Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't really say which seasons of SGA are better than others in my opinion since I haven't watched them in order or their entirety. Guess I'll have to wait until the end of the SGA rewatch.

I've got past the point where I lost interest in SGA when watching it on its first airing and I have to say it's not so bad this time round. I've watched with an open mind and am enjoying it for its entertainment value rather than comparing it to SG-1 and the characters I warmed to almost straight away. I can't seem to get emotionally invested in the characters in SGA as much as I did with SG-1's and subsequently SGU's.

McKay and Sheppard are the ones I don't mind watching. Zelenka is one of the better recurring characters, he and McKay play well off each other, I do like their interactions. It was a shame that Ford was dropped as a main character, I actually noticed him this time round and thought there was great potential for seeing him being changed by his experiences. I liked his sense of humour and his eager personality, a much better team mate than the generally uninteresting 'muscle' Ronon for me.

Comment

I may get behind in the rewatch when the Olympic games are on but I don't have cable so I can't watch all of the Olympic games so we will see
      sigpic
      My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
      poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

Originally posted by Krisz View Post
        I've got past the point where I lost interest in SGA when watching it on its first airing and I have to say it's not so bad this time round. I've watched with an open mind and am enjoying it for its entertainment value rather than comparing it to SG-1 and the characters I warmed to almost straight away. I can't seem to get emotionally invested in the characters in SGA as much as I did with SG-1's and subsequently SGU's.

McKay and Sheppard are the ones I don't mind watching. Zelenka is one of the better recurring characters, he and McKay play well off each other, I do like their interactions.
        Agree, agree and agree. Halfway through SGA Season 2 is when I lost interest when airing. Now we're over that hump I find myself quite enjoying it. I still find Ronan a waste of screen time and Teyla kinda annoying, but McKay has (surprisingly) really developed and as you said, Zelenka is one of the better characters from SG1 or Atlantis at this stage.

"The greatest compliment that was ever paid me was when one asked me what I thought, and attended to my answer.” - Henry David Thoreau

sigpic

Comment

I finished season 2 of SGA last night and started season 3 too this is my favorite season
          sigpic
          My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
          poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

Stargate Atlantis: Season 2

They say that after every first season comes a season which finds it's footing and is more capable in it's abilities to provide quality entertainment... Well this could be considered one of those seasons which explores a bit more into the Wraith society, the characters and the ancients as a whole but there also lies something beneath the surface which counteracts that. Still, it's nice to see a show in it's second season; definitely shows that there was an audience out there that demanded more of this stuff...

Let's get the stuff out of the way, there is definitely an improvement in the variety of the stories offered and how they're told; I don't know whether or not which factors are involved but I definitely know there are more varied stories this time around. An example of this would have to be "The Intruder" which takes place almost entirely on a Daedalus-like battle cruiser and involves flashbacks and some good action; while it's not the best example, it does showcase the newfound variety of the season and it's different then what we've seen in Season 1, which is the team mainly being on Atlantis. Then there is "Grace Under Pressure" which while aping "Thirty Eight Minutes" involves one of our known in a situation where he's all alone and forced to adapt to the situation; the fact that it places one of our own in a tough situation and the fact that the situation provides an in-depth focus to that character is something that proves refreshing, in fact this allows the show to expand it's wings a bit, come up with episodes it's never made before and compared to Season 1, the ideas seem more electric and vibrant; spreading it's wings is the only thing a show can do at this point.

However, it's not an 100% improvement nor is it a good thing; in fact there are many episodes which either feel really similar to another sci-fi show or use that variety in a bad way. "The Tower" is something that has an interesting-concept plot wise but it's execution is marred in bad costumes, bad acting, a contrived plot and no idea of what it wants to do; making it the second worst of the season; then there is "Condemned" which seems like every other SG-1 episode out there except set in the Pegasus galaxy; don't get me wrong, it's good but there is nothing that sets it apart from every other episode out there, well maybe for the concept and moral implications. Some may say that there are the same types of episodes in it's first season but those episodes were more about exploring an unknown society, infusing issues you normally couldn't do in SG1 and providing a new take on things; these episodes here barely any of them infuse the stuff that SGA is so well known for and worse, there are more of them this time around; this show is about the unknown, to see that mostly layed off to the wayside is disappointing.

What's worse is that the show seems to be getting worse; evidence of this is that this season contains SGA's worst episode by far, "Duet"... I mean how can someone screw up a body sharing concept? McKay's annoyance is evident as this becomes him whining with no real point and the female inside of her is no better, instead coming across as one of those generic females with no personality and objectionable standards. People say that it's funny but just look at the episode, it's humor is low, it's plotting is awkward and it's rifled with stereotypes. Then you got "Critical Mass" which is the episode where a Gou'ald appears; it's admirable to enhance the bond but it's plotting is awkward, it's intentions are muddled and it feels like a lesser SG1 episode in terms of presentation; and we can't forget about "The Intruder" which manages to feel like an episode that was crafted by a team that's capable but past their prime, evident by the dumbing down of things, the need to pander to the audience and Rodney's balls joke which is just unfunny. Many of the shows lose their edge around it's 4th or 5th season depending on how good the show is but this just seems like they lost their energy quickly and now they're resorting to writing episodes that are decent but not amazing. I don't expect every episode to be unique but I also don't want these guys to simply write SG-1 episodes with the Atlantis crew in them, when you compare Season 2 to Season 1, it becomes evident.

But aside from that, there are signs that the show is improving itself, digging even further into it's mythology; one of these examples is "Aurora" which is an episode just breeming to the teeth with Ancient information; the stuff is learned is really essential and although it reuses the VR plotline a bit too much and barely offers anything new aside from the whole Atlantis crew, it proves to be a good revelation regardless and "Instinct" is something that provides us with an intriguing look into the Wraith that would come to define them in recent times. The fact that it has dig deeper shows me that the show is adamant in it's mission, which is exploring the unknown; while there as much major revelations as Season 1, the steps that it takes are the next logical steps in ensuring that their world gets the growth that it needs. For every moment they have, they dare to go where they haven't before; infusing sociological elements and philosophical concepts that seem deeper and more creative then Season 1 before it. Having a bunch of things you never had before can do wonders as it digs up even more underlining questions (while also furthering the global scale of it) and the way it's presented in this season, it enhances the surrealism that this show is known for.

The characters here are as good as ever and some even manage to grow; Sheppard for example, showing that he's more then someone who defies orders and sprouts cool lines... His knowledge of sports and compassion was hinted before but it gets just a bit more exploration here, we learn things that we didn't even know before and while not every scene grows him, we connect with him as a character just a bit more. He gets two episode to himself; "Epiphany", which is disappointing (mainly because it mostly rehashes a certain SG1 episode) but appreciable nonetheless since we get to learn even more things about him and "Conversion" which has Sheppard becoming a Wraith and admittingly, is the better of the two mainly because of the growth we see (especially when Weir becomes involved). Beckett manages to get more screen time in this season (even earning himself a starring credit) and he doesn't waste those appearances, using them to reaffirm himself as a kind, caring doctor who is especially knowledgeable in the areas of medical science and the morality relating to medical science; he may be a bit overused but then again, the fact that his unique perspective could potentially add to a situation at hand almost makes up for it and it's evident in "Instinct" where his medical perspective helps to add weight to much of the plot, especially in regards to the Wraith. Even Weir manages to showcase some aggression and determinism that I admit, added more to a character that was already dynamic. (with her appearances in "The Intruder" being the most evident.)

The real surprise here is Rodney who manages to come across as better before, he hasn't fully excised his annoying traits but he has placed his science ambitions and resourcefulness ahead of him; he also gets two episodes "Trinity" and "Grace Under Pressure" which showcase Rodney under different situations that both provide growth to his character. Out of the two, I'd say "Trinity" is the best (and one of the best of the Season) because it shows him as what he's supposed to be, a scientist with ambition. Sure, "Grace" explores the subconscious side of Rodney but it's mostly marred down with the appearance of "Sam Carter" which harms more then it helps. If I'd have to say anything, is that Rodney is definitely getting some progress but he's still got ways to go before he connects with me. This season is also the one where Ronan first appears in, unfortunately replacing Ford as a team member. His rebel personality makes him something to be interested in and so does his views which manage to make him more then what he is, he just has a charm that will guarantee that viewers will flock to him and he more then manages to hold his own; he seems like the perfect addition of the team though his appearance does seem to sideline Teyla who mainly seems to be in the background this time around, speaking lines, doing her job and not really playing the part unless required; she did get a good role on "Critical Mass" where her character was nicely explored, putting her with her grandmother really showcased the emotion the character and the actor has and that singing voice, amazing.

There's no shortage of awesome moments here, "Michael" is one of those episodes that showcase what makes Stargate great, (to focus on a Wraith turned Human against his own will is amazing.) It has a cinematic quality that can't be denied, a depth that makes it more and a charm that makes it a must see experience, "Runner" is just one of those episodes that contains an awesome premise, awesome fighting, the amazing introduction of Ronan and a slickness that is just undeniable and "Coup D'etat" is like a two-parter in one, containing the best moments while providing us with a good episode focusing on the Genii... Speaking of which, this contains a pretty amazing two parter. "The Lost Boys" and "The Hive", featuring what would ultimately be the last appearance of Ford. Both parts manage to be absolutely perfect and barely any moment that drags; the action here is awesome, there's some moralistic stuff here and there and there's even some character revelations here and there; in fact I'd say it's comparable to "The Siege" in terms of quality and the revelations we get regarding the Wraith are quite tantalizing. Ford's role as a minor character was doing well for him, we got to see a renewed sense of purpose for him and we got to see into a different side of his personality and inside of his thought processes; it's a shame they didn't have him appear after this, he had tons of potential but I guess the writers had other plans. The season is also bookended by two "two-parters", the ending of "The Siege" which caps off the saga magnificently and "Allies" which begins a new "two-parter" while also taking a look at the Wraith and promising to be awesome.

So the second season of SGA doesn't manage to be better then the first but it is as good as it. It's certainly more varied then the first season; there isn't much of what made Season 1 unique here but what it lacks it makes up for in heart and the stuff that is revealed, the characters that are growed; if you're watching the show, just know that they're out their listening to you and for those of you diehard fans out there, you'll probably be entertained the world over to have more SGA episodes at your disposal to watch. For the rest of us, we're just happy that Atlantis has a second season. It's worth your time to pick it up and watch the episodes, there's something you'll like in there.

7.0/10

Best Episodes: "The Siege (Part 3)", "Trinity", "Grace Under Pressure", "The Lost Boys", "The Hive", "Michael"
            Worst Episodes: "Duet", "The Tower"
            Back from the grave.

Comment

I am falling behind on the rewatch due to the Olympics.

I did notice that Jessica Zelenka is on the Canadian team.
              Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

For review reference purposes.

Season 2:

The Siege (Part 3) (9.0/10)
                The Intruder (7.0/10)
                Runner (8.0/10)
                Duet (1.5/10)
                Condemned (6.5/10)
                Trinity (9.5/10)
                Instinct (7.5/10)
                Conversion (8.5/10)
                Aurora (7.5/10)
                The Lost Boys (10/10)
                The Hive (10/10)
                Epiphany (5.5/10)
                Critical Mass (5.0/10)
                Grace Under Pressure (8.5/10)
                The Tower (2.5/10)
                The Long Goodbye (7.0/10)
                Coup D'etat (8.0/10)
                Michael (10/10)
                Inferno (7.5/10)
                Allies (8.5/10)
                Back from the grave.

Comment

I am still in season 3 I got busy last week I am on The Game will try and finish season 3 before Sat so I can start season 4 but it will be hard for me season 4 was my least favorite and unlike with SG-1 I didn't get my favorite character back so the last 2 seasons will be a struggle for me
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by poundpuppy29 View Post
                    I am still in season 3 I got busy last week I am on The Game will try and finish season 3 before Sat so I can start season 4 but it will be hard for me season 4 was my least favorite and unlike with SG-1 I didn't get my favorite character back so the last 2 seasons will be a struggle for me
                    I've got to be honest, I really felt the same way. At least we get to see Carter in action for a while!!

Comment

So, finished season 3 of SGA. I have to say I've enjoyed season 3 most out of them so far, even with the worst Stargate episode ever for me in it. 'Irresistible' even surpassed 'Urgo' for me as the worst one ever and are episodes I will never watch again!

Whilst I've seen season 4 in parts I don't remember much of it, same with season 5. The only episode of season 5 I really remember is 'Vegas' which I really like. It's the only SGA episode in my top ten favourites of all Stargate.

Comment

Stargate Atlantis: Season 3

Over the span of it's run, there have been people who have called Atlantis just a ripoff of SG1. While I somewhat think against that (mainly due to the darker themes, the new galaxy, the various things it did differently from SG1 such as dip into morally objectionable actions, racial tensions, it even had more enemies then it had friends.), it did remind me of SG1 a certain times but never in it's previous two seasons has it become an SG1 ripoff. This season seems to be the moment where Atlantis becomes that in content, plot and even settings.

I don't know what the writers were thinking, maybe they wanted to transfer some SG1 elements to SGA because the show was being canceled, maybe the writing staff simply got lazy and couldn't keep up the momentum that SGA had. Regardless, the ever increasing feeling of SG1 is present in SGA and the most evident example is the newly repaired and equipped Atlantis with three ZPMs! Three! Sure, there are enemies copied from SG1 and even more episode concepts that seemed to be copied from SG1 but this is the example which I'm focusing on. Why is that? For so long, Atlantis has been in neglect, with systems not working properly, tons of areas under water damage/flooded and it not being used to it's fullest potential and that has fueled much of the crew's situation in Seasons 1 & 2 because it's this city of magnificence yet it's been millions of years since they've found it; they have the know how, they have the technology but not everything is accessible to them. With this season, they basically gave the show a brand new Atlantis; everything repaired, everything operational, zero water damage, zero worries. It took away that sense of fear that subtly grounded the show and turned Atlantis from this mystical city to an all powerful ship that didn't interest the crew as much. Not only that but the crew seems to be becoming more complacent as well with barely any of them being given any incentive to go above and beyond (except in a few episodes); don't get me wrong, the crew is still good (especially Sheppard and Weir) but everything about many of their performances scream routine and common, especially McKay.

I can finally put captions here! Anyways, new and improved Atlantis.

Because of the ever increasing SG1 feeling, there is also some questionable writing decisions made here. Take for instance "McKay and Mrs. Miller"; that title promises you an episode regarding McKay and her sister but instead takes a detour involving an alternate universe McKay that detracts from the episodes focus and ends up being detrimental to McKay as a whole. The whole alternate universe McKay plot could of been better utilized as a separate episode plot and that's what should of been done instead of attempting to shoehorn it with McKay's sister, this episode is a Capricorn of character and emotional development but when you have stuff that makes you question the capability of the crew and even the seriousness of their actions then what purpose does that development even have? We can't forget about "Irresistible" which should of never been made. The character of "Lucious Lovin'" was pretentious and unlikable, diluting much of the potential he had, the attempts at comedy fell flat most of the time, many moments were just stupid and a lot of the episode had the character questioning it rather then laughing at it. I mean who thought that having Atlantis be host to an SNL-like character and act stupid was a good idea? Granted, they were trying to replicate SG1 (they did have some good plot ideas) and they did redeem themselves somewhat with "Irresponsible" and provide a pretty good light episode with good dialog, great McKay & Sheppard performance, easygoing atmosphere that also goes deep on some issues but still...

Alot of fans say that this season is the moment where character is the focus and they're somewhat right with episodes like "Phantoms" and "Sunday" supporting their claim. "Phantoms" being an episode which places the characters in a unique situation and providing us with amazing character performances and "Sunday" just being both a good and a surprising episode in that it dwelled into the off-time of our characters providing us with a explosion of character growth while also showing the more somber side of Atlantis and providing a pretty clever metaphor itself (though some decisions were questionable.) while also having Dr. Beckett dieing and that may vary on whether or not you're invested in the character or not but it's still sad to see him go. Of course, there are episodes that focus on other characters, episodes like "Sateda" which finally shows Ronan as a runner and provides an interesting look into his character that both intrigues and satisfies and "Tao of Rodney" which though starting off awkward, progresses into something that proves essential for Rodney's character as we see another side of him, a side that's sensible, engaging and not just him trying to be egotistical and funny all the time. "Common Ground" is an episode that's highly praised by fans yet I found it mostly okay; The focus on Sheppard and our unlikely Wraith ally is very, very good and the way it's executed in the episode will have you glued to your seat but it's derailed in the beginning by characters who act like their same old selves and the Genii... Well let's just say they've lost their edge from the last time we've saw them, mostly being reneged to replicating SG1's "Abyss".

Chess with Zelenka

The best character episode has to "The Real World" which is Weir's day under the sun; she is just amazing the way she acts in the situation she's placed in, showing rebellion, doubt, sadness, angst and happiness. She's not revealing any history but she's drawing us in with her amazing performance with is filled with soul and the guest appearance by Richard Dean Anderson is a really nice touch that helps to add;the only flaw is that it didn't go further with it's premise. The only character misstep seems to be "Submersion" which claims to be a Teyla focused episode but instead is a horror-based episode with a Wraith like enemy that only minorly focuses on Teyla. It's good but you'll be disappointed. For those of you begging for action well this season has it served by the season openers and finales "No Man's Land", "Misbegotten" and "First Strike"; "Sateda" and the two parter of the season "The Return" Most of those episodes contain those gun-toting, edge of your seat moments with explosions galore and spectacular VFX about, executed in about the greatest fashion ever. The cinematography is great, the timing is decent and as usual it's engaging but something about the action feels off, something boring about it; this is evident in the first two episodes of the season which contains the usual Stargate flourishes, team mechanics, space battles, a guest star but they slightly go overboard with it leaving to many boring scenes and they even manage to fall into sci-fi cliches during the episode diluting many of the moments of the episode, the second episode is better but it disappoints viewers with it's substandard serving of moral implications, racial differences and society.

"The Return" is both a good two-parter that provides SG fans with action, characters and edge-of-your-seat moments and one that signals the start of a new era. The emotion showed from these characters in the beginning is compelling, it's really engaging to see these characters go their separate ways and the way the episode gets them back together, you'll be rooting for them all the way; the action itself is decent but there doesn't seem to be much in the way of compelling action in the episode, it has O'Neill in both parts and there are moments which more then lives up to Stargate's name but the entire thing just seems to be oddly melancholic and sterile especially considering that these two-parters are supposed to be once-in-a-lifetime moments; in fact this is the first time a second part has disappointed. And of course, we can't forget about "The Ark" which by far has to be the best episode of Season 3 and one of the best in Atlantis; combining an asteroid, the separation of characters and morally questionable actions was really the best thing the episode has done, giving a dramatic tour-de-force that utilizes the characters well, allowing them to showcase their own traits and personal desires in a way that engages the audience; plus it also contains a lot of action, action that puts you on the edge of your seat and proves substantial. The theme, the determination, the efforts, the concept, the action; all of that shows what SGA is capable of when the writers put their minds to it.

Dinner with the crew.

It contains everything that Stargate fans want but there seems to be a lack of radically new stuff in Atlantis; what Seasons 1 & 2 had was a plethora of new stuff, unexplored planets, new societies, new technologies, the Wraith, they even had communications with Ancients at a couple of times. Season 3 seems to be oddly complacent in it's revelations though it does introduce a new "enemy" per say. The "Asurans" who's Ancient like personalities and desire to ascend allow for tons of possibilities, "Progeny" introduces them well though it also introduces a fatal flaw, they are treated as Replicators 2.0... The actions of the crew (when trying to "help" them out), the biased assumptions of them; every one of them serves as things that unfairly paints them as one-dimensional. However, one new enemy cannot make up for the lack of interesting stuff in the Pegasus galaxy; (even that corona mass thing in "Echos" was interesting and that episode was a mostly boring affair that had potential but wasted it.) At least what happens in the tail end of the season ends to make things interesting, "First Strike" introducing an element which should hopefully change Atlantis forever and "Vengeance" providing a new threat that I believe is Atlantis's version of the replicators and being a horror-like episode where tensity and uncertainty is the norm, especially with the situation they're placed in. Both episodes are good in their own ways and they even give me hope for Season 4 what with the possibilities that they hold.

In the end, Season 3 is not as good as Seasons 1 or 2 but it does have some amazing moments throughout the season, moments that while not matching up to Seasons past, do hold as worthy contributions to the series coda. Much of the season is filled with complacency, questionable writing decisions and potential which could of been used better in the episodes they appeared in; there are more episodes here which will bore you and it seems like it's trying hard to be more like SG1 then it's own show. While they do try hard to appease the fans, those efforts don't really negate the glaring flaws and ultimately it's a Season that while good, seems to signal the start of a new era for the show. You'll enjoy some of the episodes here but be forewarned that you'll feel the shivers as you watch this season.

6.0/10

Best Episodes: "The Real World", "Phantoms", "Tao of Rodney", "The Ark", "Sunday", "First Strike"
                        Worst Episodes: "Irresistible", "McKay and Mrs. Miller"
                        Back from the grave.

Comment

For review reference purposes.

Season 3:

No Man's Land (7.0/10)
                          Misbegotten (7.5/10)
                          Irresistible (1.0/10)
                          Sateda (8.0/10)
                          Progeny (8.5/10)
                          The Real World (9.5/10)
                          Common Ground (7.0/10)
                          McKay and Mrs. Miller (2.5/10)
                          Phantoms (8.5/10)
                          The Return (Part 1) (8.5/10)
                          The Return (Part 2) (8.0/10)
                          Echoes (6.5/10)
                          Irresponsible (5.5/10)
                          Tao of Rodney (9.0/10)
                          The Game (8.0/10)
                          The Ark (10/10)
                          Sunday (8.5/10)
                          Submersion (7.0/10)
                          Vengeance (8.0/10)
                          First Strike (9.0/10)
                          Back from the grave.

Comment

been busy so i have been catching up on season 3 starting where i left off with "Echoes"

Comment

I raced ahead and finished the re-watch some time ago, but the summary from "Zombies Rise from the Sea" (what a username!) makes me want to return and watch again (and again).

Comment

I finished season 3 will start season 4 this week
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X