X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LT. COL. John Sheppard View Post
    *ahem* fanfics
    Try to monetize them and see what happens..................
    sigpic
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

monetize?
      sigpic
      Ohhhhhhhh WHAM BAM THANK YOU MA'AM

Comment

Originally posted by LT. COL. John Sheppard View Post
        monetize?
        Sell them for any form of profit.
        sigpic
        ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
        A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
        The truth isn't the truth

Comment

who would SELL fic's
          sigpic

Comment

Who would buy fics?

Comment

exactly my point
              sigpic

Comment

Saw this on kotaku
                "People Like You—Yes, You—Gave $9 Million to Kickstarter Video Game Campaigns Last Month"
                More on that here http://kotaku.com/5903404/people-lik...gns-last-month

But seeing how much money flows trough there in recent days shows how much fans can impact a project be it games, movies or even books. I wonder if we petition MGM or Brad Wright and Robert C. Cooper and tell them about kickstarter and how it works maybe they will give it a go. They dont loose anything for trying after you only pay if its successful.

Comment

Originally posted by Zorky View Post
                  Saw this on kotaku More on that here http://kotaku.com/5903404/people-lik...gns-last-month
                  Hehehe. Yeah. I'm down $80 thanks to 'Wasteland 2' and 'The Banner Saga' (which will get funded in less than an hour)...and I'm still looking to spend either $50 or $140 (125 + 15 for shipping) on 'Shadowrun Returns'. I'm also eyeing 'Ravaged' and (for lolz) 'Yogventures!'.
                  That $80 is the most I've spent on games in a long, long time...and there's no real guarantee, as far as I can tell, that I'll get the game after they've gotten my cash.
                  (also, of the mentioned games, only 'Banner', 'Ravaged' and 'Yog' have anything resembling gameplay to show)
                  edit: link from RPS (which was linked in that Kotaku article):
                  http://penny-arcade.com/report/edito...campaigns-are-

Optimism (or lack thereof) aside, it probably won't hurt to try and petition for 'something' for SGU (or the other SG stuff) to be crowd funded via Kickstarter.
                  I'll probably sign said petition if folks get organized enough to do it or something. If I had to pick a project to be proposed, it'd be for an 'audio book' (like the previous ones for SG-1 and SGA, I guess: if only for the sake of consistency. That and at least, hopefully, the 'cast' will be 'there'. Novels are ok, too. No comics, please...too 'hit or miss', IMHO, esp. in terms of art/depictions of established characters).
                  Last edited by gotthammer; 20 April 2012, 01:48 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

Would need a lot more than a petition. Petitions frankly never work and are unreliable (as online 1 person could sign a petition multiple times under different names).

Also to date no SGU or Stargate related petition has ever managed to get a serious number of signatures (even back when the campaigns were in their prime & everyone still had hope).

Comment

they never get sent to the intended person/people. I agree with Tanith
                      sigpic

Comment

Okay, here's the problem here.

To do this it is asking us, the fan, to become an investor in a STUDIO owned piece of work. This is insane from a legal standpoint, the amount of BS they'd have to go through would almost negate all the $'s the project would bring in.

Sorry people, the only way anything can happen with this show is if MGM want it too. They obviously do not because there is no money in it. It's time to accept the show is over and move on. All the desires for it to continue cannot support the show.
                        Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

Ah, well, most Kickstarter projects don't 'ask the fan to become an investor'.
                          (I don't even remember ever seeing one that does...then again, I don't actively scan for new projects and whatnot...)

You back the project w/ money, yes, but the 'rewards' are usually set by those who are being funded.

For the games I've backed/donated to, the range of 'rewards' could be something as small as an acknowledgement, or a copy of the game, or, for those who can afford thousands of dollars, something like lunch w/ the developers or something.
                          But in no way is 'backer', if I understand it correctly, an 'investor'.
                          You don't co-own or have stakes on the project. You give money, and you're promised a fixed reward.
                          Do you have input on the project? That depends on the developers/people behind the project.

Here's another project I'll be shelling out cash for (probably the $50 pledge thing):
                          http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...dowrun-returns
                          Look at the sidebar w/ the pledge amounts: each has a set 'reward'. Nowhere does it say that you become an 'investor'.

That said, I'm not really optimistic about this. If a petition for MGM/TPTB/whoever is made for a Kickstarter/crowd funding thing to be allowed is made, I'll sign it. If it gets past that, maybe I'll even donate (depends on what the rewards will be, tho' ).
                          sigpic

Comment

Actually, legally, the reward you get for *donating* is the payback of the investment. Giving money to these kinds of projects are an investment. It isn't a charity, nor are you purchasing goods. But indie projects can get away with this kind of thing.

What is being suggested is fans funding a studio project. The legal BS that a studio would be required to go through, including but not limited to taxation, would make any of these kind of investment projects moot. It won't happen and as idealistic as it sounds to move ahead with them, it's just not worth it.

Add to that, why would anyone think fans could raise this kind of money?
                            Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

I agree the idea is nice in principle but a studio owned project which has been out of production for a while now seems unlikely anyways. What I do like is that perhaps people will want to produce their own sci-fi material. I know a lot of people who have creative ideas (fanfiction,local comic conventions). To be honest I am tired of big studios abusing sci-fi/fantasy genres and cutting good shows. Look at what the syfy channel has become for example. I know it is idealist but a fan support show funded by the fans would be a great way to help push the genre forward. Shows would have to be low budget unless it really is popular. So I think at the moment it is far fetched but perhaps in 20 years it won't be(new technology and w/e) and it would be economically manageable to do so.
                              sigpic

Favorite quote:
                              McKay: You shot me!
                              Sheppard: Yes, Rodney, I shot you, and I said I was sorry.
                              Ronon: You shot me, too.
                              Sheppard: I’m sorry for shooting everyone!

Comment

I'd personally say...dude people in this world, country, are starving. If you're gonna donate money pick a charity. Pick a homeless person you pass on the street, give it to your neighbor who's having a hard time.

SGU is dead and done and over. The ship has sailed. Even if the franchise comes back they will not choose a version of it that just performed so poorly, it'll be rebooted with new characters, new scenarios, new everything.

this is just my PERSONAL opinion. I know of a couple of really, really good charities I'd donate to long before I'd try to revive a show.
                                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X