore unbalanced). None of these things change just because it's based on alien technology.

It's a great looking ship; I don't knock that--but it's not really a very practical design (then again, it was built by the Air Force so how would they know any better? They fly planes; they don't build 'em).

Seaboe

Comment

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
                    It does use the same principles of aerodynamics and proplusion as our current technology, until it exits the atmosphere. They say so in the show.
                    That's interesting, since I recall seeing an old-model death glider hovering above the ground, stationary, suggesting that unmodified gliders have anti-gravity engines. (It's the episode where SG-1 is rescued from Hathor.) Well, at least they have the inertial dampening field while flying in-atmosphere. Prevents black-outs.

Comment

Thanks for the excellent summaries, Krisz and Seaboe.
                      This ep surprises me by its depth and perception. The build up of tension plus the acting from RDA are outstanding!
                      "Colonel, General, Major, General, Doctor, General" And who says Vadrine has no sense of humor? :-}
                      I liked the Tollan reference indicating an ongoing relationship as well. And Daniel at the controls of the scout ship communicating with the Goa'uld was welcome relief while Jack and Teal'c prepare to die in the cold of space. Always, just the right amount of humor at just the right times. Yay PDL!
                      Quite simply one of the best nudges of the season!

Comment

This episode was just purely epic!!
                        Loved it!!

Comment

Maybe to hide out..

Comment

Garhkal, I thought they were there mining naquadah.

Seaboe

Comment

another cute ep - I'd totally forgotten it.

one of my very very favourite Stargate moments over any series:

Colonel, General, Major, General, Doctor, General...
                              In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

"My other flyer is a ha'tak!"

They slapped a sticker onto a deathglider and called it their own... that's just bound to go wrong.

I love the dialogue between Jacob, Carter and Daniel. Politics, it's always about politics!

He's taking her for a spin... around the world. And then Teal'c returns and blows the windows of the cars to kingdom comes... Woohoo!

Some sweet flying... before the recall device puts an end to their fun. It always ends in tears, doesn't it.
                                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Working...
                                X